Spurs fined $250,000

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Spurs fined $250,000

and if i'm not mistaken parker has also been hobbled by injuries the last couple years.  giving these guys an extra 2 days of rest w/o having to get jet lag, etc so they can just work out / get therapy- that sounds like making sense- the type of making sense that more teams that are OLD and trying to win it might want to do.

and what say you to the spurs' bench playing the miami heap to a near stanstill, holding the lead until a minute to go?  do you think miami was just throwing the game so they could swoop in with last minute heroics?  i think they were embarrassed, along with stern.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank you! That is the whole thing in my opinion, the Spurs have every right to protect their players.  Did Bud Selig fine the Nationals for shutting down Strasburg in August. Nope, because there is evidence that says pitchers coming off Tommy John surgury should be kept to a pitch count.

[/QUOTE]

NBA players are not pitchers.

It's one thing to shut down 1 or 2 players. But shutting down 4 players?

[/QUOTE]

It makes WAY more sense to shut down all 4 for the same game than to stagger it.  That way continuity is only lost for one game.

I don't doubt that the way in Popovich did it was intended to provoke Stern but that doesn't change the fact that what Popovich did was completely within his right and  legitimately in his team's best interest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The players not sitting on the bench was disrespectful to who? So if the players had sat on the bench would the Spurs have been fined?

Popovich thumbed his nose at Stern, and Stern reacted like Stern reacts.  It was the 7th game of the road trip and the 2nd back to back in a week.  I'd hope Doc would do the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

If the Spurs players had sat on the bench, I don't think the Spurs would have been fined.

The main issue is not about resting players, it was how Popovich did it.

Like I said, try slapping your boss in the face and see how he or she would react.

We already know Stern reacts the "Stern Way". So why aggravate it?

Just so Popovich can claim he's tough?

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Stern isn't the boss.  Stern works for the owners, including San Antonio's owner.

I'm of the opinion that a commish can't just impose fines because his ego is bruised.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

stern's complaint was, is and will be always to his grave that he hates the spurs and popovich.  he finds their style of ball "un-marketable" even though they have played and DO PLAY a lot of international star players.  and they have won a lot.

stern could have "timed" his "announcement" of "major sanctions' against the spurs any way he wanted- but you notice how he was slobbering at the cake hole to try to stab popovich like pop was a vampire caught out during daylight.  and then the spurs BENCH plays the heat to a near standstill.  you have to love that.

stern is one of the grand liliputians of all time and it really showed up here.  not to mention his disparate treatment of "preferred' teams' much worse and ACTUAL infractions in tinkering with draft picks and worse.  this "spurs incident" was a total non-event and stern tried to blow it up big and it blew up big right in his wrinkly dumb old yapper.  stern needs to go away so this league can move forward w/o a petty dictator who runs it with sanctimony and nepotism.

[/QUOTE] You took the words right out of my mouth!!

[/QUOTE]
    Agree with both of you.  I can't wait until Stern retires.