Still not impressed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Still not impressed

In Response to Re: Still not impressed:
    [QUOTE]Hey I remember our discussions about Perk as well last season.  Perk is a very limited contributor and in no way resembles Rondo who is a force this team cannot do without.    Perkins however can be rally killer.  His turnovers, errant shots, and terrible free throw shooting will be front and center when he starts playing again.  He runs poorly and passes with poor vision.  Still he is a great screener and pick setter.  He also can get offensive rebounds and will play tough defense on certain players.  Bottom line he is more a positive than a  negative.  A wide body as he should be called.   So the point that Dudder makes is correct this guy is certainly not a big get for free agency.  He will not attract that much in trade. And Shaq is far more valuable in the playoffs if he can stay healthy and out of foul trouble.  Perk is coming back but let's not get too excited.  I am of course hoping he proves me wrong and has greatly improved. Let's not  forget his propensity for ill timed fouls and his favorite technicals. He will be welcomed back and I am right there. He is however limited and only because of the make up of this great team his drawbacks can be somewhat mitigated.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I agree with your caution about Perk.   All of the things you say about him are true (and he drove me crazy at times last year).   I'd even add that he's coming off knee surgery and its "iffy" whether or not he can do as well as in the past on the first year after knee surgery (most people don't - look at KG last year).  

However, what is the Celtics SINGLE LARGEST PROBLEM?   yes, Rebounding!!   Perk helps us in the place where we are weakest.  he's a beast underneath and will cut down on the other team's offensive rebounds by helping us with defensive rebounds.  He's no savior.  He's just another very important tool to be mixed into an already good team.  if we needed him for scoring or for carrying us at times, I'd worry.  But, with Rondo, KG, Ray, Paul, West, Nate, 'Quis, BBD, the scoring is not the issue.  Rebounding and having another body when our big men are in foul trouble is what we need.   Help defense is also important.  And, we need a big man who can guard Howard one on one and guard the Tim Duncan's/Andrew Bynum's of the world.   So, guess what Perk provides?   Don't you think it will help tremendously to have someone to do this dirty work and use his 6 fouls so we don't wear out KG or have to use the inexperienced Semih Erden?

That's why we are excited about Perk coming back.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I agree completely.  I was just commenting about others who were speculating about his free agency and trade value.  We need him no doubt about it.  Delonte we may be surprised if healthy we may need even more. Nobody seems to know when he will be back though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Only an idiot or a troll would argue we are better without Perk. Even if Perk's replacements played as well or better than him, we lose them from the bench! Duh....

" keep saying this bench isn't all that great. I hope they're better when West and Perk come back...which I think they will be."

Yup. I think that's the key. If these two guys come back healthy the bench should look good. 

Right now, you're right, the bench is so-so at best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Still not impressed:
    [QUOTE]    Let me moderate.   Yes, I'm impressed w/ PP's ability to create.   Go one on one.   Hit big shots.    RA's ability to hit the J (wish I could shoot so good).   KG sure can shoot ....and can play D.   But, ...;    Love shaq's enthusiasm.   Too bad BB doesn't have his other mid size baby tower (Leon Powe).   But the front office sure doesn't help out.   I feel DA/Papile is in the bottom half of front office ability.   They're just sucking out all the ability of the Boston 3  cause of their lack of ability.   3 yrs and still don't have ability to improve the bench.   From best bench to mediocre.... I don't get to watch many C's games, but when I see highlights, box scores or the few games I see etc, it's always the same.   Bench is only out there for starters to rest.   If C's have a lead, it's reduced.   If they're behind, the stay that way.   Nobody on the bench can score other than Shaq's big self.   C's win it seems nothing but close games thanks to the ability of Bost-3 to play half court ball and execute.   DA got rid of all bench power and didn't replace.   JPosey, EHouse.   Offensive boarder LP.   Just had to build on that, but instead let it fall cause front office doesn't know what it's doing.   NR can't make two shots in a row.   I'm still not sure if Wafer should be in the NBA, never mind on a contender.   JON might have been over-the-hill couple yrs ago and continues to have very little left even when not hurt (I thought C's should have tried to get Brad Miller).   West may help, but over 3 yrs, the C's should have a much better bench even if they didn't want to spend much $.   LP and EH were accepting close to vet min to be w/ C's.   Between RA's reduced salary, KP not being expensive and not even DW being expensive, C's could have a more productive bench.   Is C's front office responsible for the Maine (? Lobsters ?) D-league roster?   They have ? 12th best record of 16 teams.   Or is it DA's son?   Whatever, DA touches, it turns to coal.   I'm wrong?  If C's only get one championship of this Bost3, then to me, it will be due to DA/Papile's incompetence......C's lose to Bullets (I like that name) and KG w/ only 4 boards in 35mins!!!!   Tragic.   TRAGIC.   This is a reason the C's should reaquire LP.   Harangody isn't bad, but he will be too short to consistently board in the playoffs.   Tho C's 2nd round picks are valuable to give for LP(is that sarcasm I read) cause they end up better than C's first rounders.   JP isn't needed much in Pacer land (? for JON).   C's front office...Tragic.   TRAGIC.
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]
    Bench is only out there for stareters to rest? Welcome to all sports at cany level. The bench is out there to keep from surrendering too much of the lead the starters have garnered. Celts bench does a pretty good job of that.House AND posey are way over the hill .When star caliber players become available for bench duty at an affordable price, let me know. Until then ,I`m fine with guys like Baby, Delonte, Shaq, Quis.nOBODY LIKES A WHINER.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Rebounding is not important cause the C's shoot so well!!!   Obviously when Phil told his Lakers to crash the boards last yr shows that philosophy doesn't hold.   When RA is asked to do too much, who off the bench is gonna help free him up so he can't be key'd on so much.   "RA it's either you or nobody to spread the court (occassionaly PP).   Many of you are like DA.   Not only did C's get killed off the boards, but 35yo RA got burned out in a long playoff series.   C's still don't have any help for that aspect of the game.   Is this DA/Papile/DA's son posting these comments on this forum?   Cause I don't see any playoff team improvement.   Only home team, regular season improvement.   I'm from the Red Arnold school of GM'n.   Improve for the playoffs from year to year.   DA/Papile's talent judgement is a fraud.   I'm into winning championship.   Not putting people in the seats for the regular season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Still not impressed:
    [QUOTE]Only an idiot or a troll would argue we are better without Perk. Even if Perk's replacements played as well or better than him, we lose them from the bench! Duh.... "  keep saying this bench isn't all that great. I hope they're better when West and Perk come back...which I think they will be." Yup. I think that's the key. If these two guys come back healthy the bench should look good.  Right now, you're right, the bench is so-so at best.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I cant recall anyones post claiming we are better without Perk. The point some are trying to make is Perk wont be coveted in FA as some believe. His game was very limited and thats before having major knee surgery.

Actually, I believe Perk was worse last season than the season before.  There was a point in time where Perk was developing offensively. Short hooks & short base line jumpers. Then, it vanished. He even has a difficult time dunking and his rebounding tailed off in the second 1/2 of last season. 

I dont forsee tremendous competition to sign Perk. There will be teams interested in him but not for big money. No way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Watch out for Wallace @ Memphis.   He may want KP just cause he's big and he is the type of Gm to overpay cause of lack of talent judgement.

Sections
Shortcuts