Strategic Considerations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Strategic Considerations

We all know that the Celtics will need a quality starting center in order to compete with elite teams.  Garnett is old. We don't have a legit center on the roster.  Melo is an unknown, but anything worse than Perkins is unacceptable and Melo isn't even close to Perkins. 

I see the following possibilities:

1.  Danny just sits still, writes this year off, and begins serious rebuilding by targeting our BIG in FA or in trade after this season. 

2.  Danny gets an acceptable multi-player deal in place by the Feb deadline for a high quality center like Cousins or Gortat and gives up quality Celtics players, which may include one or more of the following:  Pierce, Rondo, Green, Bradley, Sully.

3.  Danny may just want to put a short term bandaid in the middle, with someone like Denver back-up Mosgov, to compete at an acceptable level and not anger the fans (and best case make the East finals) thinking that either Melo or Mosgov can be trade bait next year in a serious rebuilding effort.

Since we didn't do a deal by Jan 15, I'm thinking that track 3. is most likely and given Barbosa's trade request, I wouldn't be surprised to see a straight-up Barbosa for Mosgov trade (or addl junk to make the financial transaction work) in the near term.  

As a side note: I also think Danny needs to look closely at Doc.  He drove Barbosa out. and I strongly suspect Doc is the reason that Milicic left, who must have been Danny's temporary solution in the middle.  and Ray signing for less money with Miami also says something about the coach. But most of all, Doc does not do well with young players. He is a veteran's coach and not the best fit in a rebuilding effort IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

Re: Strategic Considerations

Doc chased away Barbosa?? Didnt barbosa say it was about his contract??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

He signed the contract.  Doc didn't play him.  Who knows how he was treated.  He obviously wan't a happy camper on Doc's team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

We all know that the Celtics will need a quality starting center in order to compete with elite teams.  Garnett is old. We don't have a legit center on the roster.  Melo is an unknown, but anything worse than Perkins is unacceptable and Melo isn't even close to Perkins. 

1.  Danny just sits still, writes this year off, and begins serious rebuilding by targeting our BIG in FA or in trade after this season. 

2.  Danny gets an acceptable multi-player deal in place by the Feb deadline for a high quality center like Cousins or Gortat and gives up quality Celtics players, which may include one or more of the following:  Pierce, Rondo, Green, Bradley, Sully.

3.  Danny may just want to put a short term bandaid in the middle, with someone like Denver back-up Mosgov, to compete at an acceptable level and not anger the fans (and best case make the East finals) thinking that either Melo or Mosgov can be trade bait next year in a serious rebuilding effort.

Since we didn't do a deal by Jan 15, I'm thinking that track 3. is most likely and given Barbosa's trade request, I wouldn't be surprised to see a straight-up Barbosa for Mosgov trade (or addl junk to make the financial transaction work) in the near term.  

As a side note: I also think Danny needs to look closely at Doc.  He drove Barbosa out. and I strongly suspect Doc is the reason that Milicic left, who must have been Danny's temporary solution in the middle.  and Ray signing for less money with Miami also says something about the coach. But most of all, Doc does not do well with young players. He is a veteran's coach and not the best fit in a rebuilding effort IMO.

interesting. So the Miami Heat have a quality starting center?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Barbosa, or Terry or Lee should be traded for a big whether or not they are happy.  5 good guards when you have no center and three good bigs isn't really a good recipe for success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

I'm not inclined to educate you... but maybe you haven't heard that, yes in fact the Heat are actively looking for a big before the deadline to compete in the playoffs.  

When you're the bottom two teams in the NBA in rebounding, you need to fix that deficiency, and even more so if you don't have the offensive of Wade, Lebron and Bosh to compensate for the weakness...  

Garnett is a reluctant bandaid at Center, who will get worn down and beatup at that position in the playoffs.  Wilcox and Collins are worthless.  Bass and Sully are too small to provide decent help underneath. Melo isn't ready.  We don't need a rebounding PF (like Gay). We need a true Center.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I'm not inclined to educate you... but maybe you haven't heard that, yes in fact the Heat are actively looking for a big before the deadline to compete in the playoffs.  

When you're the bottom two teams in the NBA in rebounding, you need to fix that deficiency, and even more so if you don't have the offensive of Wade, Lebron and Bosh to compensate for the weakness...  

Garnett is a reluctant bandaid at Center, who will get worn down and beatup at that position in the playoffs.  Wilcox and Collins are worthless.  Bass and Sully are too small to provide decent help underneath. Melo isn't ready.  We don't need a rebounding PF (like Gay). We need a true Center.  

You and I have made this type of statement for weeks.  Danny will probably come up empty and end up with your option 3 that being Mozgov.  I don't know anything about him but what are the chances he will make any impact and get minutes from Doc.  The thing that really bothers me is Collins, how could they have ever thought even at third string this guy could help our size challenged team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Mozgov only gets about 10MPG with Denver as a backup but he is a decent athlete at 7' and a better center IMO than about 25% of starters in the league.  He can block the middle, doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and would get at least 20 MPG and provide much needed rest and flexibility for Garnett.  He will be a FA and so Denver may want to move him to get at least something for him. I was thinking Terry, but now Barbosa could probably make it work too.   

The Heat will be interested and may put a better deal on the table. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He isnt a bad athlete, and he is not a horrible center.  he won't do anything to make the Celtics a contender though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

He isnt a bad athlete, and he is not a horrible center.  he won't do anything to make the Celtics a contender though.

Correct.  As stated, he would be a temporary band-aid.  He would provide some relief and flexibility for Garnett which would improve this team and give us some fill-in help should Garnett go down.  He IS DEFINITELY NOT the solution for us in the middle though. and will not allow us to compete at a high level in the playoffs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

its clear when we rebound remotely well we have a pretty good chance of winning so IMO where not that far away from being a good team just upgrade bass and i like are chances

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

its clear when we rebound remotely well we have a pretty good chance of winning so IMO where not that far away from being a good team just upgrade bass and i like are chances

I think the upgrade on bass is already here. Bass could just dissapear and it wouldnt matter.  Sully getting 32minutes a game and KG getting 16 minutes a game at PF takes care of that.

The upgrade needs to be at center. They need another guy who can get 25 minutes a game at the 5.  If they get that this team has a shot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

That's true.

Some people here are underestimating the Hornets. The Hornets are a very tall team, Rob Lopez 7-0, Anthony Davis 6-10, and Aminu 6-9.

what do you think about a trade for robin lopez? with the hornets clearly got there big man of the future in anthony davis hornets would probabley listen not sure if theyd b intrested in bass tho

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

I agree totally, except I would rather have Dalembert.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

i agree with you i just got the idea from  http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/01/13/celtics-most-realistic-trade-target-try-robin-lopez/

That's true.

Some people here are underestimating the Hornets. The Hornets are a very tall team, Rob Lopez 7-0, Anthony Davis 6-10, and Aminu 6-9.

what do you think about a trade for robin lopez? with the hornets clearly got there big man of the future in anthony davis hornets would probabley listen not sure if theyd b intrested in bass tho

Robin Lopez is still 24 years old. He could be a part of the Hornets future. 

And I think it's best if Anthony Davis stays at PF.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

i agree with you i just got the idea from  http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/01/13/celtics-most-realistic-trade-target-try-robin-lopez/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

this trolls straight insane

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

No but the have perhaps the best player in basketball, another superstar (slightly past his prime but still gets superstar calls). We don't have a superstar and that is the difference.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

That's true.

I have never like Robin. Don't like the way he looks or plays.  Of course if he could play like he did against us I guess I could rethink that.  Why do less than average players look like a superstar against us?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In other words Doc is not a good coach? I agree. He goes by a script and is totally predictable. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Well thought out post!  I agree with most of it. Hopefully,  Danny is not trying to put patches on anything.  I hope his goal is to produce the best situation for this team not only this year,  but for years to come. If there is an opportunity to bet this team for the long term you have to do it. The status quo or patches will likely just end up resulting in a loss to the heat whenever they meet (as is c's should be able to beat everyone else in the EC). You cannot beat the heat playing small ball. The team needs av center and ideally another scorer. To me,  you acquire this talent by any means necessary even if you sacrifice chemistry and the ability to win it all this year. Make a big splash move and you can be set for years to come and have a punchers chance this year

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts