Tainted Championship

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from felalejo. Show felalejo's posts

Re: Tainted Championship

all these idiots always have an excuse for Kobe. Do they expect him to win a Championship by himself? Idiots. Even Michael Jordan had another great player next to him. Scottie Pippen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from spittingonauerbachsgrave. Show spittingonauerbachsgrave's posts

scoreboard biotches!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

I love the C's...Great job team, some bad calls but overall Great job.
    I still say you did good you took it away from the Cav's and the Magic
    that's enough for me right now, Let the Aker's have this one again.
    Tony Allen you had a Terrific season... hope you are back next year.
    Love you KG, PP, and the others.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

As summariized by Tru Hoop, for McKie to have been traded to Grizzlies, the  league wanted the the Grizzlies to honestly want Mckie to play for them.  The Grizzlies did not.  This could be called a lie.  Therefore this was a false trade and an invalid one.  So why was it allowed?  Hmmm   The Cavs trade of Szerbiak was not allowed with similar implications hmm.

Until that issue is addressed saying Marc could be as good as Pau (very silly) is not that useful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship:
    In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : Agreed. I have been watching NBA Finals for many many years and I have never seen such lopsided officiating. Now I am not saying that there was a conspiracy I have just never seen so many missed calls and phantom calls. Nearly all of which benefitted the Lakers. I also find it strange that there was a huge increase in those calls everytime it seemed like the Celtics would win. This is indeed a tainted championship.
    Posted by guyfromtex

You, but why are you shying from saying conspriacy?? Because all these laker fans and politically correct C  fans think its macho not to say the truth?

Refs cant make this many bad/phantom calls and be considered all coincidence. If it happened in a 10 yr old league, youd be outraged.

Not so hard to believe a conspiracy is at work... been going on for a while.. Why did Tim DOnaghy go to jail? Right, he was convicted of being a crooked NBA ref! WOW, a CROOKED NBA ref... what a stretch to think others are no different.. especially when Donaghy spilled the beans about the NBA, its refs and how they CONSPIRE for the good of the league or personal vendettas..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laker4eva. Show laker4eva's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : Agreed. I have been watching NBA Finals for many many years and I have never seen such lopsided officiating. Now I am not saying that there was a conspiracy I have just never seen so many missed calls and phantom calls. Nearly all of which benefitted the Lakers. I also find it strange that there was a huge increase in those calls everytime it seemed like the Celtics would win. This is indeed a tainted championship.
    Posted by guyfromtex

Aww Tex you know that aint true. Trust me when I say the hurt does subside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

You would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to have seen the phantom calls, the missed calls for clear violations, and the discrepancy in calls..all overwhelmingly in the Lakers favor.

I don't see any of that. But you do? all these phantom calls, missed calls overwhelmingly in the Lakers favor? So you feel that the Celtics were screwed by the refs' home job?

Wonderful. The last thing I want to see is that you whiners see that the Lakers beating the Celtics fair and square. The more you feel screwed, the better I enjoy this championship.  It just adds more spice to the celebrations ...

Nothing better than for you folks to get a taste of your own medicine. 2008 and 1984 were just a tip of the iceberg...

So yes, the championship is gift-wrapped to the Lakers. What can you do about it? As McHale said in 1984, a few years down the road, people only remembered who won the championship in 1984. Who would remember your whining? or your pathetic arguments about the FTs?

That's why you try your best in the regular season to get home court in the finals. That's why you don't tank games against the Wizards, the Nets, the 76ers, the Knicks, etc. You do that and you expect a friendly whistle in game 7 of the finals? on the other team's court?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm glad to hear that these "fans" are leaving the NBA in droves. I don't want conspiracy buffs around anyhow. Funny though the ratings broke some records so maybe not all fans are leaving. During the World Cup this weekend I saw refs impact games in ways that go way beyond what NBA refs can pull off. I supposed the World Cup is fixed also and fans are abandoning that? 

Yes, the officiating was not great in this series. And home teams have always benefitted from calls. We won two out of three at home and easily could have won the third. We didn't get the regular season wins we needed to have home court, and we ran into a better team. Yes, the Lakers were the better team, especially with Perkins hurt. I would be really angry if I felt like the better team lost the series, but how can you claim that? KG played decent offensively but was not the defensive intimidator he was in 08, Rondo lost his mojo and couldn't hit a free throw, and Ray couldn't hit the side of a barn. Pierce's iso plays weren't working and we didn't do enough to free him from Artest via the pick and roll....and we're blaming this loss on the refs? It's unbecoming. Almost as unbecoming as the Lakers trolls on this thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff22751. Show jeff22751's posts

I have been reading the posts from all over the country and it seems that it isn't only Boston Fans who are in agreement that the officiating is the reason the Lakers won. There are two levels of posts that I think are not realistic. The first is the conspiracy posters who think that the NBA had a plan for the Lakers to win. If that were  to happen they would have to involve too many people to keep it quiet. So it didn't.

The second are the LA fans who are in denial about just how bad this game was officiated in the 4th quarter. This was very bad. It was multiple calls and an LA team that could hardly buy a basket was sent to the line over and over on bad calls. The Refs for whatever reason started making calls that they hadn't all game and for some inexplicable reason the Celtics didn't get the benefit of similar calls.

I knew the Celtics were in trouble when Artest barged into Pierce and got the call. It was such an obvious non call. That was followed by Kobe doing the exact same thing right after Gasol pushed Rondo to the floor and stole that rebound. Call it mass hysteria or something else but the refs lost their minds and LA won but the Lakers did not win it by superior play and any LA fan that says otherwise is just as foolish as the conspiracy theorists.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In what universe of basketball does a closely contested game see the team behind get 22 fouls shot in the last quarter when neither team can shoot. The whole series saw touch fouls going the Lakers way and the Celtics rarely going to the line unless hacked. Kobe had 11 foul shots in the last period in a game where he shot 5 for 24.  They bailed him out what else can be said.

One question for all Faker fans. When did Michael Jordan ever go 5 for 24 in a seventh game. Let alone any playoff game.  Kobe is nowhere near him.  His best game was in a game the Celtics won (5th). That says it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : I don't see any of that. But you do? all these phantom calls, missed calls overwhelmingly in the Lakers favor? So you feel that the Celtics were screwed by the refs' home job? Wonderful. The last thing I want to see is that you whiners see that the Lakers beating the Celtics fair and square. The more you feel screwed, the better I enjoy this championship.  It just adds more spice to the celebrations ... Nothing better than for you folks to get a taste of your own medicine. 2008 and 1984 were just a tip of the iceberg... So yes, the championship is gift-wrapped to the Lakers. What can you do about it? As McHale said in 1984, a few years down the road, people only remembered who won the championship in 1984. Who would remember your whining? or your pathetic arguments about the FTs? That's why you try your best in the regular season to get home court in the finals. That's why you don't tank games against the Wizards, the Nets, the 76ers, the Knicks, etc. You do that and you expect a friendly whistle in game 7 of the finals? on the other team's court?
    Posted by GlasgowRangers

Thanks for admitting it. At least you know the Lakers got all the whistles, every on the imaginry fouls.

Who will remember years from now...everyone. Cause the 2010 nba champs will always have have an *... just like 2002, when the Lakers were greased into the finals by crooked refs..   Its why so many are rejecting the NBA and the word is out..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : Maybe we're just afraid of the lakers.  THE dumbest thing ever posted in this forum.

Dumbest thing ever said on this board: not making the finals is an honor...

So, let's see if I get today's rant: You ADMIT the Finals were fixed in favor of the lakers (ha ha ha), yet you maintain the Celtics lost on purpose many times to avoid facing them in the Finals!! Oh yeah, we ALL buy that!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Why don't you buy that? If it's fixed, you have more reasons not to make the finals, just to keep your immaculate finals record, oui?

Why you have this idiocy of "not making the finals is good" is beyond me...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posted by guyfromtex

The worst officiated series that I can remember was the western conference finals in 2002 when Sacramento lost to LA.    Sacramento lost the opportunity to

compete for the championship that year and may have won it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I have been reading the posts from all over the country and it seems that it isn't only Boston Fans who are in agreement that the officiating is the reason the Lakers won. There are two levels of posts that I think are not realistic. The first is the conspiracy posters who think that the NBA had a plan for the Lakers to win. If that were  to happen they would have to involve too many people to keep it quiet. So it didn't. The second are the LA fans who are in denial about just how bad this game was officiated in the 4th quarter. This was very bad. It was multiple calls and an LA team that could hardly buy a basket was sent to the line over and over on bad calls. The Refs for whatever reason started making calls that they hadn't all game and for some inexplicable reason the Celtics didn't get the benefit of similar calls. I knew the Celtics were in trouble when Artest barged into Pierce and got the call. It was such an obvious non call. That was followed by Kobe doing the exact same thing right after Gasol pushed Rondo to the floor and stole that rebound. Call it mass hysteria or something else but the refs lost their minds and LA won but the Lakers did not win it by superior play and any LA fan that says otherwise is just as foolish as the conspiracy theorists.
    Posted by jeff22751

I have also read many posts from other NBA fans on espn, nba.com, etc.  Many of them also believe that the Lakers got the benefit of the calls in game 7.  I do still believe that the Celtics could have won this game.  They lost the game during the last few minutes by giving up their defensive efforts and missing some crucial baskets. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlasgowRangers. Show GlasgowRangers's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : Thanks for admitting it. At least you know the Lakers got all the whistles, every on the imaginry fouls. Who will remember years from now...everyone. Cause the 2010 nba champs will always have have an *... just like 2002, when the Lakers were greased into the finals by crooked refs..  

asterisk? where is it? whether you like it or not, no one put an asterisk to the 3-peat, or Jackson's 11 championships, or Kobe's 5 rings. So you better stop dreaming.

Lakers got the calls because of one simple reason: The Celtics tanked against the Wizards, Nets, Knicks, 76ers ... That's why game 7 was in Staples instead of in TD.

Afterall, such unprofessional acts should not go unpunished. There is God afterall...

Its why so many are rejecting the NBA and the word is out..
    Posted by Karllost

Yeah, the word is out. The NBA will be every bit as popular next season. You know it and your bitterness won't change a thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Did someone actually post that the game was well reffed because Van Gundy and Jackson didn't comment on it???

Don't you realize that the league has rules for the annoucers too. If they were highly critical of refs they'd be done as announcers. In addition neither one of those guys has proven to be a very good critic of what they are seeing on the floor. Van Gundy gets one theme in his head and sticks with it over and over through the whole game. Jackson is such a Kobe lover you'd think they are related.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

As much as lakers won the game at the free throw line, I cant blame refs. The celtics were a spent old team that ran out of gas 12 minutes from the finish line. There is no shame in that.  Van Gundy and crew made a great point that the refs let em play as long as the bodies were moving but once the Celtics stopped moving and played hand check D the refs said no way. As much as I appreciate and respect Doc, this is at his doorstep. He fell one again into the trap of not trusting the young players. (remember how he inexplicably started giving Eddie Houses minutes to Sam cassell in the 08 playoffs first round until he sobered up and remembered what got us there?) game 7 was never going to be won with a 6 man rotation which is essentially what Doc chose to do. Nate Robinson played 3+, Tony Allen 5+, minutes, not enough. and what on earth did Doc not like about Scals defense on Odom that he didn't give him a couple more shifts in the second half. A few more minutes rest might have made the difference for Peirce and Allen in the 4th quarter. (It was all too KC Jones 1987 for me.) But congrats on one of the most unexpected post season runs in Boston sports history. This nudges the 85 Patriots out of first place in that category. Finally, I think if Bynum gets healthy, he's going to be the best center in the game, forget Dwight Howard. This kid is bigger stronger and a better scorer. I shutter to think how many more banners the Lakers might win as the Celtics go into another 20 year dormancy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : I definitely agree with you here.  But I think that the combination of trying to take the clock down and simply no love from the officials definitely pushes the players away from dirving to the hoop to force fouls.  If fouls aren't being called, then it's a moot point to drive to the hoop.  It would only result in a heavily contested layup and most likely a missed basket.
    Posted by Driscoll92587

I Hope the refs would have called the fouls if there were fouls. I saw a lot of calls that could have gone either way. Some of the fouls that were called on the Celtics for clear blocks left me scratching my head. Usually these calls can and do even out over a game. I'd prefer to believe in inept refs than corrupt ones. 

I do feel for the Celtics as it was their game to lose in the end. Still, happy my team won in the end. And hopefully the Celtics will return with the hunger for another season, NOTHING beats Lakers V Celtics. They may be old, but they still are the Eastern champions. Which is still a great result.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Perhaps if the Celtics ATTACKED the basket every trip down the floor they could have won. The C's had their foot on the proverbial neck of the Lakers, up by 13 and decided to slacken off the pace. As you all know it was a fatal mistake.

I thought the Celtics had it in the bag in the 3rd quarter. Still at a loss to understand why they didn't attack, attack and then attack some more towards the Lakers basket, draw fouls and head to the line. Especially Rondo. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

1)  The most one-sided bogus 4th quarter I have every seen. 

2)  If the officials didn't purposely call game 7 to the benefit of the Lakers, then they'd better start looking for new jobs because that was awful, AWFUL officiating. 

3)  It's game 7, 4th quarter, and the FT shooting is 21 fouls to 6?!?!  Give me a break!

4)  20 more FT's than the Celtics.  That was the FT discrepancy for the game.  Once again, GARBAGE.

5) For any of the Lakers fans on this board who think that this game was fairly called in the least, go read reviews of other fans, post-game write-ups and critiques, analyses, etc.  Everyone saw that this game was nearly identical to LA v. Sacramento circa 2002.  Makes me sick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Posted by MartiniLover666

Keep posting this garbage all you want, but why don't you try proving me wrong with some intelligent discussion instead?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Can understand why you'd be upset man. But the Celtics were settling for jump shots and really should have been going to the hoop. Attacking the hoop with each play. Who cares about being bruised 15 minutes left of a season?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Can understand why you'd be upset man. But the Celtics were settling for jump shots and really should have been going to the hoop. Attacking the hoop with each play. Who cares about being bruised 15 minutes left of a season?
    Posted by RUWorthy

I definitely agree with you here.  But I think that the combination of trying to take the clock down and simply no love from the officials definitely pushes the players away from dirving to the hoop to force fouls.  If fouls aren't being called, then it's a moot point to drive to the hoop.  It would only result in a heavily contested layup and most likely a missed basket.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

In Response to Re: Tainted Championship : That definitely was one of the worst officiated playoff series in NBA history. 
    Posted by susan250

See, here's what I'm talking about.  I'd like for people to back these statements up.  Not that I doubt your veracity, but I'd like to see a window into 'why' people feel these are poorly officiated games. 

And I mean specifics, not vague "look how many free throws".  We all know that free throw attempts come after fouls.  But if one team gets more than the other, does that seriously mean the game was rigged?

Let me put it this way:  Do you not believe that one team might foul a lot more frequently than another?

That's why I'd like to see people point to specific fouls.  The only breakdown ever done of the 2002 game showed that the officiating really wasn't biased.  Only one person did a real breakdown of that game, and he put it all out there for people to witness...and it didn't look slanted.

So I'm saying, let's start backing this up.  You think game 7 was thrown...then use real evidence, not just FTAs...POINT to where the calls failed. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

I would be very interested to see a breakdown of the 4th quarter calls.  I've heard a lot of Celtics fans complaining about them being unfair, but haven't heard very many examples.  The main one I've heard about was the Ray Allen/Kobe foul.  Although replay showed Ray Allen hit not just one, but both arms. A big difference though, is that guys like Wallace, Davis and Perkins paint a picture of being wronged with each and every call.  Wallace went SCREAMING up and down the court a couple times after, what replay showed to be, clear fouls.  It's not like he doesn't know...I think he does it to paint the picture that the Celtics are being victimized.
    Posted by jofc

It wasn't simply the fouls that were called.  It's the fact that, once again, they were so utterly inconsistent compared to the entire game.  There were numerous no calls in the Lakers favor during the 2nd half (especially the 4th quarter), and they were calling EVERY touch foul on the Celtics.  I have been preaching and pleading for officiating consistency, and it's just ironic that it was the downfall in game 7. 

And I'll agree that there were definitely legit fouls on the C's in the 4th qtr (although about half were iffy calls).  The biggest difference is that the officials were calling a loose game for both sides for the first 3 qtrs, and then decided to call it extremely tight in the 4th, with the C's catching the brunt of the tough calls. 

This takes nothing away from the Lakers title because they took what they were given and one can only give credit where credit is due.  The referees were just consistently inconsisent throughout the postseason and especially that 4th quarter and it's terrible to have it be the undertone to an otherwise entertaining series.

Sections
Shortcuts