Summer trades.. I just don't get it!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

Summer trades.. I just don't get it!

I still can't wrap my brain around what has happened to the Celts this summer.

First Doc.. he goes to the west coast a helluva comute! Whose decision was that DA or DR?
    What were the real terms?  a lowly draft pick?
    I don't mind so much as I felt that the marriage was over for sure..as much as I respect DR.
    but how did that happen?

Pierce..Was it his decision or was DA not willing to sign him? What a loss, the team captain and hopefully a career Celt shuffled off to NY for who? and for how long and for how much?? ?? Did Paul want to go and what were the negotiations like? What kind of contract and for how long? Did Paul want to leave??

Kevin..Was it his decision or .. (must have been as he had a no trade clause. ) KG had a serious loyality to CPP and might have been pressured to leave with him. For how long and for how much??

PP and KG didn't really affect our draft pics and essentially we got nothing for PP,KG,JT and White when compared with their value to the Celtics. Yes, those players acquired weren't bad Wallace and Humphries  are really good players but Paul and KG were so valuable to the Celtics especially in light of DRs'departure!!
    Future first round draft picks from the Nets are probably useless as they are probably going to get #30.

The Celtics had a chance to build a dominating team if they would have just spent some of that (top of the revenue heap) bean town $$. It took an owner from another country to recoginize that $$ wins championships, something that our ownership doesn't understand. With some over the cap help, PP,KG,RR,JG,AB,JT,KO BP, JS and others along with some high$ free agents could have been a springboard to a Celtic Dynasty. As it stands unless PP and KG come back next year it looks like a long rebuild! We have a good team going forward but probably not close to the ECF for 4-6 years.

I really respect PP and KG and their decision and would hope they both will come back to retire..KG here or to MN or both....his choice. PP is a Celtic Legend IMO!

I truly expect the Nets to knock off  the Heat this year! GO PAUL AND KEVIN!

Gary

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Summer trades.. I just don't get it!

Woah not sure what this is all about, but one thing I do agree with:

PP is a Celtic Legend 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to heirplain's comment:

I still can't wrap my brain around what has happened to the Celts this summer.   First Doc.. he goes to the west coast a helluva comute! Whose decision was that DA or DR? What were the real terms?  a lowly draft pick? I don't mind so much as I felt that the marriage was over for sure..as much as I respect DR. but how did that happen?   Pierce..Was it his decision or was DA not willing to sign him? What a loss, the team captain and hopefully a career Celt shuffled off to NY for who? and for how long and for how much?? ?? Did Paul want to go and what were the negotiations like? What kind of contract and for how long? Did Paul want to leave??   Kevin..Was it his decision or .. (must have been as he had a no trade clause. ) KG had a serious loyality to CPP and might have been pressured to leave with him. For how long and for how much??   PP and KG didn't really affect our draft pics and essentially we got nothing for PP,KG,JT and White when compared with their value to the Celtics. Yes, those players acquired weren't bad Wallace and Humphries  are really good players but Paul and KG were so valuable to the Celtics especially in light of DRs'departure!! Future first round draft picks from the Nets are probably useless as they are probably going to get #30.   The Celtics had a chance to build a dominating team if they would have just spent some of that (top of the revenue heap) bean town $$. It took an owner from another country to recoginize that $$ wins championships, something that our ownership doesn't understand. With some over the cap help, PP,KG,RR,JG,AB,JT,KO BP, JS and others along with some high$ free agents could have been a springboard to a Celtic Dynasty. As it stands unless PP and KG come back next year it looks like a long rebuild! We have a good team going forward but probably not close to the ECF for 4-6 years.   I really respect PP and KG and their decision and would hope they both will come back to retire..KG here or to MN or both....his choice. PP is a Celtic Legend IMO!   I truly expect the Nets to knock off  the Heat this year! GO PAUL AND KEVIN!   Gary

KG and PP didi wonders to the celtics,but you have to accept the fact that both are in the end of their brilliant carrers,it was time to say Thank you and good  luck.Let the celtics start their rebuilding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

It all depends on how one feels about the draft picks.  We didn't save any $ or long term space considering that the longest term contract involved is Wallace's.  Both PP and Humphs are up at the end of this year and Hump only makes 3 mil less which makes 0 difference in the grand scheme of things.  The two best players in the trade were easily PP and KG so it wasn't a move to add talent.

Really what we traded them for was 3 future first round picks.  People that wanted to see PP and or KG gone anyway will say that the last 2 of those picks could be high end picks because the Nets  will stink when those two retire or move on.  

However, like you I believe that this new owner could care less about the taxes he'll have to pay for being over the cap. In fact, after this sketchy deal with AK47 it seems as though he isn't above shady dealing to get what he wants.  This leads me to believe that the Nets will be competitive as long as he is there, and we'll be relegated to hoping whatever superstars he brings in hurt themselves so the picks are better.

This deal is pretty obviously a tank move, but if the Celts lose out on one of the top 5 picks its a complete bust! I am not of the mind that there are 7 or 8 franchise players in this draft.  Every week the # of future allstars avail in this draft seems to go up with these tank lovers.

If we end up with the 7th or 8th pick I wouldn't be surprised if Gerald Wallace and his rediculous contract lingers in Boston longer than DA as GM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

It all depends on how one feels about the draft picks.  We didn't save any $ or long term space considering that the longest term contract involved is Wallace's.  Both PP and Humphs are up at the end of this year and Hump only makes 3 mil less which makes 0 difference in the grand scheme of things.  The two best players in the trade were easily PP and KG so it wasn't a move to add talent.

Really what we traded them for was 3 future first round picks.  People that wanted to see PP and or KG gone anyway will say that the last 2 of those picks could be high end picks because the Nets  will stink when those two retire or move on.  

However, like you I believe that this new owner could care less about the taxes he'll have to pay for being over the cap. In fact, after this sketchy deal with AK47 it seems as though he isn't above shady dealing to get what he wants.  This leads me to believe that the Nets will be competitive as long as he is there, and we'll be relegated to hoping whatever superstars he brings in hurt themselves so the picks are better.

This deal is pretty obviously a tank move, but if the Celts lose out on one of the top 5 picks its a complete bust! I am not of the mind that there are 7 or 8 franchise players in this draft.  Every week the # of future allstars avail in this draft seems to go up with these tank lovers.

If we end up with the 7th or 8th pick I wouldn't be surprised if Gerald Wallace and his rediculous contract lingers in Boston longer than DA as GM.

I'm with you on this trade..Granted we have some pretty good prospects! RR,JG,JS BB and the new talent should be fun to observe in their progression. I still can't figure out how we made a good trade.

Time will tell but my C ferver has wained.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

This trade was the work of genius.

Pierce and KG are getting older, and we got 3 first round draft picks plus the chance to trade picks in 2017. If we are a lottery team this year, 2014 is the deepest draft in many years, and we have two picks.

Ainge is a genius.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that Ainge is hoping that some of the first round picks received from the Nets will be nearer the top of the draft order especially the later ones.

The Nets may have a chance to win this year, but their window is not real wide.  Pierce's contract expires after this next season and he will likely not be back in NY for a second season. And, if Pierce is not there then maybe Garnett isn't there either.  And, injuries could even make both of these guys less than dominating even in 2013-14.

The Nets also have some other 30 something stars right now (besides Pierce and Garnett) who may not age as well as the Nets hope over the next few years. TheNets also have very few draft picks left to use to get younger and cheaper at least until 2019.

I know that the Nets seem to have an endless supply of money, but even for a rich owner there will come a time that they/he do not want to pay over a hundred million to field a 4th place team.

With all that, the Nets could become a lottery team again and maybe sooner than they figure.