Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!

good chatting w/y'all guys. Taking off now to see if Erik Morales still has some fight in 'im. Hey Q, I am just messing w/ya. You don't bother me one bit. I just like to get y'all Laker trolls all riled up. It's too easy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : dino, you were rolling along on your post...right up to the point where you said... "which is why the Bulls will be playing OKC in the Finals" Then you lost crediblity. If SOMEHOW, the Lakers aren't playing in the finals, it will be the Spurs.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

I have to say logic... not your strong suit. If the Lakers losing games just means they are waiting to flip the switch then wouldn't it stand to reason, that the Celtics could also be just waiting to flip the switch?  

I mean you have come to the conclusion that the Celtics are done based on recent regular season struggles. The Lakers have the same recent regular season struggles. Yet somehow in your world it means something completely different. Uh-huh. Logic not a strong suit.

Btw, You had better worry about the Thunder more than the Spurs. They have size at multiple positions. They have athleticism that the Spurs and Lakers both lack. They are young and Hungry and playing well not coasting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!:
    [QUOTE]This article strikes a chord because someone can finally explain why this trade was so bad!!! Can we stop with the 'well we were going to lose Perk anyway' crap?  We have no idea whether there will even be a basketball season next year!  Once a new CBA is done, the rules may have allowed us to keep Perkins.  Now we'll never know!!!! Also, the idea that you trade away a starting Center for a backup Small Forward is cause for firing any GM.  You can't coach height and we drafted this kid (Green) once.  Flipping him for Ray Allen and a title was brilliant!!  (See Danny gets some credit from me) The idea of leaning on Shaq and JO for the playoffs is the equivalent to building your castle on a bed of sand.  One injury to one of those guys and bye-bye title chances.  Even with them, we're tall but not exactly athletic.  Trading Perkins also ensures the window for championships closes this year!!  Perk could at least play pick and roll defense and clog the lane.  Kristic doesn't know where to go on defense.  We all know defense wins championships which is why the Bulls will be playing OKC in the finals! Danny also traded one of 'our guys' and I would have rather lost with Perk than watch this team limp into the playoffs.  They traded away their identity.  They're soft and if you don't believe me, watch Noah in that last game.  Nobody showed anyone up when Perk was there...now its like the little brother can finally beat the big brother and we all have to hear the little guy talk about it.  I guess Danny just wanted to be part of both of the worst trades in Celtics history.  The first he was the player traded, now he's doing the trading!!
    Posted by dino1980[/QUOTE]

Great post and I agree with most of your comments.  I agree that you don't trade a starter on your team for a backup player, (for any position).  I understand that the Celtics needed someone once Marquis was injured.  This could have been done by trading some of the players that were traded for an adequate small forward.   I also agree that Danny should take the blame for this trade if we don't advance to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs, but not sure this will ever happen. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Brilliant trade. Krstic, Green, and a first round pick. We just need to get Shaq back.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Brilliant trade. Krstic, Green, and a first round pick. We just need to get Shaq back.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Brilliant?  Only if you not really wanting to win a championship this year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : The Lakers won't start their tear until the playoffs start. That's when they "flip the switch". BTW, the Lakers lost 4 of their last 5 last year. Remind me... Who won the title last year?
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

and right after that "tear"  we won't see you again for a year or so.  I told you early in the year the Lakers won't win this year. Let me remind you again.  You really are in LALA land..  The Lakers were resting players last year, this year they were trying to catch SA.  So don't play that card, it dont' fit

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

In Response to Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!!:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110408&sportCat=nba THE OLD GUARD 5. Boston This could be 450 words or 45,000. I will spare you -- we'll go for 450. Just know that I can't remember another deadline deal knocking a team from "favorites" to "also-rans." There's no historical precedent. The trade undermined everything the Celtics were about: size, toughness, togetherness, chemistry, friendship, relationships ... it erased their identity Jason Bourne-style. Whether it was true or not, this particular Celtics team really did believe in the whole "nobody has ever beaten us in a series when we had our starting five" mantra, just like they believed in "ubuntu" and their ability to protect that aforementioned six feet at all times. Well, how do you preach "ubuntu" after you just blindsided one of your core guys in a trade that didn't totally need to happen? So it's conditional ubuntu? The more I watch this Celtics team, the more I realized that they were overachieving those first 3½ months because of chemistry and swagger. Watching Chicago rough them up Thursday was pretty depressing. Keith Bogans pushed Ray Allen around like a rag doll. Kurt Thomas and Glen Davis fell into a heap, then Thomas jumped up and stood over Davis like he had just tripped him in a prison cafeteria and wanted to send him a message before they both got sent to the hole. Joakim Noah pranced around and did Noah things knowing that everyone had his back. With 20 seconds left in a blowout, Carlos Boozer got tangled with Nenad Krstic and decided to shove him six feet, got called for a foul, then stared him down before sauntering back to his bench and being greeted by smiling teammates. Honestly, it was like watching a deleted Cobra Kai scene. The trade was bad enough -- watching my team get punked out on national TV was something else. That game made me ill. So does the trade. I don't know what the Celtics are anymore, and neither do they. One more thing: Every Celtics fan is in "last year, we wrote them off and we made the Finals" mode. Which is fine. That's what you do when you're grieving. You make excuses. Just know that ... A. The 2011 Bulls are better than any 2010 Eastern team. There's no comparison, actually. All season long I've been watching them with the same frightened look that Mickey had during Clubber Lang's fights in the beginning if "Rocky 3." B. The odds of the 2011 Celtics getting a gift on the level of WTHHTLBJBG3G6 (Whatever The Hell Happened To LeBron James Between Game 3 and Game 6) are about 100-to-1. Miracles don't happen twice. A few weeks ago, Kendrick Perkins said something interesting: he believed you need two quality big guys if you really want a good defensive team. His reasoning was that one guy alone couldn't protect the rim, defend the low-post and jump out on high screens. With two big guys, everything falls into place. Before Thursday's Bulls-Celtics game, Tom Thibodeau made a similar point: he said that, defensively, it didn't get any better than the Perkins-Garnett duo. Now, I have spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about this -- not just what Perkins said, but defense and what makes it work -- because the Celtics have unraveled over these last few weeks, and also because Perkins transformed Oklahoma City and unleashed Ibaka (who no longer has to defend everyone else's best low-post guy) as a devastating weak side shot blocker and general menace. The Thunder can go to war with anyone now. Anyway, it's easy to concentrate on the trade's watershed effect on Boston -- in retrospect, Danny Ainge should have just flown the whole team to Dallas, crammed the players into a limo, had them do the turn around Dealey Plaza and just started shooting at them from the Grassy Knoll -- and inadvertently skip over how brilliant it was for Oklahoma City. Their team makes sense now.
    Posted by BigJoedaddyBoston[/QUOTE]

* This was an excellent post. It could not be more accurate. I'm so tired of hearing, "IF, IF, IF....WHEN, WHEN, WHEN"....."IF WE HAVE SHAQ,"..."WHEN SHAQ COMES BACK," BLAH BLAH,BLAH.

Before Danny Ainge made this trade the Celtics were a "SURE-THING," they had an identity, - a defensive, tough, clutch, intimidating T-E-A-M. This is no longer the case. They've gone from favorites, to a team that will be lucky to get past the 2nd round.

And please, let's stop all this Shaq talk, the guy can't even play 6 minutes without getting hurt.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : The Celtics lost last year with Perkins and Rasheed. The Celtics were never a sure thing. And Shaq will be back.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

A "SURE-THING" meaning their identity, not to guarantee a championship.

Btw, WHEN will Shaq be back?? HOW MANY MINUTES WILL HE PLAY??

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Even if we don't win the championship, I still like the trade. There is no guarantee that we would have won with Perkins. And don't forget that we lost Daniels and had to replace him. But look where we are going into the playoffs. We will have both O'Neals and Krstic and Green. And there are no back to backs in the playoffs.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

A silver lining of sorts...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : Very insightful DaCeltics. Maybe the C's should hire you as their GM...you certainly couldn't do any worse than Danny Ainge.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

They don't have the guts to! I have 0 NBA experience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Simmons is no longer the Sports guy.  He is an LA guy.  Not a Laker guy yet but he lives here. His views are corrupted by his success and excessive exposure to other teams.  He could very well be right on the Celtics chances but his view of Perkins just does not jive with anything real. If you have watched Perk over the last two seasons you saw where Perk was lacking.  His offensive skills are more like a high school player than an NBA player.   We have deteriorated through age as we do every year. But this team struggles down the stretch offensively and needed to address that. If Shaq cannot return however Danny did make a fatal mistake though.  He should have known with a degree of certainty that he would be back.  If he did not we should have kept Perk. It is that simple. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Well said!  I don't think perk is a star but a needed role player for this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]I remember Kenny Smith saying before the season, it believe it was immediately after the draft. He was saying that successful team's have certain identities and draft accordingly. Boston was all about toughness and defense. You can go a little further than that. We have heard Ainge and Doc talk about having guys that are of high-character who play defense. The Perkins trade is a tough one for me. The Eastern Conference has become very 2/3 heavy so I could see why Ainge wanted Green. The thing is why ship off a key player on your team in Perkins who would have playing 30+ minutes essentially for a guy that is only getting 19? Krstic isn't that bad but he doesn't play defense. Boston will be getting a number 1 pick but we all know that Ainge isn't very good (at all) in selecting players with number 1 picks. What does this mean? among other things it means that in this trade Ainge completely changed the identity of this team. It was almost as strange as seeing a lumbering Shaq go to the high-flying Suns. Then you can go to the character issue. Ainge always spoke of bringing on board players of high character then drafts guys like JR Giddens and Lester Hudson. Ainge has also stated that he seeks to draft guys that are of the best talent, character, that happen to fill the biggest needs of the team yet he past up on DeAndre Jordan who happened to be the best talent available and he filled the C's biggest need of a backup center. Remember that Perk had a bad shoulder in that championship run. Strange things. Did DA lose his mind? maybe...
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]

Well said!!  Foolosh to pass up on DeAndre Jordan.  DA was brilliant for giving us the 2008 championship!   He ruined us with this trade. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : You missed the entire meaning of what I wrote. Sometimes a persons emotions often get the better of them. What I wrote, in essence, is the obvious: the identity of the team has changed. On offense, the Celtics are now a team that has more versatility. Boston now has more players that can spread the floor. On defense, the Celtics are still very good. They are just not as intimidating as they were when Perkins was manning the middle. As for Shaq. The Celtics are great when he is playing. The key words being " When he is playing ." I have been content with the trade as I believe that it gives the Celtics firepower that it has not had since '08. I like Perk. You can mention all of his injuries but he was still more reliable than Shaq. I won't criticize him just because he is no longer on the team. Once a Celtic always a Celtic. Try understanding what a person is writing before making a fool of yourself...

Once again well said. However, I do not think the trade gives us more firepower except on paper.  Jeff Green looks timid.   But I concede, DOC should play him more and KG should instill confidence in him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : A person could make an argument either way. Keep Perkins and you maintain the chemistry that has defined the Celtics the last few years plus you keep your most intimidating player in the middle. Trading Perkins and you get a versatile player in Green plus a decent 5 and a 1st round pick. As for me, I believe that the Celtics defensive schemes can make up for Perkins loss. Ainge has added tons of shooters: Green, Wafer, Arroyo, Murphy, Krstic. They just need to hurry up and learn how to play with each other and with the other Celtics. I hope that Shaq returns because if he does I see Boston winning #18.

All you have to do is watch the bulls game a few nights ago and the heat game today to realize very clearly the huge mistake the trade was.  Jeff Green is not Larry Bird or D wade or the next savior.   He is very overrated.   He has talent but he looks timid and afraid to use his talent.   DOc should play him more but he is not a difference maker or a key player.    I hope we get rid of him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Danny's mind you had to trade Perk. He's been searching for a suitable back-up for Pierce and Allen since he decided it was foolish to pay Posey. He tried Giddens, TA,Walker,Daniels, Wafer. He passed on Ron Artest for Sheed, and Matt Barnes for Daniels. He was feeling a little egg on his face. Now his mistakes in those cases were going to be highlighted in the playoffs by Carmelo, Lebron, Wade,Iguodala, Artest,Odom(SF),Kobe,Turkoglu, etc. He was trying cover his azs for his past errors. If he kept Posey he would have drafted DeAndre Jordan, hopefully. If we developed DeAndre we have no need for Sheed, right? We definitely have no need for JO in that scenario. That midlevel money could have been pocketed to resign Perkins!( or help keep Eddie House) We would have no need for Green either because Posey knew his role and was perfect in it. Ainge's post Garnett trades and 1st round draft picks lately have not revitalized this franchise. We add Shaq and he is just an insurance policy, not a vital cog. (as he should be)
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

Very well said!!!  The trade sucks!  DA made a foolish mistake.   Celtics had the blueprint that everyone tried to copy with the interior D and the bigs.  The Bulls, OKC, and the Heat all added bigs to compete against the cletics and lakers.   Anyone with half a brain saw this.  Jeff Green is extremely overrated!  Kristic is D ball player.   Ainge was brilliant to land us allen, garnett but this trade makes me sick!!!  He should be fired.   WHy gamble everything on a 39 year old shaq while he was hurt.   I can see if we traded perk and shaq was healthy but we traded perk when shaq and JO were hurt.  Then we got rid of erden.  Everyone knows defense and rebounds wins champinships.   Every game we got out-rebounded in the playoofs last year we lost.   DA knew this and made great moves in the off season by getting Shaq, JO and Erden this year. We had 4 bigs.    We had the best record and then DA takes a hit of acid, and decides to trade Perk (i am not saying he is an all star- but he is an old school great role player who plays great D) and rely on SHaq who was injured at the time of the trade.  How stupid could you be?  And for who?  Jeff Green!  He looks as intimidating as micky mouse out there.   COach Tibs called Garnett and Perk the best defensive duo he has seen!  They underestimated Perks value to OUR team.  I am not saying he was Dwight Howard but HE was what OUR team needed.  Having him and SHAQ would be wonderful going into the playoffs  but now we look like a girls high school team with Jeff Green that dope Murphy and kistric.   Blow the team up now.   We were robbed another shot at the title thansk to this terrible trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]This article strikes a chord because someone can finally explain why this trade was so bad!!! Can we stop with the 'well we were going to lose Perk anyway' crap?  We have no idea whether there will even be a basketball season next year!  Once a new CBA is done, the rules may have allowed us to keep Perkins.  Now we'll never know!!!! Also, the idea that you trade away a starting Center for a backup Small Forward is cause for firing any GM.  You can't coach height and we drafted this kid (Green) once.  Flipping him for Ray Allen and a title was brilliant!!  (See Danny gets some credit from me) The idea of leaning on Shaq and JO for the playoffs is the equivalent to building your castle on a bed of sand.  One injury to one of those guys and bye-bye title chances.  Even with them, we're tall but not exactly athletic.  Trading Perkins also ensures the window for championships closes this year!!  Perk could at least play pick and roll defense and clog the lane.  Kristic doesn't know where to go on defense.  We all know defense wins championships which is why the Bulls will be playing OKC in the finals! Danny also traded one of 'our guys' and I would have rather lost with Perk than watch this team limp into the playoffs.  They traded away their identity.  They're soft and if you don't believe me, watch Noah in that last game.  Nobody showed anyone up when Perk was there...now its like the little brother can finally beat the big brother and we all have to hear the little guy talk about it.  I guess Danny just wanted to be part of both of the worst trades in Celtics history.  The first he was the player traded, now he's doing the trading!!
    Posted by dino1980[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Guy on why the Perk Trade destroyed the Celtics. DA lost his mind!!! : and right after that "tear"  we won't see you again for a year or so.  I told you early in the year the Lakers won't win this year. Let me remind you again.  You really are in LALA land..  The Lakers were resting players last year, this year they were trying to catch SA.  So don't play that card, it dont' fit
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Seriously, you know nothing about the LA Lakers.

Sections
Shortcuts