Stern to blame

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Stern to blame

Jumping in on the Lebron bigger than the game chat.

Certainly Gilbert was wiping this kids nose from day 1. lebron hadnt proved anything and how many cant misses have we all seen in pro sports fall on their faces?? Well, its a long list. However, there are some distinctions that I think apply.

Remember, the NBA is not rec basketball... where a coach can make sure the team a star player doesnt become more important than the team. He has many tools at his disposal, such as the bench. 

However, the NBA is a business and think about the Cav franchise b4 Lebron. It was the equivilent of having an NHL hockey team domiciled in Kenya.

Lebron made Gilbert & Cleveland a ton of money. By default, Gilbert became his slave... What was the owner to do? AS much as I dislike Lebron & always have after his first few years in the NBA for all the fawning over him & his own self absorption (esp when I took notice of his back tat CHOSEN ONE, lets at least admit he was a marketing superstar for the Cavs & NBA.

I cant blame Gilbert too much ... he was in a no-win situation and placated Lebron to milk as much $$ as he could. He held no leverage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Stern to blame:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stern to blame : if you read my post Pud I said "bigger than the game"  not bigger than the team......what you said is correct but it is the NBA who placed LeBraun on this pedestal that made him bigger than life ever since he was in HS......
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

As I understood things, however imperfectly, Gilbert signed LBJ's paychecks, not Stern, not the NBA, not NBA fans.

Big, BIG difference.

The one who signs the check always has leverage, if he has sufficient sack to use that leverage.

Pud

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Jumping in on the Lebron bigger than the game chat. Certainly Gilbert was wiping this kids nose from day 1. lebron hadnt proved anything and how many cant misses have we all seen in pro sports fall on their faces?? Well, its a long list. However, there are some distinctions that I think apply. Remember, the NBA is not rec basketball... where a coach can make sure the team a star player doesnt become more important than the team. He has many tools at his disposal, such as the bench.  However, the NBA is a business and think about the Cav franchise b4 Lebron. It was the equivilent of having an NHL hockey team domiciled in Kenya. Lebron made Gilbert & Cleveland a ton of money. By default, Gilbert became his slave... What was the owner to do? AS much as I dislike Lebron & always have after his first few years in the NBA for all the fawning over him & his own self absorption (esp when I took notice of his back tat CHOSEN ONE, lets at least admit he was a marketing superstar for the Cavs & NBA. I cant blame Gilbert too much ... he was in a no-win situation and placated Lebron to milk as much $$ as he could. He held no leverage.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I don't feel too sorry for Gilbert, though.  He's a LOT more wealthy than the rest of us and Lebron made him huge amounts of money (especially on non-basketball revenue such as concession sales in the arena).    So, time for Gilbert to move on and get the next great draft choice with his lottery picks.

I especially agree that the NBA promoted LeBron WAY too much.  They put his name above the concept of team basketball.  They crowned him the next Jordan before he won ANYTHING. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Jumping in on the Lebron bigger than the game chat. Certainly Gilbert was wiping this kids nose from day 1. lebron hadnt proved anything and how many cant misses have we all seen in pro sports fall on their faces?? Well, its a long list. However, there are some distinctions that I think apply. Remember, the NBA is not rec basketball... where a coach can make sure the team a star player doesnt become more important than the team. He has many tools at his disposal, such as the bench.  However, the NBA is a business and think about the Cav franchise b4 Lebron. It was the equivilent of having an NHL hockey team domiciled in Kenya. Lebron made Gilbert & Cleveland a ton of money. By default, Gilbert became his slave... What was the owner to do? AS much as I dislike Lebron & always have after his first few years in the NBA for all the fawning over him & his own self absorption (esp when I took notice of his back tat CHOSEN ONE, lets at least admit he was a marketing superstar for the Cavs & NBA. I cant blame Gilbert too much ... he was in a no-win situation and placated Lebron to milk as much $$ as he could. He held no leverage.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Good post, I agree, Gilbert had no leverage here, which is why we are in the lockout situation today!

Sections
Shortcuts