Shooting Wings and Length In the Paint are the Cs pressing needs...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Shooting Wings and Length In the Paint are the Cs pressing needs...

Players that the Cs should look for (in no particular order): Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, McDermott, Stauskas, Harris, Vonleh

Embiid is elite across the board. He's not a true freshman (he's a sophomore's age), but is still fairly new to the game. If he there for the taking, it's a no-brainer for Danny.

Parker and Wiggins are true freshman with lots of upside. Either of them would be great picks.

Vonleh has the length to play center. He's a good shot blocker and is elite on the D-boards (DRB: 27.6%). As a freshman, he will get better. Already has an NBA body 6'10" 242 and a great wingspan (7'4"). He's from Haverhill. Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, and Vonleh make up my "Big 4".

McDermott is a career 45.8% from beyond the arc. I wouldn't take him over the Big 4 and don't think he'll be around at 17. That said, if the Cs have their usual lottery luck, they'll likely wind up with the 6th or 7th pick. Yes, he's not a great defender, but is smart, can pass like a point forward, and can move without the ball. He's one of the smartest players in the draft. Korver and Dunleavy were effective in the playoffs. They changed the way opponents played defense. McDermott will be better than both these guys.

Harris won't be there at #17. He's a very good all around player. He shot 41.1% 3pt% in his freshman year, but regressed to 35.2% this season. Should have came out last year. Anyway, his 3pt% was poor in the 1st half, but picked up down the stretch. Has a great Steal Rate and good size (6'4" 210 lbs).

Stauskas is an elite shooter (44.2 3pt%). He's weak on D, but had improved his playmaking skills. If he's there at 17 Danny should pounce.

Players Danny should avoid like the plague: Randle, Exum, Capela, Austin, Payne

Exum gets a lot of love from the experts, but has anyone seen him play? He's 18, but reports are he can't shoot for crap and his playmaking skills are still developing. That's what the Cs need. If I wan't a D-first playmaking PG, I'd go for Elfrid Payton at 17. Taking Exum in the top 10 is the epitome of an unnecessary risk.

Randle started out strong, but when Kentucky's schedule got stronger, he became inconsistent. For a player with his skills and build, he shot poorly (51.0 on 2pt%). What scares me most is a lack of length (6'11"). He's a T-Rex. The Cs need length. They already have a bunch of smallish PFs. Sullinger is a double/double guy who is poor on 2s (47.5%).

Capela is very raw and has undeveloped skills. Not worthy of a 1st round pick.

Austin is a string bean who's weak on the D-boards. He's also blind in one eye.

Payne has all the tools to be a great stretch 4 and has good length, but he's got a narrow base. At 23, I doubt that will change. Moreover, he has a lung condition that causes early fatigue.

On the fence players: Gordon, Smart, LaVine, Adams, McDaniels

Gordon is a borderline elite player, but his 42.2% FT% gives me pause. FT% is a good indicator of shooting mechanics. Still, he's an elite wing defender who can rebound and is blessed with great court vision. Could be a point forward.

I hate Smart's game. He has trouble keeping his cool at times. He's a terrible shooter (29.9% 3pt%). He's a flopper who frequently complains to the refs. OTOH, he's awesome on D, has an elite Steal Rate, can create his own offense by attacking the rim, and has improved his playmaking. If Danny took him I'd be intrigued and terrified simultaneously.

LaVine is strictly a massive ball of potential. He's a freshman with a lot of upside, has 3pt capability, and can play the point. Yet, he slumped in the 2nd half and he shies away from contact. Could be steal.

I like Adams. His Steal Rate is one of the best in the nation. He can shoot 3s (35.6%), has great size (6'5" 220 lbs), and is an elite FT shooter. The myth of advanced stats is that it's an alternative to scouting. In reality, sabermetrics is a supplement to scouting. The stat geeks love Adams, the scouts see a guy with slow feet, a chubby body, and a lack of explosiveness. Adams does make up for weak athleticism with good length. He's still young (turns 20 7/08/14). If he's around at 17, I wouldn't mind taking him. I think he'll be an effective player.

McDaniels: Terrible BB IQ. Makes boneheaded plays. He's an elite defender at the 2 and 3. Has great length (6'6" 200 lbs, 6' 9.5" wingspan). Has some offensive skills: 30.4% 3s, 84.2% FTs. Think Tony Allen, who wore the green well.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Shooting Wings and Length In the Paint are the Cs pressing needs...

Jumping into the top 3 and landing Embiid while standing pat at 18 and getting Stauskas would be amazing.

Trade targets Asik and Gordon Hayward would help in those areas as well in case the C's end up with projects like Exum and a foreign big man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Nice analysis Pete.  The one question to me of this group is Exum, and unless we get another first rounder somehow I wouldn't use our top pick on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

Players that the Cs should look for (in no particular order): Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, McDermott, Stauskas, Harris, Vonleh

Embiid is elite across the board. He's not a true freshman (he's a sophomore's age), but is still fairly new to the game. If he there for the taking, it's a no-brainer for Danny.

Parker and Wiggins are true freshman with lots of upside. Either of them would be great picks.

Vonleh has the length to play center. He's a good shot blocker and is elite on the D-boards (DRB: 27.6%). As a freshman, he will get better. Already has an NBA body 6'10" 242 and a great wingspan (7'4"). He's from Haverhill. Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, and Vonleh make up my "Big 4".

McDermott is a career 45.8% from beyond the arc. I wouldn't take him over the Big 4 and don't think he'll be around at 17. That said, if the Cs have their usual lottery luck, they'll likely wind up with the 6th or 7th pick. Yes, he's not a great defender, but is smart, can pass like a point forward, and can move without the ball. He's one of the smartest players in the draft. Korver and Dunleavy were effective in the playoffs. They changed the way opponents played defense. McDermott will be better than both these guys.

Harris won't be there at #17. He's a very good all around player. He shot 41.1% 3pt% in his freshman year, but regressed to 35.2% this season. Should have came out last year. Anyway, his 3pt% was poor in the 1st half, but picked up down the stretch. Has a great Steal Rate and good size (6'4" 210 lbs).

Stauskas is an elite shooter (44.2 3pt%). He's weak on D, but had improved his playmaking skills. If he's there at 17 Danny should pounce.

Players Danny should avoid like the plague: Randle, Exum, Capela, Austin, Payne

Exum gets a lot of love from the experts, but has anyone seen him play? He's 18, but reports are he can't shoot for crap and his playmaking skills are still developing. That's what the Cs need. If I wan't a D-first playmaking PG, I'd go for Elfrid Payton at 17. Taking Exum in the top 10 is the epitome of an unnecessary risk.

Randle started out strong, but when Kentucky's schedule got stronger, he became inconsistent. For a player with his skills and build, he shot poorly (51.0 on 2pt%). What scares me most is a lack of length (6'11"). He's a T-Rex. The Cs need length. They already have a bunch of smallish PFs. Sullinger is a double/double guy who is poor on 2s (47.5%).

Capela is very raw and has undeveloped skills. Not worthy of a 1st round pick.

Austin is a string bean who's weak on the D-boards. He's also blind in one eye.

Payne has all the tools to be a great stretch 4 and has good length, but he's got a narrow base. At 23, I doubt that will change. Moreover, he has a lung condition that causes early fatigue.

On the fence players: Gordon, Smart, LaVine, Adams, McDaniels

Gordon is a borderline elite player, but his 42.2% FT% gives me pause. FT% is a good indicator of shooting mechanics. Still, he's an elite wing defender who can rebound and is blessed with great court vision. Could be a point forward.

I hate Smart's game. He has trouble keeping his cool at times. He's a terrible shooter (29.9% 3pt%). He's a flopper who frequently complains to the refs. OTOH, he's awesome on D, has an elite Steal Rate, can create his own offense by attacking the rim, and has improved his playmaking. If Danny took him I'd be intrigued and terrified simultaneously.

LaVine is strictly a massive ball of potential. He's a freshman with a lot of upside, has 3pt capability, and can play the point. Yet, he slumped in the 2nd half and he shies away from contact. Could be steal.

I like Adams. His Steal Rate is one of the best in the nation. He can shoot 3s (35.6%), has great size (6'5" 220 lbs), and is an elite FT shooter. The myth of advanced stats is that it's an alternative to scouting. In reality, sabermetrics is a supplement to scouting. The stat geeks love Adams, the scouts see a guy with slow feet, a chubby body, and a lack of explosiveness. Adams does make up for weak athleticism with good length. He's still young (turns 20 7/08/14). If he's around at 17, I wouldn't mind taking him. I think he'll be an effective player.

McDaniels: Terrible BB IQ. Makes boneheaded plays. He's an elite defender at the 2 and 3. Has great length (6'6" 200 lbs, 6' 9.5" wingspan). Has some offensive skills: 30.4% 3s, 84.2% FTs. Think Tony Allen, who wore the green well.

Overall, I can't really argue with Pete's readout on this...I agree with the stated premise of his thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Jumping into the top 3 and landing Embiid while standing pat at 18 and getting Stauskas would be amazing.

Trade targets Asik and Gordon Hayward would help in those areas as well in case the C's end up with projects like Exum and a foreign big man.

I'm not sold on these guys. Heyward slumped this season (30.4% 3s). Asik is a liability on offense. Both will cost draft picks. Neither are worth it. Asik's contract is horrible.

The Cs should keep the picks, pray for the ping pong balls to drop, and hope Danny drafts well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Two good sized athletic scorers.  Somebody else can develop the center project.   Buy a proven big.  Trades and we are not looking at five years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

Two good sized athletic scorers.  Somebody else can develop the center project.   Buy a proven big.  Trades and we are not looking at five years.

"Proven Bigs" aren't available unless they aren't that good. If you draft well and catch a break, it won't be a 5 year rebuild.

My idea of a successful rebuild is to make a serious run at an NBA title, rather than be a 2-4 seed that doesn't stand a chance of beating an elite opponent in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Get the shooters first, drafting centers is a big risk.  We can alwAYS BUY A center.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

ARTEM KLIMENKO!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts