Slippery Sam's Forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Slippery Sam's Forum

In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum : I agree with a lot of what avenger says. I don't agree with the attacks on Johnny Most and Heinsohn but the general mood of BDC has been and continues to be pretty intolerant of opposing views. I actually think that Celtic goons are even more mean-spirited than most any of the Laker fans, no matter how obnoxious the Laker "trolls" tend to be. To me, the Celtic "trolls" are worse... and certainly set the tone that brings down the level of discourse here. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

So..........you agree that when he first came on here, it was NOT to stir up trouble, but, rather to engage in "civil discourse?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum : I agree with a lot of what avenger says. I don't agree with the attacks on Johnny Most and Heinsohn but the general mood of BDC has been and continues to be pretty intolerant of opposing views. I actually think that Celtic goons are even more mean-spirited than most any of the Laker fans, no matter how obnoxious the Laker "trolls" tend to be. To me, the Celtic "trolls" are worse... and certainly set the tone that brings down the level of discourse here. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    It definitely goes both ways. While I won't make excuses for the behavior of non-Celtics fans, the behavior of some Celtics fans is certainly no more restrained.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum : Greenkiller was never that bad anyway.  He dished it out and he took it.  Again none of this is a big deal.  It's a Celtics board, it's free and people from all over the world have the opportunity to post on it.  What else would you want?
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    Well said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Reading Sam's posts works better than Ambien or Lunesta. Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Redley34, I doubt that any of us have ever threatened to sue another poster on the BDC either. Surprised

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 6/2/2011
    Last: 7/27/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a1c2982b3-5b42-44be-82ea-0be77932bcdc&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:1c2982b3-5b42-44be-82ea-0be77932bcdcPost:74aa6e39-818e-4815-b94f-80c5a6541d4f">Re: Slippery Sam's Forum:
    In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum : Greenkiller was never that bad anyway.  He dished it out and he took it.  Again none of this is a big deal.  It's a Celtics board, it's free and people from all over the world have the opportunity to post on it.  What else would you want?
    Posted by snakeoil123

True - he would right "my bad" when wrong.  He would admit he couldn't spell, and some of his pictures were entertaining to say the least.  I never minded him - or any that could dish it out AND take it (which are few and far between)
    -------------------------------------

Hi pot, you must be kettle. Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 6/2/2011
    Last: 7/27/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a1c2982b3-5b42-44be-82ea-0be77932bcdc&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:1c2982b3-5b42-44be-82ea-0be77932bcdcPost:6334b236-2c43-463c-9516-e63a4deec2a5">Re: Slippery Sam's Forum:
    Thanks to both "Spanker" and Sam...........you guys nailed it.....I also cannot imagine going over to a Laker forum and getting into heated and childish debates....I'm sure that very soon, I would realize that my presence was not welcomed....and then to stay onboard and keep it up...?  ......it makes no sense to me...
    Posted by Duke4

I have tried
    ----------------------------------

Of course you have Redley34, of course you have.

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Red16-Russ11 For a while, I felt strange about Russ getting a statue.  Not that I think he doesn't deserve one; of course it's warranted.  It's just that Russ has always given so much credit to his teammates that I almost had the feeling he'd be uncomfortable unless the statue included some of them. But then I reminded myself that the statue isn't mainly for winning.  A major part of it involves what he stood for as a man who withstood a huge amount of injustice with amazing dignity.  And a lot of that involved Russ and Russ alone. To answer your question, I hope to be there—schedule permitting.  I wish you could make it, and I hope you get to see it some day soon. To those who remind us that there are two side to the so-called "troll" story, it's true that antagonism on either "side" just invites more antagonism.  I've had long private discussions with Lakers fans who are on our board, and they deserve tremendous credit for being willing to take on more than half of the work burden in order to be viewed as responsible, sincere visitors to another team's board. I don't at all mean they had to compromise their opinions. • But they did have to question their real motives for being on a Celtics board; and, if those motives were to rattle the chains of Celtics fans, they had to realize they had two choices: change or leave. • They had to be more careful in how they worded things so they wouldn't appear to be creating or fanning flames. • They had to recognize that it wasn't a level playing field; comments might sometimes sound different coming from them than coming from Celtics fans. • They had to be particularly sensitive to how their words sounded to Celtics fans on a Celtics board. • Maybe they had to spend a little extra time explaining their motives in making a particular comment to make certain their motives would not be misconstrued. On their part, Celtics fans also had to make some concessions. • They had to reject the temptation to assume that everything written by a Lakers fan on a Celtics board is automatically an anti-Celtics slur. • They had to accept the fact that Lakers fans can be very knowledgeable and can sincerely disagree with Celtics fans without deliberately trying to be antagonistic. • Sometimes they had to give a Lakers fan the benefit of the doubt unless the Lakers fan proved to be unworthy of that trust. • When a Lakers fan did appear to be trying hard to be a constructive member of the Forum, it was important to reinforce that person's efforts through return posts. It did take a while, and a number of "false starts," but there now exists enough mutual trust so that sometimes one Lakers fan will admonish another Lakers fan or a Celtics fan will admonish another Celtics fan before things get out of hand.  That's a big help to moderators if it's done in ways that don't embarrass anyone.  In other words, use the private message feature to criticize rather than going public, which only heightens embarrassment and invites a nasty backlash. Lakersavenger says to me, "I don't recollect ever reading anything from you trying to pipe down the instigators of those trolls."  Well, in the first place, Lakersavenger, you never saw nearly all of what I wrote on this forum.  Much of it was private, for reasons expressed above.  Second, I was not a moderator on this forum and didn't feel it was up to me to give out wholesale advice on how to act. Speaking of moderating, the role of the moderating is another important factor in successfully integrating Lakers fans into a forum like this.  We believe in proactive moderating that doesn't simply whack people when they're already serious offenders.  When a moderator sees a potential problem looming, we feel it's important to nip it in the bud.  Usually a fairly low key warning, such as, "Just a little warning about not calling names" will do the job—preferably privately, but publicly if it's the only option, in light of how fast the problem is escalating.  Generally, if people know their actions are borderline and are being watched closely, they'll back off.  If they don't, we'll sometimes delete the offensive language and replace it with something that contains the same meaning but is less offensive; and we'll send a private message telling the culprit that we've done it and why.  Sterner measures, such as deleting an entire message or even threatening a ban, may follow, but fortunately they're not usually necessary. One of the things that means a lot to members of our board is credibility.  They know that, if they act like doofusses, their credibility will plummet.  And, on a board that's very concerned with quality of content, credibility is important. I don't want to appear to be preaching, but I like a lot of apparently frustrated people on this board, and I hope that sharing some ideas (with no ulterior motives) might be of help.  If not, at least I gave it a shot. Take care, SlipperySam
    Posted by SlipperySam[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, Sam.  Always good to hear from you.  I will follow the statue ceremony on youtube!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Red16-Russ11 For a while, I felt strange about Russ getting a statue.  Not that I think he doesn't deserve one; of course it's warranted.  It's just that Russ has always given so much credit to his teammates that I almost had the feeling he'd be uncomfortable unless the statue included some of them. But then I reminded myself that the statue isn't mainly for winning.  A major part of it involves what he stood for as a man who withstood a huge amount of injustice with amazing dignity.  And a lot of that involved Russ and Russ alone. To answer your question, I hope to be there—schedule permitting.  I wish you could make it, and I hope you get to see it some day soon. To those who remind us that there are two side to the so-called "troll" story, it's true that antagonism on either "side" just invites more antagonism.  I've had long private discussions with Lakers fans who are on our board, and they deserve tremendous credit for being willing to take on more than half of the work burden in order to be viewed as responsible, sincere visitors to another team's board. I don't at all mean they had to compromise their opinions. • But they did have to question their real motives for being on a Celtics board; and, if those motives were to rattle the chains of Celtics fans, they had to realize they had two choices: change or leave. • They had to be more careful in how they worded things so they wouldn't appear to be creating or fanning flames. • They had to recognize that it wasn't a level playing field; comments might sometimes sound different coming from them than coming from Celtics fans. • They had to be particularly sensitive to how their words sounded to Celtics fans on a Celtics board. • Maybe they had to spend a little extra time explaining their motives in making a particular comment to make certain their motives would not be misconstrued. On their part, Celtics fans also had to make some concessions. • They had to reject the temptation to assume that everything written by a Lakers fan on a Celtics board is automatically an anti-Celtics slur. • They had to accept the fact that Lakers fans can be very knowledgeable and can sincerely disagree with Celtics fans without deliberately trying to be antagonistic. • Sometimes they had to give a Lakers fan the benefit of the doubt unless the Lakers fan proved to be unworthy of that trust. • When a Lakers fan did appear to be trying hard to be a constructive member of the Forum, it was important to reinforce that person's efforts through return posts. It did take a while, and a number of "false starts," but there now exists enough mutual trust so that sometimes one Lakers fan will admonish another Lakers fan or a Celtics fan will admonish another Celtics fan before things get out of hand.  That's a big help to moderators if it's done in ways that don't embarrass anyone.  In other words, use the private message feature to criticize rather than going public, which only heightens embarrassment and invites a nasty backlash. Lakersavenger says to me, "I don't recollect ever reading anything from you trying to pipe down the instigators of those trolls."  Well, in the first place, Lakersavenger, you never saw nearly all of what I wrote on this forum.  Much of it was private, for reasons expressed above.  Second, I was not a moderator on this forum and didn't feel it was up to me to give out wholesale advice on how to act. Speaking of moderating, the role of the moderating is another important factor in successfully integrating Lakers fans into a forum like this.  We believe in proactive moderating that doesn't simply whack people when they're already serious offenders.  When a moderator sees a potential problem looming, we feel it's important to nip it in the bud.  Usually a fairly low key warning, such as, "Just a little warning about not calling names" will do the job—preferably privately, but publicly if it's the only option, in light of how fast the problem is escalating.  Generally, if people know their actions are borderline and are being watched closely, they'll back off.  If they don't, we'll sometimes delete the offensive language and replace it with something that contains the same meaning but is less offensive; and we'll send a private message telling the culprit that we've done it and why.  Sterner measures, such as deleting an entire message or even threatening a ban, may follow, but fortunately they're not usually necessary. One of the things that means a lot to members of our board is credibility.  They know that, if they act like doofusses, their credibility will plummet.  And, on a board that's very concerned with quality of content, credibility is important. I don't want to appear to be preaching, but I like a lot of apparently frustrated people on this board, and I hope that sharing some ideas (with no ulterior motives) might be of help.  If not, at least I gave it a shot. Take care, SlipperySam

Hi Sam,
    don't post here much anymore,  just read this as well as your site.  I think it would be nice for your to post Greenkillers remarks that he put on your site.  I thought it was really good.  Keep up the good site you have going.  Good reading.  Hopefully one day I will start posting there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

First off, let me say I'm not looking to be a buzzkill here. But how does Sam or anyone else know that message was really from Greenkiller? I mean, it is a very kind and thoughtful sending of good wishes and it is great if it is in fact from him, but it just didn't sound like him to me. I don't believe he's frequented the Celtic boards in quite a while. Just one man's observation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slippery Sam's Forum : Hi Sam, don't post here much anymore,  just read this as well as your site.  I think it would be nice for your to post Greenkillers remarks that he put on your site.  I thought it was really good.  Keep up the good site you have going.  Good reading.  Hopefully one day I will start posting there.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

I hope to join you.....maybe after I win the lottery...lol

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]Re: It's All About the Money posted at 7/27/2011 7:40 PM EDT               Next to Rico, no one eggs on the trolls more than the guy with "proof" and the best "cut & paste" archive at BDC. Take his advice and use the "ignore" button while he does the exact opposite .... HAHAHA
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

You're turning on Rico now when it was not so long ago that it was Mployee8 and Rico versus Fierce? 

You're such a hypocrite. Just saying.Laughing

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]"If you want to talk about egging the trolls ..." LOL ... That's right .... I was egging on the biggest troll here at BDC. Even you figured that out and provided the proof in your own words ... Thnx!

You do realize that you act more like a troll than a Celtic fan, right?

It's also really lame that you wait for Fierce to go away before you start posting again. You remind me of one of those farm roosters. lol

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlipperySam. Show SlipperySam's posts

The reason I know it was Greenkiller is that, as moderator, I have access to the email addresses of posters.  He posted his usual nonsense early in the existence of our board, and his email appears to contain his actual name.  Whether or not it's really his name, it was the same, distinctive email address in the post that I'm not repeating at someone's request.  So no buzz killed this time around.

His message seemed sincere to the six administrators of our board (including myself).  And we've always tried to give the benefit of the doubt to people who seem genuine in their desire to change.

Here's his message:

----------

Sam I have been reading this board since it started and I have decided not to intrude in this board after I only did it once. I am not here to stir up things or make anybody mad but I would appreciate it if you told Jeb how sorry I am for his health and that ever since he got sick I have been praying for him. Tell him to not give up because I guarantee him God will show us his glory and that his miracle is coming, have no doubt about that. I am not here to post either and want to say I'm sorry to all on this board who I have offended in the past at BDC and here for a very short period of time. As I write I have tears rolling down my face because in a certain way all of you have become part of my daily life as I read this board every day and come here more than other pages just to read all of your opinions. When Jebs health went south I couldn't stop thinking and praying for him the day it happened and felt ashamed of how I behaved and even called him names and I feel very awful but did not want to come here and write because I thought he was gonna be just fine. So tonight I decided I asked for forgiveness from him and all on the board who I have offended and honest to God I mean it. Sam I know you are a very smart man and know that people make mistakes like I have but I did not do it with an intention to aggravate people I did it just for fun. I am not making excuses for my behavior just thought it would be nice if I said what I felt in this terrible time. I simply feel like a piece of sh!t and I am sorry. Tell Jeb to speak words of faith all the time and the miracle will take form. I would like for you to give this part to Jeb for him to read every day: Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it. Proverbs 12:18, Reckless words pierce like a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 25:11 A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings Silver. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
    I know I do not deserve any pity from you or any other board members or any favor but It's very important for me and for Jeb to know and to read the verses I have written. Thank you in advance.

Greenkiller

----------------

After we published his comments, he also wrote another message to me in which he apologized for his use of words because English is his second language (which I recalled from the BDC days).

Sam

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]That was fast ... 21st is the first gang member in support of Fierce ... who'll be next, kybested, ConnectingRod, Tachometrix or kycleptic? You guys are so predictable .... and worried about the hours I keep cause your boy has to go to summer school and needs his binky time. So concerned, I'm touched!

You really think Fierce is the only poster on this board that you attacked?

Remember the 1972 Olympic gold medal game discussion we had a while back? Didn't you side with a troll named icnd?

You're not only egging the trolls, you're encouraging the trolls to post more nonsense. You're such a hypocrite. Just saying! lol

Thank you for that (72' Gold Metal Game) ... 21st resides next to fierce in the dull knife section.

Re: I feel bad for chicago/their fans

posted at 5/27/2011 12:48 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb&plckUserId=5969efe8ccb239af0914573e7f81edeb">
    First: 7/8/2008
    Last: 7/28/2011
    In Response to Re: I feel bad for chicago/their fans:
    In Response to Re: I feel bad for chicago/their fans : What is this, a court of law?  I don't need to prove to you beyond a reasonable doubt that FIBA officials are not always objective and un-biased.  If you still want to think that international officials are perfect and holy, then read about the 1972 Olympics:http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/moly_1972.html Baseless accusation?  How about the original poster of this thread who claims that the officials are siding with the Heat.  Do you put him under the same scrutiny? So ONE NBA official out of thousands is jailed for gambling on the game and this makes the game a sham forever?  This is as dumb as saying MLB is a scam because ONE coach, Pete Rose gambled, and the NFL is a mockery because of the Bill Belichick Spy-Gate scandal.
    Posted by icnd

Thank you for that (72' Gold Metal Game) ... 21st resides next to fierce in the dull knife section.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Hey Mployee8, GET UP! GET UP! I'M STILL WAITING FOR TREY THOMPKINS TO SLIDE......................TO 25. LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

[QUOTE]The reason I know it was Greenkiller is that, as moderator, I have access to the email addresses of posters.  He posted his usual nonsense early in the existence of our board, and his email appears to contain his actual name.  Whether or not it's really his name, it was the same, distinctive email address in the post that I'm not repeating at someone's request.  So no buzz killed this time around. His message seemed sincere to the six administrators of our board (including myself).  And we've always tried to give the benefit of the doubt to people who seem genuine in their desire to change. Here's his message: ---------- Sam I have been reading this board since it started and I have decided not to intrude in this board after I only did it once. I am not here to stir up things or make anybody mad but I would appreciate it if you told Jeb how sorry I am for his health and that ever since he got sick I have been praying for him. Tell him to not give up because I guarantee him God will show us his glory and that his miracle is coming, have no doubt about that. I am not here to post either and want to say I'm sorry to all on this board who I have offended in the past at BDC and here for a very short period of time. As I write I have tears rolling down my face because in a certain way all of you have become part of my daily life as I read this board every day and come here more than other pages just to read all of your opinions. When Jebs health went south I couldn't stop thinking and praying for him the day it happened and felt ashamed of how I behaved and even called him names and I feel very awful but did not want to come here and write because I thought he was gonna be just fine. So tonight I decided I asked for forgiveness from him and all on the board who I have offended and honest to God I mean it. Sam I know you are a very smart man and know that people make mistakes like I have but I did not do it with an intention to aggravate people I did it just for fun. I am not making excuses for my behavior just thought it would be nice if I said what I felt in this terrible time. I simply feel like a piece of sh!t and I am sorry. Tell Jeb to speak words of faith all the time and the miracle will take form. I would like for you to give this part to Jeb for him to read every day: Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it. Proverbs 12:18, Reckless words pierce like a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 25:11 A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings Silver. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. I know I do not deserve any pity from you or any other board members or any favor but It's very important for me and for Jeb to know and to read the verses I have written. Thank you in advance. Greenkiller ---------------- After we published his comments, he also wrote another message to me in which he apologized for his use of words because English is his second language (which I recalled from the BDC days). Sam
    Greenkiller showed class and compassion in his remarks about Jeb! God is in the forgiveness business, we need to be there too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Amen!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Mployee8 makes GreenKiller look like a saint! Just saying. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Amen!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Seconded!

Sections
Shortcuts