The Auerbach Coaching Tree

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree:
    In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : Phil Jackson is the only NBA coach to ever have a championship ring fitted for his toe. Red, could not even fill all of his fingers.
    Posted by koberulz

Thumbs are not fingers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Add Paul Westphal to the Aurebach Coaching Tree.
    Posted by davidap

Thank you!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

You can also add Sam Vincent, who briefly served as head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I found four more third-generation Auerbachians: Don Nelson coached Mike Dunleavy (long-time head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers, among others), Scott Skiles (long-time head coach of the Phoenix Suns, Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks), Quinn Buckner (head coach of the Dallas Mavericks for a year), Brian Winters (head coach of the Vancouver Grizzlies for a year and half and the Golden State Warriors for half a season), and Bob Lanier (head coach of the Golden State Warriors for half a season).

I also have a second fourth-generation Auerbachian to join Mark Jackson. Scott Skiles coached Vinny Del Negro (head coach of the Bulls and now Clippers) in his last season as a player.

That's six more guys and I'm not even done looking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Auerbach Head Coaching Tree (Updated)

First Generation: Red Auerbach.

Second Generation: Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Satch Sanders, Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn, KC Jones, Don Nelson.

Third Generation: ML Carr, Chris Ford, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, Paul Westphal, Rick Carlisle, Sam Vincent.

If we include non-Celtic players, add the following names to the third generation of coaches: Mike Dunleavy, Scott Skiles, Quinn Buckner, Brian Winters, Bob Lanier.

Fourth Generation: Mark Jackson, Vinny Del Negro.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to The Auerbach Coaching Tree:
    Now in its' second generation, the Red Auerbach Coaching Tree is going strong.  Part of being a great coach, as we all know, is how many proteges you produce.  Wooden, Knight, Coach K and Pitino have all had many Assistants become Head Coaches.  None can compare with Red: Let me know if I've missed anyone, (played for or drafted by Red) and I will update it.  Title winners are in Bold:                                            Auerbach Russell                             Cousy              Sanders          Sharman Heinsohn                          KC Jones          Nelson Next line - Carr, Ford, Bird, McHale, Ainge, Cowens, Silas,Westphal, Carlisle No one else comes close!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Unlike Wooden, Knight,Coach K, and Pitino, Red, while the coach of the Celtics, has never had an assistant coach. Thus he has not had any assistant Proteges become a head coach. 

Seems

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good point Seems but, then again, these guys learned from Red as players....they then passed the knowledge on....and Red did basically build the team into a winner...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Auerbach Head Coaching Tree (Updated) First Generation: Red Auerbach. Second Generation: Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Satch Sanders, Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn, KC Jones, Don Nelson. Third Generation: ML Carr, Chris Ford, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, Paul Westphal, Rick Carlisle, Sam Vincent. If we include non-Celtic players, add the following names to the third generation of coaches: Mike Dunleavy, Scott Skiles, Quinn Buckner, Brian Winters, Bob Lanier. Fourth Generation: Mark Jackson, Vinny Del Negro.
    Posted by davidap

I'll include Buckner and Vincent, but my tree is only for those who played for or were drafted by Red.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Good point Seems but, then again, these guys learned from Red as players....they then passed to knowledge on....and Red did basically build the team into a winner...
    Posted by Duke4

Duke
    As players I am sure that they were all well schooled by Red in the various phases of the game. From all accounts, he had a great basketball mind.  I was just pointing out the inaccuracy of the article. I could have added the fact that Ainge,Carlisle,Carr,Cowens,Bird,Ford and Silas never played for Red.
    Seems

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : Duke As players I am sure that they were all well schooled by Red in the various phases of the game. From all accounts, he had a great basketball mind.  I was just pointing out the inaccuracy of the article. I could have added the fact that Ainge,Carlisle,Carr,Cowens,Bird,Ford and Silas never played for Red. Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe

What article?  This is off the top of my head.  I said many great coaches have proteges.  I listed some college coaches.  Then I said none compare with Red.  I know he never had any assistants, that's not the point.  The point is, compared to Phil or Pop, or any of the other "greats", there is no comparison on this topic!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : What article?  This is off the top of my head.  I said many great coaches have proteges.  I listed some college coaches.  Then I said none compare with Red.  I know he never had any assistants, that's not the point.  The point is, compared to Phil or Pop, or any of the other "greats", there is no comparison on this topic!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

"Part of being a great coach, as we all know, is how many proteges you produce.  Wooden, Knight, Coach K and Pitino have all had many Assistants become Head Coaches.  None can compare with Red"

You made a direct comparison between Red  and the above mentioned coaches.
    I wonder if you can give the number of assistant coaches, that the above mentioned coaches, had go on to become head coaches?.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree :    "Part of being a great coach, as we all know, is how many proteges you produce.  Wooden, Knight, Coach K and Pitino have all had many Assistants become Head Coaches.  None can compare with Red" You made a direct comparison between Red  and the above mentioned coaches. I wonder if you can give the number of assistant coaches, that the above mentioned coaches, had go on to become head coaches?.
    Posted by SeemsToMe

NOPE, not without looking it up!  What is your problem with this?  Russ was NOT a protege of Red?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : NOPE, not without looking it up!  What is your problem with this?  Russ was NOT a protege of Red?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

You produce numbers for Red but offer none for those that you claim that he is better than. To make your claim valid, should'nt you present the numbers for those that you make a comparison with?.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : You produce numbers for Red but offer none for those that you claim that he is better than. To make your claim valid, should'nt you present the numbers for those that you make a comparison with?.
    Posted by SeemsToMe

Have NO idea what you are talking about.  Don't care how many proteges of Rick Pitino are coaching now.  This is about Red Auerbach........and my  claim he is the greatest pro coach of al-time.....how many proteges does Phil have - Rambis?

THAT was my point - I'm not doing a ton of research for you, if you don't like my thread, don't respond to it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : Have NO idea what you are talking about.  Don't care how many proteges of Rick Pitino are coaching now.  This is about Red Auerbach........and my  claim he is the greatest pro coach of al-time.....how many proteges does Phil have - Rambis? THAT was my point - I'm not doing a ton of research for you, if you don't like my thread, don't respond to it!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Great answer Red.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Red = hedley, who was supposedly leaving the board and only coming back on rare occasions. I guess rare occasions means on a daily basis. Surprised

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree : Great answer Red.
    Posted by SeemsToMe

Thanks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

Bill Walsh and Bill Belicheck are both considered the geniuses of their respective era.  Both have won 3 SBs, although Walsh never lost one and Belicheck has.  Walsh's coaching tree has many more branches.  Yet, if Belicheck wins another one, I doubt any Patriots fans would concede Walsh is better based on his coaching tree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

BIn Response to Re: The Auerbach Coaching Tree:
    Bill Walsh and Bill Belicheck are both considered the geniuses of their respective era.  Both have won 3 SBs, although Walsh never lost one and Belicheck has.  Walsh's coaching tree has many more branches.  Yet, if Belicheck wins another one, I doubt any Patriots fans would concede Walsh is better based on his coaching tree.
    Posted by ItsNot1966anymor

Big Pats fan here - Walsh is better - anything else - how about a Bruins collapse.
    '

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In Response to The Auerbach Coaching Tree:
    Now in its' second generation, the Red Auerbach Coaching Tree is going strong.  Part of being a great coach, as we all know, is how many proteges you produce.  Wooden, Knight, Coach K and Pitino have all had many Assistants become Head Coaches.  None can compare with Red: Let me know if I've missed anyone, (played for or drafted by Red) and I will update it.  Title winners are in Bold:                                            Auerbach Russell                             Cousy              Sanders          Sharman Heinsohn                          KC Jones          Nelson Next line - Carr, Ford, Bird, McHale, Ainge, Cowens, Silas,Westphal,Buckner, Vincent, Carlisle No one else comes close!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

You forgot the great Georgetown coach John Thompson if you want to extend it to NCAA coaches.

Sections
Shortcuts