The Celtics are Tanking (It's just not going to plan YET)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

The Celtics are Tanking (It's just not going to plan YET)

I appreciate Celtic Pride. I really do. 

However there needs to be a reality check on how teams position themselves to grab a pick in a talented drafting class. 

"Listen, Im so tired of listening to sports broadcasters talking about losing so you can get a draft choice. Y'know, they haven't got a clue on how to build a team." Tommy Heinsohn.

I love the guy but this is absolute chest-beating guff. And rubbish. And lies. 

A Celtics strategy of tanking led us to a golden period that delivered a world championship. We failed in grabbing Durant and Oden and went all out for the famous 3 year window by blowing it all up and trading for Allen and Garnett. The losing season before was a deliberate effot to place high in a pick for Oden or Durant. There is no QUESTION. NONE. Don't give me all this true Celtics fan don't want to lose guff. These are the market forces of modern sport. It's a double-edged sword for GM's. Ainge will say it's a crappy draft class or overrated. There he goes on the record in his 'why would i want to tank when i said that'...Ainge has his little alibi. Fair enough. He's not going to drool over Wiggins and then tell Brad to sit a few game-winners.

The culture around picking a sure thing in a draft and tanking to do so gives GMs like Ainge that little bit of an out to hold fire on playoff pursuit. We all understand it. Wink. Wink. Sacrifice a team's identity development (because the identity could change anyways with the addition of a superstar) for individual player development. 

The Celtics have tried to lose games. I has happened. It happened against the Bucks in the 2006-07 game when the Celtics sat top scorers when they had the lead, and then handed out DNPs to Al Jefferson in the race for the better %. It happened. It's on record. The Celtics have tanked. We're going it again. We are developing players and getting a coach NBA ready while doing so. It's amazing that everyone else is actually doing worse. 

The Celtics have talent. They have pride, and when you see guys like Crawford and Sully busted a gut out there, you wonder are they really tanking. 

Right now I take issue with all this nonsence spouted by people thinking that the Celtics would NEVER pursue a tanking strategy. Not the Celtics way...etc.  Oh give me a break. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: The Celtics are Tanking (It's just not going to plan YET)

This site is beginning to sound like Fox News.  The same unsubstantiated and conjectured tanking talk rubbish.  To begin with tanking is not a "strategy".  Its a simple tactic to support a broader strategy.  Second, you are misdefining the term tanking like most others on here.

To give extended playing time to certain players (keepers) to develop skills faster and to others (not keepers) to showcase for desired trades is a tactic to REBUILD FASTER.  Its common sense and sound management, not tanking.  Danny, Stevens, and all the Celtics players are trying to win every game within the that confine.  The collective Celtics are not trying to lose.  Trying to lose is the definition of tanking.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

The Celtics have not been tanking the entire year.

Tanking is playing Brooks over Crawford, not giving Bass minutes, Playing Bogans 20 minutes a game.

That is tanking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This site is beginning to sound like Fox News.  The same unsubstantiated and conjectured tanking talk rubbish.  To begin with tanking is not a "strategy".  Its a simple tactic to support a broader strategy.  Second, you are misdefining the term tanking like most others on here.

To give extended playing time to certain players (keepers) to develop skills faster and to others (not keepers) to showcase for desired trades is a tactic to REBUILD FASTER.  Its common sense and sound management, not tanking.  Danny, Stevens, and all the Celtics players are trying to win every game within the that confine.  The collective Celtics are not trying to lose.  Trying to lose is the definition of tanking.  

[/QUOTE]

Well let's wait and see. 

I guess I'm just kinda shocked at the indignation of 'tanking' in Celtics lore. I'm a C's fan for sure. I guess, I'm just fed-up with everyone being so offended in the Celtics 'family' regarding the mere thought of tanking. We did it. It's on our rap-sheet. DA for better or for worse has form when it comes to tanking. It's not CRAZY to assume that the Celtics would NEVER EVER EVER EVER pull that stuff. Like it or not, some (it's a small part, sure) of the C's legacy is BUILT ON TANKING. 

In saying all that, I am impressed by this team. Great individual players and when they charge for the ball, it's all spirt and it's all for the green. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to johconn's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well let's wait and see. 

I guess I'm just kinda shocked at the indignation of 'tanking' in Celtics lore. I'm a C's fan for sure. I guess, I'm just fed-up with everyone being so offended in the Celtics 'family' regarding the mere thought of tanking. We did it. It's on our rap-sheet. DA for better or for worse has form when it comes to tanking. It's not CRAZY to assume that the Celtics would NEVER EVER EVER EVER pull that stuff. Like it or not, some (it's a small part, sure) of the C's legacy is BUILT ON TANKING. 

In saying all that, I am impressed by this team. Great individual players and when they charge for the ball, it's all spirt and it's all for the green. 

[/QUOTE]

They are not tanking...they just aren't very talented...they have to play hard every game just to be there at the end...teams that started out badly that were suppossed to be good are starting to come around as some guys get better from injuries and they learn to play together...some are vet teams that always start slow and heat up as the season gets close to the playoffs...in truth, we suck...don't worry, we'll be safely ensconced in the lottery well before the end of the season...we still have the trade deadline coming up..lol..we'll be short a few of our leading bodies by then...

[/QUOTE]

That's true. They are playing hard, which is a credit to them. I just got tired with all this guff about Celtic's Pride and all that old nonsense. And Tommy Heinhson...I remember him getting wise to the tanking a few seasons back. A telling factor will be whenever Rondo is let back on the court too of course. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

The Celtics have put together a nice competative team that is well coached.  If they wanted to tank they should have retained Doc , KG, and Paul.  But instead they have developed several nice young players that are only one superstar away from contending.  The problems to address are: 1. logjam at power forward (good bye Bass and Hump) 2. Getting a great 2 by draft or trade 3. Playing Sully, KO, Fav, Crawford and Green as much as they can. 4. Using the draft choices and trades to build quickly. 5. Balance the $$$$$$ even if means good bye Avery and Rondo.  Next year should answer a lot of questions, Will we reload with Rondo or will we trade and draft out way to a contending team in two or three years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Celtics have put together a nice competative team that is well coached.  If they wanted to tank they should have retained Doc , KG, and Paul.  But instead they have developed several nice young players that are only one superstar away from contending.  The problems to address are: 1. logjam at power forward (good bye Bass and Hump) 2. Getting a great 2 by draft or trade 3. Playing Sully, KO, Fav, Crawford and Green as much as they can. 4. Using the draft choices and trades to build quickly. 5. Balance the $$$$$$ even if means good bye Avery and Rondo.  Next year should answer a lot of questions, Will we reload with Rondo or will we trade and draft out way to a contending team in two or three years?

[/QUOTE]

Good points. I reckon Bass and Humpty will have their say yet. I agree with you about the well coached team. Looks like DA really landed himself a focused hardworking smart guy who does not have an ego. He's had the luxury of doing this with the lowest expectations we've had in years though BUT this was the plan and he has seized the opportunity. 

I am still unconvinced this is not a tanking season. DA has done well but could he have forseen the madness in NY right now and the early ( it's still a long season )general capitulation of the East, and the shame that is the Atlantic Division.

Sections
Shortcuts