Starting to really like Olynyk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Starting to really like Olynyk

In response to Fierce34's comment:

I think Ainge already learned his lesson.

Gerald Green was one hell of an athlete, but not really a good basketball player.

Olynyk is a basketball player like Jared Sullinger.

We won't have to wait long to see Olynyk in action as the Celts will be playing in the Orlando summer league next Sunday.

Spot on analysis Fierce.

Olynyk does not have length, athleticism or big hands. Rondo is a heady player, no two ways about that. Sullinger has a big BBIQ, I guess the same with Olynyk. You gotta believe that Avery is a smart kid. Jeff is not at that same level, but if you surround our athletic star (Jeff) with high BBIQ, it could create something special.

I think everyone in the NBA is still obsessed with a big man rim protector (like Jalen last night during the draft), but that isn't the only way to win. If you have have two stretch bigs who can knock down shots, with strong passing skills and high IQ, they will stretch out the floor and negate the blocking ability on the other team. I think this is where Danny is going with our future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I just watched a bunch of stuff on this kid because I was intrigued that we traded up to get him (I haven't lost all faith in Ainge yet). What I saw was a kid that is slow, can't jump and is lacking in athletism. I can't see a lot of the way he's scoring points working in the NBA. I can't picture him beating anyone in this league off the dribble. I can't see him getting rebounds, blocking shots or being able to play defense. I think we just drafted a poor man's Dino Radja.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

ive never been that impressed with melo except as a long term project.  I expect that the celtics expect olynyk to play this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

He's not as good as Raef Lafrentz from what I can see, and Raef didn't become an all-star. I think Shroeder, Hardaway Jr, Rice jr, and Dieng might scratch that surface. Very dissappointed. But I will be supportive of my team, regardless. Do you think Doc was tired of missing out on good players in the draft and free agency? Especially with Danny Green and David West tearing it up in the playoffs? I do. Doc is a smart man. Now he gets to make his own personell decisions. Will he go after Perk?! That would say a lot about how he felt about the Jeff Green trade.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Olynyk is not a Drik Nowitzki.  Not somebody that can be the center piece of the team.  But he can do very well in the right system.

First off, he played on a team with a very poor guard core.  Then, he has had really only had one year of significant minutes.  In that year, he has made excellent stride.

He started playing basketball as a point guard and has good ball handling skils, a good sense of passing and lanes and decisive moves.

I think that he is an ideal player for San Antonio style motion offense system.  If the Celts can get creative 2 and 3, they can have a great lineup.  Olynyk is probably a David Lee like player.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

He's not as good as Raef Lafrentz from what I can see, and Raef didn't become an all-star. I think Shroeder, Hardaway Jr, Rice jr, and Dieng might scratch that surface. Very dissappointed. But I will be supportive of my team, regardless. Do you think Doc was tired of missing out on good players in the draft and free agency? Especially with Danny Green and David West tearing it up in the playoffs? I do. Doc is a smart man. Now he gets to make his own personell decisions. Will he go after Perk?! That would say a lot about how he felt about the Jeff Green trade.

The reason why LaFrentz didn't reach his full potential was because of injuries.

Olynyk is not a great athlete. He's simply a basketball player who can put the ball in the basket in many ways.

yes...and that's all you need...put the ball in the basket.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

oh...and i love getting olynyk.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

KELLY OLYNYK: SHOOTING SUPERSTAR

On Thursday, June 27, the Celtics entered the 2013 NBA draft with the No. 16 pick. Not too many people were sure what player Boston would select, but most knew that the Dallas Mavericks were hoping to get out of the first round. The Celtics then sent their No. 16 pick and two second-rounders in 2014 to the Mavericks for the No. 13 overall selection. Therefore, Dallas originally drafted Kelly Olynyk, but he ultimately wore green at the end of the night.

Then the next day, I was listening to a podcast hosted by David Locke, the Utah Jazz radio play-by-play announcer. He said that the Jazz had Olynyk participate in their usual ‘Jazz 100’ shooting drill and the Canadian performed spectacularly:

[Skip to 9:08 in video]

Locke explains,

“The Jazz really wanted, and I think expected, to get Kelly Olynyk at the 14th pick…The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout. They put all the guys that come in for workouts – the guards do something called the ‘Jazz 100.’ It is 100 3-point shots in a short period of time, taking 10 [shots] from 10 different spots in 10 different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick-and-roll; some can be spot-ups where it is kicked out to you; some can be fading into the corner; [and] some are trailing in transition.”

For guards, they attempt all 3-pointers while the big men usually shoot long two-point field goals. However, the Jazz decided that the seven-footer from British Columbia would shoot 3-pointers.

Locke continues,

“Talking to Olynyk after the draft, no other team had him take more than five three’s by the time he had come to Salt Lake City. His next spot, by the way, leaving Salt Lake was to go to Boston. This is important. In the workout with the Jazz, Olynyk hits, I think it was, 63 of 100 three’s, which was like the second-most amount of three’s that anyone hit.”

Olynyk’s performance in this shooting drill must make Celtics fans smile, especially after he attempted only 30 shots from 3-point distance in 845 minutes on the court as a junior at Gonzaga. In addition, Olynyk’s scoring prowess at the hoop is another important part of his package as an offensive player. The 2012-13 Celtics were a great midrange shooting team, but Olynyk will help usher in the new era with strong scoring in the paint and from beyond the arc.

63% on threes.

That is really impressive for a big man.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

I'll give the guy a chance but let's not forget how impressed we were with Melo after watching his draft videos and that Olynyk really didn't do much before this year.

True, it's hard to find anyone that good in the middle of a first round of a crappy draft which is why people think he would've fallen to the C's anyway and DA didn't have to burn two 2nd round picks just to get 'his' guy.

I wasn't impressed with Fab Melo.  In fact, I never wanted them to draft him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"A slow unathletic player struggles in the NBA."

Yes, but they struggle less if they are tall. This guy can shoot over some peeps. 

Also, many big men in this league who can't take a jump shot are struggling (see: Kendrick Perkins). This guy can shoot. 

"I'll give the guy a chance but let's not forget how impressed we were with Melo after watching his draft videos and that Olynyk really didn't do much before this year."

Some important distinctions: Fab Melo was drafted as a three year project. He was raw and had only played basketball for a couple of years. There are some idiots on this board who expected him to play right away even though it was always clear he was a long term project. You don't get a 270 pound 7 footer in the 20 pick range if he isn't a project. 

Meantim, Olnyk was drafted much higher (maybe too high), grew up in a basketball family, started out as a point guard, and so is going to have much more natural ball handling and shooting skills than Melo. 

Olnyk is not a three year project and should get playing time this season, depending on where all of trader Danny's pieces land. 

I've never understood grading the draft a week after the draft. Summer league is a tease also. You have to wait and put these guys on the floor. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

KELLY OLYNYK: SHOOTING SUPERSTAR

On Thursday, June 27, the Celtics entered the 2013 NBA draft with the No. 16 pick. Not too many people were sure what player Boston would select, but most knew that the Dallas Mavericks were hoping to get out of the first round. The Celtics then sent their No. 16 pick and two second-rounders in 2014 to the Mavericks for the No. 13 overall selection. Therefore, Dallas originally drafted Kelly Olynyk, but he ultimately wore green at the end of the night.

Then the next day, I was listening to a podcast hosted by David Locke, the Utah Jazz radio play-by-play announcer. He said that the Jazz had Olynyk participate in their usual ‘Jazz 100’ shooting drill and the Canadian performed spectacularly:

[Skip to 9:08 in video]

Locke explains,

The Jazz really wanted, and I think expected, to get Kelly Olynyk at the 14th pick…The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout. They put all the guys that come in for workouts – the guards do something called the ‘Jazz 100.’ It is 100 3-point shots in a short period of time, taking 10 [shots] from 10 different spots in 10 different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick-and-roll; some can be spot-ups where it is kicked out to you; some can be fading into the corner; [and] some are trailing in transition.”

For guards, they attempt all 3-pointers while the big men usually shoot long two-point field goals. However, the Jazz decided that the seven-footer from British Columbia would shoot 3-pointers.

Locke continues,

“Talking to Olynyk after the draft, no other team had him take more than five three’s by the time he had come to Salt Lake City. His next spot, by the way, leaving Salt Lake was to go to Boston. This is important. In the workout with the Jazz, Olynyk hits, I think it was, 63 of 100 three’s, which was like the second-most amount of three’s that anyone hit.”

Olynyk’s performance in this shooting drill must make Celtics fans smile, especially after he attempted only 30 shots from 3-point distance in 845 minutes on the court as a junior at Gonzaga. In addition, Olynyk’s scoring prowess at the hoop is another important part of his package as an offensive player. The 2012-13 Celtics were a great midrange shooting team, but Olynyk will help usher in the new era with strong scoring in the paint and from beyond the arc.

Dude, Mployee great find, great article.

The part about him redshirting and leading the second squad to a point where they were "giving the starting line fits" and the coach had to tell Kelly to "back off" so not to hurt their confidence.

If Kelly is as smart as a pointgard, as skilled shooting at range, as mentally strong to the point where he sits out a year to get better and GETS BETTER ... he may well be a valued player-asset

Good get

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I will agree after watching his outside shooting he could be a really nice fit. I see him being a cross between Korver/Illyasova and I'm good with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Speaking of Green,he has showed more maturity and he still has his athletism but,he maybe a casualty of the Pacers resigning West. If we are going to keep Humpty Dumpty til the trade dealine our best chance is going to be with guys that have one more shot at proving they belong. The Pacers thought enough of him sign for the year and have him on the playoff roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

To whoever said he didn't play with good guards, I'd like to disagree.  I don't know about their draft status but for college players I thought they were pretty good.  One guy was deadeye, but more of a scoring guard.  Wasn't Stockton on the bench too?

anyway, I don't remember the zags having a weak core of guards.  Personally I think he was drafted about right.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Actually doc was saying he thought we should rebuild around JG. Perk isn't going to even be in the league in 2 years,let it go. Everybody has the right to their opinion but this Perk stuff just mystifies me. He pubicly said he wasn't going to resign with Boston and we got Green for him,he makes more than JG now and seriously do you think we would be better off with Perk or JG? I hope doc does go after Perk and his 8+ mil contract,that OKC would give to them in heartbeat,no less than a heart beat.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to docc's comment:

Sorry guys.   Larry and Kevin were quick.   You can't do all they did - top 50 and all-pro being slow.   Just cause they were white doesn't mean they were slow.   Olynyk seems like ADAM MORRISON to me.   And no, I don't base it on what is read.   There are many videos on the internet of most players.   Some are scouting report videos (not just u-tube).   I base on knowing the game and watching players.   But, I guess summer league will show what he can do.
       Sully is not blowing the league away.   Show arms, tweener for a pf.   But, at least he doesn't get pushed around too easy.   Olynyk got pushed around while trying to board or playing defense like Gonzaga only had 4 players

You should keep your absurd observations to yourself. It is apparent that your knowledge of basketball is in the toddler stage by the comments you made. Olynyk is nothing like Adam Morrison. I won't waste any more time explaining why to you, since I feel you judge your opinions on highlight videos or whatever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

Sully is one hell of a player and Olynyk is more athletic than Sully.

+1000

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

I think Ainge already learned his lesson.

Gerald Green was one hell of an athlete, but not really a good basketball player.

Olynyk is a basketball player like Jared Sullinger.

We won't have to wait long to see Olynyk in action as the Celts will be playing in the Orlando summer league next Sunday.

Don't forget about the marvelous "athlete" Kedrick Brown either. I'm sick of players that can only dunk and can't pass, dribble, rebound, or understand the totality of the game. Oh, but they are athletes, duhhhhhh!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"A slow unathletic player struggles in the NBA."

Yes, but they struggle less if they are tall. This guy can shoot over some peeps. 

Also, many big men in this league who can't take a jump shot are struggling (see: Kendrick Perkins). This guy can shoot. 

"I'll give the guy a chance but let's not forget how impressed we were with Melo after watching his draft videos and that Olynyk really didn't do much before this year."

Some important distinctions: Fab Melo was drafted as a three year project. He was raw and had only played basketball for a couple of years. There are some idiots on this board who expected him to play right away even though it was always clear he was a long term project. You don't get a 270 pound 7 footer in the 20 pick range if he isn't a project. 

Meantim, Olnyk was drafted much higher (maybe too high), grew up in a basketball family, started out as a point guard, and so is going to have much more natural ball handling and shooting skills than Melo. 

Olnyk is not a three year project and should get playing time this season, depending on where all of trader Danny's pieces land. 

I've never understood grading the draft a week after the draft. Summer league is a tease also. You have to wait and put these guys on the floor. 

I agree with that summation all but the Melo part,I didn't see it then and I don't see it now. The boy flat out shoot and he's a worker,who else have youi heard of decided to red shirt his Jr/Soph(?) to work on his game comes back and leads his team to a #1 late season ranking and into the first round?

Also that pic you posted last week when you were cracking on me was F'ing hilarious!!!!! I'm still cracking up about that one. Cool

Sections
Shortcuts