SR on Courtney Lee

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: SR on Courtney Lee

perfect player for our system and needs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Whatever.....moving right along. It all depends on the system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

The weaknesses sound the same as Ray Allen's.

His strengths however, sound better.

The athlete part.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: SR on Courtney Lee:
    [QUOTE]The weaknesses sound the same as Ray Allen's. His strengths however, sound better.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

very true

just a few % points lower on 3's and clearly not the credentials of the all-time best, but at this point he is better

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I really like this acquisition.  Good enough to start and not a big ego about coming off the bench.  Sounds like he has all the attributes to be a solid addition for this team.  He can spread the floor, create his own shot and get out of the fast break.  Plus he defends.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

As far as I'm concerned, Lee's signing with the Celtics has made Ray Allen's departure inconsequential. Lee fits into the Celtics system perfectly. He's definitely an upgrade on the 37-year old version of Ray Allen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to SR on Courtney Lee:
    [QUOTE]Courtney Lee: Strengths and Weaknesses http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/7/25/3185215/courtney-lee-strengths-and-weaknesses Strengths: Terrific athlete, can finish in transition with ease. Great three-point shooter, especially in the corners -- he led the league in corner threes (either the overall volume or just percentage, can't remember which) last season and shoots 40% overall from deep. Very effective pull-up jumper off one dribble. He's a great teammate and never ran into any problems as a Rocket in the locker room or off the court. He's also a top-tier wing defender and can give smaller forwards and guards tons of problems. Weaknesses: Doesn't have a great handle and is not effective in isolation. He can get bullied on defense by bigger players in the post. He's aggressive when he needs to be, but he's not someone who will give you anything more than a solid lift - you shouldn't depend on him to carry anything.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Focusing on the weaknesses here:

We don't need any more "iso" players, we have PP and Jet
    "Bullied" by bigger players? - well Wade torched Ray in the playoffs, AB will probably be in the game at the end.  James?  Who can really stop him anyway (except himself)?
    Now, you guys can help me out here - in the EAST, aside from Wade and Johnson, can anyone else "bully" him? 
    Great pickup!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

[QUOTE]As far as I'm concerned, Lee's signing with the Celtics has made Ray Allen's departure inconsequential. Lee fits into the Celtics system perfectly. He's definitely an upgrade on the 37-year old version of Ray Allen.
    Posted by edcap99[/

Upgrade?
    Ray Allen
    11-12BOS464234.00.4580.4530.9150.32.83.12.41.10.21.51.814.2

Courtney Lee
    11-12HOU582630.30.4330.4010.8260.42.32.71.51.20.41.11.811.4

I dont think so. Even ray allen's worst year is better. Lee is a good player, ray is a hall of famer. Ray is STILL a very good offensive player. At best its a wash (cuz lee is a better defender at this point) more likely its a slight downgrade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SR on Courtney Lee : [QUOTE]As far as I'm concerned, Lee's signing with the Celtics has made Ray Allen's departure inconsequential. Lee fits into the Celtics system perfectly. He's definitely an upgrade on the 37-year old version of Ray Allen. Posted by edcap99[/ Upgrade? Ray Allen 11-12 BOS 46 42 34.0 0.458 0.453 0.915 0.3 2.8 3.1 2.4 1.1 0.2 1.5 1.8 14.2 Courtney Lee 11-12 HOU 58 26 30.3 0.433 0.401 0.826 0.4 2.3 2.7 1.5 1.2 0.4 1.1 1.8 11.4 I dont think so. Even ray allen's worst year is better. Lee is a good player, ray is a hall of famer. Ray is STILL a very good offensive player. At best its a wash (cuz lee is a better defender at this point) more likely its a slight downgrade.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

4 more mins, 3 more points.  Lee played in more games and is younger.  Would you prefer "the additions of Jason Terry AND Courtney Lee make Ray Allen's departure not as big a deal as we originally thought?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

If the numbers don't lie it is simple for me:
    Ray (even last year) is a better player than either Terry or Lee. I know Terry very well as I'm following the Mavs games. He is a terrible defender and undersized as a SG. His only advantage about Ray (who I consider as an underated defender) is that he is better in creating his own shoot and for his teammates.

Lee I don't know very well but I like his size. If he defends well BOTH (Lee and Terry) together are better than one Ray (especially in the RS) as our problem was depth last year.

Critical aspects:
    a)If AB is back, will there be enough minutes for all of them (And Lee+Terry /> Ray)
    b)Why is Lee such a journeyman? If he is a stud from 3 land and on defense and plays for small money teams should be after him and not reject him almost every year!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In Response to SR on Courtney Lee:
    [QUOTE]Courtney Lee: Strengths and Weaknesses http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/7/25/3185215/courtney-lee-strengths-and-weaknesses Strengths: Terrific athlete, can finish in transition with ease. Great three-point shooter, especially in the corners -- he led the league in corner threes (either the overall volume or just percentage, can't remember which) last season and shoots 40% overall from deep. Very effective pull-up jumper off one dribble. He's a great teammate and never ran into any problems as a Rocket in the locker room or off the court. He's also a top-tier wing defender and can give smaller forwards and guards tons of problems. Weaknesses: Doesn't have a great handle and is not effective in isolation. He can get bullied on defense by bigger players in the post. He's aggressive when he needs to be, but he's not someone who will give you anything more than a solid lift - you shouldn't depend on him to carry anything.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

What a great 4 man backcourt the Celtics now have !

Rondo is the anchor that carries the load and then 3 other guys split minutes and stay hungry. None of the other three are forced to carry anything. Perfect

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]If the numbers don't lie it is simple for me: Ray (even last year) is a better player than either Terry or Lee. I know Terry very well as I'm following the Mavs games. He is a terrible defender and undersized as a SG. His only advantage about Ray (who I consider as an underated defender) is that he is better in creating his own shoot and for his teammates. Lee I don't know very well but I like his size. If he defends well BOTH (Lee and Terry) together are better than one Ray (especially in the RS) as our problem was depth last year. Critical aspects: a)If AB is back, will there be enough minutes for all of them (And Lee+Terry /> Ray) b)Why is Lee such a journeyman? If he is a stud from 3 land and on defense and plays for small money teams should be after him and not reject him almost every year!
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]

!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

We lost Ray Allen and his max salary
    We gained Lee and Terry for less money.
    The Celts could have done much worse

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SR on Courtney Lee : [QUOTE]As far as I'm concerned, Lee's signing with the Celtics has made Ray Allen's departure inconsequential. Lee fits into the Celtics system perfectly. He's definitely an upgrade on the 37-year old version of Ray Allen. Posted by edcap99[/ Upgrade? Ray Allen 11-12 BOS 46 42 34.0 0.458 0.453 0.915 0.3 2.8 3.1 2.4 1.1 0.2 1.5 1.8 14.2 Courtney Lee 11-12 HOU 58 26 30.3 0.433 0.401 0.826 0.4 2.3 2.7 1.5 1.2 0.4 1.1 1.8 11.4 I dont think so. Even ray allen's worst year is better. Lee is a good player, ray is a hall of famer. Ray is STILL a very good offensive player. At best its a wash (cuz lee is a better defender at this point) more likely its a slight downgrade.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]Ray Allen cannot create his own shots. Doc and Rondo have to draw up and execute complicated plays just to get him open. Ray has phenomenal stamina but his speed and lift are gone. His being a future hall of famer is not relevant to this discussion. Ray Allen earned his ticket to the HOF even before he came to the Celtics. Courtney Lee is by no means a hall of fame type player, but he is an above average player who will fill a role on the team. It's not a question of whether or not Lee will fill the scoring void created by Allen's departure. The addition of Jason Terry and return of Jeff Green are intended to address that situation. Besides, Lee is no shabby offensive player himself. IMO, Ray Allen's depature is timely for both himself and the Celtics.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

The weaknesses sound the same as Ray Allen's.

We lost Ray Allen and his max salary
    We gained Lee and Terry for less money.
    The Celts could have done much worse

Where is the gain?
    We lost so much because Ray knew the system.
    .....and who said Lee & terry better shooter than Ray & BB IQ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]The weaknesses sound the same as Ray Allen's. His strengths however, sound better. The athlete part.

Agreed

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]The weaknesses sound the same as Ray Allen's. His strengths however, sound better. The athlete part.

Agreed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SR on Courtney Lee : Ray Allen cannot create his own shots. Doc and Rondo have to draw up and execute complicated plays just to get him open. Ray has phenomenal stamina but his speed and lift are gone. His being a future hall of famer is not relevant to this discussion. Ray Allen earned his ticket to the HOF even before he came to the Celtics. Courtney Lee is by no means a hall of fame type player, but he is an above average player who will fill a role on the team. It's not a question of whether or not Lee will fill the scoring void created by Allen's departure. The addition of Jason Terry and return of Jeff Green are intended to address that situation. Besides, Lee is no shabby offensive player himself. IMO, Ray Allen's depature is timely for both himself and the Celtics.
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

Since rondo's best strength is creating opportunities for his teammates, its prob not the best thing to have a guy who can create his own shot, cuz then the ball is out of your best players hands in rondo. Ray's hall of fame credentials are still valid becuz hes still playing at a very high level. Lee is in his prime and cant put up a declining hall of fame players numbers. Id rather have a declining hall of fame player than an in his prime solid player. Just look at kg.  

Dont get me wrong I like courtney lee, hes a good player. Ray allen was a GREAT player who is now a good player who is  still BETTER  than lee.  I applaud da for getting both lee AND terry. I was just didnt agree with the prior comment about lee being an an UPGRADE over ray, that is simply not true. He is a slight downgrade. But with the combination of BOTH lee and terry we have upgraded our guard position as a whole.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

He is a very good "one dimensional" offensive player and that is it!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Great post! C. Lee is younger, more athletic, and won't complain (or begrudge team) when asked to come off of the bench!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

You may be right.  Although, the combination of Terry and Lee make the departure of Ray Allen a bit easier.  I am still disappointed that Ray left but Danny did a good job replacing him.  We have to be thankful that he contacted Terry as early as he did and that Terry wanted to sign with the Celtics. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SR on Courtney Lee : Since rondo's best strength is creating opportunities for his teammates, its prob not the best thing to have a guy who can create his own shot, cuz then the ball is out of your best players hands in rondo. Ray's hall of fame credentials are still valid becuz hes still playing at a very high level. Lee is in his prime and cant put up a declining hall of fame players numbers. Id rather have a declining hall of fame player than an in his prime solid player. Just look at kg.   Dont get me wrong I like courtney lee, hes a good player. Ray allen was a GREAT player who is now a good player who is  still BETTER  than lee.  I applaud da for getting both lee AND terry. I was just didnt agree with the prior comment about lee being an an UPGRADE over ray, that is simply not true. He is a slight downgrade. But with the combination of BOTH lee and terry we have upgraded our guard position as a whole.

The celtics did not got rid of Ray.He left on his own.The celtics replaced him with 2 good players.Are the better than Ray? lets wait and see.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I agree with Celts management; they wanted Ray back  and plan B (a solid Plan B, but Plan B nonetheless) was Lee. It really depends on whether post surgery Ray gets his lateral movement and lift back and is pain free. If so, he is still a near Hall of Fame player on many nights, just like Paul and KG. He plays defense in the playoffs more intenely than in the regular season and in the playoffs is a good man defender. I would have loved to see Ray go to the Clippers (instead of the Sheet) because he really could have been back to a 20 ppg guy on that team. If his ankle is right, Ray Allen can still carry a team offensvively in 2 or 3 games of a 7 game series; so can Paul, so can KG. I like Plan B and I'm glad Lee is a Celtic and I'm rooting for him and against Ray, but let's be realistic.

Sections
Shortcuts