Spurs sign Australian center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Spurs sign Australian center

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/361312-spurs-sign-australian-center

How is it that the Spurs are so adept at recruiting foreign players? Danny Ainge needs to follow their lead and scout basketball talent outside the USA, especially since there is a current shortage of quality big men. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Re: Spurs sign Australian center

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to edcap99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/361312-spurs-sign-australian-center

Why are the Spurs so good at recruiting these quality foreign players? Danny Ainge needs to follow their lead and seek basketball talent outside the USA, especially since there is a current shortage of quality big men. 

[/QUOTE]

Fab Melo is Brazilian.

[/QUOTE]

You're right . Melo is Brazilian. So is Barbosa. Pietrus is a French national. However, all these guys were signed because they were already playing in the States. My point is that Danny Ainge should do more extensive scouting in the foreign leagues to increase the team's recruitment options.  Semih Erden from Turkey wasn't such a bust. Had he played longer for the Celtics, he would have become a serviceable back-up center for the Celts now.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the thread starter is talking about thinking outside the box- where you don't use draft picks, but you use brains and cunning to bring foreign players to these shores, and to your team.  our big find at first was stinko vrankovic back in 1986.  then dino "smoke a pack a day" radja in the 1990s...

and nothing since.

as time drones on, it's increasingly obvious that ainge is not talented enough and this seemingly empty headed jock sniffing ownership group is not engaged enough to ACTUALLY do developmental things properly. 

where did nicola vucevic come from all the sudden with his double double game?  the guy from orlando, 7 foot russian who starts and puts up numbers?  these are not flimsy toni kukoc cream puffs but bangers a la mark gasol.

we sit around year to year to year and other teams do all the finding and signing of this talent.  becuase they think outside the box that we are trapped in

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

The mere fact that the Celtics drafted and waited for Erden for 2 years tells you the Celtics are also looking for basketball talent outside the US.

[/QUOTE]

you have got to be kidding me.  erden was so well valued and welcomed to the team that he apparently decided one year in the NBA was enough and he was gonzo after that.  we valued him so little that he was included with a meaningless trade to CLE.

then you can take the 7 foot tall cup of euro milk we got from OKL....  he really stuck around, didn't he?  he wasn't the greatest, but worlds better than jason collins.  you can't be serious insinuating that the celts brass is really ENGAGED in the international arena?!! 

i mean for cripe sakes, we can't even do something as unimaginative as signing the bird man for a tiny dollar contract to help give KG a break and give us some shot blocking presence

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think the thread starter is talking about thinking outside the box- where you don't use draft picks, but you use brains and cunning to bring foreign players to these shores, and to your team.  our big find at first was stinko vrankovic back in 1986.  then dino "smoke a pack a day" radja in the 1990s...

and nothing since.

as time drones on, it's increasingly obvious that ainge is not talented enough and this seemingly empty headed jock sniffing ownership group is not engaged enough to ACTUALLY do developmental things properly. 

where did nicola vucevic come from all the sudden with his double double game?  the guy from orlando, 7 foot russian who starts and puts up numbers?  these are not flimsy toni kukoc cream puffs but bangers a la mark gasol.

we sit around year to year to year and other teams do all the finding and signing of this talent.  becuase they think outside the box that we are trapped in

[/QUOTE]

My point exactly, Acie. Thanks for elaborating.  Let me add Omer Asik and Tiago Splitter to your list.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to edcap99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You're right . Melo is Brazilian. So is Barbosa. Pietrus is a French national. However, all these guys were signed because they were already playing in the States. My point is that Danny Ainge should do more extensive scouting in the foreign leagues to increase the team's recruitment options.  Semih Erden from Turkey wasn't such a bust. Had he played longer for the Celtics, he would have become a serviceable back-up center for the Celts now.

[/QUOTE]

The mere fact that the Celtics drafted and waited for Erden for 2 years tells you the Celtics are also looking for basketball talent outside the US.

[/QUOTE]

Drafting someone at #60 hardly qualifies as "looking for basketball talent outside the US".  Erden just fell on Danny Ainge's lap, so to speak. The Celtics need to perform actual and extensive scouting for basketball talent outside the shores of the USA. Foreign talent is also generally less expensive and can help the team with salary cap issues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]

"i think the thread starter is talking about thinking outside the box- where you don't use draft picks, but you use brains and cunning to bring foreign players to these shores, and to your team."

acie

Once again an epic fail from you because you didn't do research.

Aron Baynes entered the 2009 Draft and went undrafted.

You can't just enter the NBA without being drafted.

[/QUOTE]

Baynes may have entered the 2009 NBA draft and went undrafted, but at least the Spurs have followed his playing career since then and now consider him ready for NBA enlistment. Give them credit for that. The Spurs made a similar move with Tiago Splitter. They drafted him and let him play out his contract in Europe until he was NBA ready. I saw how Splitter burned us last time we played the Spurs. Have the Celtics done anything similar?

Besides, when a player goes undrafted doesn't he in effect become an unrestricted free agent, and thus can sign with any team he chooses? The Spurs aren't using any of their future draft picks to sign Baynes.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you have got to be kidding me.  erden was so well valued and welcomed to the team that he apparently decided one year in the NBA was enough and he was gonzo after that.  we valued him so little that he was included with a meaningless trade to CLE.

then you can take the 7 foot tall cup of euro milk we got from OKL....  he really stuck around, didn't he?  he wasn't the greatest, but worlds better than jason collins.  you can't be serious insinuating that the celts brass is really ENGAGED in the international arena?!! 

i mean for cripe sakes, we can't even do something as unimaginative as signing the bird man for a tiny dollar contract to help give KG a break and give us some shot blocking presence

[/QUOTE]

Maybe we need to put u in charge of the Celtics since they are obvously not as smart as u

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

We should have kept Erden  we made room and at the time got nothing. We put our eggs in the wrong basket aka J.O

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

"i think the thread starter is talking about thinking outside the box- where you don't use draft picks, but you use brains and cunning to bring foreign players to these shores, and to your team."

acie

Once again an epic fail from you because you didn't do research.

Aron Baynes entered the 2009 Draft and went undrafted.

You can't just enter the NBA without being drafted.

[/QUOTE]

wonderful fierce.  so like i said, nobody SPENT A DRAFT PICK on acquiring this guy.  so it's a free for all.  what did san antonio give up to sign this guy other than whatever payoff they did to his euro team and the ink and paper on the contract?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe we need to put u in charge of the Celtics since they are obvously not as smart as u

[/QUOTE]

it doesn't take any smarts to recite the recent history of our involvement with international players and determine that other teams have been much more serious about it- and gotten great results. 

you need a few fish oil caplets to get that? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Felix Unger and Oscar Madison once let an Eskimo football player stay at their apartment.

Sections
Shortcuts