Summer review

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Summer review

Yea, like forum (ers) have been waiting for me to post which I haven't since before the draft.
       Da draft: Sullinger was prob the best player avail for we who don't work out players.   Has good b-ball IQ.   Could they have moved up for Nicholson?  Sully will have a hard time getting off his shot (Nicholson is longer).   If he struggles w/ his jumper he'll prob struggle.   I'm glad they didn't sell the boat to move up for young Rivers.... Melo?   You can't teach size.   And has some young quickness.   But, his game will b how smart is he?   Is he just gonna be a big man journyman thru his career?   vs  ?  Taylor of Vandy.   Taylors upside is he does well w/ the open jumper and he has size to cover sf's.   Peitrus is getting older (was not good at all w/ his jumper... was he injured?) tho played good D.   Taylor woulda been cheaper.   Taylor supposedly did well w/ his athletic testing but I didn't notice him to be exeptionally quick in the summer league (maybe he just doesn't have a quick leap a, la Avery Bradley).   Taylor doesn't seem more athletic than: GHenderson, GWallace, what's that players name from mich st who played for Lakers, Cavs- now he's athletic.   Even JG coulda been expendable.   So, we'll follow Taylor v Melo.
       I liked JJJ in college, but if I had seen him w/o against other players in predraft events I easily woulda picked the kid out of Providence.   I still suspect DA's drafting ability.   To be a winner, you can't be average (@ drafting - talent evaluator) and DA seems to be average in drafting out of college.
       Now, one of my favorite topics:   did anyone see the Cs play summer league game against da Bulls?   Cs were smoking them.   20+ pt lead.   Then da Bulls put in an interesting player...my friend Leon Powe!   The game then turned.   da Bulls started kickn the C's bottom and came back.   Bulls then called off the dog (LP) and the Cs won the game.   Sullinger doesn't have anything for LP.   Well, I shouldn't say that.   JS is similar in size so he wouldn't mind the matchup in reg season.   But, LP can do his thing against bigger players.   He still has his quick 2nd and 3rd jump making him effective in the post.   If I was GM I'd pick up LP in a heartbeat (I think da Bull will).   Their must be a personal problem between LP, DA, and/or Doc.   It sure ain't a basketball issue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Summer review

In Response to Summer review:
    [QUOTE]   Yea, like forum (ers) have been waiting for me to post which I haven't since before the draft.    Da draft: Sullinger was prob the best player avail for we who don't work out players.   Has good b-ball IQ.   Could they have moved up for Nicholson?  Sully will have a hard time getting off his shot (Nicholson is longer).   If he struggles w/ his jumper he'll prob struggle.   I'm glad they didn't sell the boat to move up for young Rivers.... Melo?   You can't teach size.   And has some young quickness.   But, his game will b how smart is he?   Is he just gonna be a big man journyman thru his career?   vs  ?  Taylor of Vandy.   Taylors upside is he does well w/ the open jumper and he has size to cover sf's.   Peitrus is getting older (was not good at all w/ his jumper... was he injured?) tho played good D.   Taylor woulda been cheaper.   Taylor supposedly did well w/ his athletic testing but I didn't notice him to be exeptionally quick in the summer league (maybe he just doesn't have a quick leap a, la Avery Bradley).   Taylor doesn't seem more athletic than: GHenderson, GWallace, what's that players name from mich st who played for Lakers, Cavs- now he's athletic.   Even JG coulda been expendable.   So, we'll follow Taylor v Melo.    I liked JJJ in college, but if I had seen him w/o against other players in predraft events I easily woulda picked the kid out of Providence.   I still suspect DA's drafting ability.   To be a winner, you can't be average (@ drafting - talent evaluator) and DA seems to be average in drafting out of college.    Now, one of my favorite topics:   did anyone see the Cs play summer league game against da Bulls?   Cs were smoking them.   20+ pt lead.   Then da Bulls put in an interesting player...my friend Leon Powe!   The game then turned.   da Bulls started kickn the C's bottom and came back.   Bulls then called off the dog (LP) and the Cs won the game.   Sullinger doesn't have anything for LP.   Well, I shouldn't say that.   JS is similar in size so he wouldn't mind the matchup in reg season.   But, LP can do his thing against bigger players.   He still has his quick 2nd and 3rd jump making him effective in the post.   If I was GM I'd pick up LP in a heartbeat (I think da Bull will).   Their must be a personal problem between LP, DA, and/or Doc.   It sure ain't a basketball issue.
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]

Real personal.

DA dumped Leon after 2008-9 season because LP got hurt in the PO's.

Cold, Danny, cold!

Management's decision made a total lie out of DA//UBUNTU... and reverberates to this very day with Ray Allen leaving under UGLY circumstances, dumping the Cs instead of waiting politely to be dumped on.

Bad karma.  What goes around comes around.

Stay tuned for the next episode.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

I liked Leon as much as anyone but the Celtics didn't owe him a new multi million dollar contract to stay when he clearly has career debilitating knee injuries. Leon is a great guy and a great story but it was the Celtics right to not resign him. And to add..... It isn't just us. Outside of a few cups of coffee with teams he has been out of the league. It's too bad but Danny did nothing wrong in guaranteeing him money with no knees

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Summer review:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Summer review : Real personal. DA dumped Leon after 2008-9 season because LP got hurt in the PO's. Cold, Danny, cold! Management's decision made a total lie out of DA//UBUNTU... and reverberates to this very day with Ray Allen leaving under UGLY circumstances, dumping the Cs instead of waiting politely to be dumped on. Bad karma.  What goes around comes around. Stay tuned for the next episode. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  Leon Powe getting dumped in 09 has something to do with Ray Allen leaving in 12.  Another great post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It should also say something when a guy who played for a championship team 5 years ago is playing in the summer league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Leon as much as anyone but the Celtics didn't owe him a new multi million dollar contract to stay when he clearly has career debilitating knee injuries. Leon is a great guy and a great story but it was the Celtics right to not resign him. And to add..... It isn't just us. Outside of a few cups of coffee with teams he has been out of the league. It's too bad but Danny did nothing wrong in guaranteeing him money with no knees
    Posted by Rebels345209[/QUOTE]

DA dumped Leon after Doc had promised him a spot on the roster... publically... on the spot... as the PO's continued.

Doc should have publicly apologized for misstating Celtic intentions and then threatened to resign if DA didn't back him.

Just because Danny "did nothing wrong" ...   doesn't mean that he did anything  for which he should feel proud.

Karma's a b!tch.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : DA dumped Leon after Doc had promised him a spot on the roster... publically... on the spot... as the PO's continued. Doc should have publicly apologized for misstating Celtic intentions and then threatened to resign if DA didn't back him. Just because Danny "did nothing wrong" ...   doesn't mean that he did anything  for which he should feel proud. Karma's a b!tch. Pud

Dude you have no idea of what conversations were held between Powe and Rivers and Ainge.

None.  You are embarrassing yourself.

Here is an article from last year on how Powe wanted to come back to Boston.  there are no hard feelings on his part.  He just wants a job.  The Celtics don't want him back because he isn't good enough.  Wake up.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Anybody around here ever hear of team chemistry?   Cs w/ LP and BB had great chemistry.   They complimented each other 15' in.   Together difficult to block out.   Cs haven't had a player who could play w/ his back to the basket since LP let go.   They're haven't been close to having off the bench rebounding since the combo was split.   In fact, the Cs have been consistently one of the worst rebounding teams since LP teaming w/ BB was split.   Is DA trying to get it back w/ Sull and Bass?   Maybe, but it's now the Boston2 and 3 - 4 yrs older.
       Just cause LP hasn't made it w/ any other team means nothing.   Cs won a 'ship' w/ LP and their bench hasn't been the same since.   Cavs bottom feeders and LP wasn't needed in Grizz land as he and Zach Randolph play the same position (of course ZR is better).
       One more thing.   DeJaun Blair has 'no knees' either.   But, I guess there was a reason the Spurs won ? 3 ships w/o the Admiral.   Knowing how to aquire and keep good players.   DA has too much false ego.    That's why Robert Horry refused to play for him.   W/o Doc, DA prob wouldn't even sniff most of these older players

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In Response to Summer review:
    [QUOTE]   Yea, like forum (ers) have been waiting for me to post which I haven't since before the draft.    Da draft: Sullinger was prob the best player avail for we who don't work out players.   Has good b-ball IQ.   Could they have moved up for Nicholson?  Sully will have a hard time getting off his shot (Nicholson is longer).   If he struggles w/ his jumper he'll prob struggle.   I'm glad they didn't sell the boat to move up for young Rivers.... Melo?   You can't teach size.   And has some young quickness.   But, his game will b how smart is he?   Is he just gonna be a big man journyman thru his career?   vs  ?  Taylor of Vandy.   Taylors upside is he does well w/ the open jumper and he has size to cover sf's.   Peitrus is getting older (was not good at all w/ his jumper... was he injured?) tho played good D.   Taylor woulda been cheaper.   Taylor supposedly did well w/ his athletic testing but I didn't notice him to be exeptionally quick in the summer league (maybe he just doesn't have a quick leap a, la Avery Bradley).   Taylor doesn't seem more athletic than: GHenderson, GWallace, what's that players name from mich st who played for Lakers, Cavs- now he's athletic.   Even JG coulda been expendable.   So, we'll follow Taylor v Melo.    I liked JJJ in college, but if I had seen him w/o against other players in predraft events I easily woulda picked the kid out of Providence.   I still suspect DA's drafting ability.   To be a winner, you can't be average (@ drafting - talent evaluator) and DA seems to be average in drafting out of college.    Now, one of my favorite topics:   did anyone see the Cs play summer league game against da Bulls?   Cs were smoking them.   20+ pt lead.   Then da Bulls put in an interesting player...my friend Leon Powe!   The game then turned.   da Bulls started kickn the C's bottom and came back.   Bulls then called off the dog (LP) and the Cs won the game.   Sullinger doesn't have anything for LP.   Well, I shouldn't say that.   JS is similar in size so he wouldn't mind the matchup in reg season.   But, LP can do his thing against bigger players.   He still has his quick 2nd and 3rd jump making him effective in the post.   If I was GM I'd pick up LP in a heartbeat (I think da Bull will).   Their must be a personal problem between LP, DA, and/or Doc.   It sure ain't a basketball issue.
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]

He also has a few years of experience on Sully...LP went through some ups and downs as well..and has taken advantage of some good coaching...Sully has much more upside and will be a better player than LP..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : Yeah.  Leon Powe getting dumped in 09 has something to do with Ray Allen leaving in 12.  Another great post.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

It does if you hate Da and Doc...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nutter44. Show nutter44's posts

Powe was a great Celtic in his day, but hey, this league is brutal when your legs give out. Ask Cedric Maxwell. His knee went bad and he helped us..by getting traded for Bill Walton. He never did anything for Clippers or Rockets. Just a great locker room veteran. We will always  love Max, and we love LP too, but..this is the league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If there is one thing that Ray Allen did NOT take into account during his decision, it was Leon Powe. 

Powe was widely reported to be coming to Boston in 2011 and likely would have if Murphy hadn't come instead: 

"the Celtics are reportedly the front-runners for Leon Powe, who spent three seasons in Boston from 2006-09."

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/report-troy-murphy-could-be-staying-wtih-warriors-not-joining-celtics.html

Admittedly Powe would have been the better signing, but clearly Karma was not such a beast for the Celts that Powe didn't want to come back. 

On to the next belly-aching pseudo-conspiracy theory....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : It does if you hate Da and Doc...
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

Hate DA... check.

Hate Doc.... check.

I even hated the "Celtics are more than a team, Celtics are a way of life" philosophy that Red articulated and espoused beginning in the '60.

Anybody noticed that Red is rolling over in his grave nowadays as the wheels unceremoniously come off of UBUNTU. I wonder why.

Would Red have found a spot for Leon, the ultimate lunch pail player who personified Celtic basketball and made us all proud, giving everything he had for the team?

You bet you azz he would have.

But then again what did Red know? Besides he died... along with his silly notion that the proud Celtics tradition transcends sports... that Celtics are family.

Yea... right! Now we hear that CPP may be testing the FA market after this year. 

Maybe the captain is having 2nd thoughts about UBUNTU.

It's about time!

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : Hate DA... check. Hate Doc.... check. I even hated the "Celtics are more than a team, Celtics are a way of life" philosophy that Red articulated and espoused beginning in the '60. Anybody noticed that Red is rolling over in his grave nowadays as the wheels unceremoniously come off of UBUNTU. I wonder why. Would Red have found a spot for Leon, the ultimate lunch pail player who personified Celtic basketball and made us all proud, giving everything he had for the team? You bet you azz he would have. But then again what did Red know? Besides he died... along with his silly notion that the proud Celtics tradition transcends sports... that Celtics are family. Yea... right! Now we hear that CPP may be testing the FA market after this year.  Maybe the captain is having 2nd thoughts about UBUNTU. It's about time! Pud

Here is some news for you.  Every player in the NBA that is not signed to a contract may be testing the free agent market.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : Here is some news for you.  Every player in the NBA that is not signed to a contract may be testing the free agent market.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Nice response Snake.  You seem to get right to the point quick.  People don't seem to understand when someone is being interviewed, all the questions that are being asked,  some times they may answer without thinking, or it may not come out right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Summer review : Nice response Snake.  You seem to get right to the point quick.  People don't seem to understand when someone is being interviewed, all the questions that are being asked,  some times they may answer without thinking, or it may not come out right.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Who would say" No, no matter what contract I am offered I am staying with the Celtics."

I don't think he is going anywhere but there isn't anything wrong with trying to leverage for more money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Back to the original post about Sully and Melo and Leon before it became all about the latter as an entre for Pud to highjack the thread into negatives about Doc and Danny. Sully, I think will be very good if not border line great in the NBA. Like Baby he's strong but undersized by an inch or two but that is made up for by his long wingspan which Baby lacks.  Like Baby he can move his feat with agility for a big strong guy. But what he's really got, that very few big players have, is an array of shots and moves, and that will make him very good/great in the NBA. He's also very good at using leverage to get his defender off balance. He also has very good B-ball IQ. He is NBA ready and will be better than Baby and Leon combined out of the gate. Melo will take time to earn big minutes for Doc until he can learn the big man showing/switching/help defense the Celts use. He should end up as a good to very good defensive NBA center, much better than Stiemer (who I like) but that will take a year or two. Now, how he develops on offense is anybody's guess, given his lack of b-ball experience. But it looks like he has a decent foul line extended jumper which is a good start for a big since that's almost always an open look. What he'll develop in the pivote will be gravy and based on the little I've seen of his game I can't predict. He says he'll try to learn Hakeem's moves (good luck with that) but I would reccomend studying one Kevin McHale who's body type he shares and was one of the true masters of the low post.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]Back to the original post about Sully and Melo and Leon before it became all about the latter as an entre for Pud to highjack the thread into negatives about Doc and Danny. Sully, I think will be very good if not border line great in the NBA. Like Baby he's strong but undersized by an inch or two but that is made up for by his long wingspan which Baby lacks.  Like Baby he can move his feat with agility for a big strong guy. But what he's really got, that very few big players have, is an array of shots and moves, and that will make him very good/great in the NBA. He's also very good at using leverage to get his defender off balance. He also has very good B-ball IQ. He is NBA ready and will be better than Baby and Leon combined out of the gate. Melo will take time to earn big minutes for Doc until he can learn the big man showing/switching/help defense the Celts use. He should end up as a good to very good defensive NBA center, much better than Stiemer (who I like) but that will take a year or two. Now, how he develops on offense is anybody's guess, given his lack of b-ball experience. But it looks like he has a decent foul line extended jumper which is a good start for a big since that's almost always an open look. What he'll develop in the pivote will be gravy and based on the little I've seen of his game I can't predict. He says he'll try to learn Hakeem's moves (good luck with that) but I would reccomend studying one Kevin McHale who's body type he shares and was one of the true masters of the low post.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

+

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Dear OP: Powe can't play anymore. He's done. He made a great contribution to our title run but his knees gave out after. It happens. The fact he is excelling in summer league games means nothing, except that he has now sunk to the point that he has to play in the summer to ensure his roster spot. I'm rooting for Leon but summer games do not reveal impact. However if you play horrible in the summer league that is not a good sign.

"Could they have moved up for Nicholson?"

Umm, no. 

Not without sellling the farm. I don't think you sell the farm for Nicholson. 

In the NBA you have to get in the top eight or so to sell the farm, I'm sure Ainge tried but he didn't have the chips. 

Sully was a good roll of the dice. 

Sections
Shortcuts