Spurs fined $250,000

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Spurs fined $250,000

I find this to be a total joke of a move by Stern 

The Spurs have every right to rest THEIR players at their own discretion.  The team pays the players and if they feel they need to protect their investment and that it helps them in the long run to give players rest, the NBA shouldn't be able to punish them just because it is a nationally televised game.

Stern feels shown up and this is his retaliation. The reality is, Popovich probably was knowingly provoking Stern with this but the Spurs just came off a brutal stretch of games and because of that, Popovich has a perfectly reasonable case for resting his guys.

Since forever teams (in all sports) have rested players at the end of seasons when play-off spots are securce.  To me this is simply an extention of that, protecting players health for more important games.  I look forward to April when all teams are resting stars and nothing is done by Stern.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Spurs fined $250,000

~~~~~~~~that's the way to neutralize stern - pi55 'em off -- i love it

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

Let's not forget the NBA is a business first and a sport second league.

It's different when you're resting your players when the season is almost over and you're seeding is already set.

But come on, it's November!

Back to the issue of national television. From a business standpoint, what the Spurs did was wrong. There's a reason why there was a lockout last year and why players and owners took so long to come to an agreement. And that reason is MONEY!

Seriously, the players wanted a bigger piece of the pie and they're not going to play in a nationally televised game?

Some here are complaining because the players are overpaid. So paying them not to play in a nationally televised game makes it worse!  

It is also a business for the Spurs.  If they have concerns about the health of the players that fuel their business do they not have the right to protect those investments as they see fit? 

My guess is Spurs fans support Popovich's decision.  It was still a good game so do Heat fans really have anything to complain about?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

It was great that they did not play. Best part was the the Spurs all most beat them. Stern has no right to tell a coach what to do with his players at any time. Stern is right up there with Vince in the WWE. NBA or teams should do what Vince does (Card my be subject to change). Stern you loser.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

The game was competitive... not a skunker.... so dunno quite what Stern's complaint was.

Would Stern  have fined the Spurs if they had won?

Stern is out after next season as I understand it. Time to go.

His chief lieutenant is taking over. More of the same likely.

Pud

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Its a tough spot for the nba. As op mentioned above, its their team they should be able to do what they want with their players and staff. With that said I still  feel like it cheats the fans. They pay all that money to go the game or go out to see the best players, and they dont even show up. Its one thing when its late in the year  the fans can expect that guys might be sitting cuz seeding is already decided, so they can plan accoridingly. But just some random game early in the year?  Thats not fair. Pop is taking this rest thing a little too far now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

How we go putting the emphasis on the stars of the NBA. Yes some are noted as better than others, but this is pro sports and any player on any team is a pro. I went to a Yankees vs. Red Sox's game in August and it was like watching a AAA game, both teams sat out players. DID I complain about it no. It was a pro baseball game I enjoyed. I know as fans we pay more than we should to go to pro events, but these are the best in the world at the top level. When you buy season tickets or any tickets are you promised anything? NO. If your a season ticket holder are you promised that team will win a Championship? NO. So what's the big issue here. Money is the only issue here and some people who went to the Spurs vs. Heat game feel cheated, get over it, you bought the ticket with no guarantee’s who plays and who does not.

For Stern to invoke this fine show's what sports is to him is money and that's it. LOSER

• You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I love Pops.  He knows the importance of resting older key players during the regular season.

He'll laugh off  the fine.

Hope Doc takes a mental note from Pops.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Wonder if the Spurs violated any agreements with the league... prob ssome vague, grey area language that Stern can manipulate its meaning to serve his purpose..

Good for Pops... defy the commish and fight it I hope. 

As far as the fans go... what about the ones that pay in preseason and the stars sit out?? Didnt their money count? F the fans... they still gonna come next game and Stern knows it... This was a grandstand move for attention so other teams think twice of copying POps.

I hope Pops fights it and wins.. then sits them again

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

A more appropriate punishment would have been to send Duncan to the Celtics, who as most of you remember were robbed by the NBA and a bunch of numbered balls on draft selection lotto night years ago! 

This action would have accomplished two things:

1. Stern getting even with Pop

2. NBA making amends with Cs fans for the theft of T. Duncan years ago!

No, I don't hold a grudge!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

stern's complaint was, is and will be always to his grave that he hates the spurs and popovich.  he finds their style of ball "un-marketable" even though they have played and DO PLAY a lot of international star players.  and they have won a lot.

stern could have "timed" his "announcement" of "major sanctions' against the spurs any way he wanted- but you notice how he was slobbering at the cake hole to try to stab popovich like pop was a vampire caught out during daylight.  and then the spurs BENCH plays the heat to a near standstill.  you have to love that.

stern is one of the grand liliputians of all time and it really showed up here.  not to mention his disparate treatment of "preferred' teams' much worse and ACTUAL infractions in tinkering with draft picks and worse.  this "spurs incident" was a total non-event and stern tried to blow it up big and it blew up big right in his wrinkly dumb old yapper.  stern needs to go away so this league can move forward w/o a petty dictator who runs it with sanctimony and nepotism.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

stern's complaint was, is and will be always to his grave that he hates the spurs and popovich.  he finds their style of ball "un-marketable" even though they have played and DO PLAY a lot of international star players.  and they have won a lot.

stern could have "timed" his "announcement" of "major sanctions' against the spurs any way he wanted- but you notice how he was slobbering at the cake hole to try to stab popovich like pop was a vampire caught out during daylight.  and then the spurs BENCH plays the heat to a near standstill.  you have to love that.

stern is one of the grand liliputians of all time and it really showed up here.  not to mention his disparate treatment of "preferred' teams' much worse and ACTUAL infractions in tinkering with draft picks and worse.  this "spurs incident" was a total non-event and stern tried to blow it up big and it blew up big right in his wrinkly dumb old yapper.  stern needs to go away so this league can move forward w/o a petty dictator who runs it with sanctimony and nepotism.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

It's not about how competitive the game was, it's about fans wanting to watch Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili vs. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. Simple as that.

Easy for us fans to say, we're not the ones paying top dollar only to find out you'll be watching Patty Mills and Nando De Colo.

I agree. Play your stars less, but play them. Everybody happy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

The Spurs are deep enough of a team that there three stars could have played shorted minutes in the game. If each had played 20-25 minutes they probably would have beat the Heat and still have a quarter million.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"Come on, the NBA is the WWE of basketball, we all know that."

"The problem is many here keep criticizing Stern but they still support Stern's product"

Che is consistent on what he says while FIERCE contradicting himself. One day, he will say NBA is the WWF, same day he'll praise the Sonnamabltch. It's like New Orlean jambalaya soup.

I only watch & read Celtics - I don't buy ticket anymore - nor buy NBA products.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

"The problem is many here keep criticizing Stern but they still support Stern's product"

Che is consistent on what he says while FIERCE contradicting himself. One day, he will say NBA is the WWF, same day he'll praise the Sonnamabltch. It's like New Orlean jambalaya soup.

I only watch & read Celtics - I don't buy ticket anymore - nor buy NBA products.

tickets are way too expensive. buy a $50 ticket and you are so far from the action you can hardly recognize the players

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

LMAO... I dont spend a dime on the NBA either, I get the NBA channel with my cable package... When the Celtics arent on TV (im in NJ) i watch their games online.. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Stern is a blithering idiot.

The league can not dictate who plays and how much they play to coaches - for ANY reason.

• Sections
    Shortcuts