Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll

We had a nice poll going on whether to sign Shaq or not.  We had over 30 votes, I think and a nice string of posts. I'ts gone.  Does anyone know what happened to it or why?  Well, we can try again.

Should the C's Sign Shaq if they can and will he he fit in and help?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll

How on earth is Shaq going to be able to run a fast break with Rondo?

Puh-leese.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPG182. Show DPG182's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll:
    How on earth is Shaq going to be able to run a fast break with Rondo? Puh-leese.
    Posted by cshashaty

The same way Perk did...Very Slowly

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : The same way Perk did...Very Slowly
    Posted by DPG182

I'll bet that Perk could beat Shaq down the floor easily.

Look, I like the Daddy. But he is a bad fit for the Celtics. They're much better off with Jermaine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPG182. Show DPG182's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : I'll bet that Perk could beat Shaq down the floor easily. Look, I like the Daddy. But he is a bad fit for the Celtics. They're much better off with Jermaine.
    Posted by cshashaty

I don't doubt that JO makes them more athletic at the Big position, but if you can have both for little $ I say give it a shot. Most teams seem to be loading up on Bigs this year, out west to compete with LA and in the East because I think the word around the league is that a big team can handle Miami. Only time will tell, but I'd be all for having both O'Neals on our roster at this point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

How on earth is Shaq going to be able to run a fast break with Rondo? Puh-leese.
    Posted by cshashaty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I copied & pasted this from another post about Shaq & you'll see I agree he won't be effectivve on fast breaks but overall, I'd still like him with us for other reasons:

There are a few things I like about having Shaq.  First, if true, I appreciate that he would like to be with us. I'm glad we beat the Cavaliers but I was interested in seeing them, if they got by Orlando, playing and beating the Lakers. He and Kobe were never really close friends. He's big & strong and good too for using up 6 fouls when some muscle is needed in the paint.

It is a known fact for years he is not a good foul shooter. But what really would concern me is due to his age, on both fast breaks, when we have the ball & perhaps he even gave us the rebound, we need think about scoring with 4 men as he will not be down the court too quickly. Also, when the opponents fast break & attempt to score quickly, Shaq will probably not be down the court to defend. On the other hand, younger Perkins was not the fastest either getting down the court. But with Shaq and Perkins & the other O'Neal, I believe we will not be out rebounded too often.. If Sheed stays, that's fine too but we all know he enjoys being out of the paint & showboating his 3 point shots too. I FEEL THAT AFTER SHAQ, OUR REAL NEED IS ANOTHER OUTSIDE FAIRLY COMPETENT 3 POINT SHOOTER AFTER ALLEN & PIERCE & I FEEL GETTING EDDIE HOUSE BACK WOULD MAKE US EXTREMELY FORMIDABLE !!!

In short, I would love to have Shaq in Green AND TO HAVE US FACE THE LAKERS AGAIN IN THE FINALS !!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Shaq is old, but the dude is still an enormous presence in the paint and will open up holes for Rondo as well as Garnett. Plus, he can get some boards, something we sorely lacked last year. I say we bring the big fellow in!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Shaq is old, but the dude is still an enormous presence in the paint and will open up holes for Rondo as well as Garnett. Plus, he can get some boards, something we sorely lacked last year. I say we bring the big fellow in!
    Posted by CelticFanLA

Well, if they do sign him I hope he comes to camp in much better shape than he was with the Cavs last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : I'll bet that Perk could beat Shaq down the floor easily. Look, I like the Daddy. But he is a bad fit for the Celtics. They're much better off with Jermaine.
    Posted by cshashaty
    Um, Perk is almost 13 years younger, and even with that fact he(Perkins) is very slow. Not to mention he has poor hands as well. Shaq isnt a running man, but Im gonna tell you this, when the Celtics "fastbreak" how often do you see Perk in the fold? Thats right, you dont see him. He is rarely involved in the C's fastbreak. C's for the majority of the game are halfcourt anyway. They only fastbreak on half the TO's the produce.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : Well, if they do sign him I hope he comes to camp in much better shape than he was with the Cavs last year.
    Posted by cshashaty

Amen.  At least in better shape than Sheed came in last season.

Interesting voting:  23 yea's and 3 nay's, one of which sites chemistry problems.

Four people so far, like me, hedge their bets by wanting an out of his contract if it does not work out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : Amen.  At least in better shape than Sheed came in last season. Interesting voting:  23 yea's and 3 nay's, one of which sites chemistry problems.   Four people so far, like me, hedge their bets by wanting an out of his contract if it does not work out.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

I don't get it why the hate for sheed? He proved his value in the playoffs?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I would much rather have Rasheed back than Shaq.  Shaq is awful, have you seen him the last two years.  Useless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from voguerp. Show voguerp's posts

In Response to Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll:
    We had a nice poll going on whether to sign Shaq or not.  We had over 30 votes, I think and a nice string of posts. I'ts gone.  Does anyone know what happened to it or why?  Well, we can try again. Should the C's Sign Shaq if they can and will he he fit in and help?
    Posted by RajonRondowski

I believe the C's should do it. Shaq was told 3 years ago that he was not able to run and perform at a high level when he was in Miami, so they shipped him off to Phoenix ridding themselves (Miami) of his 2 year/40 Mil contract. People weren't so skeptical of his arrival in Phoenix, but he finished the season averaging 14/9 and he was 36 (07-08). The following year he averaged 18/8 (08-09). He had these #'s in Phoenix's Run & Gun Style Offense. We were not able to see the big fella play his full potential in Cleveland due the thumb injury he received dur to Baby's hack earlier in the year. So it's unfortunate that the most recent activity that you can use of the big fella is from the playoffs this past year.

My point is this....He can run the fast break, as proven in Phoenix with Steve Nash & Co., and the attention that he would receive from double teams would open the lane for Rondo, PP, RA, even Nate to drive to the bucket or drive and kick to the available shooter (i.e., RA, Nate, PP, maybe T-Mac or Eddie House). The half court offense would suit him if he were coming off the bench, and I imagine Doc running the plays through him so  that the ball could move around with more fluidity, i.e., Ball goes to the post, he backs down and kicks to RA, Nate, or slashing cutters all day to the basket! I use this example as RA was used alot with the second unit last season. He fits the MOLD and IDENTITY of the C's, age, wear & tear, heart, hustle, and exhibits a championship mentality.

I see Sheed coming back for one more go around...with that being said, Shaq signs for the VT, and we will be stacked with bigs for the upcoming season, so hopefully I can say "Welcome To Boston Big Leprechaun!" Holla

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Posted by cshashaty

Perk beats him easily, but despite Rondo the C's are largely a half court offense, which takes 20 seconds or so to run a play.  If not that, they are about a 2 second offense on a break.  Even Shaq would be set in C's half court offense.  They are also a very good defensive team, even before the lumpering Perk/Sheed were set and presumably so for Shaq  -- in the 15 minutes or so they'd use him.

I can get on board the Sheed wagon if he comes back.  He played well until Christmas and took a paid vaca until the playoffs, but he would be better than most others they can get.  Shaq though offers them an inside game they could certainly use vs LA and Orlando.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : I don't get it why the hate for sheed? He proved his value in the playoffs?!
    Posted by MichBelgium

I luv Sheed, no hate for him here.  I just wish he had come to play in shape.  He never did get into playing shape.  But he was awesome in the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from voguerp. Show voguerp's posts

In Response to Re: Should C's Sign Shaq? Poll : I luv Sheed, no hate for him here.  I just wish he had come to play in shape.  He never did get into playing shape.  But he was awesome in the playoffs.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

I Agree!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Incredible that people still would sign this fat load. He is the worst pick and roll defender in the history of basketball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Personally, the haters on Shaq here don't know basketball, talent, talent evaluation, or specifically how to get differing talents to gel together. Shaq is slow, cant shoot free throws, has a poor to non existant short midrange game, but what he can do is clog up the lane, get loads of defensive rebounds, shot block and keep people out of the paint. He is also has very good hands catching the pass and is himself a very good passer. He also is above average at getting offensive rebounds and laying screens. At his age and shape is can give a realistic 15-20 minutes on average. Ill take that. In fact if we could do a S&T, I would love to see Sheed stay one more year(because I like his game when he plays)and do a S&T with PERKINS. So if Sheed stays, get Shaq with Perkins contract. If Sheed is retiring, then use his contract for the S&T.

Either way though, this team can and does need Shaq if they want to seriously compete for the championship 2 more years. Otherwise as it is right now, we are a 50-60 win team that CAN go deep in the playoffs, but we are still a quality big man away from a realistic chance at #18.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I was just watching a SF Giants game and Shaq was in San Francisco. They showed a picture of him. He's lost a lot of weight. Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow, the giants announcers saw him and commented on the good condition that he is in. They said" whatever conditioning program he's on, it's working.
        It seems like Shaq means business this summer and will come in camp weighing much less than last season. Now I'm convinced the C's should go after him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Maybe the Shaq of 3 or 4 years ago but not now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

In the paint is where things happen. King Kong can still use his muscle, and with all the other big men on the Celts,it's like calling on ole number 28 to come on the seen to ruff it up a little!!! Shaq clearing house...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

Ole number 28 is Jim "Lesky" Leskatoff. And was he a brusser.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

After 38 votes 81.5% of us want to sign the Shaqster, the ShaqAttack, the Shaq-Miester while 18.5% are oppposed to the Big Lug coming to Boston.

Get your vote in before somone deletes this poll again!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Posted by cshashaty

He won't. But he could get some rebounds to get fast breaks going. Rondo's too fast for anyone anyway.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

Against Miami: he can guard Z (slow) or Joel Anthony (no offense)
    Against Orlando: he can guard Gortat or Howard for 5 minutes.

If a team doesn't have a big body at center, they are dead against him.

At that price, it is a bargain.  Jermaine O'Neal is playing on one leg.  KG has questionable knees.  Perk is out for a while.  Erden is a rookie.  Chances are KG or JO will get hurt at some point. It is better to have too many big bodies than not enough. 

Sections
Shortcuts