Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby

Said it before, I'll say it again. 

6'9 cannot dunk nor rebound.  Take care Glen.  Loved the winning jumper against Orlando, but we need a PF that can back up KG and rebound.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Big Baby will get around 3 to 4 years at 6 mill per, Good for him and good for us he will be gone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby:
    In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : This post isn't about Rondo.  It's about Davis.  The fact that you wrote another 5 paragraphs about how Doc river's "hates" Davis and how Rondo ruined everything once again shows that you have no ability to be reasonable in this matter.  It is also probable that you not only have a t-shirt but a poster as well. Especially since you totally flipped out and  called me a freak, a bozo and a loser.  Dude I am seriously sorry if I made you cry.  It's okay.  It really is. Like I said.  Get some perspective and stop making excuses for your favorite player and blaming everyone else. Davis has an okay game except for the fact that he can't rebound.  He isn't special.  Just because you adore him doesn't make it any different for the rest of us.   I will say thanks  to Davis though.  It was fun watching him while he was here.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

let me clarify- within the realm of basketball knowledge, you are a freak, bozo and loser, but a zero most of all.  what i brought to the post was how doc rivers screwed up with davis, hypocrisy with measuring other people's "mistakes" vs. davis' that were so disgustingly over-magnified it was ridiculous.  and a few other things like rotation mgt, as it pertained to davis and others.

and you came back with... nothing.  not surprising.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : That's a valid point and my main criticism of Doc ... but rather than attacking me or others over Davis' lack of leaping/rebounding ability by referring to us as "fat" haters you could just accept his one flaw (whether related to athleticism or frame size) and agree that the C's need more. For instance ... Humphries is about the same size (6'9"), a year older, admittedly lighter and makes the same salary ($3.2M vs $3.3M) but his numbers are much better ... Why should the C's resign Davis when they can pursue a player like this? Sure they may give up something in the way of hustle or defensive prowess in taking charges but overall the rebounding and scoring far outweighs those other intangibles ... wouldn't you agree?
    Posted by Mployee8

Kris Humphries is a starter this season. What makes you think he's willing to sign with Boston just to become a backup again?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : Look it up ... besides, I didn't say he would sign with us or that we would pursue him. Just that the two players were quite similar and that the C's would be better served with a player like him over resigning Davis for $5-6M if that's what it takes to keep him. Now go talk with your boy Sybil ... Later.
    Posted by Mployee8

Glen Davis beat your man Anthony Tolliver. That's why you don't want the Celtics re-signing Davis. You're such a loser! LOL

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Another perspective is that the organization is letting these sentiments play out to keep his market value down.  Remember all the funk going on around Rondo's contract status and whether he was a max guy or not.  This could all be market value driven.  Remember after the great playoff run, there was still no market for Glen to the level that he sort for money and minutes he wants.  Look team-by-team, I think Carl Landry is ahead of him and he only makes $3.0MM, so I think the Celtics have a great chance of resigning him.  Now the question is does he lock into a long-term deal or do the same two-year stints to prove his worth he did in college.   This guy knows our complex defense schemes and I just see another Celtic leaving and bringing moxy to another team that we trained and developed.  All Tony Allen needed was a HUG and Danny got cute in gamesmanship and lost, are we going to split hairs with Glen.  KG is going to lose his mind, if he has to get into training camp and train a bunch of new people and hope that JO, Shaq remain healthy.   The facts are we are going to have JO next year, Probably even Shaq, even Kristic....  you need Baby.... either give Von Wafer a chance to team with Delonte in the backcourt or cut him...  get a Lasme or Chirs Johnson and call it a day.  The bottom line is we have to GIVE Green minutes to see if this is the part of the future.  You cannot stack your team and then say we don't have minutes.   Shaq or JO to start with Garnett, Pierce, Allen, and Rondo....  then Build your bench....Kristic, Davis, Green, Wafer, and West....  People forget when we talk about the season and the first seed...  West and JO was hurt for most of the season; and Kristic and Green came in midyear...  I think the answer for the Celtics is to SIGN THEIR own FREE AGENTS.   And get in guys that you trust if injuries persist....  I think the fact that we did not use Sasha, Wafer....  etc down the stretch is criminal....  We forgot the 21 points Leon Powe got in a game against the Lakers; what Shreck and Donkey brought in a couple of games....   these guys brought energy and swagger when the Celtics got into a lull...  You just cannot empty your bench and bring in boring "charater guys" and think the swagger is going to be there....  we can shuffle all the statistics we want on Perk...  that snarl brought swagger...  
    Posted by ShepherdCall
      Best post I have read in a while.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : let me clarify- within the realm of basketball knowledge, you are a freak, bozo and loser, but a zero most of all.  what i brought to the post was how doc rivers screwed up with davis, hypocrisy with measuring other people's "mistakes" vs. davis' that were so disgustingly over-magnified it was ridiculous.  and a few other things like rotation mgt, as it pertained to davis and others. and you came back with... nothing.  not surprising.
    Posted by aciemvp

What do I need to come up with? I never said that Davis wasn't any good.  The only thing I was commenting on was the fact that you have enormous crush on Davis which blinds you to facts and makes you become quite emotional.  Which then you confirmed by having one of the all time biggest hissy fits I have ever seen. I mean you actually sat down at your computer and freaked out and now you come back and blame me for not sinking to your level?

Get a grip.

I

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Davis was in the running for 6th man and he was at the top of the league taking charges, he played out of position a lot, he improved his scoring and shot selection a lot, he still has a lot of room for improvement.  Replace him for 2 million, do it if you can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Davis was in the running for 6th man and he was at the top of the league taking charges, he played out of position a lot, he improved his scoring and shot selection a lot, he still has a lot of room for improvement.  Replace him for 2 million, do it if you can.
    Posted by maryngary

If Davis wanted to come back for 2 million you do it in a heartbeat.  He wants starters money.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : If Davis wanted to come back for 2 million you do it in a heartbeat.  He wants starters money.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I agree that Glen Davis believes he should be a starter and wants to get paid accordingly.  The Celtics are not going to do this, but maybe another team will. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : If Davis wanted to come back for 2 million you do it in a heartbeat.  He wants starters money.
    Posted by snakeoil123

what he wants and what he gets may be different things.  now remember, i have a crush on davis so what i say is totally jaded.

but call me silly, coming into a work stoppage, with a lower salary cap coming out the other end, "starter money" for davis might be a lot closer to what he's made recently than some magical number that induces euphoria.

and teams may rightly have questions about davis' playoff performance.  i am confident that the celts trainers know all about how davis' knee was doing during the playoffs. 

and they are likely staying in touch with him now.

davis has done a nice job of conditioning himself as a guy who used to be fat.  however, he could do better as evidenced by his loss of conditioning (looked to me like he gained weight) once he got injured with the knee.

we could still be the beneficiary of another season of davis' service if it is cheap.  if the guy really got a diet that was 1000% conducive to the best condition possible, i think he could have a resurgence and then lookat thatt, kg is retiring and maybe davis is starter / 6th man of the future for this team for a contract's worth of service.

that's how it could easily play out coming off this work stoppage if there isn't interest in davis as a starter somewhere else.  teams are going to be stingy with the money and i am sure there will be doubt about a "fat" guy's conditioning coming off a work stoppage, etc etc etc.

now is the time for davis to go the last ten yards about getting fit.  diet diet diet.  he's obviously done the conditioning work asked of him and then some.

how's that for a davis crusher assessing things?  i think it could easily go down like that.  not a certainty but a possibility.  the monkey wrench in the machine is doc rivers the jerk in my book.  he has been the only one riding down davis to the press on this team.  if davis was really a "problem" like doc thinks then these vets would not put up with him.  but they all seem to have liked him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Give me Doc Rivers over Big Baby anytime. Big Baby has a lot to prove in this league still. Whether you like Doc or not, he's attractive to the kinds of free agents Boston will be hoping to sign. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Interesting point of view, Acie.  I like BBD.  I hope we resign him at a reasonable price.  However, I think Doc was TOO easy on him and not too hard as you believe.  Doc was his supporter for TOO long in my opinion.  If you take a poll of 100 people on this chat board, I bet 95 of us were frustrated with BBD in the last 1/3 of the season and into the playoffs.  He shot too much and focused on his offense rather than the defense and rebounding he did early in the season.  Unless he was injured (and maybe he was but we didn't know it), he fell off in performance significantly.

Doc's response? - he kept playing him and had faith in him.  I wish he has sat BBD's butt much earlier.  BBD was too focused on scoring to get a new contract (as Doc pointed out).  Even BBD siad the contract was on his mind but he tried to play through it.  

So, Doc was honest with him!  So what?  That's why players like Doc...he doesn't play games.  He's honest with them and hard on them.  They either become better players or they wilt.  Davis is what he is because Doc developed this 2nd round pick into a darn good 6th man!  He owes the Celtics for sticking with him. 

Doc shouldn't coddle him.  Doc and Danny will try to retain him but not at any price.  They should push him hard to improve and if he can't take it - get out of town!  I hope he stays.  I think he can take it.  But, if he can't or if he gets a big offer from some one else, so be it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Interesting point of view, Acie.  I like BBD.  I hope we resign him at a reasonable price.  However, I think Doc was TOO easy on him and not too hard as you believe.  Doc was his supporter for TOO long in my opinion.  If you take a poll of 100 people on this chat board, I bet 95 of us were frustrated with BBD in the last 1/3 of the season and into the playoffs.  He shot too much and focused on his offense rather than the defense and rebounding he did early in the season.  Unless he was injured (and maybe he was but we didn't know it), he fell off in performance significantly. Doc's response? - he kept playing him and had faith in him.  I wish he has sat BBD's butt much earlier.  BBD was too focused on scoring to get a new contract (as Doc pointed out).  Even BBD siad the contract was on his mind but he tried to play through it.   So, Doc was honest with him!  So what?  That's why players like Doc...he doesn't play games.  He's honest with them and hard on them.  They either become better players or they wilt.  Davis is what he is because Doc developed this 2nd round pick into a darn good 6th man!  He owes the Celtics for sticking with him.  Doc shouldn't coddle him.  Doc and Danny will try to retain him but not at any price.  They should push him hard to improve and if he can't take it - get out of town!  I hope he stays.  I think he can take it.  But, if he can't or if he gets a big offer from some one else, so be it!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

i think you missed his whole injury issue.  he was visibly hobbled for quite some time before he dunked the ball in a game and then grabbed his knee and then he was out for just over a week resting it.  the injury was bothering him for about a month before that and surely 1 week off was not enough to cure it.

the better question is how did he get it- some sort of event led to it or is his body betraying him?  i'm sure the trainers know.  i vaguely remember there being some sort of event that led him to the injury.

soooo, he was injured.

with regard to his shooting, i don't know.... the guy was really shooting the ball great until the patellar tendon issue startied wearing on him.  davis WAS the scoring punch in the second unit, particularly after von wafer got hurt and/or showed the bench for good by doc.  davis had hit all of those shots he was taking.

did doc stick with him for too long?  well maybe he did.  but i wouldn't say it was for love of davis but more for fear of blowing up jerlame o'neal's precarious knees with too many minutes.

and you could also argue that doc used too little krstic and i wouldn't disagree with you.  and obviously doc ignored murphy.  if you look at the roster, davis was the only 4 to spell KG until we got green, who is a tweener 3/4.  could the celts have gotten away with green at the 4 and any one of their 5's?  who knows.  past a certain point, i think some experimentation was in order, that's for sure. 

like starting in the knicks series when it was obvious that davis didn't have it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : i think you missed his whole injury issue.  he was visibly hobbled for quite some time before he dunked the ball in a game and then grabbed his knee and then he was out for just over a week resting it.  the injury was bothering him for about a month before that and surely 1 week off was not enough to cure it. the better question is how did he get it- some sort of event led to it or is his body betraying him?  i'm sure the trainers know.  i vaguely remember there being some sort of event that led him to the injury. soooo, he was injured. with regard to his shooting, i don't know.... the guy was really shooting the ball great until the patellar tendon issue startied wearing on him.  davis WAS the scoring punch in the second unit, particularly after von wafer got hurt and/or showed the bench for good by doc.  davis had hit all of those shots he was taking. did doc stick with him for too long?  well maybe he did.  but i wouldn't say it was for love of davis but more for fear of blowing up jerlame o'neal's precarious knees with too many minutes. and you could also argue that doc used too little krstic and i wouldn't disagree with you.  and obviously doc ignored murphy.  if you look at the roster, davis was the only 4 to spell KG until we got green, who is a tweener 3/4.  could the celts have gotten away with green at the 4 and any one of their 5's?  who knows.  past a certain point, i think some experimentation was in order, that's for sure.  like starting in the knicks series when it was obvious that davis didn't have it.
    Posted by aciemvp

So Doc is to blame for hurting BBD's career by playing him.  Got it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Glen Davis Big Baby : So Doc is to blame for hurting BBD's career by playing him.  Got it.
    Posted by snakeoil123

nummnuts, celtsfan4life brought that point up, not me.  nothing about doc ruining davis.  the comment was all about doc being too loyal to davis via continuing to play him when there was obviously something awry.  my comment was that my perception was doc was afraid to blow up jerlame's minutes by giving him more time and obviously doc ignored krstic and murphy nearly totally in the playoffs.

and i therefore agreed with celtsfan4life that maybe the c's should have looked elsewhere after it was apparent that davis was stinko and totally off his game. 

but a nice(?) yet sloppy try to stuff words in my mouth.  next time maybe a little more creativity in your contrivedness might bring you further. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Let's be clear.  I did not say Doc was hurting BBD's career by playing him too much.  Acie - I was challenging your notion that Doc did not stick by BBD and that Doc was hurting BBD.  I was clear in stating that its the opposite - Doc stuck by him longer than we'd all like and supported BBD more than we'd like.  

To be clear, I like BBD.  I hope we keep him (at a reasonable price).  But, I don't think Doc hurt him AT ALL.  I think he's what he is because Doc developed him AND Doc stuck by him by playing him.  BBD himself made the mistake of focusing too much on his offense....forgetting that his value is in defense and rebounding and hustle.  Yes, he can add offense when he's on.....BUT HE CANNOT BECOME THE GUY WHO TRIES TO SHOOT TOO MANY JUMPERS AND POST UP TOO MANY PEOPLE!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Let's be clear.  I did not say Doc was hurting BBD's career by playing him too much.  Acie - I was challenging your notion that Doc did not stick by BBD and that Doc was hurting BBD.  I was clear in stating that its the opposite - Doc stuck by him longer than we'd all like and supported BBD more than we'd like.   To be clear, I like BBD.  I hope we keep him (at a reasonable price).  But, I don't think Doc hurt him AT ALL.  I think he's what he is because Doc developed him AND Doc stuck by him by playing him.  BBD himself made the mistake of focusing too much on his offense....forgetting that his value is in defense and rebounding and hustle.  Yes, he can add offense when he's on.....BUT HE CANNOT BECOME THE GUY WHO TRIES TO SHOOT TOO MANY JUMPERS AND POST UP TOO MANY PEOPLE!!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

i think we're both clear- snake oil was trying to peddle some of his... snake oil.

i can see your point totally- but wonder aloud if doc felt he had any other options.  could a lineup w/ green at the 4 for 20 mins a game hold a lead?  and it should be able to but doc did a lousy job integrating green, who i thought was just hitting a stride and consistency when we were shown the door. 

on the same line of thinking, doc had iced out troy murphy who could have had something of value to offer for the 4 position once it was apparent that davis was just not there.  so i think doc's minute loyalty to davis was not an emotional bond but a corner that doc painted himself into by not playing and integrating others adquately.

but i so stand by my assertion that over the last three years, doc has deeply hurt the feelings of this kid by going to the press with negative sound bites about him that were totally unnecessary and i dare say unprofessional of doc.

off hand i can't name another coach who has crapped on a 100% hustle guy as much as doc has to davis.  when davis broke his finger, the professional thing to do would be saying: it's being handled in-house.  but doc couldn't do that.  usually when a team executive or coach craps on a player it's a latrine sprewell or rod strickland type of character that's getting shot across the nose to try to straighten them up.  no matter what doc says, i can't see davis as one of those trouble maker guys, he's one of the more selfless players i've seen in a while- a breath of fresh air in a league of candy a$$ers who don't want to scuff themselves up hustling after a ball.

even for the acts of utmost idiocy of DWI and other actual ARRESTS, teams just don't sell out their players to the press like doc has time after time with davis.  it's unprecedented treatment that has been strictly reserved for glen davis, and it's wrong and always will be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Acie - getting away from Snake oil's assertions as you appropriately do.....

1. We just have to agree to disagree on Murphy.  I think he was given a chance and failed miserably.  He took something like 6 or 7 games to score a basket.  he has one game where he scored more than 6 points, I believe and he showed he was slow on the court (from what I could see).   You and i don't see practice, but I'd bet money that he didn't pick up the plays on offense nor defense and that's why he couldn't get in the game.  I just think Murphy is a 100% waste of time and no matter what - he wasn't going to make one bit of difference in the series.  Sorry, just my point of view (and I've been consistently showing his stats in NJ as well as Boston - with and without minutes.....he accomplishes nothing....shooting 17% from 3 point land and 32% from the floor overall, 0.1 blocks per game and something like 3 rebounds).

2. Doc made positive and negative comments about BBD.  I's seen Phil Jackson do it with Kobe and others.  I've seen Pop do it with Tony and Manu.  Can't agree with you that Doc is the only coach to call out his players.  Generally (as a coach at a much lower level), if a player isn't listening when you tell him privately, you reach out in any way you can.  BBD started the year by calling out his own coach saying "...keeps changing my role.  i guess I'll have to figure it out one more time".  That's a helluva way to start the pre-season.   BBD was playing fantastic and then he either...put on weight, got hurt, started getting happy with his scoring and did too much shooting......or all of the above.  I think the contract issue was on his mind and he got distracted.  

In the end, I keep saying - I like this guy.  I think he brings fire and energy.  if he would just stay within the role the coach gave him he'd succeed like he was in the beginning of the year.  But he hurt the team by getting out of his role rather than doing what the coach asked him to do.  If he returns to form with a new contract/security - he'll be fine.  If not, I'll root for him on his next team.  he's a hustler and I love that in him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Were we not here 2 years ago? - Baby was a RFA, expected to be paid big $$$ because of his performance in the playoffs and he got, what 2 serious offers?

Baby is never going to make the $$$ he wants in the league because at the end of the day he is an undersized power forward who is too short to consistently guard Cs PFs and too slow to guard SFs. 

I am very happy to keep him at the right price.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Acie - getting away from Snake oil's assertions as you appropriately do..... 1. We just have to agree to disagree on Murphy.  I think he was given a chance and failed miserably.  He took something like 6 or 7 games to score a basket.  he has one game where he scored more than 6 points, I believe and he showed he was slow on the court (from what I could see).   You and i don't see practice, but I'd bet money that he didn't pick up the plays on offense nor defense and that's why he couldn't get in the game.  I just think Murphy is a 100% waste of time and no matter what - he wasn't going to make one bit of difference in the series.  Sorry, just my point of view (and I've been consistently showing his stats in NJ as well as Boston - with and without minutes.....he accomplishes nothing....shooting 17% from 3 point land and 32% from the floor overall, 0.1 blocks per game and something like 3 rebounds). 2. Doc made positive and negative comments about BBD.  I's seen Phil Jackson do it with Kobe and others.  I've seen Pop do it with Tony and Manu.  Can't agree with you that Doc is the only coach to call out his players.  Generally (as a coach at a much lower level), if a player isn't listening when you tell him privately, you reach out in any way you can.  BBD started the year by calling out his own coach saying "...keeps changing my role.  i guess I'll have to figure it out one more time".  That's a helluva way to start the pre-season.   BBD was playing fantastic and then he either...put on weight, got hurt, started getting happy with his scoring and did too much shooting......or all of the above.  I think the contract issue was on his mind and he got distracted.   In the end, I keep saying - I like this guy.  I think he brings fire and energy.  if he would just stay within the role the coach gave him he'd succeed like he was in the beginning of the year.  But he hurt the team by getting out of his role rather than doing what the coach asked him to do.  If he returns to form with a new contract/security - he'll be fine.  If not, I'll root for him on his next team.  he's a hustler and I love that in him.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Points taken.  I expected Murphy to be disgustingly rusty- he'd been off the court, including even PRACTICE court for months when the c's got him.  I thought he showed flashes of being competent after he was with us for a while.  Maybe he woudln't have done much.  Wouldn't have hurt to throw him in at the end of a half or something and see what he had.

I understand the "calling out" thing that coaches do.  And I think it's different than what Doc did with Davis multiple times.  I think it was more "running a guy down" than calling him out.  And nobody has explained why if Davis was worth " calling out " then why not sheed for his exponentially worse conduct detrimental to the team? 

Maybe I'm an idiot and Doc is a real wizard of the psychological arena and the love/hate thing will rope davis back in for another contract.  at the current rate of attrition at the 5 and the easily predictable problems for jerlame o'neal next year, we need help at the 5 and can't pay a lot for it.  maybe davis comes back for 3 or 4 mill again.  who knows.

i can't see a lot of teams coming knocking after the egg he laid in the playoffs

Sections
Shortcuts