Summer league observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Summer league observations

Yes, it's Summer League and one game, but;

-KO reminds me of a young Dirk, offensively and defensively

-Fab may be able to carve out a Jason Collins type career

-Pressey does not impress. His chance to land on the roster may be tied to Lee or Rondo still on the team or not, but I prefer more size and defense from the back up PG. 

-I can see Iverson sticking with Iverson and Fab being 2/3, but I still don't see a 

Legit C on the roster. 

-I like KO starting from day 1. Can he and Sully be on the floor as the 4 and 3 with Green and Rondo at the 2 and 1? Can KO or Sully defend a 3?

-I am anxious to see Coach's substitute pattern in preseason. Will he sub in the 2nd unit like Doc did? Lee, Bradley, Bass, Iverson/Fab if they are all still here would be a nice energy group and defend like crazy, but would they ever score? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: Summer league observations

I we run ko and sully together, that's a lot of shooting out of the bigs.  Lots of empty space for rondo to drive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

more likely KO and sullinger at the 5&4 (in some odrer, depending on matchups).

Green is a 3 NOT a 2 (he's probably played more 4 than 3 over his NBA career to date).

IF rondo is not moved, that leave the 2 spot

which right now we have many options

Bradley

Lee

Brooks

Crawford

obviously one have to moved for a BU Point

KO and Obadipo played like NBA players playing against D'leaguers yesterday

Mitchell played well on BOTH ends of the court

Pressey settled down after a BAD start and ran the team most of the game.

Iverson slightly outplayed Melo and seems to have a better fell for the game. I doubt he's much more than an end of bencher in the NBA ever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

It doesn't look like we are going to be players in FA so I think eventually we get to a lineup of

Rondo (if not move)

AB

JG

Sully

Olynk

6th man - Wallace

Bench - Brooks, Bass, Lee and Iverson

Sully and Olynk are going to be a great tandem because both have a good feel and IQ for the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I like the nickname the Big KO. The boy can score and shoot, he doesn't rush his shots or moves the game is very slow in his head offensively and thats good. His D,he ain't going to be a shut defender but he is smart and he seems to know how to hids his weaknesses onD . Melo ,well he has a soft shot but his hands are horrible and he is just slow reacting to a lot of things. Melo has the body of an NBA big but he really has to learn the game much much better,it shows this is his 4th 5th year playing bball he looks like a H.S player out there. Iverson has good instincts and can rebound in a crowd but has no offensive game but with a few imporovements in a couple of things could stick on rebounding and D alone. Pressey 50/50,he has the quicks and penetrating skills but some really bad and off the mark passes but those are things you can improve on, I'll see how he does the whole touney. The Wilson kid showed me some things,great first step,some nice range and could gaurd the 3 spot, he maybe up and down on the roster. Other than that mostly Euro leaguers and D leaguers. Orlando did play a bunch of second year players and their #2 pick Olidupo who looked like he might have an impact right away. So overall I thought we might have 3-4 guys making it to camp. It tough to make a choice on just one game but those are the 4 I'll be watching the closest.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Yes, Olynyk does look like Bird on offense.

He is not the defender and rebounder Bird was, however.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

[QUOTE]

I like the nickname the Big KO. The boy can score and shoot, he doesn't rush his shots or moves the game is very slow in his head offensively and thats good. His D,he ain't going to be a shut defender but he is smart and he seems to know how to hids his weaknesses onD . Melo ,well he has a soft shot but his hands are horrible and he is just slow reacting to a lot of things. Melo has the body of an NBA big but he really has to learn the game much much better,it shows this is his 4th 5th year playing bball he looks like a H.S player out there. Iverson has good instincts and can rebound in a crowd but has no offensive game but with a few imporovements in a couple of things could stick on rebounding and D alone. Pressey 50/50,he has the quicks and penetrating skills but some really bad and off the mark passes but those are things you can improve on, I'll see how he does the whole touney. The Wilson kid showed me some things,great first step,some nice range and could gaurd the 3 spot, he maybe up and down on the roster. Other than that mostly Euro leaguers and D leaguers. Orlando did play a bunch of second year players and their #2 pick Olidupo who looked like he might have an impact right away. So overall I thought we might have 3-4 guys making it to camp. It tough to make a choice on just one game but those are the 4 I'll be watching the closest.  

It's early..... But I see some % of a slow/can't jump guy named LARRY LEGEND in him !!!!!!     Just saying !!!

[/QUOTE]

Who is Wilson?  Do you mean Mitchell?  I mostly agree but I'm more critical of Pressey - I'd go 30/70 to the negative.  Exactly like the scouting reports, begins fine as a facilitator (not outstanding) but wants to be "the man" and gets away from his game.  He had one good drive, but he's not outstanding in any department.  Needs good coaching and a new way of seeing himself and the game.  Mitchell was solid and effective, and aside from two ill-advised threes, he played under control and with confidence.  Should get to camp.  No other "unknowns" stood out except that Johnson-Odum was awful.  Fells and Granger were just okay, Abromaitis gave me an uneasy feeling of déjà vu - Harangody without the weird shot - he hustled but is too small for his position and not good enough for the NBA.  Big pluses: OK was much more than good, may have been the best player on the floor, including Oladipo who was easily better than anyone trying to guard him.  Iverson's D was strong and the block, as the secondary defender, was remarkable.  The ball was six feet out of the shooter's hand!  Melo. Poor Melo. He was terrible - his shots were blocked or he missed 1-footers, never boxed out and allowed smaller players easy put backs.  He seemed slow to react on both ends, couldn't cleanly catch the ball or hold onto it, even with two hands.  But the box out matter is the worst.  He's never going to be an offensive force, but his defense is horrid - a stand still, lumbering, unaware center with no discernible skills.  I would have expected more after a year with KG barking at him.  He hasn't played that long, I get it, but even Sullinger was on him to box out and Melo appeared to be making excuses - not a good sign.  Boxing out is not that hard, epsecially if defense is supposed to be his forte.  Had no awareness of what was happening around him.  I feel bad for the guy - as above, an NBA body but .....

KO, CI, TM, and probably Melo (unless they release him) go to camp.  The rest will have Celtics jerseys (Ugh! T-shirts?), the experience, and memories of playing with and against real NBA players.  The only other possible addition might be Smith, if he plays well enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

KO will be a great PF.  That makes Sullinger tradable!  Sullinger has trade value.  The Celts need a true Center who can protect the paint.  Melo isn't good enough except if Danny tells the coach to tank big time and give Melo minutes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Mitchel right thats the guy. The Bird stuff is a little of a reach but hey Larry had many of the same analysis after his first games,who knows ? His best assett does seem to be the game isn't too fast for him mentally. He has the smarts and enough physical skills to be a decent team defense player. I noticed in the block vs a guy that played 10 minutes a game last year,he doesn't use his hands to absorb people banging into him, he sets his feet wide which usually is a bad thing for smaller players but it does help balance his lack of foot quickness and he doesn't fall for the same move twice. There are two big attributes that leads me to think he will be as good as he can be in the NBA, first he took a year off in his junior year in college and didn't just work on his game he vastly improved it and he seems to want be the best KO that he can be and not the next "Bird" or "KG" which is a trap that some young players fall into.
    Pressey is a long shot, but you have to watch PGs a few times to get a better read on their abilities, I saw some things that were better than advertised but I also saw some glaring definceincies too. I will  reserve judgement on him until I see him a few games/scrimmages.

Melo,if there was ever a player that would be better off if we could've drafted him and let him playout his NCAA eligability it would be him. Melo has the body and raw skills to be an NBA big BUT, his lack of bball experience and natural bball instincts may take too long to develop for him to be a feature for us. Too bad we couldn't transplant Iverson head onto Melos body we'd have a real keeper. Iverson may always be a role player in the NBA but i could see him be in the league for a few years he has strong hands,good instincts and plays in his game.

Mitchell, is the guy that was most interesting to me, I saw some things that wowed me and thought he could be one of those under the radar guys like Harkless was for Orl last year. That was the first time I saw him so who knows. I know one thing though after watching Olynik for the first time I feel better at him being drafted by us now than when I just his highlites. It is just the summer scrimmages but I liked what I saw for the most part,would've been nice to see J Crawford and/or T Will get an invite and some PT.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

KO really impressed me with his vast array of ways to score . He did it from the post, mid range, 3pt range and also took it to the rim. He seemed very comfortable handling the ball in the the high post.

I also like his attitude, he doesnt mind mixing it up, he was banging down low and setting good screens.

Defensively he seemed to hold his own down low, but stuggled covering out on the perimeter.  This leads me to believe he should play more center than pf. I dont think he can  stay with the quick 4's of the  league.  Most likely he'll play both spots depending on matchups.

Overall a very encouraging start. With that said I cant believe Ive seen larry bird  and dirk comparisons already. Thats just insane.  He seems to be more of a bargnani/kaaman type which would still be a very good result for a 13th pick.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

......It is just the summer scrimmages but I liked what I saw for the most part,would've been nice to see J Crawford and/or T Will get an invite and some PT.

The less I see of Crawford the better, and didn't the Celtics already void Williams' contract and drop him?  

Crawford is just another marginal player and an undependable shooting guard.  I think Brooks makes him expendable, or at least I hope Brooks makes him expendable.  Crawford is a "me-first" guy with little to back up his swagger. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

We dropped T Will to not gaurantee his contract,I am unware if we couldn't offer him a non gauranteed invite/contract to play in Orlando. You're probably right about Crawford, he shows just enough to make you think, what if or if only, though. In a perfect world Crawford will have an epiphany this off season and realize his biggest detrements are his attitude and willingness to work and learn. There is a fine line between playing the best you can and trying to be something you're not and he does seem to cross that line too much

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Let's not get too carried away here. It's only one game. But that being said......

KO reminded me of Sullinger last year. Smart/crafty offensively. Olynyk has GREAT range for a guy that size, can put it on the floor, has a great array of post moves, and is comfortable with all of his moves. These two on the floor with a small-ball line-up along with Rondo could be great in terms of floor spacing and overall basketball IQ. I need to see him take the left-handed shot over his right shoulder, but I felt really comfortable with KO's offensive abilities. Think he can make an impact day 1.

Defensively though.....he needs some work. Couldn't hold his ground the majority of the time against O'Quinn and Nicholson. O'Quinn has a wider frame and had an easy time moving KO around. Olynyk is taller than both guys and I think after a full NBA season with the off-season program mixed in he can get better.

I'm not nearly as low as others on Pressey. A lot of his TO's were because he was expecting someone to cut a certain way and he didn't cut that way. That will clean up over time. He has a good jumper. I've seen a lot of him at Mizzou. He's undersized, sure. He won't be a star, but he's probably the best option Boston has right now at back-up PG. I love how he was full-court pressing the entire way. He has enough speed to be a pest.

Iverson and Melo showed flashes of good things. I like Melo more than most people do. He fumbled a couple of passes that were easy put-ins. Danny knew he drafted a project. He's probably going to spend another year in the d-league, but the potential is there. Iverson looks like he could be a Shav clone. Hard-working big that turns into an energy guy. He can stretch the floor really well.

Still have my eye on DJO and Tony Mitchell. Mitchell performed well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

I think KO will give 4's fits defensively (his height and shooting) but he may be better off defending 5's since many 4's may be too quick. I think Iverson has the potential to be valuable. It would be nice to have a brick wall waiting in the middle for the other team's players who have slipped past their defender!

Best of all is the fact that if guys make the team, our new coach will actually give them the chance to see if they can play!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I saw almost all the games yesterday. KO was the best man on the floor all day..To have a 7 footer playing forward, thas a +..I think Ainge mentioned that KO was going to sometimes play center..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to painter's comment:

......It is just the summer scrimmages but I liked what I saw for the most part,would've been nice to see J Crawford and/or T Will get an invite and some PT.

The less I see of Crawford the better, and didn't the Celtics already void Williams' contract and drop him?  

Crawford is just another marginal player and an undependable shooting guard.  I think Brooks makes him expendable, or at least I hope Brooks makes him expendable.  Crawford is a "me-first" guy with little to back up his swagger. 

boy I agree 100% on Crawford!!

good thing is this is the last year of his deal, so maybe Ainge can send him to team for a BU point guard!!

ANYONE!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I liked Melo and KO together.

I thought they complimented each other....like Parrish and Bird.

Sections
Shortcuts