Stephen A on the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Stephen A on the Celtics

I was listening to WEEI Sports radio and happened to catch an interview with Stephen A a few minutes ago....this guy can sure stir things up and you either love him or you hate him...I will tell you this...he has the utmost respect for Boston...he thinks Miami is the clear favorite now that they have "learned how to win" as did the Pistons and Bulls years ago....he thinks that Indiana would give the Heat the most trouble because (quote) "they know what they are and what they are not...they are an old school team that, when all else fails, will simply pound you physically"....that said, he thinks the Celtics can beat Indiana and, had Rondo not gone down, would have had a very good shot of making it to the Finals...

a few of his other comments:

on Doc....he thinks that he is the best coach in the league becase he is a "teacher of men"....his team will give everything they have for him night in and night out...he holds his players accountable and makes them want to excel...

on Rondo...."forget what he does or doesn't do during the regular season...come playoff time he is the best overall point guard in the league"

on Bradley..."people don't realize what a special talent he is defensively....point guards absolutely hate to go up against him"

on Bradley and Lee..."they are, without a doubt, the premier defensive back court in the league"

he also pointed out that the Celtics are #4 in defensive fg percentage and 2nd in 3 point percentage...

he noted that losing Perkins was something that this team has never gotten over because Perk was big, mean, and nasty inside and freed up KG to do his thing...he absolutely loves KG

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.....he really got my attention and got me thinking...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Stephen A on the Celtics

Don't be surprised if Perkins got amnestied by OKC in the offseason and returned to Boston.

I don't fully agree on Doc, though.  I don't think Doc is a "teacher of men".  To me, Doc is a coach who plays who he trusts and since it's tough to earn trust in your first couple of years, Doc is more apt to just sit you at the end of the bench.

Doc will continue to play the veteran players big minutes at the expense of developing talented, young players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Petey, I pretty much agree with you on Doc...I think what Smith was saying was that Doc commands the respect of his players and has a way of getting them mentally ready to excel....they really love the guy and want to play for him.....I'm not sure if he used the term "teacher" or "leader"...

I also forgot to point out that Stephen A said Doc is perfect for Boston because Boston is such a great sports town with a wonderful history and the fans are so demanding of excellence from  their teams.....the fans are pretty spoiled with the recent run of success from the Celtics, Sox, Patriots, and Bruins...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

Petey, I pretty much agree with you on Doc...I think what Smith was saying was that Doc commands the respect of his players and has a way of getting them mentally ready to excel....they really love the guy and want to play for him.....I'm not sure if he used the term "teacher" or "leader"...

I also forgot to point out that Stephen A said Doc is perfect for Boston because Boston is such a great sports town with a wonderful history and the fans are so demanding of excellence from  their teams.....the fans are pretty spoiled with the recent run of success from the Celtics, Sox, Patriots, and Bruins...

Surprised by the postitive comments by Stephen A about Boston.  I really didn't think he liked Boston very much. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Sully is a rookie, and Bradley played in his second year.

If you can defend, Doc will play you - can we please close this issue now???????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I definitelyi agree with Screamin' A on Doc. There isn't another coach in the league I'd want over  him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Duke4, you put quotations around Smith's comment about Doc being a "teacher of men".  That suggests that Smith actually said that.  So you're not sure if Smith used the term "teacher" or "leader"?  Okay, but you might not want to add the quotes to suggest that he did.

Nevertheless, I agree that Doc commands the respect of his players as well as players around the league.  But I'm not so sure HE always gets them mentally ready to excel.  I say that because on too many occasions this team comes out just plain flat (see Charlotte Bobcats game) and then during a post-game presser Doc appears totally oblivious as to why the team played like it did.  I don't think Doc has a true pulse of the team at all times (we don't practice enough).  The Celtics, for as talented as they are, have way too many stinkers (even with as much chemistry as they have developed during the season).

I think Doc is a "veteran's coach" who relies on the veterans policing the team.  He is not patient with young players and prefers to NOT develop them unless injuries force him to.

Just my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Headley, I don't think using one of the smartest big men coming out of college in awhile in Sully and AB who is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, is a fair representation of the many young players who were not developed in the Doc era.

And I doubt that you can even credit Doc with AB's defensive development.  That is IN him.  As for Sully, he looked good but the jury is still out on him.  He has the potential but we'll see what he can do long-term.  We thought the same thing about a guy named Glen Davis some years back.

The evaluation, selection and development of young talent just doesn't appear to be a strong suit of Doc's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Duke4, you put quotations around Smith's comment about Doc being a "teacher of men".  That suggests that Smith actually said that.  So you're not sure if Smith used the term "teacher" or "leader"?  Okay, but you might not want to add the quotes to suggest that he did.

Nevertheless, I agree that Doc commands the respect of his players as well as players around the league.  But I'm not so sure HE always gets them mentally ready to excel.  I say that because on too many occasions this team comes out just plain flat (see Charlotte Bobcats game) and then during a post-game presser Doc appears totally oblivious as to why the team played like it did.  I don't think Doc has a true pulse of the team at all times (we don't practice enough).  The Celtics, for as talented as they are, have way too many stinkers (even with as much chemistry as they have developed during the season).

I think Doc is a "veteran's coach" who relies on the veterans policing the team.  He is not patient with young players and prefers to NOT develop them unless injuries force him to.

Just my opinion.

c'mon soldier boy....what is your "personal"

vendetta with both DOC & PIERCE...do you

really expect any COACH to come out before

a game and say "MT TEAM IS NOT READY TO

PLAY"....what the hell is wrong with you...

and after any game when a team stinks up

the joint , after both sufficent practices and

team meetings and discussions , and lays

egg after egg , do you WANT THE COACH

to throw his players under the bus....all DOC

is saying is " i don't know what more we can say

or do for the guys to play as they should be

playing"...just because he is "mouthing" these words does

does mean we should take those words "LITERALLY" and

you know dam well what he means...these guys are not

"kids" they should not even need a coach....what's your

beef soldier boy...please tell us....you of all

people know or should damn well know , that

when you go into "BATTLE" .....e-x-p-e-r-i-n-c-e

TRUMPS inexperience each & every time...

so that your use of the word "veterans"

is grossly misleading....DOC may not be

the MAN to either ....TEACH OR LEAD...you

into and or on THE BATTLE FIELD....but he

is perfect for this group of .....CELTIC MEN !!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

In response to binbones' comment:

Just my opinion.

Is this a song????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to binbones' comment:

Just my opinion.

It's his opinion, man, relax.  I don't agree that Doc never plays young players, but that's no reason for all this venom!

Petey is a great Celtics fan!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Hedleylamarr, it's cool.  It's not a big deal at all.

Sometimes it's best to just ignore nonsense.

Someone's looking for attention.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Headley, I don't think using one of the smartest big men coming out of college in awhile in Sully and AB who is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, is a fair representation of the many young players who were not developed in the Doc era.

And I doubt that you can even credit Doc with AB's defensive development.  That is IN him.  As for Sully, he looked good but the jury is still out on him.  He has the potential but we'll see what he can do long-term.  We thought the same thing about a guy named Glen Davis some years back.

The evaluation, selection and development of young talent just doesn't appear to be a strong suit of Doc's.

Petey, I think what makes it difficult is that a team "going for the chip" needs to build an identity over seeing what they have in the young guys who may or may not be in the league in a few years.  I think Doc has still managed to get guys on the floor early in their careers even though it's not the emphasis like it was when they finished last in the league.  We can't have it both ways.

A lot of guys come in the league and have some success early and still don't last.  Doc challenges young players to find out what it is that they can do to help "the team", and if they can fill a productive role, he plays them within the function of the team.  When players learn this early and respond they are more likely to have a solid ten year career.  I actualy think Docs approach and understanding of what it takes to last in the league is the best thing that could happen to a player in their first couple years.  They learn to become professionals after being the star their life up to that point.    

I'll admit, it's frustrating at times when I'd like to see some more TWill, but Doc knows that Terry's identity within this team will pay bigger dividends in the playoffs, I hope.  (this is hard for me to believe at times)  

Big Baby is a good example.  He got some playing time early in his career, filled an important role, grew in some ways as a player, would be huge for this team right now if only he accepted his role and didn't think about himself over the team.  Could have had a solid career for a competitive team.  But instead he spoiled his way out of town.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Don't be surprised if Perkins got amnestied by OKC in the offseason and returned to Boston.

I don't fully agree on Doc, though.  I don't think Doc is a "teacher of men".  To me, Doc is a coach who plays who he trusts and since it's tough to earn trust in your first couple of years, Doc is more apt to just sit you at the end of the bench.

Doc will continue to play the veteran players big minutes at the expense of developing talented, young players.

That's not likely. when a player is amnestied, teams with cap room get first shot to sign.  We don't have cap room so we are WAAAAAYYYYY down the list. If Perk is let go he will most likely end up somewhere else. 

Also, Doc, plays guys when they are ready. I'm guessing you were calling on Doc to let Jajuan Jonson play last year. The guy isn't in the league now.  Sullinger however was getting a ton of playing time, and Avery bradley took Ray Allen's job his second year. 

Doc plays guys if they are able to handle it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

after game 5 of the heat series last year SAS said it was over for miami.  he's just a typical frontrunner

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

after game 5 of the heat series last year SAS said it was over for miami.  he's just a typical frontrunner

That was funny. Every time he swithched, the series switched back the other way.  But all in all I like Steven A. Smith.  It's his job to go overboard one way or the other in that context.  He doesn't seem to have a vandeta against anyone, except for Brady, about which he couldn't be more wrong.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to passfirst's comment:

Petey, I think what makes it difficult is that a team "going for the chip" needs to build an identity over seeing what they have in the young guys who may or may not be in the league in a few years.  I think Doc has still managed to get guys on the floor early in their careers even though it's not the emphasis like it was when they finished last in the league.  We can't have it both ways.

A lot of guys come in the league and have some success early and still don't last.  Doc challenges young players to find out what it is that they can do to help "the team", and if they can fill a productive role, he plays them within the function of the team.  When players learn this early and respond they are more likely to have a solid ten year career.  I actualy think Docs approach and understanding of what it takes to last in the league is the best thing that could happen to a player in their first couple years.  They learn to become professionals after being the star their life up to that point.    

I'll admit, it's frustrating at times when I'd like to see some more TWill, but Doc knows that Terry's identity within this team will pay bigger dividends in the playoffs, I hope.  (this is hard for me to believe at times)  

Big Baby is a good example.  He got some playing time early in his career, filled an important role, grew in some ways as a player, would be huge for this team right now if only he accepted his role and didn't think about himself over the team.  Could have had a solid career for a competitive team.  But instead he spoiled his way out of town.     

Rondo, Perkins, Jefferson, Sullinger, Bradley, Davis and Ryan Gomes were all players Doc has worked with and developed.  Who has he NOT worked with?

Giddens? out of the league

Walker? out of the league

Erden? playing in Turkey

So, I ask you, name ONE player we drafted that Doc has not played.......who was any good!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Rondo, Perkins, Jefferson, Sullinger, Bradley, Davis and Ryan Gomes were all players Doc has worked with and developed.  Who has he NOT worked with?

Erden? playing in Turkey

So, I ask you, name ONE player we drafted that Doc has not played.......who was any good!!

I'd add Tony Allen to this list as well.  Doc even gave him solid minutes at the PG spot in his second year.  Tony battled through injury, found his role, and Doc had it right with him.  When he went to Memphis thinking he'd be a star, he settled back into the same type role he played with the Celtics.  Doc helped him become that.  His defense wasn't a given when he first came into the league and Doc said "do this and you'll get into the game" once KG/Pierce/Ray arived.  T.A. worked hard for it and as a result will have a solid ten year career in the NBA.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Erden? playing in Turkey

I'd add Tony Allen to this list as well.  Doc even gave him solid minutes at the PG spot in his second year.  Tony battled through injury, found his role, and Doc had it right with him.  When he went to Memphis thinking he'd be a star, he settled back into the same type role he played with the Celtics.  Doc helped him become that.  His defense wasn't a given when he first came into the league and Doc said "do this and you'll get into the game" once KG/Pierce/Ray arived.  T.A. worked hard for it and as a result will have a solid ten year career in the NBA.  

Excellent example of those who think Danny doesn't draft well, too.

In that draft, he took Al Jefferson, Tony Allen and Delonte West

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I can't think of a single player that blossomed after leaving the Celtics.  Who do you have in mind?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Kiss of death getting endorsed by Stephen A... whats he mean Doc gets 100% from his team night in n out and holds them accountable??? Whats this idiot been watching?  

Sounds like hes been watching the C's only since Rondo went down... before that, how on earth could he makes most of those statements.. I enjoy his shock-jock type shows but hes not too high up on the credibility ladder

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Sully is a rookie, and Bradley played in his second year.

If you can defend, Doc will play you - can we please close this issue now???????

Gotta side with Hedley on this one, as frustrating as it has been to see rookies riding the pine for the past 6 years , there is absolutely a method to Doc's way of thinking - if the rookies can defend they get playing time - Glen Davis did, Semih Erden did, Sully did, Avery broke out in his 2nd year and caused the team to let Ray Allen walk.

I just wish we could be watching Perry Jones III for 20 minutes a night......that young man can play basketball and has a bright future in this league. Haven't seen much of him but boy oh boy does he remind me of Chris Webber....Mr Jones has skills....