Starting to really like Olynyk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Starting to really like Olynyk

Been watching alot of highlight videos and am starting to see why people compare him to Sullinger - in terms of smarts.  He doesn't wow you with athleticism, but makes the game look very, very easy.  I think I'm dead wrong about him and really am starting to get excited about this pick.

I'll say it again because no one on this board ever admits they are wrong, but I'm starting to think I was dead wrong about Olynyk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=0UYG1Ksrnm4&NR=1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Starting to really like Olynyk

great mid range on this guy. I thought they might draft him. If his game can adapt to NBA , he's going to be a point getter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

great mid range on this guy. I thought they might draft him. If his game can adapt to NBA , he's going to be a point getter

What I loved was the 65% shooting percentage and 82% from the free throw line.  That's efficiency.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

I don't know fellas.   A slow unathletic player struggles in the NBA.   Players in the league are very quick.   Will he be able to get his stuff off like he did in college?   Very questionable.   But, say he can hold his own.   Defense and rebounding he was not good in college.   Many NBA bigs don't have a lot of skills, but they do have strength.   I got the feeling Olynyk is gonna get 'gangstered', overmatched physically to be of any usefullness.   He may just be an unathletic Gerald Green - weak and can't play.   Smart?   Might be on offense.   But there have been many smart players from college who don't stand a chance in the pros.
       Colton Iverson:   I guess he's really big.   But, looks really slow.   Cs didn't even give Randolph a chance and he looks seems quicker than both these guys.
       Summer league will show against young pros (unless DA finds a way of not letting them play so that criticism can be deflected untill the winter).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to docc's comment:

I don't know fellas.   A slow unathletic player struggles in the NBA.   Players in the league are very quick.   Will he be able to get his stuff off like he did in college?   Very questionable.   But, say he can hold his own.   Defense and rebounding he was not good in college.   Many NBA bigs don't have a lot of skills, but they do have strength.   I got the feeling Olynyk is gonna get 'gangstered', overmatched physically to be of any usefullness.   He may just be an unathletic Gerald Green - weak and can't play.   Smart?   Might be on offense.   But there have been many smart players from college who don't stand a chance in the pros.
       Colton Iverson:   I guess he's really big.   But, looks really slow.   Cs didn't even give Randolph a chance and he looks seems quicker than both these guys.
       Summer league will show against young pros (unless DA finds a way of not letting them play so that criticism can be deflected untill the winter).

Slow unathletic like McHale?  I think he can do well in spite of not being really athletic but he moves pretty well for a 7 footer and he can definitely shoot.... we will see soon enough.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Why do you keep saying he was bad defensively in college? because you read it here?

He was 2nd in his conference in defensive rating last year, 3rd in his career. Oh and he was 1st in offensive. Look up the stats before making statements.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-olynyk-1.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Olynyk and Sully aren't similar players other than both had polished games coming out of college.

Oly looks like a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki to me, he can shoot the lights out, he can handle the ball well for a 7' tall guy, has three point range, is a good finisher on pick and rolls.  Sully is more of a tweener, I hope his back if fully healed, then we'll have a good young core of players to play or use in trade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbill. Show newbill's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Slow unathletic like McHale?  I think he can do well in spite of not being really athletic but he moves pretty well for a 7 footer and he can definitely shoot.... we will see soon enough.

Slow and athletic like McHale?  How about slow and athletic like Bird?   Neither one would have made it based on anything but winning. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

I think Ainge already learned his lesson.

Gerald Green was one hell of an athlete, but not really a good basketball player.

Olynyk is a basketball player like Jared Sullinger.

We won't have to wait long to see Olynyk in action as the Celts will be playing in the Orlando summer league next Sunday.

didnt we all???  So much athleticism sometimes doesnt get you anywhere..Seems ball IQ can go hand to hand with athleticism... Olynyk 7 footer playing forward?? brilliant pick if you ask me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

and we can say the same about Colton Iverson. The more I read about the guy, the more I see some sort of a pattern here..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Sorry guys.   Larry and Kevin were quick.   You can't do all they did - top 50 and all-pro being slow.   Just cause they were white doesn't mean they were slow.   Olynyk seems like ADAM MORRISON to me.   And no, I don't base it on what is read.   There are many videos on the internet of most players.   Some are scouting report videos (not just u-tube).   I base on knowing the game and watching players.   But, I guess summer league will show what he can do.
       Sully is not blowing the league away.   Show arms, tweener for a pf.   But, at least he doesn't get pushed around too easy.   Olynyk got pushed around while trying to board or playing defense like Gonzaga only had 4 players

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Sorry guys.   Larry and Kevin were quick.   You can't do all they did - top 50 and all-pro being slow.   Just cause they were white doesn't mean they were slow.   Olynyk seems like ADAM MORRISON to me.   And no, I don't base it on what is read.   There are many videos on the internet of most players.   Some are scouting report videos (not just u-tube).   I base on knowing the game and watching players.   But, I guess summer league will show what he can do.
       Sully is not blowing the league away.   Show arms, tweener for a pf.   But, at least he doesn't get pushed around too easy.   Olynyk got pushed around while trying to board or playing defense like Gonzaga only had 4 players

Morrison??? you must be an LA fan to make such comparison...ADAM MORRISON?? are you kiddin ?   .. Sully is not blowing the league away, you are right. Only 5 guys in the whole league blow the league away... then you have steady guys like Sully and then the rest..So, not bad at all!!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Not a big fan of Olynyk, but I hope I am wrong.

He is slow, and I am not sure he can get his shot off in the NBA.

And Bird was very athletic before he hurt his back. Bill Russell said so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Olynyk kind of reminds me of Greg Kite (short arms/weak D around the rim) with a little Laimbeer (not strong athletically but good outside shot). He'll be able to dance with Bosh around the perimeter but he's far from the inside presence/rebounder we desparately need and Melo still looks like a major project.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Been watching alot of highlight videos and am starting to see why people compare him to Sullinger - in terms of smarts.  He doesn't wow you with athleticism, but makes the game look very, very easy.  I think I'm dead wrong about him and really am starting to get excited about this pick.

I'll say it again because no one on this board ever admits they are wrong, but I'm starting to think I was dead wrong about Olynyk.

THINK younger, more agile and athletic, equally as skilled Pau Gasol type. I thnk he will be a very special big, very very soon!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

THINK younger, more agile and athletic, equally as skilled Pau Gasol type. I thnk he will be a very special big, very very soon!

People concerned about his rebounding are thinking of him as a center. Think of him as a 7 foot shooting power foward who plays the post as a 6th man off the bench, and a 5 in a small ball lineup. The draft video on the boston globe says he's quick, so he should be able to play the 4 with no problems.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Sully not blowing the league away???  Did you watch last year?  It took him a couple months to adjust to the speed of the NBA game granted, but you did not see Sully's progress?  If he had stayed healthy he would've received rookie of the year consideration.  Once he started to play close to 30 minutes a game, he was double-doubling routinely.  If he can stay healthy, I think Sully's going to be a beast.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

I believe he was the best pick after the 12th pick.Very smart player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to jrmccook's comment:

Why do you keep saying he was bad defensively in college? because you read it here?

He was 2nd in his conference in defensive rating last year, 3rd in his career. Oh and he was 1st in offensive. Look up the stats before making statements.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-olynyk-1.html

BINGO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Pick what  atributes you want about Laimbeer.   One thing you have to admit.   He was a banger (sometimes even cheap shot artist).   Didn't let anybody push him around (maybe cause he had Mahon to back him up).   If KO plays like that, then that will be a good thing.   He didn't play tough in college.   Got pushed around often.
       Sully didn't even play in rookie/2nd yr game.   Didn't play much in first half of season?   Got hurt b4 end of season?   Then how can anyone say that he blew other players away when he barely played?   Let's just say that he tried and we Cs fans are hopeful about Sully for the future.   But, he didn't blow anyone away.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

Olynyk kind of reminds me of Greg Kite (short arms/weak D around the rim) with a little Laimbeer (not strong athletically but good outside shot). He'll be able to dance with Bosh around the perimeter but he's far from the inside presence/rebounder we desparately need and Melo still looks like a major project.

You cannot draft the kind of player yuo are mentioning when you draft middle to end of 1st round.He was the bes player available at 13th.Be happy,give the guy a chance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I'll give the guy a chance but let's not forget how impressed we were with Melo after watching his draft videos and that Olynyk really didn't do much before this year.

True, it's hard to find anyone that good in the middle of a first round of a crappy draft which is why people think he would've fallen to the C's anyway and DA didn't have to burn two 2nd round picks just to get 'his' guy.

Sections
Shortcuts