Thank You, Doc

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Thank You, Doc

I don't often post here, but I do on the B's/Sox boards. I want to thank Doc Rivers for being part of a 4-man group of managers/coaches who brought Boston sports back into the national limelight in the 2000s. A NBA title with the Big 3 and another final that went 7 games. Doc guided a tough team of egos, and got the best out of his guys when sometimes it would seem like they were ready to quit on him. He's a heckuva coach and I liked how he talked to the press and how he proved to be a strong leader. Good luck with the Clippers, and I feel this is a loss for the franchise. I felt the same about Tito Francona.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Thank You, Doc

I loved having Doc as Celtics coach.  I am still angry with him for leaving and sending so many mixed messages.  Unless someone like Larry Bird comes back to the Celtics we will see the brand suffer for a long undetermined time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Doc was good and as much as I liked him, it was time to go. He could no longer think outside the box playing the same players, same rotations over and over and...over...I think teams already knew his gameplan because well, it was always the same..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I don't often post here, but I do on the B's/Sox boards. I want to thank Doc Rivers for being part of a 4-man group of managers/coaches who brought Boston sports back into the national limelight in the 2000s. A NBA title with the Big 3 and another final that went 7 games. Doc guided a tough team of egos, and got the best out of his guys when sometimes it would seem like they were ready to quit on him. He's a heckuva coach and I liked how he talked to the press and how he proved to be a strong leader. Good luck with the Clippers, and I feel this is a loss for the franchise. I felt the same about Tito Francona.

If Doc was such a good coach. Why then doesn't he want to stick around and show  how good he is with a rebuilding team. Heck ! any decent coach can win with allstars.Take the worst coach in the league and let him coach Miami... Bingo !!! Your only as good as your team. Great coach ?
    Put Doc on the worst team and let see if he's ( Heck of a coach) you think he is . Glad there ain't a Doc in the house !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Thanks, Doc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Thank God he's gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Thanks Doc!  Appreciate taking us from rags to riches.  All good things must past.  You gave it all while you were here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

What is taking so long to get Doc's deal done with the Clippers??

Maybe Doc is making it difficult once he found out the league isn't allowing KG to join the Clippers and cover up his coaching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

Thanks Doc!  Appreciate taking us from rags to riches.  All good things must past.  You gave it all while you were here.

Thanks Doc for overtiring your players, only playing young players when injury or lack of depth forced you to and you had no other choice to develop them and give them meaningful minutes, for never having players work on their core fundamentals that were missing from their games (rondo's ft, boxing out, team rebounding), and for letting paul ball rule the 4th quarter long past it being effective when team ball movement worked the first 3 quarters, and for bailing once the window of competing was done and you'd actually be forced to coach people. To one of the overrated coaches in the game who was shown the door in orlando, here's to the 1st rounder we fleeced from the clippers. Good luck in LA!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

hopefully the next coach won't end every pregame with "oh thanks."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:

If Doc was such a good coach. Why then doesn't he want to stick around and show  how good he is with a rebuilding team. Heck ! any decent coach can win with allstars.Take the worst coach in the league and let him coach Miami... Bingo !!! Your only as good as your team. Great coach ?
    Put Doc on the worst team and let see if he's ( Heck of a coach) you think he is . Glad there ain't a Doc in the house !!!

I want to thank Doc for remembering what competitive basketball is like.  For the many who've forgotten, they are about to be reminded over the next few years when we turn into the Timberwolves, the Kings, the Hornets, the Suns, and others who think that losing is the way to a championship.  As the Spurs and Heat have shown - the real way to winning is free agents, trades, and rebuilding as you play.   The Heat, Dallas, Celtics, and Lakers have all won championships in recent years.  Which of them got there by losing for a bunch of years and counting on the draft to build them up vs which ones got there via free agency, trades, and building while they continued to be competitive? 

Thanks, Doc.  I, for one, will miss your competitiveness.   Unlike some posters here, I was with you when you asked Danny to get some more talent around Rondo, Pierce, and KG rather than just throwing in the towel and hoping we get another winner in another 20 years!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

In   Unlike some posters here, I was with you when you asked Danny to get some more talent around Rondo, Pierce, and KG rather than just throwing in the towel and hoping we get another winner in another 20 years!!!

And what did Danny say?

Pud

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bahstunguy. Show bahstunguy's posts

Doc you were quick to say that you didn't like the way that Ray Allen left. Leaving for less money. 

Well Doc Ray looks awful classy compared to you right now.

You told us that you were a Celtic. A true Celtic doesn't quit when the going gets tough.

You never, ever paid any attention to our draft picks or rookies. What a waste of talent. A coach is supposed to help develop players by playing them but you were in it for the veterans ala the Big Three in Miami. Rookies were beneath you. 

Hopefully we'll get a coach who fully understands his job description and cares about developing a young team. Year after year I watched our draft and was excited to see how our picks would turn out.

They turned out getting splinters at the end of the bench. Rookies don't win Championships.It was that simple.

Have fun in LaLa land. Play a lot of golf.

Puhleeze do us a favor and tell it like it is during the press conference. Don't give us the same load of you know what that you've been giving us for years.

My only regret is that Rajon didn't get a chance to smack the chicklets out of your mouth.

Guten Bye and don't come back ! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Thanks for your great tribute, it's been an amazing run for Boston sports and Rivers was a key part of it. 

Thanks for blasting through the cynicism here for such a tribute.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Yeah, doc did a good job, but I think this is a good change for everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

For all those criticizing doc, do you really think the Stephen A. Smith manufactured the Doc trade to LA out of thin air?  When did he first announce that?  Did Doc feed him the hint?

And if he is such a poor coach, why are the Clippers paying him that kind of money and surrendering a 1st. round pick.  Before you say Chris Paul, just think that Denver was offering a 1st. as well.  And why is Chris Paul insisting on getting Doc as a coach, why does KG say he only wants to play for Doc, and so on.

I appreciate what Doc did here.  He chose winning above all else.  Now that the Celts are chosing the lottery way, I am OK that he is moving on.

I hope that the Celts will be able to pull a San Antonio, get a great draft pick and bounce back quickly.  I am not looking forward to a Ty Corbin / Keith Smart coaching era and Utah Jazz / Milwaukee Bucks level goals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

How could you get more talent when all you have is the MLE?

No quality big man was available for the 5m MLE.

Fierce, why reason?  Folks here are not interested in reasoning.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

For all those criticizing doc, do you really think the Stephen A. Smith manufactured the Doc trade to LA out of thin air?  When did he first announce that?  Did Doc feed him the hint?

And if he is such a poor coach, why are the Clippers paying him that kind of money and surrendering a 1st. round pick.  Before you say Chris Paul, just think that Denver was offering a 1st. as well.  And why is Chris Paul insisting on getting Doc as a coach, why does KG say he only wants to play for Doc, and so on.

I appreciate what Doc did here.  He chose winning above all else.  Now that the Celts are chosing the lottery way, I am OK that he is moving on.

I hope that the Celts will be able to pull a San Antonio, get a great draft pick and bounce back quickly.  I am not looking forward to a Ty Corbin / Keith Smart coaching era and Utah Jazz / Milwaukee Bucks level goals.

Doc can take existing players with talent and draw up offensive sets to help them be successful. He won't develop anyone unless he's forced to due to either lack of depth or necessity. Both his stints here and in orlando have shown that. He has no patience to teach finer points. He's decent with x's and o's. He's a veteran's coach and players coach and vets enjoy playing for him. That's why teams with vets want him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to jrmccook's comment:

Doc can take existing players with talent and draw up offensive sets to help them be successful. He won't develop anyone unless he's forced to due to either lack of depth or necessity. Both his stints here and in orlando have shown that. He has no patience to teach finer points. He's decent with x's and o's. He's a veteran's coach and players coach and vets enjoy playing for him. That's why teams with vets want him.

So?  Does that diminish his accomplishments here?  What are you going to remember him for?  Do you think that ANY coach would have accomplished as much?

Yes, it is time to move on.  He realizes that and so do others.  But many here seem very bitter and are holding Doc responsible for this change.

Would you rather keep Doc and not have that 1st. round pick?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

I think most coaches could have taken Ray Allen, KG, Pierce and the rest and won a title or two as long as you could keep them happy and get them to share the ball and play defense. Half the coaches in the league could have won a title with them. I just think he's overrated and we're lucky to have gotten a first for a rah rah coach who refused to develop talent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to jrmccook's comment:

I think most coaches could have taken Ray Allen, KG, Pierce and the rest and won a title or two as long as you could keep them happy and get them to share the ball and play defense. Half the coaches in the league could have won a title with them. I just think he's overrated and we're lucky to have gotten a first for a rah rah coach who refused to develop talent.

Why develop it when you can buy it right off the shelf, thinks doc. "DA... go out and get me somemore FA talent."

Thinks DA.... Hmmmmm, the more talent I get you, the less you use it. Besides, when we get to the heavy lift rebuild  phase.... I wonder if you're going to jump shi..... naw.... you wouldn't do me that way. No way!

Smiles doc...... Way!

Pud

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts