Stay the course

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Stay the course

The problem is Rondo will be a free-agent once Gasol or Love becomes a free-agent in 2015. Jeff Green can also opt out in 2015.

That's not a problem. Teams can exceed the cap when re-signing their own players.

Again, when was the last time a big name free-agent signed with Boston?

I've been a Celtic fan for more than 20 years and the biggest name the Celts got in free-agency was a 35-year old Dominique Wilkins.

The cap rules of the 80s and 90s are different than the ones of today and therefore irrelevant. If the Celtics are one of the only teams with enough cap space to make a major splash, of course players will sign with Boston. Gasol and Love aren't going to sign for the veteran's minimum with New York or LA simply because it's New York and LA. And again, look at the free agent list for the 2014-15 off-season. It goes a lot deeper than just Gasol and Love. There are a lot of big names on it. Not all of them can sign with the 2-3 teams you deem most attractive. I would rather take the reasonably good chance that the Celtics can sign two impact free agents (even if not necessarily Gasol and Love) than blow away cap space on the Al Jeffersons and Paul Millsaps who will merely ensure mediocrity. The Celtics have never been in a position in recent years to re-make their whole roster in a single off-season. Why not give it one try before saying it would be impossible?

Even with KG, Pierce, and Ray last season, Chris Paul refused to come to Boston.

Chris Paul is one player. Kevin Garnett initially refused to come to Boston too and quickly changed his mind. We don't really know how close the Paul deal was anyway.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Here's the thing, the Celtics can only go over the cap if they're a team over the cap. Once Rondo becomes a free-agent in 2015, the Celts will be under the cap. That means they can't sign an unrestricted free-agent first then sign their own player. So saying that the Celts sign Love first then sign Rondo to go over the cap is not possible.

Then re-sign Rondo first. The Celtics can offer him more years and money than anyone else. He'd likely accept. Then sign two out of the Gasol/Love/Aldridge/Chandler/Jordan group and a bunch of ring chasing veterans for the league minimum. I maintain that's a much better plan than impatiently killing what would otherwise be a tremendous amount of flexibility to sign Al Jefferson.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

We all know the Celtics won't be competing for an NBA championship the next couple years. If Ainge breaks up the team in order to free up a little bit of cap space to pursue younger second-tier free agents, that will merely prolong the rebuilding process.

To build a championship team you need high draft picks and cap space. Buying Pierce out in order to maybe sign an Al Jefferson makes the team worse both in the present and in the future because it delays the necessary bottoming out. There's no point in signing a second-tier free agent to long-term money if he's not going to make you a legitimate championship contender. It's counter-productive to the bigger picture.

Garnett is signed for two more years. I expect he'll play out the rest of his contract and then retire. He loves playing for Doc Rivers, he seems to like Boston, he's a prideful guy, he's still very talented, and there were reports that he intends to have both of his ankles surgically repaired this off-season. That's not something you generally do if you plan to retire.

If I'm Danny Ainge, I would arrange all the contracts in such a way as to expire at around the same time. That way the Celtics can truly make a major free agent splash, hopefully aided by some good draft picks in the interim.

Step 1: Exercise the $15.3m option on Pierce for next year, and extend him one season beyond that for $10 million.

This would set things up so that the Celtics only have Courtney Lee on a guaranteed contract beyond the 2014-2015 season (for one year). Jeff Green has a player's option. That would be the off-season to do some major wheeling and dealing. The entire roster could be re-done.

Available free agents in the 2014-15 off-season include:

PG - Rajon Rondo, Jeremy Lin, Steve Nash, Jose Juan Barea, Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, Goran Dragic.

SG - Lou Williams, Jason Terry, Doron Lamb, Alexy Shved, Eric Gordon, Danny Green, Marcus Thornton, Wesley Mathews.

SF - Wilson Chandler, Tayshaun Prince, Kyle Singler, Gerald Green, Luc Mbah a Moute, Landry Fields, Travis Outlaw, Jared Dudley, Victor Claver, Thaddeus Young.

PF - Mirza Teletovic, Reggie Evans, Brandon Bass, Tyrus Thomas, Carlos Boozer, Anthony Randolph, Drew Gooden, Kevin Love, Nick Collison, Glen Davis, Charles Hayes, Luis Scola, Jeremy Evans, LaMarcus Aldridge, Joel Freeland.

C - Brook Lopez, Brendan Haywood, Marc Gasol, Omer Asik, Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler.

If the Celtics only have Courtney Lee under contract, they could sign two max guys plus extend one or more of their own free agents. I'd sign Marc Gasol and Kevin Love to max deals, re-sign Rondo and Green, and see if maybe Garnett and Pierce would want to come back for short money on one-year deals if such a super team came to pass. Now that would be a team that could win a championship and it would only be the year after next.

So which is better? Assembling a super team in two years (re-check some of those names at C/PF, there'd be solid options if the top targets sign elsewhere), or treading proverbial water by making marginal upgrades this off-season? I say wait it out. Be patient. Rebuild when rebuilding will make a difference.

great post. this business about Al being the answer scares me a bit as i think he's still a bit soft but yeah the east got real good real fast so we'll get nothing easy next season. i think you're saying what a lot of people are thinking. danny did well but the east beefed up and we're not going to match up by playing push penny. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

You need a minimum of 13 players for a complete roster.

So if the Celts have 3 players getting a total of 45m, that means the Celtics will only have 20m to spend on 10 players. 2m per player?

How are the Celtics going to win a championship with 10 minimum salaried players?

The max is 2 superstars in one team. Gone are the days where you can have a Big 3. The new cap rules made sure of that.

Incorrect. You can re-sign your own players above the cap. Re-sign Rondo and Green first. Re-sign whoever else might still be around like Pierce and Garnett (for much shorter money), Bradley, Sullinger, various draft picks. Then sign two max players from the Gasol/Love/Aldridge/Chandler/Jordan group. Round out the final spots with ring chasers willing to accept the minimum. That's how Miami has done it and that's the new blueprint for success.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Like I said, once you go over the cap, you're a team over the cap. A team over the cap can't sign free-agents from other teams.

Mployee and I had this debate last summer. He kept insisting that the Celts can sign a free-agent from another team before re-signing Jeff Green, Bass, and KG. It didn't happen.

Next season the projected salary cap is 60m. Now, the Celts can either go under the cap or go over it. But the Celts can't sign a free-agent from another team then sign their own players to go over the cap. That's the rule.

Whatever the precise mechanisms may be, teams are able to effectively carry three max or near-max players on their roster. The Miami Heat have such a setup right now, as do the Lakers. It can happen and it does happen. If Courtney Lee is the only guaranteed player under contract in 2014-2015, I like Ainge's chances of making it work.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

You have to understand that asking Marc Gasol, Aldridge, or Love to move to Boston also means walking away from that extra year on the contract that will cost them close to 20m. Walking away from 20m is not easy.

What if it's a sign and trade? Then they get the extra year and the money.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

fierce,

what ever happens also is the fact that the nba is also the all friends league...If a player would turn down money would be to play with a friend..probably short money...then if they play with a friend and win a title in 2 or 3 years they can go back on the market and get bigger money..example this is a theoretical will never happen but here it is..

The celtics have rondo on there roster....kevin durant is a free agent and him and rondo are best friends...durant signes for a 2 year 24 million dollar deal..with a player option for a 3rd at 15 million or what ever.....Then durants friend is marc gasol...and gasol will sign for the mle......That would be the only way that happens...plus with boston there is endorsements and the close nature to ny..they could offer free agents acting roles..plus with playing with the best coach in doc.

also with the roster cant you do 12 players then have 3 players which dont count on the roster....for money but the ir. guys who get called up cause of injuries...

also if kg stays do you know of a friend of kg who could come if they let paul go..i heard kg and gortat are friendly....Could be mistaken...not saying a trade paul for gortat but it be a step...if it happens

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to DoctorCO's comment:

fierce,

what ever happens also is the fact that the nba is also the all friends league...If a player would turn down money would be to play with a friend..probably short money...then if they play with a friend and win a title in 2 or 3 years they can go back on the market and get bigger money..example this is a theoretical will never happen but here it is..

The celtics have rondo on there roster....kevin durant is a free agent and him and rondo are best friends...durant signes for a 2 year 24 million dollar deal..with a player option for a 3rd at 15 million or what ever.....Then durants friend is marc gasol...and gasol will sign for the mle......That would be the only way that happens...plus with boston there is endorsements and the close nature to ny..they could offer free agents acting roles..plus with playing with the best coach in doc.

also with the roster cant you do 12 players then have 3 players which dont count on the roster....for money but the ir. guys who get called up cause of injuries...

also if kg stays do you know of a friend of kg who could come if they let paul go..i heard kg and gortat are friendly....Could be mistaken...not saying a trade paul for gortat but it be a step...if it happens

I really don't know about Rondo and Durant being best friends. The one close friend of Rondo that I know is Josh Smith.

Also, there is no IR. Teams must have a minimum of 13 players and every player's salary counts against the cap.

KG's championship hunt, as a Celtic, is over. The only way KG gets another ring is if he plays with Lebron or Durant next season.

It's very obvious that KG is done. This is the first time that KG never had a 20-point game in a playoff series. 

I know it's hard to let go. But the window is shut. Time to move on and not try to cling to KG for sentimental reasons.

Really just an ignorant statement,,,

WOW KG didnt have a 20 pt game in the playoffs, your Gold Standard??

What KG did do is avg almost 13 pts , 14 rebs & 3.5 assists.. gee must be all washed up, huh.. who would want someone producing those numbers... theres more...50% Fg, 94% FT

KG was ranked #1 in rebs and #1 in grabbing available rebs in the playoffs through most of the Knick series...I dont know where he ended up.  He also played pretty good defense.

How anyone could surmise a player delivering what KG did in the playoffs is done, well, is beyond my comprehension. To state its obvious is just pure ignorance imo

Glad I could help

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

Really just an ignorant statement,,,

WOW KG didnt have a 20 pt game in the playoffs, your Gold Standard??

What KG did do is avg almost 13 pts , 14 rebs & 3.5 assists.. gee must be all washed up, huh.. who would want someone producing those numbers... theres more...50% Fg, 94% FT

KG was ranked #1 in rebs and #1 in grabbing available rebs in the playoffs through most of the Knick series...I dont know where he ended up.  He also played pretty good defense.

How anyone could surmise a player delivering what KG did in the playoffs is done, well, is beyond my comprehension. To state its obvious is just pure ignorance imo

Glad I could help

Seriously, Karl, did you even check the numbers properly?

KG's regular season numbers are 14.8 ppg and 7.8 rpg.

KG's career regular season numbers are 19.1 ppg and 10.5 rpg.

Playoff numbers?

KG averaged 12.7 ppg and 13.7 rpg in this year's playoffs.

His career playoff averages are 19.2 ppg and 11.1 rpg.

Just because KG averaged 13.7 rpg in the playoffs he's still worth 12.4m next season?

You're not only ignorant, you're dumb as well!

Everybody here who saw KG in the regular season knows KG is done. The Celts had to rest him in March and April, that's why the Celts only ended up with 41 wins.

KG is not done because of a 6-game sample size?

How about the 68 games that KG played in?

There you go again trying to shift the focus of what you said. Now youre comparing his career avg's to his regular season this year  LOL

Why dont you defend your statement that KG is DONE??  These playoffs 12.7 pts, 13.7 rebs, 3.5 assists, excellent defense, 50%FG, 94% FT...... and all you brought up was KG didnt score 20 this post season, he is done.. LOL

Stick to the subject!!  Your hilariously ridiculous posts give me a daily chuckle...dont wander from them

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

KG's production has gone down, thats clear. To say that he's done is not right though.

He could still have a role to play, even on the Celtics. But not for 12m per year, that's pretty clear to me.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Unfortunately KG only started to play great in this years playoffs after we got into a 2-0 hole.