Talks resume

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Talks resume

As expected, the NBA talks have quietly resumed.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216713/NBA_Players_Resumed_Negotiations_On_Tuesday

It is unclear whether or not these talks are about resolving the lawsuit, resolving the remaining CBA issues, or a combination of both.

Derek Fisher is no longer representing the players - since it is not a Union anymore!

They want to have a 66 game schedule and start by Christmas.  Well, this covers them for negotiating in good faith, but I still believe we'll have no season this year - hope I'm wrong!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Talks resume

I, too, hope we have a season, but I think you'll be right in that these talks won't give us a season.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

My sense is that both sides will find a compromise and that we will have a season.

The sides are not that far apart.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Talks resume:
    I, too, hope we have a season, but I think you'll be right in that these talks won't give us a season.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Yeah, I think it's another move by Stern to stay out of the courtroom, while still trying to stomp the players!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Stern has little to no fear "of the courtroom."

Our legal system protects best those who have the least need for protection... the folks at the very top. For the rest of us, its a crap shoot.

The hot heads on both  sides have made their points. Now the cooler heads will have a chance to prevail.

Both sides know where the deal is. It a matter of getting there.

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Stern has little to no fear "of the courtroom." Our legal system protects best those who have the least need for protection... the folks at the very top. For the rest of us, its a crap shoot. The hot heads on both  sides have made their points. Now the cooler heads will have a chance to prevail. Both sides know where the deal is. It a matter of getting there. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Disagree - I think Stern has had a cooler head the entire time.  He is two steps ahead of the players, and has been from the get-go!
    If the deal is 53-47 for the owners, and a bunch of system changes, then, YES, that is where the deal is.  Hunter will never go for it.
    I think Stern anticipated this move, and will say, "See, we did due diligence, and negotiated in good faith."  He is NOT afraid of the court, that is true - but he still doesn't want to go into one and lose.  He's covered now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Stern the stonefaced arrogant liar is not the reason the owners are in a powerful position.  The owners themselves are the ones who have called the shots and because there are more franchises that have not won championships and are not making money - there's a united front on the BRI split and the system issues.  I really think it has very little to do with Stern.  He really has a lot less influence with this set of owners than he's ever had before - the view I've read from insiders.

In any case - to the important stuff:   Everyone have a great Thanksgiving with family and friends.  Enjoy the football, the fattening meal, the quality time with your siblings/parents/kids, and please.....treasure the moments with a Thank You prayer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Talks resume : Disagree - I think Stern has had a cooler head the entire time.  He is two steps ahead of the players, and has been from the get-go! If the deal is 53-47 for the owners, and a bunch of system changes, then, YES, that is where the deal is.  Hunter will never go for it. I think Stern anticipated this move, and will say, "See, we did due diligence, and negotiated in good faith."  He is NOT afraid of the court, that is true - but he still doesn't want to go into one and lose.  He's covered now!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

He has been the cool head. A number of owners are the hot heads. Stern is cool as ice and very professional IMHO.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

David Stern will be laughing at all the haters once the season starts this Christmas.

Many on this board hate Stern. But as long as all the haters keep watching and supporting the NBA, then it's all good.

David Stern says, "IN YOUR FACE, HATERS!!!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im expecting a deal will be made this time around..

My feeling all along is the players would eventually crumble and fall to pieces.. I believe now is the time this happens. 

Many players are probably already turning on Billy Hunter... thinking this guy is still making his while we're standing out in the cold. The players tolerance is only so long... the finger pointing will start increasing and it will hit home that for all the bravado and show of unity.... the players arent getting paid.  That will trump union brotherhood imo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Call me a skeptic, but:
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216723/After_Two_Days_Of_Talks_Sides_Break_Until_Friday

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216732/Source_Escrow_System_Remains_Most_Significant_Obstacle

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

ESCROW YOU! Is that what David Boies is telling David Stern in this picture? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

David Stern will be laughing at all the haters once the season starts this Christmas. Many on this board hate Stern. But as long as all the haters keep watching and supporting the NBA, then it's all good. David Stern says, "IN YOUR FACE, HATERS!!!"
    Posted by 21st

I heard that they really want to start the season on Christmas.  That would be great even though I still really dislike Stern.  I am still hoping for a resolution this weekend. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

If only the players had such a coherent business strategy for resolving the deadlock.

They don't and as such find themselves at a serious disadvantage.

Maybe one or two should have stayed in school long enough to earn a degree in business instead of bling.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Talks resume : It is my belief that these talks are 1) a way that the owners can tell the courts (if it goes that far) that they were willing to negotiate, 2) an opportunity that the owners are going to give to the players as it appears that the solidarity that they once had is cracking and we would have had a new CBA if it had been put to a players vote and 3) if it doesn't go to a players vote the owners will then step on the players throat, there will be no season and the owners will force a worse CBA on the players next year......
    Posted by damfuno

Agree with all 3

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

And this just in, gee, where have I heard this before?

Ken Berger writes that "it is possible that the split of revenues could inch upward above 50 percent for the players" to help seal the deal.

Who was it who said the owners will make one more offer to the players at 52% BRI, with the owners getting all of the system changes they want?......oh yeah, it was me!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

my hunches and instincts were worthless last season as i made several misguided pronouncements on these pages. oh, well...  here's another: 

the lockout strife has gone on long enough and this latest round of talks will yield an agreement that will see the nba 2011-12 season begin on Christmas day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Bailey - was that a prediction or was that you expressing my wishes?Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

celtsfan4life, all the above. ha! i'm just sensing more urgency to get this thing resolved this go 'round. jeffrey kessler stepping back and jim quinn stepping up as union counsel strikes me as a major developement. i think the players are realizing they're gonna need to bite the bullet and not take it personally. perhaps the timing and circumstances around the next agreement will favor the players instead of the owners, unlike this time.

Sections
Shortcuts