Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110408&sportCat=nba

THE OLD GUARD

5. Boston
    This could be 450 words or 45,000. I will spare you -- we'll go for 450. Just know that I can't remember another deadline deal knocking a team from "favorites" to "also-rans." There's no historical precedent. The trade undermined everything the Celtics were about: size, toughness, togetherness, chemistry, friendship, relationships ... it erased their identity Jason Bourne-style. Whether it was true or not, this particular Celtics team really did believe in the whole "nobody has ever beaten us in a series when we had our starting five" mantra, just like they believed in "ubuntu" and their ability to protect that aforementioned six feet at all times. Well, how do you preach "ubuntu" after you just blindsided one of your core guys in a trade that didn't totally need to happen? So it's conditional ubuntu?

The more I watch this Celtics team, the more I realized that they were overachieving those first 3½ months because of chemistry and swagger. Watching Chicago rough them up Thursday was pretty depressing. Keith Bogans pushed Ray Allen around like a rag doll. Kurt Thomas and Glen Davis fell into a heap, then Thomas jumped up and stood over Davis like he had just tripped him in a prison cafeteria and wanted to send him a message before they both got sent to the hole. Joakim Noah pranced around and did Noah things knowing that everyone had his back. With 20 seconds left in a blowout, Carlos Boozer got tangled with Nenad Krstic and decided to shove him six feet, got called for a foul, then stared him down before sauntering back to his bench and being greeted by smiling teammates. Honestly, it was like watching a deleted Cobra Kai scene. The trade was bad enough -- watching my team get punked out on national TV was something else. That game made me ill. So does the trade. I don't know what the Celtics are anymore, and neither do they.

One more thing: Every Celtics fan is in "last year, we wrote them off and we made the Finals" mode. Which is fine. That's what you do when you're grieving. You make excuses. Just know that ...

A. The 2011 Bulls are better than any 2010 Eastern team. There's no comparison, actually. All season long I've been watching them with the same frightened look that Mickey had during Clubber Lang's fights in the beginning if "Rocky 3."

B. The odds of the 2011 Celtics getting a gift on the level of WTHHTLBJBG3G6 (Whatever The Hell Happened To LeBron James Between Game 3 and Game 6) are about 100-to-1. Miracles don't happen twice.

A few weeks ago, Kendrick Perkins said something interesting: he believed you need two quality big guys if you really want a good defensive team. His reasoning was that one guy alone couldn't protect the rim, defend the low-post and jump out on high screens. With two big guys, everything falls into place. Before Thursday's Bulls-Celtics game, Tom Thibodeau made a similar point: he said that, defensively, it didn't get any better than the Perkins-Garnett duo.

Now, I have spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about this -- not just what Perkins said, but defense and what makes it work -- because the Celtics have unraveled over these last few weeks, and also because Perkins transformed Oklahoma City and unleashed Ibaka (who no longer has to defend everyone else's best low-post guy) as a devastating weak side shot blocker and general menace. The Thunder can go to war with anyone now.

Anyway, it's easy to concentrate on the trade's watershed effect on Boston -- in retrospect, Danny Ainge should have just flown the whole team to Dallas, crammed the players into a limo, had them do the turn around Dealey Plaza and just started shooting at them from the Grassy Knoll -- and inadvertently skip over how brilliant it was for Oklahoma City. Their team makes sense now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!

i'm a bill fan. he's passionate, insightful, and he makes me laugh. over and over. but i wonder why he's taking such a blunt, harsh stance against the Cs chances and danny's trade. can't help but wonder if this is bill's real take, or espn's take filtered thru bill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

he's completely inconsistent. on the one hand, he says that we were lucky to make the finals last year b/c james disappeared in our series with cleveland and the odds of something like that happening again are nil...on the other hand, he acts as if the perk trade equals giving away #18.

frankly, i still believe the perk trade is overblown. he didn't even play this year and we were fine. he's an overrated player. he's a decent player and i like him. but way overrated by boston fans.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Simmons is no longer the Sports guy.  He is an LA guy.  Not a Laker guy yet but he lives here. His views are corrupted by his success and excessive exposure to other teams.  He could very well be right on the Celtics chances but his view of Perkins just does not jive with anything real. If you have watched Perk over the last two seasons you saw where Perk was lacking.  His offensive skills are more like a high school player than an NBA player.  

We have deteriorated through age as we do every year. But this team struggles down the stretch offensively and needed to address that.

If Shaq cannot return however Danny did make a fatal mistake though.  He should have known with a degree of certainty that he would be back.  If he did not we should have kept Perk. It is that simple. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

yeah, sports guy can shove it.  shak will be out there whether it be on one leg or three toes and nobody will be doing what the bulls did the other night to the c's in the playoffs.  boozer is a historically soft turd of a power forward who has never brought his team deep in the playoffs.  watch for it to happen again this year.  he can't score on KG.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We just need to get Shaq back." I believe that's a fantasy at this point but I really hope you are right. Because if Shaq can play really well then this trade may look pretty good. 

I agree 100 percent with Simmons on this. With this caveat: I think he's premature. We have to wait until the season is over to make that judgement. I think he's going to be proven right BUT i'm going to keep my mind open to the possibilities that the Celts could still make a deep playoff run if they get all their bigs back. You guys can condemn Bill for all the reasons you want but the fact is that the teams that have played the Perk since the trade have shared very similar views. Bill isn't on some island on this - NBA players feel the same way. They are all bewildered by the trade. 

A more interesting conversation will happen in the offseason when we debate whether Boston's window has closed with this groupa and whether Danny should have traded for the future but hurt our push this year. But gotta wait, because if we win a ring, Danny gets his genius crown. And I'll be glad to applaud him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I remember Kenny Smith saying before the season, it believe it was immediately after the draft. He was saying that successful team's have certain identities and draft accordingly. Boston was all about toughness and defense. You can go a little further than that. We have heard Ainge and Doc talk about having guys that are of high-character who play defense. The Perkins trade is a tough one for me. The Eastern Conference has become very 2/3 heavy so I could see why Ainge wanted Green. The thing is why ship off a key player on your team in Perkins who would have playing 30+ minutes essentially for a guy that is only getting 19? Krstic isn't that bad but he doesn't play defense. Boston will be getting a number 1 pick but we all know that Ainge isn't very good (at all) in selecting players with number 1 picks. What does this mean? among other things it means that in this trade Ainge completely changed the identity of this team. It was almost as strange as seeing a lumbering Shaq go to the high-flying Suns. Then you can go to the character issue. Ainge always spoke of bringing on board players of high character then drafts guys like JR Giddens and Lester Hudson. Ainge has also stated that he seeks to draft guys that are of the best talent, character, that happen to fill the biggest needs of the team yet he past up on DeAndre Jordan who happened to be the best talent available and he filled the C's biggest need of a backup center. Remember that Perk had a bad shoulder in that championship run. Strange things. Did DA lose his mind? maybe...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

He also wrote another article explaining why the trade makes sense.... I'm not finding the link, as it does not matter and I truly don't care...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : I think you have lost your mind. Perkins has had two knee surgeries and a bad shoulder. He's not playing 30 minutes a game anymore. He was a free agent after the season. We lost Daniels, he had to be replaced. We have Shaq, Jermaine, and Krstic to play the middle. We have a better record with Shaq starting than with Perkins. And with Perkins playing the second half last year, we had a .500 record, and we lost the NBA finals because he couldn't hold up. Things change, and good GMs adjust. Ainge made a great trade.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

consensus was on a lot of fronts that perkins had peaked.  his mobility was not going to be as good as before.  nor the hops.

this was a VERY GOOD TRADE and it all lies on doc rivers for not getting jeff green involved in a meaingful and consistent way with this team.  it really makes me mad to watch some of these games where green is functionally ignored.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

As paul and ray age even more next year, I believe this trade will look better with more jeff green minutes. It will look even better in next years draft when we can attain a stud in what is looking like the most loaded draft class in years. I could easily see danny making a move to attain a similarly defensive big through FA. Perhaps a deandre jordan type, but who knows. Also, Simmons really used to be a celts fan, but now he seems to just be a sensationalist. I take very little of what he writes seriously.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Simmons did the same thing same time last year. Remember the article on Rasheed Wallace infecting the team?

Premature is too nice a word.

Here's the aforementioned article, http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100407&sportCat=nba

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : I think you have lost your mind. Perkins has had two knee surgeries and a bad shoulder. He's not playing 30 minutes a game anymore. He was a free agent after the season. We lost Daniels, he had to be replaced. We have Shaq, Jermaine, and Krstic to play the middle. We have a better record with Shaq starting than with Perkins. And with Perkins playing the second half last year, we had a .500 record, and we lost the NBA finals because he couldn't hold up. Things change, and good GMs adjust. Ainge made a great trade.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    You missed the entire meaning of what I wrote. Sometimes a persons emotions often get the better of them. What I wrote, in essence, is the obvious: the identity of the team has changed. On offense, the Celtics are now a team that has more versatility. Boston now has more players that can spread the floor. On defense, the Celtics are still very good. They are just not as intimidating as they were when Perkins was manning the middle. As for Shaq. The Celtics are great when he is playing. The key words being "When he is playing." I have been content with the trade as I believe that it gives the Celtics firepower that it has not had since '08. I like Perk. You can mention all of his injuries but he was still more reliable than Shaq. I won't criticize him just because he is no longer on the team. Once a Celtic always a Celtic. Try understanding what a person is writing before making a fool of yourself...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : consensus was on a lot of fronts that perkins had peaked.  his mobility was not going to be as good as before.  nor the hops. this was a VERY GOOD TRADE and it all lies on doc rivers for not getting jeff green involved in a meaingful and consistent way with this team.  it really makes me mad to watch some of these games where green is functionally ignored.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]
    Very good post, acie. I wish that Green were used more. Perhaps using him more could be the beginning of that transition to the post Big Three Era.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : Whatever... So now you are content with the trade.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    A person could make an argument either way. Keep Perkins and you maintain the chemistry that has defined the Celtics the last few years plus you keep your most intimidating player in the middle. Trading Perkins and you get a versatile player in Green plus a decent 5 and a 1st round pick. As for me, I believe that the Celtics defensive schemes can make up for Perkins loss. Ainge has added tons of shooters: Green, Wafer, Arroyo, Murphy, Krstic. They just need to hurry up and learn how to play with each other and with the other Celtics. I hope that Shaq returns because if he does I see Boston winning #18.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

It's also important to note that Bill Simmons has always disliked Jeff Green. In a tweet, simmons compared JG to Curtis Rowe. That just is not a fair evaluation. JG is one of the fastest players I've seen in the open court. Also, I'm loving his jump hook on the low block. Imagine this kid with a full training camp under his belt.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : I think Shaq and Jermaine can make up for the loss of Perkins, but if we lose either of them, it will be bad. I wish we hadn't traded Erden and Harangody. I think that was Ainge's biggest mistake. Erden had length and was a good inside defender. If you are going to trade Perkins, it makes no sense to trade Erden too.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    I am not trying to make amends with you buddy (though I do apologize for my comment) but I do agree with everything you just wrote. Especially about Erden. I think that Ainge let him go just so that he would have a roster spot available to get Murphy. Who could have predicted that Murphy would turn out to be a stiff? Maybe he just needs more time. Unfortunately, there isn't much time left. I hope that he has Jerry Rice type of workouts. Maybe Erden should have just been allowed to heal. I am sure that the Cavs are thanking Ainge for giving up a very good prospect for nothing. It's hard to believe that Boston once had the deepest front court in the NBA this season and how this depth crushed the Lakers and everyone else. Boston absolutely needs Shaq. He gives Boston an advantage especially over the Bulls who I believe are Boston's biggest threat to #18. As for Lakers, Bynum is just as gimpy as Shaq! They offset each other.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Brilliant trade. Krstic, Green, and a first round pick. We just need to get Shaq back.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

"The trade" was FAR from brilliant. Krstic is an inconsistent player with even more limitations than Perkins. Worthless as a center, other than to foul.

Green is a weak defender.

Perkins at least made other centers work for their points and/or rebounds.

And if you're counting on Shaq...well, remember last year's motto was to "win a ring for the king". You saw how that worked out. Doc can't even count on him for decent minutes.

Sections
Shortcuts