Should we read anything into Melo's ten minutes of game action yesterday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Should we read anything into Melo's ten minutes of game action yesterday?

I believe that the C's do not see as much in Melo as they saw last year at this time.

He only got ten minutes of action yesterday in the last of the summer league games down in Orlando.  He also got no stats from yesterday in his ten minutes.

I cannot think that he was too tired and could only play ten minutes as he is a young guy who has played for hours on end in the past.  Plus, he is trying to earn a roster spot so he really can not let himself have to sit down because of fatigue issues.

He has been pretty disappointing in this year's summer camp.  I can see him getting released during training camp if he does not get traded before then.  Iverson looks to be every bit as good and maybe even better than Melo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Should we read anything into Melo's ten minutes of game action yesterday?

I am a huge Melo support, BUT, his performance in summer league has been extremely disappointing!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

My guess is they know he will be in the d league again this year and want to let the other bigs play so they can get a better look at them. Also, there is one more game in Orlando on friday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I believe that the C's do not see as much in Melo as they saw last year at this time.

He only got ten minutes of action yesterday in the last of the summer league games down in Orlando.  He also got no stats from yesterday in his ten minutes.

I cannot think that he was too tired and could only play ten minutes as he is a young guy who has played for hours on end in the past.  Plus, he is trying to earn a roster spot so he really can not let himself have to sit down because of fatigue issues.

He has been pretty disappointing in this year's summer camp.  I can see him getting released during training camp if he does not get traded before then.  Iverson looks to be every bit as good and maybe even better than Melo.

OR, they may be planning/working on a deal that could include him being shipped and don't want to subject him to untimely injury. And, they played him only for a few minutes just to make sure he got some time in case things don't transpire. Either way, I don't think you can use sumer league participation as a guage on whether they cut their losses with him or not. Either way, they went into this situation knowing he was more than only a 2-yr project. They lose nothing by keeping him and stashing him in the NBADL a bit longer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

At this point who would want him?  He looks worse than many of the big men he played against in those games, and many of them are not going to make it.  If he can somehow turn it around, great, but there is not much to say until then.  They gambled and went for a very raw specimen with great size, but it does not look like this one is going to work out.  Most likely his option will not be picked up after next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

At this point who would want him?  He looks worse than many of the big men he played against in those games, and many of them are not going to make it.  If he can somehow turn it around, great, but there is not much to say until then.  They gambled and went for a very raw specimen with great size, but it does not look like this one is going to work out.  Most likely his option will not be picked up after next season.

7-ft athletes who have potential to play in the NBA are very rare. More time, I say. Maybe you are right though, Scub.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcceltics. Show jcceltics's posts

I wouldn't invest anymore time with him.  He looks completly lost out there, the 4th line center (can't think oft his name) can at least catch the ball a make a layup.  It's a matter of time before he's playing in Europe, lets just cut are loses.  I was pulling for him too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He is not a lost cause yet.  If next year at this time we're still not seeing much then, maybe then, will I concede that he's not an NBA-calibre 5.  We all need to sit back and realise this guy has nothing but time to improve.  It's not like they need him in the chase for #18 any time soon.  If he develops, great.  If not, he'll be part of a trade package at some point.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

He is not a lost cause yet.  If next year at this time we're still not seeing much then, maybe then, will I concede that he's not an NBA-calibre 5.  We all need to sit back and realise this guy has nothing but time to improve.  It's not like they need him in the chase for #18 any time soon.  If he develops, great.  If not, he'll be part of a trade package at some point.   

Agreed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

7-ft athletes who have potential to play in the NBA are very rare. More time, I say. Maybe you are right though, Scub.......

I understand why they did it.  I am not saying I know better or smarter than them, but a bad pick is a bad pick.  One more year, that is what Melo have to prove that he deserves an extension.  Meanwhile, onward (or downward) to the next draft is hopefully where the team is going.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Melo's contract is still guaranteed, so they probably just want to get looks at the other guys  before the summer league is over.

I understand melo is a project, but  I am concerned with melo's lack of improvment. He just doesnt seem to get it. His boxing out is still awful, he put his hands on the guy instead of using his butt (and he def has enuff of that to spare, looks like he gained a few lbs) he still fumbles everything thrown his way and when he does actually catch a pass he rarely finishes with authority.  

He has been clearly outplayed by this years rookie 2nd round pick iversen.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Should we read anything into him only getting 10 minutes?

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/07/boston_celtics_summer_league_2_1.html

"Fab Melo only played four second-half minutes, giving him 10 total. He finished with one point, one block and zero rebounds."

Yeah ... For a 7-footer that is only asked to protect the rim and rebound his performance in summer league was abysmal .... For the four games played he averaged 5 Pts, 3 rbs/game.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Melo will never be a stat stuffer, but when I watch him play, he just looks horrible.  No improvment. He is one of the most lost players ive ever watched put on an nba jersey. 

Watching iversen, the guys is a real physical presence. He is setting very strong screens, bodying people in the post, reallly boxing out well. Iversen fouls a bit much, but other than olynyk domination hes been the single  biggest surprise to me in the summer league. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I was trying to read a lot into why Drummond was held out after a stellar first game.  Turns out that there was not much to read.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How about trading him to Sacramento for Fredette? I'm sure the Kings would like to rid themselves of Jimmer's contract.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98UZSHWKN-c

found this rarey seen clip of Fab dancing.

he does have some moves

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

[QUOTE]

How about trading him to Sacramento for Fredette? I'm sure the Kings would like to rid themselves of Jimmer's contract.

[/QUOTE]

Ha! You're a nut dude! LMAO......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Fab is awful. I would rather see Colton Iverson on this team every day and twice on every day that ends in the letter 'Y'

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Demrat. Show Demrat's posts

I held out hope for Melo, watched the first couple summer league games,  I noticed he came to camp pretty overweight for a guy trying to make an NBA team.  Compare to Perk a few years ago, Perk took several years to develop into a serviceable big on the court, but every year he refined his body more and more.  Melo comes back for his second year 30 lbs over-weight, not real promising.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

Wasn't he a three year project when they drafted him? Its been one year lets give him some time, also whats the harm of having him in the d league?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Demrat's comment:

I held out hope for Melo, watched the first couple summer league games,  I noticed he came to camp pretty overweight for a guy trying to make an NBA team.  Compare to Perk a few years ago, Perk took several years to develop into a serviceable big on the court, but every year he refined his body more and more.  Melo comes back for his second year 30 lbs over-weight, not real promising.

Look, anyone who is learning the game and needs a lot of work and shows up overweight like Melo did is not serious about his game... if anything, he should have shown up in great shape and willing to do anything to improve.... this guy is so lacking in almost every skill needed to be a good basketball player... other than being 7ft I see nothing that I like about him...could I be wrong? hmm maybe but I serious doubt it...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am not sure that I want to see him even kept in Maine because they would have to use up one of their 15 roster spots for him to play for the Red Claws.

Sections
Shortcuts