Sullinger is the real deal...!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Sullinger is the real deal...!

after watching this kid play 33 minutes and listening to the guys covering the game, can there be any doubt that the Celtics got the steal of the draft?.....this kid can rebound, handle the ball, shoot from the outside, and is a beast out there....the announcers (and the ESPN guys) just kept praising his game....skills, hustle, smarts......they were comparing him to a 10 year veteran....he is the real deal...

then we have Jeff Green showing his "Worthy-esque skills"....he can run, shoot the three, sky with the slam or the finger roll, and hit the free throws.....watch him develop as he grows confidence...

of course there is Rondo...doing his thing...which now includes hitting the "j" (also 2-2 on 3's).....skying for rebounds....again, the announcers said that if he keeps hitting his jumpers there is no doubt that he goes right to the top as far as point guards go...

and now Avery Bradley is coming back....the best defensive guard in the game.....this is going to be fun....today we saw a statement game from the Celtics....I don't know how far we will go this year (who would've ever thought we would take Miami deep into game 7 on the road..?)

I think this core is heads over heels above the Lakers' core.....what a great Christmas present...!  ...I have to admit I am loving what I saw today...!

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Sullinger is the real deal...!

Clips are not the best team in the league - yet. But they're plenty good for us. 

Sully is looking great Duke, I agree. Not sure about steal of the draft, but definitely looking like one of Ainge's best draft moves ever. Even Che will have to like this guy if he keeps playing this well. 

I'm not with you on Green, but I hope you're right. I just don't see him as a consistent player, but hey, if he can become that I'm all for it. When Green and Sully both play well we are a different team.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Whendex. Show Whendex's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Clips are not the best team in the league - yet. But they're plenty good for us. 

Sully is looking great Duke, I agree. Not sure about steal of the draft, but definitely looking like one of Ainge's best draft moves ever. Even Che will have to like this guy if he keeps playing this well. 

I'm not with you on Green, but I hope you're right. I just don't see him as a consistent player, but hey, if he can become that I'm all for it. When Green and Sully both play well we are a different team.

I disagree with you about Green.. The guy has GAME. Again I've said it over and over, He has overcame so much in life. Not just basketball im talking LIFE. Wonder how good he could've been if he didn't have to have the heart surgery ? 

I do agree with you about use being a different team when they're on the floor. These two are going to take us along way not just this year but hopefully years to come.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Even if we lose to the Clips, this is not going to be the Celtics team we will see after the trade deadline.

what about a december trade? didnt you say Lee or was it bass was available to be traded then?>that trade never happened.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

ugh!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

after watching this kid play 33 minutes and listening to the guys covering the game, can there be any doubt that the Celtics got the steal of the draft?.....this kid can rebound, handle the ball, shoot from the outside, and is a beast out there....the announcers (and the ESPN guys) just kept praising his game....skills, hustle, smarts......they were comparing him to a 10 year veteran....he is the real deal...

then we have Jeff Green showing his "Worthy-esque skills"....he can run, shoot the three, sky with the slam or the finger roll, and hit the free throws.....watch him develop as he grows confidence...

of course there is Rondo...doing his thing...which now includes hitting the "j" (also 2-2 on 3's).....skying for rebounds....again, the announcers said that if he keeps hitting his jumpers there is no doubt that he goes right to the top as far as point guards go...

and now Avery Bradley is coming back....the best defensive guard in the game.....this is going to be fun....today we saw a statement game from the Celtics....I don't know how far we will go this year (who would've ever thought we would take Miami deep into game 7 on the road..?)

I think this core is heads over heels above the Lakers' core.....what a great Christmas present...!  ...I have to admit I am loving what I saw today...!

Duke,  I have been preaching this for weeks.  I told you what would happen if he started getting 30 plus minutes a game.  Sure he will still have some stinkers but he is our most physical best rebounder on the team.  The more he plays the more the process is sped up for him and the C's.  He will be more comfortable.  I also said he is the steal of the draft.  Not saying he was the best player but the "steal".   Which means there are going to be a ton of teams wondering why they didn't draft this guy.  I also said if he was getting 30 plus minutes he would be in the running for rookie of the year.   I stand my statements earlier.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

from an overall standpoint, not sure how anyone is getting too hyped about beating a nets team that is barely above .500. and was 1-5 in their previous 6 games with deron williams calling out his team for their stagnant and selfish offensive play. that was a bad, disinterested team that showed up today and other than the little run they had they offered little in the way of resistance. the team's top three players all had terrible games. this is not an indication of what it's been like when the celts have faced off against the better teams in the league and there have been lots of very ugly performances.

in terms of sullinger - he obviously looked great. but those decrying his lack of playing time shiould look a little more closely at his game to game perfrormance. one, he has been drawing fouls like a machine. in short, it's not as if sullinger has been knocking them dead on a nightly basis - he has been very shaky game to game. a solid perfromance is often followed by one involving quick fouls, a turnover, bad positioning on defense, etc. with that said, he simply demands more time and they're going to have to grow with him. he is going to make mistakes and doc is not crazy about playing guys who make lots of mental errors (like most rookies do). 

green is thankfully seeming to finally get into the flow of the offense a little bit and the past two weeks have been significantly better for him personally, but this team has to continue working really hard to get him the ball, to run more, and to continue to acclimate him. for those getting excited about green and his "worthy-esque" talents (based on the fact that he has a similar ability to grip the ball and drive one handed) be advised that that is a severely premature comparison. no one with any familiarity with green had any questions about his ability to drive the ball or shoot threes so his abilities should come as no surprise. you watched him play 3 1/2 seasons in seattle/OKC, right? his skill set is not in question - his toughness; aggressiveness; assertiveness; and ability to play team d at a high level and generally blend with this team are. 

green so far is averaging 22.8 minutes per game; 9.8 pts and barely 3 (count em, 3) rebounds a game. at 8-9 million per something like 16/6 or 7 would be in line for a 6 "9" forward who they are counting on to score. this is not s shoutdown defender we're talking about; green is an offensive player and needs to provide offense. it is a no brainer that he needs more time on the court (both because his talent demands it; because of bass' poor play, etc.) and he is getting it, but he is not currently rebounding well enough at the 3 and absolutely would kill them on the boards at the 4. we'll see what happens with his output. you have to love the talent, but this guy has to get tougher and get more accomplished on a nightly basis. 

all of this is moot if a legit big man (and hopefully two) are not acquired. but AB getting healthy and green's play are two of the most important compments afetr that to the celts having any chance to make noise. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Whendex. Show Whendex's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Green was out for a year with open heart surgery.

Give him some time to work his way back in.

People just don't understand this. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Whendex. Show Whendex's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to 003323344's comment:

ugh!

One thing's for sure, Bass or Lee or both will be moved. It just won't make sense if the Celts keep both them.

So for now, let's just enjoy the ride.

We can only hope huh Fierce ? .. Bass is out there looks lost on defense. He's had enought time to figure out whats going on. But every possession ive watched looks like he's always a step or two behind. He needs to go and give more mins to sullinger.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

As usual, we find out how good a player is after Doc is forced to use him (Sully) because of injury (Wilcox)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I hope he continues to get 30 minutes a game.  I know he will make mistakes, but  he will continue to improve as well.  He doesn't need to be in trade discussions either at this point unless it brings a very talented player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from geneb81. Show geneb81's posts

In response to Duke4's comment: He certainly is. But the game changer (the best of the season) had to be Doc's instructions to the vets to get the ball to the new guys early and often. Instead of standing around like the necessary unwanted the ball went to Lee early and when th first line took a breather the new guys brought home an impressive win. Lee does a lot on the floor that doesn't show up in the stats. Paul really played with character; after keeping the offense moving in the first quarter he backed off and led the team in assists! Included was a nifty long bounce pass to Sully, who had sneaked under the boards. After the recent set of disappointing games, the Cs stayed strong in the end, with clutch shots from Lee, Bass, Green and Rondo plus team rebounding. Of course, Humphries didn't play, and he is the Nets' big intimidator. But he won't intimidate Sullinger, who plays tough and resilient- a solid defender.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

from an overall standpoint, not sure how anyone is getting too hyped about beating a nets team that is barely above .500. and was 1-5 in their previous 6 games with deron williams calling out his team for their stagnant and selfish offensive play. that was a bad, disinterested team that showed up today and other than the little run they had they offered little in the way of resistance. the team's top three players all had terrible games. this is not an indication of what it's been like when the celts have faced off against the better teams in the league and there have been lots of very ugly performances.

in terms of sullinger - he obviously looked great. but those decrying his lack of playing time shiould look a little more closely at his game to game perfrormance. one, he has been drawing fouls like a machine. in short, it's not as if sullinger has been knocking them dead on a nightly basis - he has been very shaky game to game. a solid perfromance is often followed by one involving quick fouls, a turnover, bad positioning on defense, etc. with that said, he simply demands more time and they're going to have to grow with him. he is going to make mistakes and doc is not crazy about playing guys who make lots of mental errors (like most rookies do). 

green is thankfully seeming to finally get into the flow of the offense a little bit and the past two weeks have been significantly better for him personally, but this team has to continue working really hard to get him the ball, to run more, and to continue to acclimate him. for those getting excited about green and his "worthy-esque" talents (based on the fact that he has a similar ability to grip the ball and drive one handed) be advised that that is a severely premature comparison. no one with any familiarity with green had any questions about his ability to drive the ball or shoot threes so his abilities should come as no surprise. you watched him play 3 1/2 seasons in seattle/OKC, right? his skill set is not in question - his toughness; aggressiveness; assertiveness; and ability to play team d at a high level and generally blend with this team are. 

green so far is averaging 22.8 minutes per game; 9.8 pts and barely 3 (count em, 3) rebounds a game. at 8-9 million per something like 16/6 or 7 would be in line for a 6 "9" forward who they are counting on to score. this is not s shoutdown defender we're talking about; green is an offensive player and needs to provide offense. it is a no brainer that he needs more time on the court (both because his talent demands it; because of bass' poor play, etc.) and he is getting it, but he is not currently rebounding well enough at the 3 and absolutely would kill them on the boards at the 4. we'll see what happens with his output. you have to love the talent, but this guy has to get tougher and get more accomplished on a nightly basis. 

all of this is moot if a legit big man (and hopefully two) are not acquired. but AB getting healthy and green's play are two of the most important compments afetr that to the celts having any chance to make noise. 

Rookies dont get calls and Sully has YET to even be given the ball in the post. He is basically being treated like a garbage man and you expect him to do what exactly when playing 20 min. or less with no touches?? I thought up until now, he has been a good soldier considering his position in college and the numbers he put up. He just hustles up and down the floor, rebounds, gets his put backs and  has come a long way in regards to defense and rotations. Cut the guy some slack. If they fed him the ball and gave him minutes, I have no doubt he could give 20 and 10 a night

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Rookies dont get calls and Sully has YET to even be given the ball in the post. He is basically being treated like a garbage man and you expect him to do what exactly when playing 20 min. or less with no touches?? I thought up until now, he has been a good soldier considering his position in college and the numbers he put up. He just hustles up and down the floor, rebounds, gets his put backs and  has come a long way in regards to defense and rotations. Cut the guy some slack. If they fed him the ball and gave him minutes, I have no doubt he could give 20 and 10 a night

love sullinger. think he's going to be a solid nba player. the fact that rookies can't get calls is part of the problem of being a rookie in the NBA and one of the things working against him - yiou're helping to make my point. your supposition that he can go out and score 20 points a game is based on what exactly? certainly not his offensive performance so far. you actually belive that his play on the offensive end of the court demands that he get the ball in the low post? he can't do anything with the ball when he gets it there. he's having trouble even getting contested shots off, let alone posessing the capability to lead a team in scoring. there are 10 players in the NBA averaging 20 points or more right now and i doubt anyone but you thinks he's capable of going out and averging 15 points a game right now, let alone 20. talk about unfair expectations. 

in terms of being a good solider... again, he's a rookie. what exactly do you think rookies do in the NBA? unless you're a can't miss prospect and/or go to a really bad team in a top three pick, very few rookies start (there's about 6 starting right now depending on the night and a few of these are because of injury) or even make significant contributions to their teams, so not sure your perception of rookies in the NBA is at all accurate. believe me, sullinger is happy to be getting the minutes he's getting right now. playing 17 minutes a night he leads the team in fouls. in terms of rookies he's at 1 or 2 in terms of rebounding per minute, which is great. he's also fouling at a rate that would have him fouling at out of every game if he was playing another 8-10 minutes a night. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Sully has been the real deal at every level he's competed, check out some of the articles from this past summer that discuss that and how his dad coached him up and his older brothers played him up throughout his life. Me and others were posting during summer league that Sully was going to make the rotation. Look, he's a baller, he's a high IQ NBA player, and he played a great game yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how he handles Blake Griffin tomorrow night; tough match up for anybody, will have to get Blake off his favorite spots on the block, I think Sully can do that, because he's done it before and he knows the game of basketball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

+1

Your analysis is on point.  Celtics have some very talented players that make them a team to be reckoned with come playoff time.  As chemistry continues to develop, each game brings greater cohesion and growing confidence in what each player brings to the team.  To echo some of your sentiments:  fellow OSU alum Sullinger has a future in the NBA; fellow Mississippian Varnado will turn some heads in the Association given an opportunity; AB is an impact defensive player and will allow the Celtics to re-establish the defensive presence to which we have become accustomed; JGreen is beginning to recapture and display some of the athleticism lost during his hiatus and recovery due to his heart surgery; and Rajon Rondo is, well, "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

love sullinger. think he's going to be a solid nba player. the fact that rookies can't get calls is part of the problem of being a rookie in the NBA and one of the things working against him - yiou're helping to make my point. your supposition that he can go out and score 20 points a game is based on what exactly? certainly not his offensive performance so far. you actually belive that his play on the offensive end of the court demands that he get the ball in the low post? he can't do anything with the ball when he gets it there. he's having trouble even getting contested shots off, let alone posessing the capability to lead a team in scoring. there are 10 players in the NBA averaging 20 points or more right now and i doubt anyone but you thinks he's capable of going out and averging 15 points a game right now, let alone 20. talk about unfair expectations. 

in terms of being a good solider... again, he's a rookie. what exactly do you think rookies do in the NBA? unless you're a can't miss prospect and/or go to a really bad team in a top three pick, very few rookies start (there's about 6 starting right now depending on the night and a few of these are because of injury) or even make significant contributions to their teams, so not sure your perception of rookies in the NBA is at all accurate. believe me, sullinger is happy to be getting the minutes he's getting right now. playing 17 minutes a night he leads the team in fouls. in terms of rookies he's at 1 or 2 in terms of rebounding per minute, which is great. he's also fouling at a rate that would have him fouling at out of every game if he was playing another 8-10 minutes a night. 

Ok, since Im a respectful person, We will have to agree to disagree but since you asked, I will tell how I see it. If Sully can get 16 pts in 30 plus minutes without any plays called for him, why is so hard to believe he could score 20 with touches?? I understand maybe saying he doesnt get the minutes to do it, but if you think he is incapable then you dont know Sully.  Most times he posts up he gets Ideal position on the low block(something not everyone can do....ahem K.G.) and they ignore him but the rare occasion they do and he looks to score, He DOES!  He was a post up assasin in college and if we can give the ball to baby in the post we sure as h3ll should w/sully because he is miles better offensively and he is only playing now cuz he can defend well enough for the most part but his strengh is offense and with touches he could absolutely get 20 n 10. maybe not every night but dude is legit and will make u eat your words, IMO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Good post, while  I agree with pretty much everything (especially reguarding jgreen)  I think its unfair  to judge sully a 20 year old rookie for inconsitency  He is after all a rookie. They are by definition inexperienced, which would obv lead to inconsitency. Reguarding his foul rate if you watch the games many of his fouls are very questionable hes clearly getting the rookie treatment out there. Hes not getting away with anything. While his scoring has been up and down, thats magnified on this team, where most players have to give up shots (see terry,jgreen, lee etc). His effort and particularly rebounding is something hes been very consitent with. Once the cs run a few post plays for him and he learns to get his shot up against nba length hell be a more consistent scorer as well. I think most gm's would agree that sully is one of the steals of this draft. To get a guy contributing right off the bat with a pick in the 20's is pretty rare. Especially on a vet team like this. 

Sections
Shortcuts