Tanking Drains the soul

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

Tanking Drains the soul

Don't get me wrong. Never wanted to be middle of the pack. In DA I trust but boy this system is a downer. Makes this NBA season pretty forgettable. A race to the bottom, and at the other end a blah Pacers team and jaded Heat. The west is marginally better. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Tanking Drains the soul

It's a fair point for sure, and there needs to be a solution to the tank phenomenon. 

That said if you're a Spurs or Warriors or OKC or yes, Heat fan you're enjoying the season. 

But it's not a fun season for fans of teams that tank, even if we understand that it's necessary to do it under the current rules if we want to get back in contention....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

It's a fair point for sure, and there needs to be a solution to the tank phenomenon. 

That said if you're a Spurs or Warriors or OKC or yes, Heat fan you're enjoying the season. 

But it's not a fun season for fans of teams that tank, even if we understand that it's necessary to do it under the current rules if we want to get back in contention....

So true. Durant is lighting things up for sure. Yeah this might be the year the NBA addresses tanking and losing on purpose. That said, I'll drool a river if we get a shot at Wiggins etc!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"That said, I'll drool a river if we get a shot at Wiggins etc!"

I have this strange hunch we'll get a very nice pick from this misery, but it's only a hunch, and there are a lot of baddd teams with bad records to content with. :)

On the bright side, I think Coach Stevens has handled this season really well.

Aside from maybe a couple of games, every single game our team has played hard and often times been in contention. You can't say that about some of these teams that have raced to the bottom (e.g. Phillly and their 25 game losing streak or whatever it was) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to johconn's comment:

Don't get me wrong. Never wanted to be middle of the pack. In DA I trust but boy this system is a downer. Makes this NBA season pretty forgettable. A race to the bottom, and at the other end a blah Pacers team and jaded Heat. The west is marginally better. 

It is what it mis...I've watched every game this year...the only ray of hope for the last month was to lose and build some hope, regardless of the possible unreality of it, that we'd get a shot at a real difference maker to ease the pain of a young team in transition...that alone has made this year worthwhile...but it's a tough slog indeed...especially the last two games...talk about utter futility no matter the outcome...

I FELL YOUR PAIN!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

It has been tough watching this team lose.  I wouldn't apply the word tank to this team, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" It has been tough watching this team lose.  I wouldn't apply the word tank to this team, though."

It is tanking, but Mel says it right when he says, "tank with honor." 

Basically you trade your best players and set the team up for a losing season due to lack of personnel. That's exacty what Danny did. 

You can use a different term if you like but there's no question Danny intended for this team to lose a ton of games and get a good lottery pick. At the same time he wasn't as aggressive about dumping personnel as some teams (he insisted on getting value in any trade in return)

But when the team hit the floor, they played hard and never tried to throw a game. That's the honor part....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

"That said, I'll drool a river if we get a shot at Wiggins etc!"

I have this strange hunch we'll get a very nice pick from this misery, but it's only a hunch, and there are a lot of baddd teams with bad records to content with. :)

On the bright side, I think Coach Stevens has handled this season really well.

Aside from maybe a couple of games, every single game our team has played hard and often times been in contention. You can't say that about some of these teams that have raced to the bottom (e.g. Phillly and their 25 game losing streak or whatever it was) 

I personally don't think there is a substantial difference in the talent between the team with the worst record & the one with the 5th worst record. So, to avoid the blatant tanking by some teams like Philly, Mill etc. to be # 1 while we come along and win 2 in a row and go to # 4, 5 or 6th because Stevens doesn't know how to play to lose and I respect him for it and I agree with you that  we frequently competed until some closing minutes ( and without 1-2 superstars), I would take the 5 worst teams and then put names in a hat & draw them out 1 by 1 and they pick in that orderorderso # 5 has the same chance as #1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

It has been tough watching this team lose.  I wouldn't apply the word tank to this team, though.

This is true...they just weren't very good but they've only "quit" in one or two games all year long, and both within the last month...it's entirely understandable as well...

With the 76'rs, if you played for them there's absolutely no pressure ...if you are a good NBA player just roll the ball on the court and have fun..losing?..no problem, they want us to lose!

Being a Celtic this year meant hustling your butt off to please the GM and new head coach, hearing rumors of trades all year long until the trade deadline and then trying to either increase your offseason value by playing well, or trying to hold onto your NBA dream if you're a marginal talent....it has sucked for both players and fans...but I do really appreciate their efforts...they have nothing to be ashamed of...they did the name Celtics well and with pride...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

This is true...they just weren't very good but they've only "quit" in one or two games all year long, and both within the last month...it's entirely understandable as well...

With the 76'rs, if you played for them there's absolutely no pressure ...if you are a good NBA player just roll the ball on the court and have fun..losing?..no problem, they want us to lose!

Being a Celtic this year meant hustling your butt off to please the GM and new head coach, hearing rumors of trades all year long until the trade deadline and then trying to either increase your offseason value by playing well, or trying to hold onto your NBA dream if you're a marginal talent....it has sucked for both players and fans...but I do really appreciate their efforts...they have nothing to be ashamed of...they did the name Celtics well and with pride...

+1

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

" It has been tough watching this team lose.  I wouldn't apply the word tank to this team, though."

It is tanking, but Mel says it right when he says, "tank with honor." 

Basically you trade your best players and set the team up for a losing season due to lack of personnel. That's exacty what Danny did. 

You can use a different term if you like but there's no question Danny intended for this team to lose a ton of games and get a good lottery pick. At the same time he wasn't as aggressive about dumping personnel as some teams (he insisted on getting value in any trade in return)

But when the team hit the floor, they played hard and never tried to throw a game. That's the honor part....

I would respond with more depth if I wasn't on the way out, but I don't think Danny set this team up like that.

Sections
Shortcuts