Tank for Marcus Smart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Tank for Marcus Smart?

In response to billge's comment:

Makes no sense Mesh but be traded ?

Why?  What doesn't make sense?  I see that it will be difficult to get Rondo and Smart to mesh because of their personality.  I believe that it is more likely that Rondo will get traded now.  Simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

If Smart decided to be in last years draft he was projected to be a potential #1 pick. I love both of these picks based on the remaining players available. These picks are both tall backcourt players. I ask the OP, what other options did Ainge have last night. I don't see Rondo going, that would leave the PG position in the hands of a 19 year old rookie. Bradley is not a PG.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is logical that Rondo is going.  They are not shooter and won't play off-guard and besides we just got James Young to play there along with AB.  There are not enough minutes for both to stay.  Smart is not drafted this high to be on the bench most of the games nor Rondo as a former all-star and a potential max player.  We will still be a lottery team next year, perfect time to get Smart some experience and Rondo will get his big contract somewhere else.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"This guy can guard 1,2,3 and make life miserable to a 4 playing outside the paint. Tenacious! feisty, energy guy.."

LOL: while only in college and while he's selling & positioning himself in the draft. After 2 years in NBA, the tenaciousness are gone.........JUST ASK BRADLEY!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The real question is when they will trade Rondo and what they'll get in exchange, because you couldn't of tanked just to acquire another point guard that can't shoot and most likely won't be an upgrade over Rondo. Another shoe is bound to drop, if not then welcome to NBA purgatory...a place where few escape....and it just goes on and on and on...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"So are you saying the Celtics tanked ? Looked to me they were trying to win games towards the end of the season. If they were really tanking they would have been like Philly. "

Philly actually beat us in a very important game for tanking late in the season. 

Tanking is not about not trying to win. Tanking is about stripping your team of talent so you have no choice but to lose. Ainge stripped the team of talent but arguably could have made one more trade to make it that much harder for us to win.

Stripped to team of what talent??  Old broken down players (Pierce and Garnett) or the role players that were being overpaid?? 

Always Right.....at least in my mind

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I have no problem with Smart. As far as the tanking goes they just got unlucky in the lottery so I think we may be in for another long year and another lottery next year. If at first you don't succeed......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I'm more excited to watch this team next year compete for the number 1 pick and develop young players in the process then I would to watch Love and Rondo win 43 games a year for the next 5 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

I'm more excited to watch this team next year compete for the number 1 pick and develop young players in the process then I would to watch Love and Rondo win 43 games a year for the next 5 years.

If we could have acquired Love it is also possible that we could acquire another elite player next season.  I would imagine that Rondo will be traded and we should be awful next season which won't make the season holders happy.  I am not a season ticket holder but know a few who won't be happy about next season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

If we could have acquired Love it is also possible that we could acquire another elite player next season.  I would imagine that Rondo will be traded and we should be awful next season which won't make the season holders happy.  I am not a season ticket holder but know a few who won't be happy about next season. 

Pink hats aren't patient.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Also, who is this other elite player?  Love will demand a max contract as will Rondo, so you are certain the Celtics will have the cap room to add another elite player and that another elite player will even be available as a free agent.  To get Love, the Celtics will have to empty the coffers so they will have no assets to trade for another elite player and they will need another team that has an elite player and is willing to trade them.  Easier said then done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:

Seriously?

Come on man.

Contrary to popular opinion we did not tank, we just sucked! Heck Brad Stevens was to good a coach for us to effectively tank! Don't you remember we were in first place in December? Cmon man!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Marcus Smart is the next Gary Payton.

IMO there were only two point guards in this draft worth taking in the first round, Ennis and Smart.  I liked Ennis because I thought he was the best pure point guard but unquestionably Smart was the best athlete available at point guard and maybe the best individual defender in the entire draft.

What this tells me is that Love won't be coming to Boston.  No problem, continue the rebuild, all of of expiring contracts will be available for trade at the end of this upcoming season.  Enjoy the process, Rondo might bring us back some decent returns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

D promised action, did not deliver.  Shoot much. Smart plays the two with Rondo the only time he will touch the ball i in layup drills. Hear the sound of bounce, bounce, bounce.............?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to billge's comment:

D promised action, did not deliver.  Shoot much. Smart plays the two with Rondo the only time he will touch the ball i in layup drills. Hear the sound of bounce, bounce, bounce.............?

Are you saying Rondo doesn't pass the ball, a guy who led the entire NBA in assists?

Rondo will likely get traded now, that's fine.  I like Rondo but he is getting older, deserves to be happy in Sacramento or wherever he lands and I appreciate his time as a Celtic.

If by some chance Rondo and Smart share the backcourt you would see some of the best transition basketball available.  This Celtic team isn't nearly as bad as fans think and the young players continue to improve; Olynyk, Sully and Fav with Smart and/or Rondo would be fun to watch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to LegendofBoston1988's comment:

In response to cabutan's comment:

hard to make fans happy!! This guy can guard 1,2,3 and make life miserable to a 4 playing outside the paint. Tenacious! feisty, energy guy.. IMO the 4th best pick in the draft period..and scouts spoke highly about him..better than exum, gordon and others..I hope DA keeps this guy 

You also are missing the point. If before this season we were asked if we wanted to tank to get Marcus Smart, every single Celtics fan would have said no.

I am always happy as a Celtics fan. this is just not a good outcome to this years draft.

So are you saying the Celtics tanked ?  Looked to me they were trying to win games towards the end of the season. If they were really tanking they would have been like Philly. I am happy with the pick. We can let Bradley walk if need be, and possibly set up for a Rondo trade.  So far so good Danny.

Yeah...they tanked. They just didn't do it well. Hence my post, hence this draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Dumb thread.

Buddy, we know all the risk in tanking which is why I was heavily advocating getting Love and avoiding the draft.

I love the Smart pick however, but it's dumb to sit here and complain. He was the BPA and could take over at the 2 for AB and saves us the money or helps us show Rondo the door even quicker.

When we didn't land Love (yet), we booked a 4-7 year rebuild. Get used to it.  

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

What's "dumb" is thinking someone is complaining for voicing their opinion. I've been a fan for 40 years. I'm used to it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

I agree with you there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Let's get on with trading Rondon't and start the new regime for real once the cancerous little weasel head case is gone...Mr. Green Jeans, the NBA's leading bipolar player is next. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Let's get on with trading Rondon't and start the new regime for real once the cancerous little weasel head case is gone...Mr. Green Jeans, the NBA's leading bipolar player is next. 

Now that is the thing, if he trades Rondo and a decent return comes back then all of a sudden this draft is not so bad.  If rondo walks and the Celtics get nothing? Not so much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Derp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Well as much as he was touted and scouts love him he hasnt lived up to it yet. The guy drafted # 10, Payton who also cant shoot a lick just had near triple double last night while making all of his shots. Smart is 5-23 in 2 games because he is trying to convince people he can shoot instead of playing his game(going to hole) which also needs to be adjusted as he has got his shot pinned a few times coming into the lane wild. He is a physical specimen no doubt but Far from a polished player. He has a long way to go to start at the 1 or 2. Just gotta hope he keeps improving but Im UN - Impressed so far. Did we draft a guy at 6 because of his defensive prowess? and do people really think he can guard the 3 spot??  I dont see it. He can guard 1's but will struggle with the small, quicker ones and 2 guards like Batum will be too tall. He needs to get slimmer IMO to be ready for the quicker guards in the league. Hindsight is 20/20 but Payton looks like the better pick so far. Just as feisty on D with a better feel for his offensive game but playmaking.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Are you saying Rondo doesn't pass the ball, a guy who led the entire NBA in assists?

Rondo will likely get traded now, that's fine.  I like Rondo but he is getting older, deserves to be happy in Sacramento or wherever he lands and I appreciate his time as a Celtic.

If by some chance Rondo and Smart share the backcourt you would see some of the best transition basketball available.  This Celtic team isn't nearly as bad as fans think and the young players continue to improve; Olynyk, Sully and Fav with Smart and/or Rondo would be fun to watch.

technically speaking, rondo doesn't pass the ball until the shot clock is strangled down to SSOL.............   when KG/PP/RA were around we barely got away with it.  rondo doesn't pass the ball until that late because he doesn't want the ball to come back to him.

we saw last year how horrible of a shooter rondo STILL IS when he tried to shoot the ball more from the outside- and that coming off of a year plus of nothing to do but shoot thousands of J's and free throws.  he was no better than before.

head case.  head case who thinks he's worth 15M.  he won't bring doodly squat in a trade

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Derp.

Who bumps their own dead thread?

• Sections
    Shortcuts