Smart looked like a stud today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Smart looked like a stud today

Smart was a different player today.  Showing his formidable defensive skills and hitting threes.  His pugnaciousness on defense is something to see from a rookie.  So I guess you could say I am doing a 180.  One game though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Re: Smart looked like a stud today

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart was a different player today.  Showing his formidable defensive skills and hitting threes.  His pugnaciousness on defense is something to see from a rookie.  So I guess you could say I am doing a 180.  One game though.

[/QUOTE]

Pressey was the exact opposite. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Smart looked like a stud because he is one. Wade better retire because Smart will dog him for the rest of his career.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart looked like a stud because he is one. Wade better retire because Smart will dog him for the rest of his career.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe hyper-extend Wade's elbow to earn some cred with Rondo...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

He shot 5-14 and 2-9 on threes.

Seriously...

He will be a good player, but as many poms poms are being waived around here...he can't shoot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to Celticsfan1984's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

Maybe hyper-extend Wade's elbow to earn some cred with Rondo...

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He is finding his stroke, some of the "Smart is no good" threads are going to make for some good reading a year from now.  I don't think he found himself until the 4th quarter, that is the NCAA Smart and how he will look going forward.  All he needed was to find that NBA three.

If anyone else was considering recanting I would suggest now?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is finding his stroke, some of the "Smart is no good" threads are going to make for some good reading a year from now.  I don't think he found himself until the 4th quarter, that is the NCAA Smart and how he will look going forward.  All he needed was to find that NBA three.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I always "liked" Smart.  I wanted Vonleh, as everyone knows, and said we should only take Smart if we trade Rondo.

He is going to be a good player - and I still think (esp if CLE gets Love), that he will start once we get rid of Rondo, either via Free Agency, or trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Who said he was "no good'? He is good.  Not great though. Decent starter material.

I know one guy on here already compared him to Gary Payton. Can you imagine?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Maybe he meant Elfrid Payton.

HAHAHA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Classic tweener, too big, not athletic enough, can't shoot... Instant karma is the best.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

[QUOTE]

Classic tweener, too big, not athletic enough, can't shoot... Instant karma is the best.  

[/QUOTE]

Who?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

He did look better than both Gordon and Payton, who can't shoot either.  I could see his shot getting better and he will out muscle a lot of guards. He is never going to be an above the rim type player like Rose or Westbrook,but than again no one else is either.  I think he will be good enough that if i were Danny, i would be making plans to trade Rondo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAHAHA

[/QUOTE] +1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem w/ Smart is that he was picked # 6. If he was picked in the 20's he would get a pass for life (like u know who). Although people some still hold out hope for ' freak of nurture' Green(picked at # 5) in actuality he should have been picked in the 20's while RR should have been picked @ # 5...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

All I'll add is that Smart doesn't need to be jacking threes.  I get that it's summer league and he's working on his form and getting used to the three point line.  He can get to anywhere on the floor with his ball handling abilities and I hope Stevens instills in him that mastering a mid-range jumper could make him a very effective player.  I think he'll improve as a shooter, but hopefully one that doesn't just settle for the three. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I'll add is that Smart doesn't need to be jacking threes.  I get that it's summer league and he's working on his form and getting used to the three point line.  He can get to anywhere on the floor with his ball handling abilities and I hope Stevens instills in him that mastering a mid-range jumper could make him a very effective player.  I think he'll improve as a shooter, but hopefully one that doesn't just settle for the three. 

[/QUOTE]

Amen.  +1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Looked up some stats on Payton.  Did you know that he didn't average double figures until his 3rd year in the league?

Did you know he averaged 7 pts and 5 assists in 27 mins as a rookie?

Of course, he was 22 then.

So, if Smart can give us 7 and 5 in 27 mins as a TWENTY yr old, I'll take it.

Not saying he is or even could be The Glove - merely stating that Smart at 20 could give us what Payton gave at 22.  And BY 22, Smart could be giving what Payton gave at 25................

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

As for Smart taking too many three's - YES, we can all agree on that.

However, can we also agree that we do not know what he was told by DA and BS (gotta change those initials, Brad)?  Maybe he was told to work on his outside shot.  We don't know, it's only summer league.

I see him gaining confidence, and I hope he keeps improving.  Nice pick, Danny!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I'll add is that Smart doesn't need to be jacking threes.  I get that it's summer league and he's working on his form and getting used to the three point line. .......I think he'll improve as a shooter, but hopefully he doesn't just settle for the three. [quote]

The game has changed. Players are told not to settle for two when a three is available. It looked like Smart was told to shoot the long ball at every opportunity, so he did. He took and made two very effectively using screens, which not all players do well. He stayed close to the screen so the defender was nullified. Lots of players drift past the screen allowing the defender to recover. Smart simply has good instincts. Skills are learned and he has time, but I certainly wouldn't hand him a team at this point. He hasn't played against seasoned players yet, so he probably has a lot of adjustments to make.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem w/ Smart is that he was picked # 6. If he was picked in the 20's he would get a pass for life (like u know who). Although people some still hold out hope for ' freak of nurture' Green(picked at # 5) in actuality he should have been picked in the 20's while RR should have been picked @ # 5...

[/QUOTE]

Good point. If he was picked in the 20's I would love him right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Looked up some stats on Payton.  Did you know that he didn't average double figures until his 3rd year in the league?

Not saying he is or even could be The Glove - merely stating that Smart at 20 could give us what Payton gave at 22.  And BY 22, Smart could be giving what Payton gave at 25................

[/QUOTE]

Comparing a player to a Hall of Famer before he ever played a game in the NBA is just wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAHAHA

[/QUOTE]

I think E.Payton looks much more like Gary than Marcus does. Elfrid has the same long, lean body and harasses defenders. Smart uses his thick frame to body people and stay in front of them and has decent arm length to disrupt ball handlers. At the end of the day, I have been and am rooting for the kid. I just called it like I saw it and now I am saying he looks better. Ultimately though, we dont know dannys plan for him so I remain calm before I get excited and he ends up on another team. One year of learning and playing some backup minutes should have him ready to run the show in 15'

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Comparing a player to a Hall of Famer before he ever played a game in the NBA is just wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Where did I do that?

I said let's wait until the end of his rookie year, and see if the stats are similar.

I further said, "I'm not saying he is, or could ever be The Glove"

I further said Payton was 22 and Smart is 20................

Let's see his stats at the end of the year, shall we?

I hope Marcus Smart is the first Marcus Smart, and has a great career as Marcus Smart.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Where did I do that?

I said let's wait until the end of his rookie year, and see if the stats are similar.

I further said, "I'm not saying he is, or could ever be The Glove"

I further said Payton was 22 and Smart is 20................

Let's see his stats at the end of the year, shall we?

I hope Marcus Smart is the first Marcus Smart, and has a great career as Marcus Smart.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say you did do that. Just saying there is absolutely zero reason to compare Smart and Payton.