Some Cool Celtic History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Some Cool Celtic History

I was taking a look at our team's history as far as Hall of Famers go......I found a very unique statistic.....the Celtics drafted ten players who spent their entire career in Boston....I haven't researched the entire league but I would bet that no other team has as many career players (the Lakers also drafted ten future Hall of Famers but only seven retired as Lakers....Gail Goodrich was lost to the expansion draft when Phoenix was added to the league...Slater Martin and Clyde Lovellette were traded)....interesting note....Lovellette was an original Laker and won a championship.....then retired as a Celtic after winning a championship....we can only hope history repeats itself with Shaq!

The ten players played a total of 117 combined years and each one went out with multiple titles (only Elgin Baylor, my favorite Laker, failed to go out with a title as he retired early in the season that the LA squad won it's first title)...

The ten Celtics as listed by length of tenure:

John Havlicek (16 years)
    Bob Cousy, Bill Russell,  Larry Bird, and Kevin McHale (13)
    Sam Jones (12)
    Dave Cowans (10)
    Tommy Heinson, KC Jones, and Frank Ramsey (9 each)

Note: Bob Cousy and Dave Cowans both "unretired" briefly...

The Celtics also acquired twelve additional future Hall of Famers....interestingly enough, eight of them retired as Celtics....another historical first, I believe...

Can anyone tell that I have too much time on my hands as I wait for another season of Celtic basketball?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: Some Cool Celtic History

In Response to Some Cool Celtic History:

The Celtics also acquired twelve additional future Hall of Famers....interestingly enough, eight of them retired as Celtics....another historical first, I believe... Can anyone tell that I have too much time on my hands as I wait for another season of Celtic basketball?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

-

Real nice post, Duke.  I name you Honorary Resident Celtic Historian.

But I'd be interested to know the names of the 12 additional Hall of Famers who played for the C's, and yes, I bet you could add Shaq to the list of those who retired as Celts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'll have a go without cheating.

Do you count Garnett and Ray Allen? As they will be going to the Hall of Fame. If so that's two, and Shaq would be three.

Others that I can think of.

Retired as Celtics.
    Don Nelson
    Pistol Pete (Mavarich? Not sure on spelling)
    Bill Walton
    Dennis Johnson (was only this year)
    Tiny Archibald (not sure on his spelling either)
    5 Players.

Didn't retire as Celtics.
    Dominque Wilkins
    Robert Parish
    Did Dave Bing play for the Celtics? That's another one if he did.
    3 Players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Thanks Rondowski.....that has a nice ring to it! ....as always RU is right there with good info.....the 12 who were aquired:

Robert Parish        14 years
    Bill Sharman          10 years-retired C
    Dennis Johnson      7 years-retired C
    Ed Macauley           6 years-traded for the rights to Bill Russell
    Tiny Archibald         5 years
    Bailey Howell          4 years-lost in expansion draft
    Arnie Risen             3 years-retired C
    Clyde Lovellette     2 years-retired C
    Bill Walton              2 years-retired C
    Dave Bing              1 year -retired C
    Pete Maravich        1 year -retired C
    Dominique Wilkins  1 year

I stand corrected.....make that 7 players...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Future Celtic Hall of Famers should include Pierce (original Celtic) along with KG, Ray, and Shaq....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well, I just took another look.....Wilkins did "retire" after one year in Boston....but he came back two seasons later....so he gets an asterisk!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

After Boston Wilkins played for the Spurs and Magic. Definitely remember him with the Spurs. Played with them the season Robinson was injured and they ended up with Duncan the year later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

your are right RU but he was out of the league for one year I believe....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Aye, played in Greece?

Sad end to his career. Looking back I think it was a mistake for the Celtics to have signed him. I think the management was desperate to sign a 'name' player.
    Only see him as an Atlanta Hawk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

once again, I concur with you....how did you get so wise at such a tender age....?  ....are you SURE you don't want to come over to our side??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

:-) No sir.

I'm exposing myself as a basketball tragic.

Nelson was aquired from the Lakers wasn't he?

It's an interesting list of guys the Celtics have picked up. Have to admit I've never heard of Howell or Risen.

Wilkins just, to me didn't seem to get what the Celtics were/are about. Which speaks volumes of the management that signed him in the first place.

Look at Bill Walton, he really only played one season but understood basketball fundamentals in a way that Wilkins just never did. I think the Celtics would have really give us a great battle in 1987 if Big Bill was fit and firing. Shame that you only got one season of him playing.

Tiny was another guy who I think get's overlooked during his time. Played in the shadow of the early Bird era so I guess it was easy. Was he essentially replaced by Dennis Johnson?

With Lakers pick ups, one of the best in the 80's in my mind was Mychal Thompson. I think he was signed mainly to help stop Bill Walton. We got good service out of him and ended up winning two championships with him in the side.
    Chamberlain was another 'good' pickup. I only say good as I feel we still underachieved (even though winning the West) with him in our team. Losing to the Celtics I can understand. Losing to the Knicks, now that is just horrible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Some Cool Celtic History:
    :-) No sir. I'm exposing myself as a basketball tragic. Nelson was aquired from the Lakers wasn't he? It's an interesting list of guys the Celtics have picked up. Have to admit I've never heard of Howell or Risen. Wilkins just, to me didn't seem to get what the Celtics were/are about. Which speaks volumes of the management that signed him in the first place. Look at Bill Walton, he really only played one season but understood basketball fundamentals in a way that Wilkins just never did. I think the Celtics would have really give us a great battle in 1987 if Big Bill was fit and firing. Shame that you only got one season of him playing. Tiny was another guy who I think get's overlooked during his time. Played in the shadow of the early Bird era so I guess it was easy. Was he essentially replaced by Dennis Johnson? With Lakers pick ups, one of the best in the 80's in my mind was Mychal Thompson. I think he was signed mainly to help stop Bill Walton. We got good service out of him and ended up winning two championships with him in the side. Chamberlain was another 'good' pickup. I only say good as I feel we still underachieved (even though winning the West) with him in our team. Losing to the Celtics I can understand. Losing to the Knicks, now that is just horrible.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Nelson did not make the HOF as a player, but he was a lakers castoff.  Allegedly too slow, he was cut, picked up by us, and despised for life by Jack Kent Cooke.  It was Nellie's shot that bounced about 10 ft in the air before finally settling in the net, giving Russ his 11th title, and our last back to back in 1969.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

That's right was a shot of a lifetime that one. I guess he didn't have HOF numbers as a player but I don't think the Celtics would have swaped him. Smart guy which was evidenced in his coaching career.

Although he had problems in Golden State in the 90's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Some Cool Celtic History:
    That's right was a shot of a lifetime that one. I guess he didn't have HOF numbers as a player but I don't think the Celtics would have swaped him. Smart guy which was evidenced in his coaching career. Although he had problems in Golden State in the 90's.
    Posted by RUWorthy

-

Nellie should be in the Hall of Fame for Best Dressed Coaches, especially for his imaginative ties.  He had one with Fishes on it, that I heard was a real winner, among others.

Of course he had some trouble with players, he's Old School all the way -- work hard and play defense and don't mouth off to the coach.

Sections
Shortcuts