Tank for Marcus Smart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Tank for Marcus Smart?

Seriously?

Come on man.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Re: Tank for Marcus Smart?

Celtics made the right choice by choosing the best player available regarding of position....Smart will wreak havoc on the defensive end....Job well done Danny!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

My point is that trading your players for picks and tanking all year and winding up with a defensive point guard is an enormous fail.

Smart is good. I was hoping for a lot better than good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

hard to make fans happy!! This guy can guard 1,2,3 and make life miserable to a 4 playing outside the paint. Tenacious! feisty, energy guy.. IMO the 4th best pick in the draft period..and scouts spoke highly about him..better than exum, gordon and others..I hope DA keeps this guy 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hard to make fans happy!! This guy can guard 1,2,3 and make life miserable to a 4 playing outside the paint. Tenacious! feisty, energy guy.. IMO the 4th best pick in the draft period..and scouts spoke highly about him..better than exum, gordon and others..I hope DA keeps this guy 

[/QUOTE]

You also are missing the point. If before this season we were asked if we wanted to tank to get Marcus Smart, every single Celtics fan would have said no.

I am always happy as a Celtics fan. this is just not a good outcome to this years draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

He will penetrate the lane of the opponents with ferocity and extract fouls. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You also are missing the point. If before this season we were asked if we wanted to tank to get Marcus Smart, every single Celtics fan would have said no.

I am always happy as a Celtics fan. this is just not a good outcome to this years draft.

[/QUOTE]

Tank didnt happen. It was a semi tank because the coach didnt believe in tank. This is the best scenario. As you can see, not even the team that tanked the most got the first pick.. let it play it out!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston1988. Show LegendofBoston1988's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So are you saying the Celtics tanked ?  Looked to me they were trying to win games towards the end of the season. If they were really tanking they would have been like Philly. I am happy with the pick. We can let Bradley walk if need be, and possibly set up for a Rondo trade.  So far so good Danny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Tony Allen 2.0???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Can't be the end game.  Rondo, Bradley, and Smart……a rotation of three small guards who are all 'secondary' players.   We tanked to end up with Marcus Smart and no more height nor no more scoring.   This has to be a move to generate a trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to LegendofBoston1988's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So are you saying the Celtics tanked ?  Looked to me they were trying to win games towards the end of the season. If they were really tanking they would have been like Philly. I am happy with the pick. We can let Bradley walk if need be, and possibly set up for a Rondo trade.  So far so good Danny.

[/QUOTE]

True.  Best choice available. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't be the end game.  Rondo, Bradley, and Smart……a rotation of three small guards who are all 'secondary' players.   We tanked to end up with Marcus Smart and no more height nor no more scoring.   This has to be a move to generate a trade.

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope. He is a poor shooting PG. Bigger, thicker Marcus banks?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"My point is that trading your players for picks and tanking all year and winding up with a defensive point guard is an enormous fail."

Once upon a time, we tanked for Jeff Green, traded him for Ray Allen, and won a championship. 

Maybe tanking didn't work this year, but we won't know for several years. 

Tanking doesn't guarantee a top three pick, but it's still the only way to get better in the NBA unless you are LA or Miami or a Texas team

In theory, Smart can now take Rondo's place, making it much more feasible to trade Rondo as well....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"So are you saying the Celtics tanked ? Looked to me they were trying to win games towards the end of the season. If they were really tanking they would have been like Philly. "

Philly actually beat us in a very important game for tanking late in the season. 

Tanking is not about not trying to win. Tanking is about stripping your team of talent so you have no choice but to lose. Ainge stripped the team of talent but arguably could have made one more trade to make it that much harder for us to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Dumb thread.

Buddy, we know all the risk in tanking which is why I was heavily advocating getting Love and avoiding the draft.

I love the Smart pick however, but it's dumb to sit here and complain. He was the BPA and could take over at the 2 for AB and saves us the money or helps us show Rondo the door even quicker.

When we didn't land Love (yet), we booked a 4-7 year rebuild. Get used to it.  

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Without trades bringing in two good vets we are tanking again.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Celtic's "tanked" by playing the players they wanted to trade or showcase for trade instead of playing their best.  

If they played to win they would have won a few more games, they played to improve, not to win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

My point is that trading your players for picks and tanking all year and winding up with a defensive point guard is an enormous fail.

Smart is good. I was hoping for a lot better than good.

[/QUOTE]

Trade Season has only just begun.....free agency starts in days, fireworks in the next 30 days are highly likely

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Don't know that much about Smart.  But one thing I don't question.  Belief.  As Tommy Heinsohn was once heard saying,"If the rookies can believe in themselves, it is a great start.  They can build from there."

Somehow I feel that Brad Stevens will have to work magic to get Rondo and Smart to mesh in terms of personality.  Rondo is likely getting traded.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Makes no sense Mesh but be traded ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Seriously?

Come on man.

According to projected WARP (3.6), Smart was #1 in the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11102133/nba-draft-marcus-smart-tops-kevin-pelton-prospect-projection-rankings ;

[QUOTE]

1. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Win%: .512 | Age: 20.1 | WARP projection: 3.6

Several factors propelled Smart to the top of the WARP projections. He is young for a sophomore, just 10 days older than Joel Embiid. Smart's projected steal rate is tops for any projected first-round pick, which is important because steal rate has been a strong indicator of NBA success. He is also an excellent rebounder and has been surprisingly good playing against star point guards. Players similar to Smart tend to perform better in the NBA as the professional floor typically is more open, allowing them to create off the dribble.[/QUOTE]

...the King of the Rumba Beat...