TANKAPALOOZA BOWL...76'rs vs. Celtics

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: TANKAPALOOZA BOWL...76'rs vs. Celtics

Who in their right mind would root for the Celtics to win at this point in the year? We may have a shot at embiid if we stay at the 4 pick. 1 position in the draft could be the difference in getting a game changer or getting just another good player. No one on this board is any more of a Celtic fan than i am, and i hope we don't win another game all year. Because i know not winning meaningless games now, will help us to become a better team in the future.  Give me Parker Or Embiid and with the second pick Andrew Harrison, and our future will start to look a lot brighter.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Who in their right mind would root for the Celtics to win at this point in the year? We may have a shot at embiid if we stay at the 4 pick. 1 position in the draft could be the difference in getting a game changer or getting just another good player. No one on this board is any more of a Celtic fan than i am, and i hope we don't win another game all year. Because i know not winning meaningless games now, will help us to become a better team in the future.  Give me Parker Or Embiid and with the second pick Andrew Harrison, and our future will start to look a lot brighter.

How about Parker or Embiid and Bayless?

If we draft Harrison, i trade Rondo. Bayless being used like Petey said,could give us needed offense at a reasonably cheap price.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

How about Parker or Embiid and Bayless?

Why do you say Parker or Embiid ??? We have needed a Center since Perkins left. Parker is a F and a good one but I believe we are going to keep Oly & Sully and Parker would be a compliment to them but a Center like Embiid would be better. But if Embiid gone, I would take Parker & hope we could unload Wallace, Bass & Green & get Omer Asik or play with Faverani next year. Would be nice too to have Hump as our 4th F if we got Parker & then next year hope we could give up a lot of our 10 picks to get Kaminsky for C.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Guys, what energy? Bayless brings no energy. Just because he dribbles the hell out of the ball but gets nowhere with it doesn't mean he's an energy player. He can't defend at even a break even rate. Most nights he's getting killed out there. He's not a step ahead of the energy curve; he may well be behind it. He can make jumpers in bunches. Okay, but I don't really see the energy.

But 'Bayless or no Bayless' is really only a sidebar to the larger priority of getting a couple of legitimate shooting guards/small forwards for the team who can play the game as well as shoot. The team needs wing players who aren't ball-handling/play-making/floor-game challenged.

With the present group of people, the ball just doesn't move cleanly. Defenses hate the ball moving in the air; they love dribbling as a means of movement. Much easier to defend. So what does this team do? This is not a functional basketball team as presently constituted. And if players with no ball skills and no basketball IQ are retained it will remain dysfunctional.

Almost nobody on this team can pass the ball well. Green and Bass are terrible, really terrible passers. They are both also terrible movers and cutters. Awful, nearly inert. Humphries can't pass the ball and has trouble catching it. Olynyk has very good passing instincts, but as in everything else he attempts, he does it slowly, without crispness or hand and arm strength. Neither does he cut and present strongly as a target. Sullinger is a decent passer, but again slow in the execution. On the plus side, he is a great target and can catch anything

The SGs, Bradley and Bayless, are pretty similar in their consistent inability to make basic basketball passing plays like converting 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 breaks, or making entry passes. They both throw the ball all over the place, step out of bounds, get distracted. Neither ever surprises you with a move with the ball.

So as 2 guards they should be able to compensate but they both have trouble finishing at the rim - short arms, small hands.  Granted, both are shooters who can get hot. Tonight Bayless scored 23 points on 20 shots. A player known for being a streak shooter should find a streak of makes in a 20-shot sample.

But he also gave up 7 turnovers, not counting two of Rondo's when he just inexplicably turned away. Bradley can also run a streak of jumpers, but he can also throw the ball away 3 times in a row and botch a couple of fast break gimme's. 

Pressey has a good motor, sees the floor pretty well for a small guard, and wants to make the right play. Sometimes it results in spectacular results; sometimes he gets swallowed up. If he had smarter, faster, more athletic players on the floor with him, he'd look a lot better.

Rondo too. Rondo still looks slowed, altered by the surgery, but he looked more lively tonight. Still, he's made some awkward and awful turnovers this season, trying to force the ball into places where there was no space, getting caught on the way down with nowhere to pass and bailing it out to the closest guy to him. It sounds stupid to say that the ball isn't moving cleanly when your PG has 16 assists, but I'll say it anyway - it isn't.

Maybe it's Stevens' sets. I admit that they look pretty static; lots of dribble movement side to side but in a congested area. Not many clean drives or splits by PGs on P&Rs. Never see our bigs catching while moving. No clean rolls for dunks. My guess is there have been very few since Faverani stopped playing. I remember a few from Sullinger, but nothing like the parade to the rim we gave to the Wizards.

My guess is that Stevens has gone with Rondo monopolizing and holding the ball because he can't depend on anyone else passing the ball other than his two rookie bigs. Just try for a moment to put together a set that required three different Celtic players to pass the ball intelligently. Now do the same for the SA Spurs, or the GSW, or the Heat, or the Bulls. How well do Rondo, Olynyk, and Sullinger match up against Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, Leonard, Mills? Or Bogut, Lee, Iguodala, Curry, Thompson? etc.

Back to Bayless. Maybe if you could sign him as 4th or 5th guard for 2-3 million, make him run Ray Allen's old routes, and tell him that if he even attempts to make a play that isn't a shot he doesn't get paid that week, I say sign him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Damn good loss tonight!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I agree but Shabazz Napier or Andrew Harrison are not backup energy players. They would constitue long term rotation players, if not eventual starters. 

I would be perfectly fine with gaining one of them at the expense of losing Bayless. However, I just don't see getting those guys as reasonable selections considering our probable draft position.

Bayless reminds me of House and Nate - energy guys off the bench who provide one thing and one thing only. Never true starters, both could catch fire and carry a team for a quarter. Nate and Baby WON one NBA Finals game for us. You can't ask for anything more. 

Youre not looking for him to give you that energy for 30-35 minutes - like tonight. 

Here's the thing, Pete, Bayless as an energy guy will help the Celts win more games than they should.

We don't need that next season.

The Celts should be in the top 3 or the top 5 of the lottery next season.

It's all about player development.

Celts will need an energy guy, like Bayless, 2 or 3 years from now.

Basically what I'm saying is Bayless is not a good fit for a rebuilding team that must have a top 3 or top 5 pick in the lottery.

Celts are nowhere near of becoming a playoff team next season.

Got to agree. Get those type of players for the 2015-16 season. Thats when they'll be most needed and have most positive effects on the Cs long term improvement. 

Just think. We're 6 games left from being halfway there. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

I was looking at the remaining schedule the other day and I thought there was no way the C's could lose that game last night. Very good loss for the team, I am impressed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

6 games to go.  It's going down to the wire.  Lakers are not going to win another game this year - they have one remaining against Utah, but other than that their schedule is much tougher than the remaining Celtics schedule.  Celtics really can't afford more than 1 win for the rest of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Bradley really should be shelved for the rest of the year.  There's no point in playing him.  Bayless needs to come down with "vertigo."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

wicksandrowe, your post is spot on. And while Fierce and I debate the merits of re-signing Bayless, signing or not signing him is the least of this team's issues.  Our debate is irrelevant because Bayless will not be the difference in the Celtics getting the 5th pick or the top pick in any year. 

If you can sign a 25 year old on the cheap who can come in and score in bunches as your 4th guard, you sign him.  And make sure we DONT, like we've done this year, play him like a starter and live with his shortcomings in that role (which there are too many). 

But this team and the makeup of these players just doesn't work. And they don't work in Steven's system although I have not yet determined exactly WHAT THAT SYSTEM IS.

i can't wait to see our draft position because DA's got to hit a homerun wherever we slot. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Agreed with the "lose the rest of the games this season" crowd...there is NO way any sort of winning attitude gets built winning a few games now and potentially losing out on a very good player, who knows, maybe a great one...to win for the sake of winning is stupid at this point...lose, lose often, lose early, lose to Philly yet again.

I do give them credit for falling apart at the right moment...last night, just when I thought that before the home crowd they'd turn it on and s natch defeat from the jaws of defeat, they failed, and gloriously, staying defeated...good job by the sons of Stevens.

TANKING -  WITH...er...JUST TANK ALREADY!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

Guys, what energy? Bayless brings no energy. Just because he dribbles the hell out of the ball but gets nowhere with it doesn't mean he's an energy player. He can't defend at even a break even rate. Most nights he's getting killed out there. He's not a step ahead of the energy curve; he may well be behind it. He can make jumpers in bunches. Okay, but I don't really see the energy.

But 'Bayless or no Bayless' is really only a sidebar to the larger priority of getting a couple of legitimate shooting guards/small forwards for the team who can play the game as well as shoot. The team needs wing players who aren't ball-handling/play-making/floor-game challenged.

With the present group of people, the ball just doesn't move cleanly. Defenses hate the ball moving in the air; they love dribbling as a means of movement. Much easier to defend. So what does this team do? This is not a functional basketball team as presently constituted. And if players with no ball skills and no basketball IQ are retained it will remain dysfunctional.

Almost nobody on this team can pass the ball well. Green and Bass are terrible, really terrible passers. They are both also terrible movers and cutters. Awful, nearly inert. Humphries can't pass the ball and has trouble catching it. Olynyk has very good passing instincts, but as in everything else he attempts, he does it slowly, without crispness or hand and arm strength. Neither does he cut and present strongly as a target. Sullinger is a decent passer, but again slow in the execution. On the plus side, he is a great target and can catch anything

The SGs, Bradley and Bayless, are pretty similar in their consistent inability to make basic basketball passing plays like converting 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 breaks, or making entry passes. They both throw the ball all over the place, step out of bounds, get distracted. Neither ever surprises you with a move with the ball.

So as 2 guards they should be able to compensate but they both have trouble finishing at the rim - short arms, small hands.  Granted, both are shooters who can get hot. Tonight Bayless scored 23 points on 20 shots. A player known for being a streak shooter should find a streak of makes in a 20-shot sample.

But he also gave up 7 turnovers, not counting two of Rondo's when he just inexplicably turned away. Bradley can also run a streak of jumpers, but he can also throw the ball away 3 times in a row and botch a couple of fast break gimme's. 

Pressey has a good motor, sees the floor pretty well for a small guard, and wants to make the right play. Sometimes it results in spectacular results; sometimes he gets swallowed up. If he had smarter, faster, more athletic players on the floor with him, he'd look a lot better.

Rondo too. Rondo still looks slowed, altered by the surgery, but he looked more lively tonight. Still, he's made some awkward and awful turnovers this season, trying to force the ball into places where there was no space, getting caught on the way down with nowhere to pass and bailing it out to the closest guy to him. It sounds stupid to say that the ball isn't moving cleanly when your PG has 16 assists, but I'll say it anyway - it isn't.

Maybe it's Stevens' sets. I admit that they look pretty static; lots of dribble movement side to side but in a congested area. Not many clean drives or splits by PGs on P&Rs. Never see our bigs catching while moving. No clean rolls for dunks. My guess is there have been very few since Faverani stopped playing. I remember a few from Sullinger, but nothing like the parade to the rim we gave to the Wizards.

My guess is that Stevens has gone with Rondo monopolizing and holding the ball because he can't depend on anyone else passing the ball other than his two rookie bigs. Just try for a moment to put together a set that required three different Celtic players to pass the ball intelligently. Now do the same for the SA Spurs, or the GSW, or the Heat, or the Bulls. How well do Rondo, Olynyk, and Sullinger match up against Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, Leonard, Mills? Or Bogut, Lee, Iguodala, Curry, Thompson? etc.

Back to Bayless. Maybe if you could sign him as 4th or 5th guard for 2-3 million, make him run Ray Allen's old routes, and tell him that if he even attempts to make a play that isn't a shot he doesn't get paid that week, I say sign him. 

good stuff

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, you cannot be seroius.  Why do you keep baiting me about Bayless?  NOBODY, I say again, NOBODY wanted the ball in the 4th quarter.  He got a great look and the shot was halfway down.  When a player has the hot hand, sometimes, just sometimes they will miss a shot and he did.  I'll take that everyday.

If you contend that Bayless broke your heart tonight, then it's obviously personal for you.  Stop making it personal and look at it realistically.  Without Bayless, we are not even in this game.

Bayless did not break my heart.  Jeff Green broke my heart by going 1-4 in the fourth quarter.  Jared Sullinger broke my heart by going 1-6 in the fourth quarter.  If Bayless broke your heart because he missed one critical shot, what did Green and Sully do to your heart?

Bayless goes 3-6 in the fourth quarter and misses his only 3-pointer of the game (again it was halfway down) and you point to that one shot as "hero ball and another example of how Bayless breaks your heart in the end".  I consider you a knowledgeable poster but you are taking this Bayless thing just a little too personal.  Stop it please cause it's getting quite annoying.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce

I'm responding to your post saying "tonight is another example of why Bayless breaks your heart".  This has nothing to do with Houston or Dallas.

Again, from the 2:50 left in the 4th quarter mark, the only shot Bayless took (and missed) was that 3-pointer that was halfway down.

Why aren't you posting about missed layups by Pressey and Sully and a missed 6 foot shot by Jeff Green?  Why are you only critical of Bayless' final shot with .06 seconds?  Can you please explain that?

Again, this has nothing to do with games against Houston or Dallas.  Fierce, we simply disagree on Bayless' merits and value to the team.  I can respect your opinion but please don't base your arguements on your personal bias nonsense instead of facts.

If tonight showed you anything negative about Bayless' game, then there just isn't more we have to debate about because your dislike of him is obviously personal.

One day, you might say Bayless had a pretty good game!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Pete

Remember Houston at Boston and Dallas at Boston? 

He had 17 points in the game at home against Houston.  We entered the 4th quarter down 19 points so what could he possibly have done to cause us to lose that game?  I'm sure you'll bring up something, albeit invalid, to support your claim that he had something to do with us getting a beatdown at home against Houston.

In the Dallas at Boston game, he played 17 minutes and missed all of his 4 shots for 2 points but he added 8 assists.  I guess he played hero ball that night too although he was as insignificant as I was on the outcome of that game.

I just don't get your personal dislike of the guy.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I agree but Shabazz Napier or Andrew Harrison are not backup energy players. They would constitue long term rotation players, if not eventual starters. 

I would be perfectly fine with gaining one of them at the expense of losing Bayless. However, I just don't see getting those guys as reasonable selections considering our probable draft position.

Bayless reminds me of House and Nate - energy guys off the bench who provide one thing and one thing only. Never true starters, both could catch fire and carry a team for a quarter. Nate and Baby WON one NBA Finals game for us. You can't ask for anything more. 

Youre not looking for him to give you that energy for 30-35 minutes - like tonight. 

Here's the thing, Pete, Bayless as an energy guy will help the Celts win more games than they should.

We don't need that next season.

The Celts should be in the top 3 or the top 5 of the lottery next season.

It's all about player development.

Celts will need an energy guy, like Bayless, 2 or 3 years from now.

Basically what I'm saying is Bayless is not a good fit for a rebuilding team that must have a top 3 or top 5 pick in the lottery.

Celts are nowhere near of becoming a playoff team next season.

Totally disagree , Celtics will make playoffs next season after half of roster is replaced with upgrades.....7-10 new players on next seasons opening day roster. (Includes return of Pierce)

Sections
Shortcuts