The Celtics have 10 guys active and 2 of them are Collins and Melo

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

Re: The Celtics have 10 guys active and 2 of them are Collins and Melo

I can't imagine we would trade our first rounder in this year's draft.  We don't have enough talent or cap space to make a deal that would improve the team enough to win it this year, and it's not worth dragging the team down in future years either.

It's a weak draft, but we'll be drafting in the middle of the pack and can still end up with a PF or C that has some good potential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to NYCelt's comment:

I can't imagine we would trade our first rounder in this year's draft.  We don't have enough talent or cap space to make a deal that would improve the team enough to win it this year, and it's not worth dragging the team down in future years either.

It's a weak draft, but we'll be drafting in the middle of the pack and can still end up with a PF or C that has some good potential.

Very reasonable expectation,  if Bass had not devolved into a very poor starter and middle of the road bench player we would have had him to move.  Sadly he is untradeable.  Who would want him?  

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

You won't trade a 1st round pick for Redick?

The Celtics' pick, at best would be #15. If the Celtics continue to climb up in the standings it could go up to #20. Very unlikely you're going to get a shooter as good as Redick with a pick that low in the 1st round.

I don't think we have what it would take to package along with our first rounder to make that work.  If Redick were on a contender you might be able to build a deal around sending them Pierce and our number one while taking back Redick and another contract, but he's not what they want, and that's a ridiculous deal for us anyway.

Yes, Redick would be a nice addition here without a doubt, but there's lots of interest in him and my guess is he's going elsewhere.  Meanwhile we still need to rebuild to contend and have a need for front-court players.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

I don't think we have what it would take to package along with our first rounder to make that work.  If Redick were on a contender you might be able to build a deal around sending them Pierce and our number one while taking back Redick and another contract, but he's not what they want, and that's a ridiculous deal for us anyway.

Yes, Redick would be a nice addition here without a doubt, but there's lots of interest and my guess is he's going elsewhere.  Meanwhile we still need to rebuild to contend and have a need for front-court players.

According to reports the Griz are interested in Courtney Lee. If that's the case then Lee to Memphis, Tony Allen and a 1st round pick to Orlando, and Redick to Boston. 

Orlando said it wanted an expiring contract and a 1st rounder. They get both in that 3-team deal.

Interesting idea; but has anything like that even been mentioned by any of the teams involved in your example?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

Interesting idea; but has anything like that even been mentioned by any of the teams involved in your example?

No.

Just showing you a possibility.

We can never know for sure what Ainge will do. Just like nobody expected Ainge to trade Perk for Jeff Green.

The point is the 1st round pick is not untouchable. A guy like Redick is worth a 1st round pick.

I agree with your point in principle; no one is untouchable.  I still can't imagine us parting with the pick unless it's part of a deal for an established or promising big.  I think we'll end up using the pick ourselves.

I understand your Redick deal, but it's simply a hypothetical at this point and not looking like we're in it with Chicago, Indiana and Denver reportedly ready to deal substantially more than we have to offer (and no word from Orlando that they're even interested in trading Redick).  Chicago has far more to offer as does Indiana.  Lastly, Redick is a liability on defense and I can't see us ignoring that key skill at this point.

For us, with a core including Rondo, Bradley, Green and possibly Lee, I think we go for rebounding and defense first and then worry about shooting.

Regards

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

I agree with your point in principle; no one is untouchable.  I still can't imagine us parting with the pick unless it's part of a deal for an established or promising big.  I think we'll end up using the pick ourselves.

I understand your Redick deal, but it's simply a hypothetical at this point and not looking like we're in it with Chicago, Indiana and Denver reportedly ready to deal substantially more than we have to offer (and no word from Orlando that they're even interested in trading Redick).  Chicago has far more to offer as does Indiana.  Lastly, Redick is a liability on defense and I can't see us ignoring that key skill at this point.

For us, with a core of Rondo, Bradley, Green and possibly Lee, I think we go for rebounding and defense first and then worry about shooting.

Regards

Rebounding and defense for the future was addressed when the Celtics drafted Sully and Melo. We'll know more 2 years from now. 

Right now shooting is the biggest problem of the Celtics. They're just 27th in the league in 3pt shooting. The Celts usually shoot 48-49% from the field when they had Ray Allen. Now they're just shooting 46%. The Celts must address this issue if they want to go deeper into the playoffs.

While the Celts still need more rebounding, they're currently averaging 40.04 rebounds per game. This is the first time the Celts averaged 40 or more rebounds per game since 2008-09. To improve in the rebounding department for the now, the solution is to trade Barbosa and a 2nd round pick for DeJuan Blair.

I watched Melo play at Syracuse for two years at the Carrier Dome.  I've sat in that building and watched the prospects and the pretenders for years.  I don't need to be an NBA scout to tell you he's highly unlikely to ever have a career in the NBA.  He can block shots and do virtually nothing else consistently or at a higher level.  He was DPOY in a watered down Big East while playing in the 2-3/triangle-and-two.

Sully is high risk because of weight and back problems.  We may not have done much to help rebounding, much less two years from now.  Blair is a decent enough player but at 6'7" is even smaller than Sully.  Both are probably good off the bench for short minutes but one is redundant of the other.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

I watched Melo play at Syracuse for two years at the Carrier Dome.  I've sat in that building and watched the prospects and the pretenders for years.  I don't need to be an NBA scout to tell you he's highly unlikely to ever have a career in the NBA.

Sully is high risk because of weight and back problems.  We may not have done much to help rebounding, much less two years from now.  Blair is a decent enough player but at 6'7" is even smaller than Sully.  Both are probably good off the bench for short minutes but one is redundant of the other.

We'll know more about Fab Melo in 2 years.

Sully's back problem may or may not be an issue in the coming years. We don't know for sure.

The point is Ainge addressed the problem through the draft.

One last question before I go tonight.  Given what we've both said about Melo and Sully above, how is it that those two equal Ainge addressing the problem?  We're no better off now and may not be in the future.  Melo cannot defend at all, can barely rebound and is still learning a game he only took up fairly recently (he played soccer in Brazil).  Sully may or may not be physically capable.

Ainge took a gamble that may or may not work out in the future; how did that address the problem sufficiently to abandon the search for a big who can defend and rebound in favor of a shooter with no defense?

I'll stick around for a little bit for the answer...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

Not still there/no answer?

...well then, maybe some other time.

Regards

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The point here is that there are no trae chips anymore. They dont need just one guy to replace Bass. They need a guy to replace Bass and they still need Bass to be a back up.

I don't see there being any options anymore.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts