The Captain and KG Coming Home!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The Captain and KG Coming Home!

I am really looking forward to the game tonight! I am expecting allot of emotion with certain players and the fans!

Great night to show NBA players what sets the Celtics apart from all other franchises! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: The Captain and KG Coming Home!

Former Celtics Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce talk about their return to Boston

Updated: January 25, 2014 9:22 PM
    By LAURA ALBANESE  laura.albanese@newsday.com

Boston Celtics power forward Kevin Garnett, left, and

Photo credit: AP | Boston Celtics power forward Kevin Garnett, left, and teammate Paul Pierce walk up court against the Atlanta Hawks during Game 3 of an NBA first-round playoff series in Boston. (May 4, 2012)

Kevin Garnett hasn't forgotten life with the Boston Celtics -- winning the NBA championship in 2008, the time Paul Pierce played with the flu after taking in three IVs, and, simply, "the ceiling in LA."

"Y'all have no idea what I'm even talking about . . . and there are things I don't want to share for obvious reasons, but there are certain things that stand out that I will never forget," he said after the Nets' win over the Mavericks on Friday. "Boston was good to me."

Garnett and Pierce return to Boston Sunday night for the first time since being traded to the Nets during the offseason. Both spoke nostalgically about their old team and candidly about what they expect to be a very emotional night.

"I talked to [Celtics team travel manager and equipment manager] Johnny Joe [Friday] and told him I'd probably sit in the equipment room like I always used to do," said Pierce, whose 15-year tenure coincided with some of the lowest and highest points in team history. "It's going to be a lot of emotions. You play your whole life there, you won a championship there. And the first time coming there, I never thought it would happen, you know?"

The Nets have won nine of their last 10 and the Celtics are in the throes of an abysmal swoon. They have lost 13 of 15 -- a direct result of the rebuilding that sent Pierce and Garnett southbound and, Pierce said, the fact that they're "still trying to find their identity, find their core, so they can get back on top."

If it sounds as if he's still answering for the Celtics, it's probably because those deeply ingrained habits die hard.

Being a visitor in his old home "is going to be weird," Pierce said. "[But] it's going to be a fun time, going there and seeing some of the guys I played with, seeing some of those season-ticket holders, seeing all the people that have been there."

One thing neither prospective Hall of Famer is worried about is the fan reaction. Garnett, who spent six seasons with the Celtics, spoke confidently about the fan base and said he plans to go in there with "all good thoughts and open arms."

Winning the Celtics' first title since 1986 engendered a lot of love, and "Bostonians and New Englanders, they understand and they never forget their favorites," Garnett said. "We were fortunate to be part of that whole transformation . . . I'm happy to be a part of that era."

Emotions will be high, he reiterated, but "it'll be what it is. I'm going to embrace it for what it is."

Pierce said the feelings will be intense but, like Garnett, he isn't sure what shape they will take. "That's something you can't script," he said.

One thing is certain, though -- for as much of a mark as they left on the Celtics, Boston marked them right back.

Sunday will be testament that "some things," Garnett said, "are forever."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Two class acts - I will never forget the summer of 2008! "anything is possible" 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Celtics-Nets Live: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett Set For Emotional Return

by Ben Watanabe on Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:00AM Share this: Fancred 8 a.m. ET:

The applause will be long and loud. The misty eyes will be many. Oh yeah, and there will also be a game going on. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett will make their return to Boston on Sunday for the first time as members of the Brooklyn Nets. The timing could not be better. Rajon Rondo is finally back in uniform for the Boston Celtics and the Nets, after months of lurching along, are playing the type of basketball everyone expected out of them in the first place. The Celtics (15-30) host the red-hot Nets (19-22), winners of nine of their last 10 games, with more than just the game on their minds. The team is expected to show two different video tributes to Garnett and Pierce, who helped capture the franchise’s 17th NBA championship. The fans will get a chance to show their appreciation, then turn around and root against their former heroes for the next two to three hours. It should be fun. Join us for updates and analysis from TD Garden during the game, which tips off at 6:30 p.m. ET. 

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/01/celtics-nets-live-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-set-for-emotional-return/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

6-hours and counting! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

3-hours and counting until game time! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Should be a fun game, KG to me is no big deal, he is a mercenary, but Pierce was a Celtic. It will be odd seeing him play in Boston with a visoters jersey on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Really wish I could be there. Two of my all time favorites.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Good memories!! Class acts!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I can't help but wonder how thing's would have been if Danny Ainge had made better draft picks and free agent signings. The Celtics were very similar to the Spurs. The difference is that the Spurs have made great moves when Boston didn't. Tim Duncan is still a very good player but I'd take KG any day. As we saw in last year's Finals, Ginobli is washed up. But San Antonio continues to compete because they don't rely solely on their Big Three. That is how it should have been in Boston. KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen deserved to retire as Celtics not be trade bait every year. I just hope that they return to Boston as coaches after they retire.