Still want to see this trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Still want to see this trade

In terms of adjusted FG% during this last season, Rondo had .497

PGs better than Rondo:

Calderone, Curry, Paul, Hill, Williams, Robinson, Thomas, Evans, Lawson, Irving, Lillard, Jack

PGs worse than Rondo:

Conley, Teague, Ridnour, Miller, Dragic, Lin, Felton, Knight, Vasquez, Westbrook, Nelson, Jennings, Holiday, Walker, Wall, Ellis, 

Thats not bad for a player who's strenghts are passing & rebounding

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about this trade? Wallace after 9/12 and a pick for J Thomphson,I Thomas and T Outlaw.

It's very unlikely the Celts will surrender a 1st round pick at this stage of the rebuilding process.

And Wallace is 31 years old and still has 20.2m left on his contract after this season.

Does not make sense for the Kings.

[/QUOTE]
    I think the players involved and the dismissal of Wallace would justify the 1st and the Kings would be paying Thompson and Outlaw about 2 million less over the same time but they would  get a 1st we would get a player with length as well as upside and a decent role playe that is 26. The Kings might not want to let go of Thomas then  we forget the 1st or go 14 for 15 1sts. The Kings get rid of 2 players they don'thave plans for leftover from the old regime and pick up a solid veteran presence for close to the same money overall. Since were talking hypertheticals we might also trade Humpty and PPs exception for P gasol ?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I just threw the gasol one out there. I read where Outlaw has 3 more years left. Any way I still don't see Humpty being here on opening day. As to the exemption, I was unaware that you couldn't use it in a deal to even out aggregate salaries of a multi player deal. So just for example we could use it if we traded Humpty straight up for Gasol and it could be used to make up the salary diference ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Or are you saying we couldn't do that but we could like trade the exemption itself for a player worth =< 10 mil. I don't even pretend to know about the exemption so I figured it was a cap loophole that could be used in any trade for 1 calendar year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Lets-GO-Red-SOX!!!

Lets-GO-PA-TRI-OTS!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Rondo and Bass for Asik and Lin and 2 1st round picks is fair to me.  Asik is far superior to Bass in my mind.  Serviceable young big men are valuable, and Rondo, as great as he is, is limited.  Maybe he comes out of his shell now that the legends are gone and starts to light it up from outside.  Stranger things have happened.  In the next two years I think it is really a wash due to Asik.  He is just far better than anyone we have.

How many very good centers are out there?  Now how many very good PG's.  Easier to replace the PG.

I just don't understand this mentality. Have you ever watched Rondo play? Did you see ANY of the playoffs (this year excluded) the last few years? Does your mind not register triple-doubles? Do you refuse to believe that Rondo shot 50% from mid range this past half year? Does the assist streak (2nd of ALL TIME) not count because its Rondo? I guess the championship doesn't count either becase Rondo wasn't the go-to guy in his sophmore season...

Seriously, come out of his shell? This kid is already a star, and you people treat him like D.J Augstin could replace him and we'd be better off. 

Y . I . K . E . S !

You forgot a very special stat! Since Feb 2012, a time spanning about 10-months of NBA league games, Rajon Rondo has been suspended THREE TIMES for getting physical with an official. Two times for making personal contact and another for throwing the ball at one, all just because he was upset. No other player comes close to RR for the worse show of immaturity and self control in the entire league. Yup, he is the KING! Oh, and have you noticed how 3-HOFers and a proposed HOF head coach just kinda walked away from playing with the AMAZING TEAMMATE, Unbelievable PG and GREAT LEADER that RR is???? "Y . I . K . E . S !" Baffling why that would happen, to say the least...........Oh, but there is no proof that Rondo is a problem..........THERE IS NO PROOF THAT RONDO WAS ANYTHING BUT THE PROBLEM.......Hey R9R, look what I got for ya, "OOOOOOOH, SHIIIIIIINYYYYYY!!!!"

GO SOX!!! GO PATS!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Can we all agree with the following basic list of Rondo's strengths and weaknesses?

GOOD:                          BAD:

Assists                           3 pt/outside shot

Rebounds                       Foul shooting

Ability to score               Turnovers

Self confidence               Decision making

Penetration to basket     Holds the ball too long out front, paralyzing offensive flow    

Excells in big games       No Consistency (underwhelmes against mediocre teams)

Defense (past)               Defense (now) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Can we all agree with the following basic list of Rondo's strengths and weaknesses?

Penetration to basket     Holds the ball too long out front, paralyzing offensive flow    

I agree with everyone of these Dunk, but where do you put the all important, so very critical, make or break the future of the Celtics with this new group, "Leadership" trait???? As we all know, this is the one that is supposed to mean the most when it comes to a rebuild........ 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Swagger is not the same as self-confidence.

Rondo plays with swagger but not with self-confidence.

If anything, this kids walks around with serious self-esteem issues that cloud his judgment.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree with everyone of these Dunk, but where do you put the all important, so very critical, make or break the future of the Celtics with this new group, "Leadership" trait???? As we all know, this is the one that is supposed to mean the most when it comes to a rebuild........ 

[/QUOTE]

That is THE BIG question, Rally.

Rondo had better not only be on Page 1 with Stevens on Day 1, but he also needs to be an extension of Stevens on and off the court - or he will not be percieved as THE leader, A leader, or even our PG for long.  

I actually think its a very good thing that Rondo will start the season on the sidelines. It will reduce the chance of him butting heads with Stevens out of the gate, it will force the cultivation of another different team leader on the court, and give Rondo a chance to bond with the new coach, a new system and new players, with less pressure and scrutiny. 

Whether he takes advantage of the situation or not will determine his future and his value to the Celtics and potentially to other teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

That is THE BIG question, Rally.

Rondo had better not only be on Page 1 with Stevens on Day 1, but he also needs to be an extension of Stevens on and off the court - or he will not be percieved as THE leader, A leader, or even our PG for long.  

I actually think its a very good thing that Rondo will start the season on the sidelines. It will reduce the chance of him butting heads with Stevens out of the gate, it will force the cultivation of another different team leader on the court, and give Rondo a chance to bond with the new coach, a new system and new players, with less pressure and scrutiny. 

Whether he takes advantage of the situation or not will determine his future and his value to the Celtics and potentially to other teams.

IF Rondo is able to adjust, and change for the beter in all of the areas of need, I will be the biggest Rondo fan on this board. I was in the beginning, but he showed his azz one too many times for me years ago. BUT adversity changes people. I want him to be great! Lets hope IF DA doesn't trade him, he will be a true leader and teammate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

< "Turnovers wrong">

Please do some research before posting. 

Last year, Rondo did not play in the minimum number of games to be included in the stats.

However, IF we took his previous season as comparison, Rondo would have had more turnovers than all 36 listed PGs, except 1 (Holiday) with an average of 3.4 per game.  In 2011 he had the 4th most turnovers of all players in the NBA.  The year prior, he had the 5th most turnovers in the entire NBA.  Seems to be a VERY clear record that he has a turnover problem and in fact its getting worse!!.    

More difficult to assess decision making and defense.  My were from his three suspensions, more than any NBA player last year and observing him play lazy D by constantly reaching in (a fundamental lazy technique) watching his man drive into the lane, breaking down our team D.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

If RONDO has to be traded , I pray Ainge can do better than Lin & Asik and the 28-31 pick

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Ok thanx for the clarification. OK then how about after 9/2 we try to trade Humpty to Pheonix for Gortat and K Marshall. This works on espn trade machine and the Suns would get extra cap relief and divest themselves from Marshall who ius odd man out with them having Bedsoe and dragic. Gortat and Bass supposedly are pals and workout together in the offseason. This trade I beleive would give us a very solid froncourt,save a few bucks to get under the cap this year,give us PG depth,give Pheonix extra cap savings after this season which is seemingly what Pheonix is trying to do to become a major player in next years FA bonanza. This trade would make us, I feel a better all around team than last year and give us a player we would be more likely to try and resign that would probably be for the amount Humpty is making now. I've said it over and over,I don't think Humpty will be on our opening day roster and this would be the best deal for the Cs. Gortat is young yet proven solid player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

If RONDO has to be traded , I pray Ainge can do better than Lin & Asik and the 28-31 pick

Really?  For me its a no brainer.  I trade Rondo for 1). a quality good-rebounding young starting long term center, 2). a starting PG (who will be a quality backup next year) and a first round pick who can be packaged with another of our plentiful first round picks to get into the low lottery and target a PG like Harrison or Smart (or wait till the strong PG field in 2015 draft).

We get a free center, a free backup PG, and upgrade at starting PG. (if we get low enough to snag the Wall, Lillard, or Irving that seem to come out of every draft.   

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to G0DVERNMENT's comment:

[QUOTE]

< "Turnovers wrong">

Please do some research before posting. 

Last year, Rondo did not play in the minimum number of games to be included in the stats.

However, IF we took his previous season as comparison, Rondo would have had more turnovers than all 36 listed PGs, except 1 (Holiday) with an average of 3.4 per game.  In 2011 he had the 4th most turnovers of all players in the NBA.  The year prior, he had the 5th most turnovers in the entire NBA.  Seems to be a VERY clear record that he has a turnover problem and in fact its getting worse!!.    

More difficult to assess decision making and defense.  My were from his three suspensions, more than any NBA player last year and observing him play lazy D by constantly reaching in (a fundamental lazy technique) watching his man drive into the lane, breaking down our team D.  

more false information. for the 2011-12 season rondo was 8th in TO's behind kobe bryant, lebron james, deron williams, steve nash, russell westbroook, kevin durant, and john wall. it is not uncommon for pg's or players who handle the ball the large majority of the time to have high TO numbers.. what really matters for a PG is the assist-to-turnover ratio, and rondo's is very good, always has been (4th best in 2011-12). so again, you're wrong. can Rondo improve his TO #'s? absolutely, that's true for any PG. but does Rondo have a TO problem and therefore is a careless ball handler and decision maker? NO

Rondo is regarded throughout the league as one of the more intelligent basketball players and decision makers with the ball in his hands.

[/QUOTE]

Like the time the ball was in his hands and he threw it at the ref?  Suspension.  

or the multiple times he dribbles out front until the shot clock has run down and he has to throw up a desparate 3 pointer ?   

I don't agree that he is regarded throughout the league as "one of the more intelligent..."

So we can agree to disagree on those 3 of at least 7 listed deficiencies..  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

[QUOTE]

Really?  For me its a no brainer.  I trade Rondo for 1). a quality good-rebounding young starting long term center, 2). a starting PG (who will be a quality backup next year) and a first round pick who can be packaged with another of our plentiful first round picks to get into the low lottery and target a PG like Harrison or Smart (or wait till the strong PG field in 2015 draft).

We get a free center, a free backup PG, and upgrade at starting PG. (if we get low enough to snag the Wall, Lillard, or Irving that seem to come out of every draft.   

[/QUOTE]

First of all, please stop saying "Really" ?

Yeah , REALLY !

I WOULD NOT trade Rondo for Lin & Asikbecause 2 useful and decent player plus the 28=31 ist pick in the first round DO NOT add up to ONE superstar who is a gamechanger, a Champion , an MVP type of player.....

We should be able to get Lin & Asik for Humphries and Pressey because Houston HAS TO unload one or both of them next year when they have their poison pill contract hit of $14.5M EACH , either we dump Humphrys or it's Bass & Lee or a deal with Wallace (who I think the C's should keep) , HOUSTON has to dump the $30M in salary next season , NO WAY do we give up Rondo (and put him on a Championship team) for 2 role players and the 30th pic......Yes,  REALLY.....no brainer is right

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to G0DVERNMENT's comment:

Brian Scalabrine christened Rondo the smartest player he has ever played with. Being Scal’s smartest teammate is no small feat. Scal played with Jason Kidd, one of the best lead guards ever, when Kidd was the NBA’s best point guard. He played with Derrick Rose when Rose won the MVP. He played with Kevin Garnett, who quarterbacks defenses and never stops teaching his teammates. He played with Paul Pierce, one of the craftiest scorers of his era. Yet even when compared to Scal’s other elite teammates, Rondo stands out.

“Rondo is conceptually smarter than both of those guys,” Scal told Comcast, referring to Kidd and Rose. “He thinks the game like a coach. He thinks of the different types of offense that [he] can use early, that he won’t use late. He’s just on—intellectually, he’s just on a totally different level than any player I’ve ever seen.

“When he was young and he was doing that, he was deemed uncoachable. As this thing’s going along and he gets older and we see how it all plays out, now people are starting to think, like, ‘Maybe he was just right.’ In his rookie year, his second year, he was making adjustments on the fly, and he was telling guys, like, ‘This is what we need to do to win.’ And this guy’s a second-year point guard, and it—it works.

“And that’s the thing you have to understand. He’s one of the smartest—I’m just gonna go out there: he’s the smartest basketball player I’ve ever played with, as far as understanding what he needs to do to run that position and what he needs to do for us to score in the fourth quarter. He’s not thinking about the second, he’s not thinking about the first. He’s thinking … ‘Down the stretch, where am I going to go, what am I going to pull out of my back pocket that I know I can go to to win a game?”

Scal’s opinion is exactly why we cherish secondary access to athletes and coaches, why we yearn for their thoughts. Sure, I can watch Rondo nightly, observe his masterful no-look passes, marvel at the way he runs a team, and thank the basketball gods that the Celtics chose him with the 21st pick in the 2006 NBA Draft. But without Scal, I would not possibly be able to compare his intelligence to Jason Kidd’s. Of course, I could have compared Rondo’s IQ to Tony Allen’s IQ without enlisting Scal’s help; those two players’ intelligence are distant enough for Stevie Wonder to see the difference.

Excellent post. Love Scal. I have 100% trust in his opinion. He doesn't trade Rondo, so I wouldn't either. In his last interview he also said KO should never be forced to play the NBA 5. He is a 4 who over time will develop into a 3. I trust that.

Sections
Shortcuts