Sully A Lot Like Perk

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Sully A Lot Like Perk

Really makes sense to end the season with KG and Sully paired together to hold down the frontcourt. Bass is a good player, but what KG is getting at is that Sully brings a certain toughness and willing to grit out opponets with a mindset geared towards the little things on defense and a perseverance on offense.

Its like last year Doc was trying to massage that extra production out of Bass, but with Sully its what he naturally brings to the court. At this point in his career, KG needs that extra grittiness from the 4, that extra defensive help.

Pierce and Rondo can take up the offensive production slack on the starting line-up.

Bass can take advantage as a shooting 4 with a Darko/Wilcox/Collins off the bench. Plus, having played with the starting line-up so much last year, he can bring that Celtics continuity to the bench - which right now has too many faces new to Celtics defensive culture.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I say end of the season because it will be useless if Sully takes the perfect charge and continues to get called for the blocking foul simply because he is a rookie. But with enough games, that tide will turn. May just take 50 games...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I never saw Perk as a high IQ guy:-) love him tho.

Nice thing for KG to say, but Sully is probably a smarter player, def has better hands and already has better technique for getting after the boards, considering Perk was never more than an 8 rebound guy even when he became a CUT 285 lbs and was 1-2" taller than Sully.

I'd say they are similar in that by age 20 Perk was still soft and developing his NBA body like Sully. Had Perk gone to college for 2 years he would have been a lotto pick. Had Sully left for the NBA after his fresh year he would have gone top 5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Sully at this point has better hands and passing ability than Perk did.  But Perk new the system and was more solid defensively.  Both had vertical deficiencies but long arms.  Sully will have shots blocked more in the early part of his career but will find his spots to be effective.  If he can hit that midrange shot people say he has, that will give him something Perk will never have and that will frustrate defense's.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

High praise, indeed!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I think he was reffering to how sully knows where  to be, is a willing passer and screener. I think the comparison ends there tho. Perk and kg were one of the greatest pick and roll defensive duos in history. Thats why his loss hurt cuz kg lost his defensive soulmate in perk. They were perfect together and they both played with that edge.  The irony is the celtics always say their a defensive team first, yet they traded one of their best defenders for more offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I love the idea of Sully this young player with special skills  He is not going to ever spell KG under any circumstances however.  Keep talking him up and hope he plays well because the Celtics have to find help for KG and Sully is not that piece.  By the way he is more like 6-7 or 8 which makes him a good deal smaller than Perk. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to concord27's comment:

I love the idea of Sully this young player with special skills  He is not going to ever spell KG under any circumstances however.  Keep talking him up and hope he plays well because the Celtics have to find help for KG and Sully is not that piece.  By the way he is more like 6-7 or 8 which makes him a good deal smaller than Perk. 

Check it he is not 6-9 in draft reports, just under.  Still he will never spell KG. We need someone who can spell KG and play alongside him. Sully is a different animal.  I have a bad feeling about KG being relied on so heavily and see this team struggling all year without the addition of another big man of consequence.  Someone over 6-10, Gasol or Varajeo the the type of players we need.

Sully on a bad team could score 15 to 20 and get 8 to 10 rebounds.  It won't be on this team.

The team has depth and talent but we have and old great big man and very little else.  Wilcox as you have mentioned could be a alternative but watching him recently says he will not be a guy to play big minutes. The Celtics against a team of big players will struggle.  By the way I would add Noah to the list of big men to go out and try and get.

Actual measurements at the combine says Sully is 6-9.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jared-Sullinger-5029/

Brandon Bass is the one who's only 6-7.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Bass-53/

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Sully is more like BBD to me.  Can't get off the floor.  Gets shot blacked by bigger people.  Big strong guy but not very tall.  Learned how to play big man position even without the ability to jump and gets the dirty work done inside despite his lack of height.   Just a hustling bull inside.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

Check it he is not 6-9 in draft reports, just under.  Still he will never spell KG. We need someone who can spell KG and play alongside him. Sully is a different animal.  I have a bad feeling about KG being relied on so heavily and see this team struggling all year without the addition of another big man of consequence.  Someone over 6-10, Gasol or Varajeo the the type of players we need.

Sully on a bad team could score 15 to 20 and get 8 to 10 rebounds.  It won't be on this team.

The team has depth and talent but we have and old great big man and very little else.  Wilcox as you have mentioned could be a alternative but watching him recently says he will not be a guy to play big minutes. The Celtics against a team of big players will struggle.  By the way I would add Noah to the list of big men to go out and try and get.

Actual measurements at the combine says Sully is 6-9.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jared-Sullinger-5029/

Brandon Bass is the one who's only 6-7.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Bass-53/

Agree as always concord, regardless of if Sully is the next Randolph, Brand, Millsap or Boozer I would still trade him for Varejao in a heartbeat to try and win a title this year or next.

This is not like giving up on Billups or Joe johnson... as others have said... it would be more like giving up on Reggie Lewis in the '87-'88 season to get that ONE veteran 30ish energy glue guy needed to push us past the Pistons for one last stand w/ the 80's big 3.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

And what with all this 'in shoes' garbage?

I am just under 6'2".... so in the NBA world I am actually 6'3" b/c thats how tall I am with shoes on?

And I always felt guilty saying 6'2" when its really 6'1 and 3/4"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

I am just under 6'2".... so in the NBA world I am actually 6'3" b/c thats how tall I am with shoes on?

Then just say that you're 1,88 m and feel yourself innocent! xD

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Fields4's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

haha, yeah America never got around to that metric system thing.. I always liked it, made more sense, oh well.

Then just say that you're 1,88 m and feel yourself innocent! xD

Sections
Shortcuts