Strange comments from the Rondo interview?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

Strange comments from the Rondo interview?

Two comments from Rondo came across as a bit strange to me. The first one was, "It's not like I would root against my team...". Wouldn't such a statement go without saying? By stating it, it almost sounds like he thought it needed to be clarified. The second statement of concern to me was, "I'm still a Celtic for the most part." What does that mean??

I may be overanalyzing things a bit so feel free to dismiss my ideas. I can say that I remain open minded about whether the Celtics are better with or without Rondo. There are so many other variables that affect the degree to which he can help the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Strange comments from the Rondo interview?

He is an odd dude.

There is no doubt about it.

I tend to look at what people do and not what they say, but I agree those are kind of weird comments to make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

meh. not a fan of much of his attitude but this is a non-issue imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to hondorondo's comment:

Two comments from Rondo came across as a bit strange to me. The first one was, "It's not like I would root against my team...". Wouldn't such a statement go without saying? By stating it, it almost sounds like he thought it needed to be clarified. The second statement of concern to me was, "I'm still a Celtic for the most part." What does that mean??

I may be overanalyzing things a bit so feel free to dismiss my ideas. I can say that I remain open minded about whether the Celtics are better with or without Rondo. There are so many other variables that affect the degree to which he can help the team.

I'm trying to find that statement. Not that I don't believe you! but I would like to read it again.

Thanks,

Gary

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The comments can be found on CelticsBlog. They are no doubt snippets from an interview that is scheduled to air on ( I believe) the 18th on ESPN.

I don't put too much stock in the comments having any hidden meaning. We don't know what the question was that these comments were in answer to. Without knowing  I wouldn't want to take them out of context. It sounds like these comments were in response to a question about those who are talking about whether or not the Celtics are better without him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2013/04/rajon_rondo_mak.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

The comments can be found on CelticsBlog. They are no doubt snippets from an interview that is scheduled to air on ( I believe) the 18th on ESPN.

I don't put too much stock in the comments having any hidden meaning. We don't know what the question was that these comments were in answer to. Without knowing  I wouldn't want to take them out of context. It sounds like these comments were in response to a question about those who are talking about whether or not the Celtics are better without him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2013/04/rajon_rondo_mak.html

No matter the question... the answer is always....

"Its not about me... its about T-E-A-M. That's all that's important!!!

Next question, please. No more questions?  Thank you!"

DA cannot be happy with R9R opening his mouth and putting his tempermental foot in it.

What are other GMs thinking about such comments?

Their heads are likely spinning.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

No matter the question... the answer is always....

"Its not about me... its about T-E-A-M. That's all that's important!!!

Next question, please. No more questions?  Thank you!"

DA cannot be happy with R9R opening his mouth and putting his tempermental foot in it.

What are other GMs thinking about such comments?

Their heads are likely spinning.

Pud

I see your point...but like I said..I'd rather see the whole interview and hear the context in which those comments are made. Reporters are famous for parsing out indivual statements for effect..rather than taking the statement as a whole.

That being said...Ainge shouldn't be too surprised at anything coming out of Rondo's mouth. He's not exactly known for his tact or maturity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

The snot nosed over rated spoiled brat is likely reacting to some teammates vast impovement in both play and attitude since the boy wonder got shelved.  Hes not happy that many believe Rondo was an albatross to the rest of the team...  He's expressing himself as if you say 'Im gonna show you guys'...  Hopefully his knee heals well and some other team will fall for the hype and give us something of value for him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

karl, IMO your celtics experience would be so much more pleasant if you would embrace rondo and doc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo whatever mood he is in, if healthy would have been just what we needed tonight.  It is called a match up problem. Green and Rondo are both match up problems. A shame with KG and Pierce there is a chance they will never all be healthy again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Yeah, the "I'm still a Celtic for the most part".....comment raised my eyebrows for sure.

Sounds like Rondo thinks he may get wacked this offseason by Ainge

From the looks of this team the last month, I think KG and Pierce should be the one's dusting off their luggage.

Time waits for no one.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

Or they could have asked him what it felt like to go through rehab and not see his teammates every day, or if he misses shoot around or what it would be like to play for another team.  Definitely need to see the context here but to suggest that Ainge or the other GMs would look at Rondo any differently because his answer wasn't completely Belichikian is pretty extreme.  

Stockton, Malone, Scotty, Michael, Larry, even Brady, all of these ultra competetive guys come across as jerks sometimes but in today's ultra hype media frenzy machine Rondos transgressions are magnified beyond reason.  Also the fact that hes a Celtic means hes not protected like some of the other superstars who would be just as frustrated if they saw their big men getting hosed on foul calls at home all night long against the golden boy teams.  

Believe me I wish the kid was a little more mature and would attack the basket earlier in games and would play lock down D but that's a lot to ask of a guy his size.  Still, I believe that RR gives the Celtics the best chance, along with Jeff Green, to get another ring.  It would be great if it happened while KG and Pierce are still around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

karl, IMO your celtics experience would be so much more pleasant if you would embrace rondo and doc. 

It would be like going after the beautiful girl who has herpes; it aint gonna happen. You'd have to be a special human being whose willing to accept other flawed beings-warts and all

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Rondo whatever mood he is in, if healthy would have been just what we needed tonight.  It is called a match up problem. Green and Rondo are both match up problems. A shame with KG and Pierce there is a chance they will never all be healthy again.

Realistically, one could posit Rondo also is frequently mismatched when he plays his matador style defense. If you're giving as good as you get its basically a wash. I think the question is not whether or not Rondo(& anybody else) is better than our current unsteady backcourt, but whether his presense makes us a significantly better team. I think after a 20-23 record w/ him & a 20-16 record w/out him it has become clear that he's not that much of a game changer. Seriously, shouldn't our record be significantly worse w/out him? Especially w/ the loss of Sully as well(our only real post presence). If Sully were healthy, his loss would be even  more marginal. Couple that w/ a less than 100% effort expended in the regular season(he's saving himself for the wedding) leaves us w/out home court advantage in the playoffs and eventual extinction. Even in the glorious Bird era we needed home court to win. He's not worth the glory bestowed upon him. And his attitude is just de-icing on the cake...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

My Celtic experience is just fine, has been for a long, long time. Perhaps Im strange in voicing displeasure for what I believe are detriments to the team.  This isnt Nazi Germany with the Gestapo monitoring my every post. Heck, Ive been an Oakland Raider fan almost just as long and feel the same way.

Just strikes me as odd you would think a person with a dislike for what two people in the Celtics organization bring to the team should embrace them.  Sure, if I was the coach, gm, player or owner Id embrace them to get the most out of them and for harmony (generally speaking) .... but Im a fan... just a fan..  and I can say what those people would rarely say..speak my mind. makes my Celtic experience much more enjoyable to me than if forced fed Celtic koolaid

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

I agree Karl. No need to drink the coolaid. This team, prior to Rondo's injury was not going anywhere. Too old and too Doc driven favorite players ruled. The injury that hurt worse was Sully going down. He was only getting better and better with ever minute. Rondo is and always will be an inigma. I used to support his play a few yrs back. Now, I support his trade. I just don't see his working on his craft like Bird, Magic, Jordan and hate to say it but Lebron. Although Lebron is greatly aided by the league officials. That is another hole topic. Back to Rondo. He is not the answer going forward for this team. The answer is hard to determine though. The entire league is now in decline for lack of incoming talent. Too many entering the draft with little to no experience. It is a watered down league now. And the Cs are not alone nor will they be in the search for talent where not much can be found. Simple.

My Celtic experience is just fine, has been for a long, long time. Perhaps Im strange in voicing displeasure for what I believe are detriments to the team.  This isnt Nazi Germany with the Gestapo monitoring my every post. Heck, Ive been an Oakland Raider fan almost just as long and feel the same way.

Just strikes me as odd you would think a person with a dislike for what two people in the Celtics organization bring to the team should embrace them.  Sure, if I was the coach, gm, player or owner Id embrace them to get the most out of them and for harmony (generally speaking) .... but Im a fan... just a fan..  and I can say what those people would rarely say..speak my mind. makes my Celtic experience much more enjoyable to me than if forced fed Celtic koolaid

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

Realistically, one could posit Rondo also is frequently mismatched when he plays his matador style defense. If you're giving as good as you get its basically a wash. I think the question is not whether or not Rondo(& anybody else) is better than our current unsteady backcourt, but whether his presense makes us a significantly better team. I think after a 20-23 record w/ him & a 20-16 record w/out him it has become clear that he's not that much of a game changer. Seriously, shouldn't our record be significantly worse w/out him? Especially w/ the loss of Sully as well(our only real post presence). If Sully were healthy, his loss would be even  more marginal. Couple that w/ a less than 100% effort expended in the regular season(he's saving himself for the wedding) leaves us w/out home court advantage in the playoffs and eventual extinction. Even in the glorious Bird era we needed home court to win. He's not worth the glory bestowed upon him. And his attitude is just de-icing on the cake...

so are you saying Derrick Rose doesnt make the Bulls much better either?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennCelt53. Show KennCelt53's posts

I watched the interview and was disheartened when he said he was a Celtic for the most part. Nothing good comes to a team when a player publicly shows a lack of fulthroated support for his team and teammates. This coming from one who was considered one of the team leaders. It may be a veiled suggestion to team management that he doesn't want to be a Celtic any more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Its a "Freudian Slip". The subconscious parts of one's thoughts force the person to share their deepest feelings through verbal/non-verbal communications and actions. So one could reasonably interpret this to mean that he has been internally "rooting against" his team, and then he shares his paranoia about his future with the team when saying "I'm still a Celtic, for the most part." Yup, he's weird alright......

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

Thank you for allowing me this slam dunk opportunity. First of all, responding with a question about a entirely different player does not usually convey a position of strength. To compare a MVP winning player that vaulted his team to a 62 game season (his last full healthy season) whose current team will be lucky to win 45 games(43 wins) to Rondo(who wouldn't even be in all-star consideration if he were in the West) is laughable. To say that this point is irrelevant is dismissing the fact that the MVP is for the entire league.. A winning percentage difference of .756 to .544 is hugely significant. If this is really all you have to say about my original post than don't mind me hanging on the rim a little longer...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I care so much about the things that Rondo says.

I think about his personality all the time.

I onlly post about Rondo. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Its a "Freudian Slip". The subconscious parts of one's thoughts force the person to share their deepest feelings through verbal/non-verbal communications and actions. So one could reasonably interpret this to mean that he has been internally "rooting against" his team, and then he shares his paranoia about his future with the team when saying "I'm still a Celtic, for the most part." Yup, he's weird alright......

I think that is very possible..  Watching the team reel off win after win with renewed vigor and enthusiam once Rondo was kncoked out prob got to him.  Hating the fact the Celtics became a much better team once he was off it was a huge hit to the boy wonders ego...

its a hint what fuels Rondo...his ego and being the only reason the Celtics can be successful. Its also rebellion agasint the players that hinted things were better sans Rondo... he was holding them back...along with his empowering, grossly over rated cheerleading coach Doc

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

Thank you for allowing me this slam dunk opportunity. First of all, responding with a question about a entirely different player does not usually convey a position of strength. To compare a MVP winning player that vaulted his team to a 62 game season (his last full healthy season) whose current team will be lucky to win 45 games(43 wins) to Rondo(who wouldn't even be in all-star consideration if he were in the West) is laughable. To say that this point is irrelevant is dismissing the fact that the MVP is for the entire league.. A winning percentage difference of .756 to .544 is hugely significant. If this is really all you have to say about my original post than don't mind me hanging on the rim a little longer...

interesting. also interesting that you are choosing to ignore the fact that Rondo has led his team through the playoffs since the 09 season. Without Rondo do we make it past Chicago in 09? Do we go to the finals in 2010? Do we take Miami to 7 games in the ECF last year? Are you suggesting that Rondo wasnt at the forefront of those accomplishments? 

Rondo has been the best playoff performer in the NBA the last 5 years. People that choose to ignore that are insane.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Care to comment on the interview, Jamez?

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts