1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: The Elite PG is THE Problem

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mean the starting sf, sg and pf are not playing well, the Starting center has just been okay, the bench has been wildly inconsistent and the defense has been horrible.

Starting PG is averagiing 16 points and 14 assists a game.

---------------

Exactly. If you could comprehend my post...1). the sf, sg, pf and center are playing substandard because the floor leader is not getting them into a natural flow and helping make them better. 2). the D has been horible because Rondo lets his man drive in the lane uncontested. and 3). Stats mean nothing.  I repeat, its all about Rondo's lack of effective leadership, consistent play and poisonous on court and locker room chemistry.  

[/QUOTE]

Can you comprehend how bad this team with be if rondo went down with an injury?

Are the other 14 guys so weak that Rondo is making all of them play bad? None of them are to blame it is just that Rondo is making them lazy?

All right then.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying (and I bet most others are not saying) that everything Rondo does is wrong.  Nor am I saying that Rondo isn't monstrously valuable to this team.   He can save us at times with his tremendoes play - including guard rebounding.  But, the comments about him not playing well RIGHT NOW are true when you look at him holding the ball so he can get assists rather than moving the ball around and about his defense, especially.    His defense is the NUMBER ONE reason our bigs get out of position - having to help Rondo.   

I love Rondo but I'd love him a LOT more if he fought to stay in front of his man rather than playing lazy and then trying to reach from behind.   Just 5 stops a game by our point guard changes the nature of every game we've been in!!!

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.  I don't think Rondo is the best pg out there.  At all.  But he isn't THE problem.  If you want to say he is A problem that is an entirely different post.  that I would not have bothered to comment on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

That makes sense.  I don't think Rondo is the best pg out there.  At all.  But he isn't THE problem.  If you want to say he is A problem that is an entirely different post.  that I would not have bothered to comment on.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Count me in.  If Rondo lets go of the ball a little more and looked to shoot a little more, the Celts will be a better team.  But one can't deny his knack of gettig the ball to the shooter at the right time and in the right place.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Glad we had a discussion about him tonight.  He heard us and played good D tonight To go with a great offensive game.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rondo's best game of the year.

The team is coming together.

[/QUOTE]

just a matter of time..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

rondo is not a great man defender. he is a very good team defender. he does have periods where he seems to fall into a funk and does not command the ball or attack enough on offense. he can, at times, be sloppy with his passes. he is a terrible free throw shooter. he is hardly a knock em down shooter (though he is improving rapidly in this dept). he's a bit of an odd duck and clearly is head strong and a bit arrogant. 

he's also the celtics best player. there are times when is he is virtually unstoppable. he is one of the few players in the league (and maybe even the only one right now) who can command a game without scoring. he has freakish athletic skills. he will be a perennial all star. he leads the league in assists. he's the best pure pg/floor general in the game. with the exception of chris paul and derick rose I'd take him over anyone in the league (a league that includes russell westbrook and deron williams). He is 26 years old, just coming into his own, and learning how to lead a contending team full of established veterans. 

without rondo the celtics are barely a playoff team. to say he is a problem, let alone THE problem with a rocky start seven games into the season is absurd. to critically assess a team missing its starting 2, with two key players coming back from heart surgeries, and trying to integrate another 8 new faces into the system, while adjusting to the loss of one of their primary guys over the past 5 seasons, is also laughable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

[QUOTE]

Rondo is an exceptional basketball athlete.  Statistically one of the best in the NBA today.  His assist production is off the charts.  He can string together double-doubles with a triple double here and there like nobody since Magic.  When Rondo plays well and the team is in sync with his play, the Celtics win against anybody. Thats the good news.

The bad news is that like Allen Iverson and Wilt Chamberlain, also extraordinary players, they all lacked leadership qualities that are so important to team chemistry and on court team performance...and coordinating an off-season charity event with the team does not define leadership.

Despite his positive attributes, I believe HE is the reason that the Celtics play so inconsistenly.  When Rondo's head isn't into the game, he doesn't play any D and his offense is sub-standard. The top 6-7 PGs in the league blow by him with regularity and brake down the rest of the Celtics defense. On offense, he too often holds the ball out front and paralizes the offense. This is what drove Ray Allen crazy.  He turns the ball over too much.  And why is it that when the Celtics need a key basket with time running out, its the worst shooter on the team, Rondo, who holds the ball for 12 seconds and launches a long range prayer that never goes in...  

Rondo may be one of the best PGs in the league and the best player on the Celtics...but the team does not play well as a unit with Rondo at the point and does not respond to him as the proclaimed team leader.  He hurts team chemistry and team play just like AI. 

I would much rather have a PG who plays smart and hard CONSISTENTLY day in and day out. A PG who makes others on the team better and orchestrates a natural team flow on the floor and better chemistry in the locker room than Rondo's statistics and potential.

Rondo is a key asset to the Celtics and he is also the key liability. 

Outstanding  post  with  excellent  points.  For  many  fans, who  just  focus  on  stats  and  spectacular  plays, RR  is  beyond  reproach.  Rondo  has  obvious  strengths  and  weaknesses. But,  he  seems  incapable  of  staying  in  front  of  opposing  point  guards, decreasing  his  turnovers,  making  free  throws  and  developing  leadership  skills.  Too  many  fans  engage   in  "all  or  nothing"  thinking.  Rondo  isn't  THE  PROBLEM  the  Celts  have.  But  his  flaws  are  certainly  a  problem  for  the  team.  IMO, the  Celts  inability  to  protect  the  rim  and  rebound  are  the  primary  problem.  And  Rondo's  inability  to  prevent  lane  penetration  contributes   to  this  problem. 

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rondo is an exceptional basketball athlete.  Statistically one of the best in the NBA today.  His assist production is off the charts.  He can string together double-doubles with a triple double here and there like nobody since Magic.  When Rondo plays well and the team is in sync with his play, the Celtics win against anybody. Thats the good news.

The bad news is that like Allen Iverson and Wilt Chamberlain, also extraordinary players, they all lacked leadership qualities that are so important to team chemistry and on court team performance...and coordinating an off-season charity event with the team does not define leadership.

Despite his positive attributes, I believe HE is the reason that the Celtics play so inconsistenly.  When Rondo's head isn't into the game, he doesn't play any D and his offense is sub-standard. The top 6-7 PGs in the league blow by him with regularity and brake down the rest of the Celtics defense. On offense, he too often holds the ball out front and paralizes the offense. This is what drove Ray Allen crazy.  He turns the ball over too much.  And why is it that when the Celtics need a key basket with time running out, its the worst shooter on the team, Rondo, who holds the ball for 12 seconds and launches a long range prayer that never goes in...  

Rondo may be one of the best PGs in the league and the best player on the Celtics...but the team does not play well as a unit with Rondo at the point and does not respond to him as the proclaimed team leader.  He hurts team chemistry and team play just like AI. 

I would much rather have a PG who plays smart and hard CONSISTENTLY day in and day out. A PG who makes others on the team better and orchestrates a natural team flow on the floor and better chemistry in the locker room than Rondo's statistics and potential.

Outstanding  post  with  excellent  points.  For  many  fans, who  just  focus  on  stats  and  spectacular  plays, RR  is  beyond  reproach.  Rondo  has  obvious  strengths  and  weaknesses. But,  he  seems  incapable  of  staying  in  front  of  opposing  point  guards, decreasing  his  turnovers,  making  free  throws  and  developing  leadership  skills.  Too  many  fans  engage   in  "all  or  nothing"  thinking.  Rondo  isn't  THE  PROBLEM  the  Celts  have.  But  his  flaws  are  certainly  a  problem  for  the  team.  IMO, the  Celts  inability  to  protect  the  rim  and  rebound  are  the  primary  problem.  And  Rondo's  inability  to  prevent  lane  penetration  contributes   to  this  problem. 

[/QUOTE]

Could you name a few PGs that consistently prevent lane penetration?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

naming point guards who consistently prevent penetration is like naming players who consistently stop lebron james, kevin durant, and derick rose. they don't exist. this is the nba. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to bt33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

naming point guards who consistently prevent penetration is like naming players who consistently stop lebron james, kevin durant, and derick rose. they don't exist. this is the nba. 

[/QUOTE]

That's what i'm talking about!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would you start  thread saying that he is THE problem and then comment that he isn't THE problem.

As I said earlier your hyperbole was the only reason I commented on your thread.  Obviously Rondo has weaknesses.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ive been saying that for the longest.  Who stops Wade, Westbrook, Ellis, Wall, Rose, and other guards from breaking down the defense and penetrating and causing havoc?  Folks must live in a vaccum if they think folks can actually stop folks.  Why put such a high expectation on Rondo when he just like all the other guards.  They all blow by each other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Despite his positive attributes, I believe HE is the reason that the Celtics play so inconsistenly.  When Rondo's head isn't into the game, he doesn't play any D and his offense is sub-standard. The top 6-7 PGs in the league blow by him with regularity and brake down the rest of the Celtics defense. On offense, he too often holds the ball out front and paralizes the offense. This is what drove Ray Allen crazy.  He turns the ball over too much.  And why is it that when the Celtics need a key basket with time running out, its the worst shooter on the team, Rondo, who holds the ball for 12 seconds and launches a long range prayer that never goes in...  

[/QUOTE]

I dont totally disagree with your theory but I have a problem with the highlighted area. I dont think ROndo turns the ball over anymore than the average PG and with his high amount of assists he dished out, he will never fall out of the top 5 in terms of assist to trunover ratio so please back up that statement with numbers and to the other point in bold. He has been told to take control and lead so dont blame him, blame Doc. He actually has made one of those last second shots and missed one so far by my count so he is 50% in late game chucking situations and this is to get him out the way he used to play when he would keep passing and avoiding shots. NOw that he is agressive its a problem?!?!  ROndo will never Win in Boston. He cant....No matter what he does, its wrong...Feel bad for the guy...but I get your points

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would you start  thread saying that he is THE problem and then comment that he isn't THE problem.

Looks like someone's mixing up two different people and post or else I'm not understanding something.

As I said earlier your hyperbole was the only reason I commented on your thread.  Obviously Rondo has weaknesses.

[/QUOTE]

- - -

- - -

I think the leadership issue that dunker brought up is being overlooked and is the most important point in his thread.

This is a point I've been making this season. I think Celtic's management's annointing Rondo the new team leader was a mistake. You earn team leadership and become a team leader by earning it, it can't be given to you by management.

Perhaps Rondo will grow into being a team leader, but I don't think he has the stuff right now, and I think this hurts the team and contributes to the chemistry problem that someone else mentioned.

I agree that Rondo is one of the problems this Celtic's team is having as outlined by dunker and others because of his defense and because he holds and dribbles too long.

But I think eldunkers main point was not soo much about his floor play being a problem that can't be overcome but the problem inherant with his leadership, which is not something that more practice time on the floor can improve.  It's a maturity and character issue and will only be resolved over time.

I don't think Rondo's sudden elevation to "team leader" sits too well with the vets on the team or with many of the players.  Dubbing it "Rondo's team now!" certainly doesn't appear to sit too well with KG and Paul: all the players will give lip service to Rondo being the engine that drives the team on the floor, especdia;y when his heads in the game and he's doing it well, but that's a far cry from them saying that it's "Rondo's team now" and he's our leader on the floor and off the floor.

I think that in recognizing this aspect of the problem eldunker hit the nail right on the head.

-

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to RajonRondowski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone's mixing up two different people and post or else I'm not understanding something.

[/QUOTE]

- - -

- - -

I think the leadership issue that dunker brought up is being overlooked and is the most important point in his thread.

This is a point I've been making this season. I think Celtic's management's annointing Rondo the new team leader was a mistake. You earn team leadership and become a team leader by earning it, it can't be given to you by management.

Perhaps Rondo will grow into being a team leader, but I don't think he has the stuff right now, and I think this hurts the team and contributes to the chemistry problem that someone else mentioned.

I agree that Rondo is one of the problems this Celtic's team is having as outlined by dunker and others because of his defense and because he holds and dribbles too long.

But I think eldunkers main point was not soo much about his floor play being a problem that can't be overcome but the problem inherant with his leadership, which is not something that more practice time on the floor can improve.  It's a maturity and character issue and will only be resolved over time.

I don't think Rondo's sudden elevation to "team leader" sits too well with the vets on the team or with many of the players.  Dubbing it "Rondo's team now!" certainly doesn't appear to sit too well with KG and Paul: all the players will give lip service to Rondo being the engine that drives the team on the floor, especdia;y when his heads in the game and he's doing it well, but that's a far cry from them saying that it's "Rondo's team now" and he's our leader on the floor and off the floor.

I think that in recognizing this aspect of the problem eldunker hit the nail right on the head.

-

[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I messed up.  I hate this Quote thing.  Humble apoligies to Eldunker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ive been saying that for the longest.  Who stops Wade, Westbrook, Ellis, Wall, Rose, and other guards from breaking down the defense and penetrating and causing havoc?  Folks must live in a vaccum if they think folks can actually stop folks.  Why put such a high expectation on Rondo when he just like all the other guards.  They all blow by each other.

[/QUOTE]

You don't completely stop any elite guard.  But, you can push them to their weak hand, force them to an area where you have help, etc.   Defense is much more complicated than one man completely stopping another man - but you have to challenge your man and do your best to stay in front of him, make him runn a little wider than he'd like, etc.   The better defensive guards do that.

Ask yourself why Bradley is a better defensive guard than Rondo - he hustles to stay in front of his man, that's why!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Leaves Wrondo aloan yuz dumm ignoramusses !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

BTW, I just wanted to point what I think the fan base is expecting Rondo to do.

1) Play solid defense to stop the opposing point guards.

2) Shoot and attempt to score 20 points per game.

3) Hustle, get steals, rebounds, loose balls.

4) Average more than 10 assists/game.

5) Push the ball, run fast breaks.

6) Play 38+ mins/game.

Did I miss something?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

such a shame the way rondo has cheapened the assist stat. i see where the official scorers in the recent milwaukee and chicago games failed to give rondo his due. an 11th bucks assist has since been added and an 11th bulls assist likely will be. he's racking them up at such a rate that the official scorers are not able to keep track. wonder if magic and stockton had similar issues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JamLock's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is an elite point guard in the present day Association, if not the ELITE PG as the thread's title point outs.  As the season progresses, we will begin to see what Bob Cousy and Tiny Archibald have articulated about Rondo.  Probably the best in Celtics history!  High praise from two of the best.

JamLock

[/QUOTE]

Year seven... and "we will BEGIN TO SEE...." ????

When will we FINALLY see?

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pud,

Thanks for alerting me to the fact that I said "we" because "I" among many others have seen what some (maybe even you) have yet to see.  I believe the essence of my post was that the opinions of two great Celtics point guards carry a lot more weight than mine or even yours.  Did you enjoy the 20 assists  a less than 100% Rondo efficiently dished out today while barely scoring?  Leads me to believe he can dominate the game and get his teammates the ball in their "sweet" spots without scoring a point!  What about you?

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JamLock's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is an elite point guard in the present day Association, if not the ELITE PG as the thread's title point outs.  As the season progresses, we will begin to see what Bob Cousy and Tiny Archibald have articulated about Rondo.  Probably the best in Celtics history!  High praise from two of the best.

JamLock

[/QUOTE]

Year seven... and "we will BEGIN TO SEE...." ????

When will we FINALLY see?

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Pud when somone is being compared to all time greats,  you don't get that accolade in one or even 7 seasons.  Its a body of work, and year by year consistancy.  Everyone knows you don't like Rondo,  which is fine with me.  But to imply is isn't any good just shows you are extremely foolish..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

such a shame the way rondo has cheapened the assist stat. i see where the official scorers in the recent milwaukee and chicago games failed to give rondo his due. an 11th bucks assist has since been added and an 11th bulls assist likely will be. he's racking them up at such a rate that the official scorers are not able to keep track. wonder if magic and stockton had similar issues.

[/QUOTE]

yes they did.