Splash Baby? Doug McDermott versus Klay Thompson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Splash Baby? Doug McDermott versus Klay Thompson

For all of you, potentially, planning to mortgage the C's future on an unknown Aussie with a poor jumpshot- compare the following:

• Klay Thompson 6'7 205 pounds, the 11th pick in the 2011 draft from Washington State.
    • Doug McDermott 6'7 210 pounds, a projected 14th pick in the 2014 draft from Creighton.

Is it fair to assume that Doug McDermott has the upside to become the next Klay Thompson?

Below are Klay's college scoring averages before deciding to enter the draft following his Junior year:

• Freshman year he averaged 12 points per game
    • Sophomore 19 ppg
    • Junior 22 ppg

Here's Doug's college scoring averages:

• Freshman 15 ppg
    • Sophomore 23 ppg
    • Junior 23 ppg
    • Senior 25 ppg- *Unlike Klay of course, Doug chose to return for his Senior year

Both of these guys saw a ton of double-teams.  And both of them chute the lights out, regardless.  Scouts rave about McDermott's high bball IQ, a characteristic which any GM will find appealing.

In light of the success that Golden State and Thompson have had this season, would you really want to roll the dice on someone like Exum?  When someone like McDermott is sure to be available? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Splash Baby? Doug McDermott versus Klay Thompson

Kid can light it up, no doubt.  Read an article about his 33pt game the other night.

Don't we have the worst of Bklyn/Atlanta's pick also...?  Should be somewhere around #13-#15 range. 

Celtics are at the #3 pick currently(depending on the ping pong balls)...  now we can consider Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.  But,  IMOP if we end up with #4 I would take Exum over Randle, Smart or McDermott.  Rondo's a gonner one way or the other(trade or FA) and Exum could be our future PG. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

I love Dougie D. Been talking to my friends about the Celtics taking him. You could end up with Rondo, Dougie, Sully, KO on the floor at the same time a few years from now and have a really smart team. Problem is you'd have a hard time selling me on taking him in the top 5, which what looks like the Celtics would have. I'd rather take a chance on Dante to be honest. But let's say the Celtics end up with another pick in the early teens and a couple of guys are gone, I would have ZERO problem with DA taking Dougie. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kid can light it up, no doubt.  Read an article about his 33pt game the other night.

Don't we have the worst of Bklyn/Atlanta's pick also...?  Should be somewhere around #13-#15 range. 

Celtics are at the #3 pick currently(depending on the ping pong balls)...  now we can consider Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.  But,  IMOP if we end up with #4 I would take Exum over Randle, Smart or McDermott.  Rondo's a gonner one way or the other(trade or FA) and Exum could be our future PG. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Rajon's on his way out.  And I'd like to see the C's draft a PG.  But again, are you sure about Exum?  I'm not doubting his potential, but like the above post, there's some other sure-thing options available.

[Note this draft is deep.  Not top-heavy, but deep.  Do not expect to receive a Lebron or a Durant or a Carmelo or an Anthony Davis with one of the top picks.  The top picks aren't going to become superstars.  The reason everyone has hyped up this draft is becuase of it's DEPTH]

It's important to consider Ennis and Lavine.  Especially Ennis.  Look at what he's doing right now.  Just because Exum is projected to be taken sooner, doesn't mean that Ennis wouldn't be a much better fit in Boston.  I think for Stevens to successfully run his style of offense, he needs PGs that can spread the floor, knock down shots.  Right now, I'd rather see the Celtics pick Marcus Smart over Exum- rather than cross my fingers, draft Exum, and hope that he can develop a jumpshot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Love Tyler Ennis. He is so unbelievably clutch it's insane. At the end of every close game Cuse has, he seems to take it over. They'll run a pick-and-roll at the top with either Grant, Fair, or Keita/Christmas to give Ennis a favorable match-up. He's not quick enough to get by some guards, but big guys have no chance. Great feel for the game around the basket. Has a nice tear drop, can finish with either hand, uses the baseline well, and can bury a jumper if he needs to. He's been the FOY so far, even with Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Embiid. Ennis has been as steady as a rock from day 1. 

Smart is super athletic but has similar problems that Exum has. Both of them aren't great chooters, both have high ceilings. Smart already has the body, Exum needs to hit the gym. But a 6'6" combo guard with a 6'9" wingspan is intriguing to me.

LaVine was a hot commodity for a while, but has cooled off. He looks like Klay Thompson to me. Guy that could be a knock down shooter at the 2, runs the floor well, explosive to the basket, but is just a little bit smaller than Klay. Wouldn't take him in the top-5 though. 

I'm looking for an athletic forward in this class. Grant and Vonleh are two guys I'm currently drooling over. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love Tyler Ennis. He is so unbelievably clutch it's insane. At the end of every close game Cuse has, he seems to take it over. They'll run a pick-and-roll at the top with either Grant, Fair, or Keita/Christmas to give Ennis a favorable match-up. He's not quick enough to get by some guards, but big guys have no chance. Great feel for the game around the basket. Has a nice tear drop, can finish with either hand, uses the baseline well, and can bury a jumper if he needs to. He's been the FOY so far, even with Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Embiid. Ennis has been as steady as a rock from day 1. 

Smart is super athletic but has similar problems that Exum has. Both of them aren't great chooters, both have high ceilings. Smart already has the body, Exum needs to hit the gym. But a 6'6" combo guard with a 6'9" wingspan is intriguing to me.

LaVine was a hot commodity for a while, but has cooled off. He looks like Klay Thompson to me. Guy that could be a knock down shooter at the 2, runs the floor well, explosive to the basket, but is just a little bit smaller than Klay. Wouldn't take him in the top-5 though. 

I'm looking for an athletic forward in this class. Grant and Vonleh are two guys I'm currently drooling over. 

[/QUOTE]

If you like athletes then you're in luck.  No one's more athletic than Wiggins.  And I expect he'll be there at 3, where we'd pick (currently) if the lotto balls neither help us or hurt us.

I think the March Madness tournament will have a huge impact on the pre-draft rankings, and which rounds these guys are selected.  By the time the tournament is over, Ennis make become a household name.  Making Exum seem like an ever bigger gamble.