The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.

Interesting list.

No. 1: 1996 Chicago Bulls – Nobody’s really going to argue with the consensus top choice, are they? Michael Jordan fresh out of retirement and at the top of his game, joined by fellow future Hall of Famers Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman, the Bulls set the NBA record with 72 wins and outscored opponents by an average of 12.2 per game. These Bulls knew they were going to win every time they walked onto the court and usually were right.

No. 2: 1967 Philadelphia 76ers – It was a much smaller NBA back then, a more rugged, tougher league and the toughest thing about it was that you had to go through Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics. These Sixers did it with a lineup of three members of the NBA’s 50 Greatest in Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham and a roster that also included Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, Wali Jones and Matt Guokas. They rolled to a 68-13 record, took out the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals and beat the Warriors with Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond in The Finals.

No. 3: 1986 Boston Celtics – They had five future Hall of Famers – Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson and Bill Walton – who played with an intelligence that matched their intensity and confidence. Walton was able to finally shake off years of foot problems to back up Parish and Walton’s passing skills seemed to take Bird to an even higher level. The Celtics rolled to an NBA record 40-1 home mark during the regular season and by the time they reached The Finals against a young and powerful Houston team with Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson, the outcome was practically a foregone conclusion.

No. 4: 1987 Los Angeles Lakers – With all due respect to the 1972 Lakers and their record 33-game winning streak, they and the NBA never had anything like a 6-foot-9 point guard in Magic Johnson. With Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy, this is was the season the Lakers went 65-17, won 10 of 11 playoff games in the first three rounds and had a relatively easy time beating Bird and the Celtics in The Finals 4-2. Magic’s baby sky hook won Game at Boston Garden to send them on their way and, when it was over, Pat Riley promised the Lakers would win it again the next year. And they did.

No. 5: 1965 Boston Celtics – Including coach Red Auerbach, there were eight Hall of Famers in the locker room – Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones, Satch Sanders, Tom Heinsohn and a rookie named John Thompson. Sam Jones averaged 25.9 points per game to lead the way. But this was a Celtics team that was all about defense with K.C. Jones at the point and Russell in the middle. Russell averaged 24.1 rebounds per game. They handled the Lakers easily in The Finals, 4-1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.

Well the 1996 Bulls were not the best team of all time. The 1987 Lakers would have beaten them nine ways to Sunday. The 1986 Celtics would have beaten them easily as well.

Because the league was so diluted at that point, I think the accomplishments of that roster need to be looked at in that context. They're a great side. But of the Bulls championship teams, I really do prefer the 92/93 team.

Best of all time? The 1986/1987 Lakers.

Surprised that the 1972 Lakers are not on that list. But some of the Laker fans here may well write them off. They won before the merger and only took home ONE championship. The grief they give the Celtics for winning just ONE championship in 2008 indicates some people don't give much credit for a team that can only win ONE championship and not back it up.

Why the 86/87 Lakers? Magic in his MVP season. Worthy running the lanes, Kareem not at his best but adjusted to his new role. Cooper's defense. Byron Scott and A.C. Green playing their roles, but in truth much more than mere role players. And the key ingredient to give us a lot of help. Mychal Thompson. I think this guy is overlooked in the success of the 86/87 and 87/88 team. The only shame is that the 86/87 Celtics were busted up by the time the finals came along. Still giving them credit they won two games in the finals against us.

In fact I take that back in regards to Byron Scott. He actually had a massive improvement in that season. Again, another guy who really should have his number retired in LA.

My five all time greatest teams?

1) Lakers 86/87
    2) Sixers 66/67
    3) Celtics 64/65
    4) Celtics 85/86
    5) Bulls 92/93

Honourable mentions?

03/04 Pistons. They actually were a 'team' in the way a 'team' should be.
    Thinking also a Spurs team would be in there someplace as again they epitomised team play.

Number six on my list though is the 71/72 Lakers.

Now again, what I said earlier, I guess a lot of people right these guys off. Only one championship in that whole period. But they were a very special team. 33 wins in a row is an accomplishment that may never be beaten. The only blight on that season was that Elgin Baynor virtually took no part in it. But in my mind his contributions to the Lakers over his career played a part in the success.

Debate away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I'd have a hard time leaving the 72/73 Laker team off any list.

That was maybe the only team that made me feel like nobody could beat them. Ya know at the start of games or playoff series the anxiety you get? Well, that was the only team I can recall where I never felt there was any doubt... never felt they were capable of losing a series at any point. They were just that good, that dominant. Wilt, West, Goodrich... and that streak... I couldnt argue with anyone placing them 1-3.

I love the 86 Celtic team....with a healthy Walton off the bench playing with Bird, McHale & Parrish. 

The only problem with the 96 Bulls was the competition, but its real hard to argue with 72 wins... thats just sick.  The team lacked in other positions but MJ's dominance overcomes much of that. Heck, I heard MJ is almost as good as Lebron...

Those would be my top 3 but I couldnt place in any order...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.:
    Interesting list. No. 1: 1996 Chicago Bulls – Nobody’s really going to argue with the consensus top choice, are they? Michael Jordan fresh out of retirement and at the top of his game, joined by fellow future Hall of Famers Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman , the Bulls set the NBA record with 72 wins and outscored opponents by an average of 12.2 per game. These Bulls knew they were going to win every time they walked onto the court and usually were right. No. 2: 1967 Philadelphia 76ers – It was a much smaller NBA back then, a more rugged, tougher league and the toughest thing about it was that you had to go through Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics. These Sixers did it with a lineup of three members of the NBA’s 50 Greatest in Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham and a roster that also included Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, Wali Jones and Matt Guokas . They rolled to a 68-13 record, took out the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals and beat the Warriors with Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond in The Finals. No. 3: 1986 Boston Celtics – They had five future Hall of Famers – Larry Bird, Kevin McHale , Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson and Bill Walton – who played with an intelligence that matched their intensity and confidence. Walton was able to finally shake off years of foot problems to back up Parish and Walton’s passing skills seemed to take Bird to an even higher level. The Celtics rolled to an NBA record 40-1 home mark during the regular season and by the time they reached The Finals against a young and powerful Houston team with Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson , the outcome was practically a foregone conclusion. No. 4: 1987 Los Angeles Lakers – With all due respect to the 1972 Lakers and their record 33-game winning streak, they and the NBA never had anything like a 6-foot-9 point guard in Magic Johnson . With Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy , this is was the season the Lakers went 65-17, won 10 of 11 playoff games in the first three rounds and had a relatively easy time beating Bird and the Celtics in The Finals 4-2. Magic’s baby sky hook won Game at Boston Garden to send them on their way and, when it was over, Pat Riley promised the Lakers would win it again the next year. And they did. No. 5: 1965 Boston Celtics – Including coach Red Auerbach , there were eight Hall of Famers in the locker room – Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones, Satch Sanders, Tom Heinsohn and a rookie named John Thompson . Sam Jones averaged 25.9 points per game to lead the way. But this was a Celtics team that was all about defense with K.C. Jones at the point and Russell in the middle. Russell averaged 24.1 rebounds per game. They handled the Lakers easily in The Finals, 4-1.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.:
    I'd have a hard time leaving the 72/73 Laker team off any list. That was maybe the only team that made me feel like nobody could beat them. Ya know at the start of games or playoff series the anxiety you get? Well, that was the only team I can recall where I never felt there was any doubt... never felt they were capable of losing a series at any point. They were just that good, that dominant. Wilt, West, Goodrich... and that streak... I couldnt argue with anyone placing them 1-3. I love the 86 Celtic team....with a healthy Walton off the bench playing with Bird, McHale & Parrish.  The only problem with the 96 Bulls was the competition, but its real hard to argue with 72 wins... thats just sick.  The team lacked in other positions but MJ's dominance overcomes much of that. Heck, I heard MJ is almost as good as Lebron... Those would be my top 3 but I couldnt place in any order...
    Posted by Karllost

LOL at the Lebron comment.

86/87 Lakers are the team I absolutely love. Wish I could have seen them play in real life, and not on DVD/video. I really wish we'd beaten Houston in '86 and it was Lakers/Celtics once again. Going up against that healthy Celtics team would have been our ultimate challenge.

Would have loved to have had the 71/72 Lakers team in my list. But I had to have a Jordan team in there. I think their best opposition was the Suns in '93. So I went with the 92/93 Bulls. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

hehehehehe

The response I expected. Can read you like a book.

Sorry for offending you by putting a one championship wonder in postion 6 the But really there's nothing between them and the Bulls team I put in position five.

I guess you can't give them their much deserved credit after all the grief you've given people here about the 2008 Celtics team.

Shame really because the 71/72 Lakers team was a team for the ages.

Also a shame that you can't put the time in to give me your list.

I'll do it for you because I'm kind The 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 08/09, 09/10 Lakers
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The 86/87 Lakers would beat any of those teams 9 times out of 10. Cooper would give Bryant nightmares. And I'd like to know how they'd defend Johnson, Worthy, Scott and Kareem. Simple answer. They couldn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : hehehehehe The response I expected. Can read you like a book. Sorry for offending you by putting a one championship wonder in postion 6 the But really there's nothing between them and the Bulls team I put in position five. I guess you can't give them their much deserved credit after all the grief you've given people here about the 2008 Celtics team. Shame really because the 71/72 Lakers team was a team for the ages. Also a shame that you can't put the time in to give me your list. Let me guess; 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 08/09, 09/10 Lakers??? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz The 86/87 Lakers would beat any of those teams 9 times out of 10. Cooper would give Bryant nightmares.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : LOL at the Lebron comment. 86/87 Lakers are the team I absolutely love. Wish I could have seen them play in real life, and not on DVD/video. I really wish we'd beaten Houston in '86 and it was Lakers/Celtics once again. Going up against that healthy Celtics team would have been our ultimate challenge. Would have loved to have had the 71/72 Lakers team in my list. But I had to have a Jordan team in there. I think their best opposition was the Suns in '93. So I went with the 92/93 Bulls. 
    Posted by RUWorthy

That was a great Laker team... and the reason I rate Magic as good as MJ.. He completely dominated the pace of the game and was the ultimate leader...  I dont think magics best Laker team would beat the 86 Celtic team but thats a bery subjective opinion. 

Had Magic & Larry not played in the same era, they'd both have a few more titles.

I'd also throw in there the 67  Philly team.. I got to watch a little of them and it was the only team that was better than Russells Celtic team... Over Russells 13 years and 11 titles... an injury prob cost him his 12th title but in 67... Wilts 76 team was just plain better...   Cunningham & Walker were stars, Hal Greer... I can still remember how the Philly announcer would call his name at the Spectrum.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaahhh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : That was a great Laker team... and the reason I rate Magic as good as MJ.. He completely dominated the pace of the game and was the ultimate leader...  I dont think magics best Laker team would beat the 86 Celtic team but thats a bery subjective opinion.  Had Magic & Larry not played in the same era, they'd both have a few more titles. I'd also throw in there the 67  Philly team.. I got to watch a little of them and it was the only team that was better than Russells Celtic team... Over Russells 13 years and 11 titles... an injury prob cost him his 12th title but in 67... Wilts 76 team was just plain better...   Cunningham & Walker were stars, Hal Greer... I can still remember how the Philly announcer would call his name at the Spectrum.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaaahhh
    Posted by Karllost

That's the reason I have to rate the 67 Sixers so highly. Chamberlain finally beating Russell in the finals. And beating a healthy Russell. That's such a huge accomplishment. Perhaps the greatest accomplishment? I think that's a whole other debate.

I can understand that in regards to the '86 Celtics. We did lose to Boston twice in the regular season. The finals are different, but both those regular season loses were from what I can tell comprehensive.

I believe a reason we aquired Mychal Thompson in '87 was partly to counter Bill Walton.

Magic and Bird were the best thing to happen to the NBA. Imagine how cruel it would have been if both of them were on the same team? Now there you'd have a team that would have only been beaten by injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : hehehehehe The response I expected. Can read you like a book. Sorry for offending you by putting a one championship wonder in postion 6 the But really there's nothing between them and the Bulls team I put in position five. I guess you can't give them their much deserved credit after all the grief you've given people here about the 2008 Celtics team. Shame really because the 71/72 Lakers team was a team for the ages. Also a shame that you can't put the time in to give me your list. I'll do it for you because I'm kind The 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 08/09, 09/10 Lakers Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz The 86/87 Lakers would beat any of those teams 9 times out of 10. Cooper would give Bryant nightmares. And I'd like to know how they'd defend Johnson, Worthy, Scott and Kareem. Simple answer. They couldn't.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Do you *really* expect an ignorant troll to respect the history of the game?

I bet he thinks Gasol and Bynum are better than Kareem LOL

And that Artest could shut down Worthy

And most laughably, that Derek Fisher could hang with Magic

HAHAHAHAHA

Let's say you took the Three-peat team from 2000+.  Kobe wasn't the defensive force he is now, and he was only putting up 20/game.  Shaq is the only guy who could hang with the 1987 Lakers squad on that team, and he'd have a hard time with Kareem's nasty footwork (as evidenced by how Hakeem Olajuwon tooled on him in 1995).  Rick Fox on James Worthy?  Derek Fisher and Devean George tryign to guard Magic Johnson?  Young, scrawny Kobe at the two-guard?

Nope.

I'd have loved to see the 1986 Celtics play the 1987 Lakers.  By 1987, the Celtics were already wearing down because Len Bias wasn't around to replenish their depth and the starters were logging 40 minutes a night.  But in 1986 they were dominant (only lost one game at home).  Oh well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Until some team wins 33 games in a row, the greatest is the 71-72 Lakers. I am still shocked when I remember every one one of those 33. It took the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks with two of the all time greats in Abdul Jabbar and Oscar Robertson to end the streak that broke the 20 game record set by these same Bucks just the year before. No one has even come close to that 33 since. They also set a then record of 69-13. This was the most astounding 1 year team in history, bar none. And don't forget, they had to get through the Bucks in the West to get to the finals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

It's sad to admit but the exclamation mark made me LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Until some team wins 33 games in a row, the greatest is the 71-72 Lakers. I am still shocked when I remember every one one of those 33. It took the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks with two of the all time greats in Abdul Jabbar and Oscar Robertson to end the streak that broke the 20 game record set by these same Bucks just the year before. No one has even come close to that 33 since. They also set a then record of 69-13. This was the most astounding 1 year team in history, bar none. And don't forget, they had to get through the Bucks in the West to get to the finals.
    Posted by lakersavenger

Seriously made me re-evaluate my list with this. They're now in my top 5. I dare say they came up against better players when they went 69-13 than The Bulls in their 95/96 campaign.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : Do you *really* expect an ignorant troll to respect the history of the game? I bet he thinks Gasol and Bynum are better than Kareem LOL And that Artest could shut down Worthy And most laughably, that Derek Fisher could hang with Magic HAHAHAHAHA Let's say you took the Three-peat team from 2000+.  Kobe wasn't the defensive force he is now, and he was only putting up 20/game.  Shaq is the only guy who could hang with the 1987 Lakers squad on that team, and he'd have a hard time with Kareem's nasty footwork (as evidenced by how Hakeem Olajuwon tooled on him in 1995).  Rick Fox on James Worthy?  Derek Fisher and Devean George tryign to guard Magic Johnson?  Young, scrawny Kobe at the two-guard? Nope. I'd have loved to see the 1986 Celtics play the 1987 Lakers.  By 1987, the Celtics were already wearing down because Len Bias wasn't around to replenish their depth and the starters were logging 40 minutes a night.  But in 1986 they were dominant (only lost one game at home).  Oh well.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

The sad thing is he actually gave me a genuine bellylaugh a few minutes ago. I'm not sure if he intended that or not. Either way, it was still funny. Such a weird moment!

I think if the 86/87 Lakers played under 'todays' rules they may take time to adjust. But could you imagine if they played under the rules from 86/87? It'd be carnage on the court. I'd even go so far to say, and it's not a stretch at all that the 88/89 Pistons would beat them just as badly.

That said I do love that Lakers team, Shaq really was another of my basketball heroes when I was young. But being realistic it's a comparatively weak team when looking at the Magic Johnson led Lakers sides. Which I think says something about the state of the league in general in this era. League has around six teams too many.

The '86 Celtics  did give you some good memories. I agree, I think the Celtics may have been competitive for a lot longer if Bias has lived. It's hard to say with complete certainty as we didn't know the extent of his drug use. Such a waste of life. If he was half as good as what people said then he'd have probably extended McHale's career. He may not have kept playing on with that foot injury in '87.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time. : Seriously made me re-evaluate my list with this. They're now in my top 5. I dare say they came up against better players when they went 69-13 than The Bulls in their 95/96 campaign.
    Posted by RUWorthy

"Well the 1996 Bulls were not the best team of all time. The 1987 Lakers would have beaten them nine ways to Sunday. The 1986 Celtics would have beaten them easily as well.

Because the league was so diluted at that point, I think the accomplishments of that roster need to be looked at in that context"

You maintain that the league was diluted in 1995-96 and yet choose to point out the greatness of the 71-72 team. There's something wrong with that scenario!  Here's a little expansion comparison.  In 1995-96 there were 29 teams. 10 years earlier, (1985-86), there were 23 teams. Thats an increase of 1.261 times.
     In 1971-72 there were 17 teams.  10 years earlier, (1961-62), there were only 9 teams.  Thats an increase of 1.889 times.  If you add the 11 teams from the ABA, you end up with a whopping 28 teams. It appears to me that it was the 71-72 Lakers that benefited the most from expansion.

Seems

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Posted by lakersavenger

Cant agree that the 33 game streak alone makes that Laker team the GOAT, but as a team in general, I couldnt argue too much with anyone saying they were the GOAT.

They were that dominant in the NBA,  that ranking them #1 all time wouldnt bother me at all.  Certainly one of the teams that deserve strong consideration

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Good idea for a thread RUWorthy. I like your picks. The order is always debatable and who really knows what the outcome would be if the 65 Celtics faced the 96 Bulls? 
       I agree that the 72 Lakers don't belong in the all time best five. Top 10 no doubts in my mind at all. I remember those teams well. The Knicks of the early 70's were just as good as the Lakers of the same era. There were some real power house teams from 70 to 77 including the Knicks, Lakers, Bucks, Celtics, Bullets and the Warriors. If I recall correctly, the Knicks and the Celtics were the only team to win 2 championships during that era.
        By the way RUWorthy, for a young person, you sure know your NBA of years ago. It's good to have you as a part of this board.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you're right....eight different teams won in the '70's.....Knicks & Celts did it twice...in '72/'73 the Celtics led the league with 68 wins...they lost in 7 games to the Knicks....Havlicek tried to play through the injury but New York went on to win and then beat the Lakers in five...that was probably my lowest point at age 22...I thought that team would go all the way...we won it all the next year and again in '76...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Spoke with Hondo about that game against the Knicks. He called it "my separated shoulder" game. So he shot everything left-handed and still played an amazing game--I think it was 7-9 shooting. Gutty effort and one of the reasons he was my favorite player growing up.

Those Knick teams also deserve some mention among the best ever. HOF Coach Red Holzman and a team that included HOF players Capt. Willis Reed, Bill Bradley, Dave DeBusschere, and Walt Frazier. Dick Barnett, Cazzie Russell, Dave Stallworth, and Mike Riordon were the major role players who made contributions. This team won 60 games in 1970, most ever for the franchise. The 1973 edition added Jerry Lucas and Earl Monroe, two other HOF players. Their passing the ball was an absolute thing of beauty--finding the open man almost always-- and they played tough defense too. This team gave NBA history one of its finest moments when Willis hobbled into MSG, made the first basket of the game, limped around for awhile, made another basket, and they were off and running to their first title ever in 1970. Even though it wasn't the Celtics, it was still a wonderful thing to watch!

Great thread, RU Worthy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Worthy- If you're going to throw that Piston team into the mix you have to also place the 77 Blazer's in there..They were playing at an astounding level to beat a talented 76 "team" and were playing at 42 & 8 when Walton got hurt..Just reekin of reeko..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to The Five Greatest NBA teams of all time.:
    Interesting list. No. 1: 1996 Chicago Bulls – Nobody’s really going to argue with the consensus top choice, are they? Michael Jordan fresh out of retirement and at the top of his game, joined by fellow future Hall of Famers Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman , the Bulls set the NBA record with 72 wins and outscored opponents by an average of 12.2 per game. These Bulls knew they were going to win every time they walked onto the court and usually were right. No. 2: 1967 Philadelphia 76ers – It was a much smaller NBA back then, a more rugged, tougher league and the toughest thing about it was that you had to go through Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics. These Sixers did it with a lineup of three members of the NBA’s 50 Greatest in Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham and a roster that also included Chet Walker, Luke Jackson, Wali Jones and Matt Guokas . They rolled to a 68-13 record, took out the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals and beat the Warriors with Rick Barry and Nate Thurmond in The Finals. No. 3: 1986 Boston Celtics – They had five future Hall of Famers – Larry Bird, Kevin McHale , Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson and Bill Walton – who played with an intelligence that matched their intensity and confidence. Walton was able to finally shake off years of foot problems to back up Parish and Walton’s passing skills seemed to take Bird to an even higher level. The Celtics rolled to an NBA record 40-1 home mark during the regular season and by the time they reached The Finals against a young and powerful Houston team with Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson , the outcome was practically a foregone conclusion. No. 4: 1987 Los Angeles Lakers – With all due respect to the 1972 Lakers and their record 33-game winning streak, they and the NBA never had anything like a 6-foot-9 point guard in Magic Johnson . With Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy , this is was the season the Lakers went 65-17, won 10 of 11 playoff games in the first three rounds and had a relatively easy time beating Bird and the Celtics in The Finals 4-2. Magic’s baby sky hook won Game at Boston Garden to send them on their way and, when it was over, Pat Riley promised the Lakers would win it again the next year. And they did. No. 5: 1965 Boston Celtics – Including coach Red Auerbach , there were eight Hall of Famers in the locker room – Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones, Satch Sanders, Tom Heinsohn and a rookie named John Thompson . Sam Jones averaged 25.9 points per game to lead the way. But this was a Celtics team that was all about defense with K.C. Jones at the point and Russell in the middle. Russell averaged 24.1 rebounds per game. They handled the Lakers easily in The Finals, 4-1.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Good choices. Russell has said the 64 team was the best Celtic team he played on. But 65 was a heck of a team also. The 65 team almost lost to a 41-41 Sixers team(With Wilt though) Havlicek of course bailed them out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Worthy- If you're going to throw that Piston team into the mix you have to also place the 77 Blazer's in there..They were playing at an astounding level to beat a talented 76 "team" and were playing at 42 & 8 when Walton got hurt..Just reekin of reeko..
    Posted by tomobo

Agree that Blazers team of 77-78 would have repeated but Walton and Lucas and somebody else(forget who) got hurt. They finished 58-24 but were elimanted by Seattle I think?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Spoke with Hondo about that game against the Knicks. He called it "my separated shoulder" game. So he shot everything left-handed and still played an amazing game--I think it was 7-9 shooting. Gutty effort and one of the reasons he was my favorite player growing up. Those Knick teams also deserve some mention among the best ever. HOF Coach Red Holzman and a team that included HOF players Capt. Willis Reed, Bill Bradley, Dave DeBusschere, and Walt Frazier. Dick Barnett, Cazzie Russell, Dave Stallworth, and Mike Riordon were the major role players who made contributions. This team won 60 games in 1970, most ever for the franchise. The 1973 edition added Jerry Lucas and Earl Monroe, two other HOF players. Their passing the ball was an absolute thing of beauty--finding the open man almost always-- and they played tough defense too. This team gave NBA history one of its finest moments when Willis hobbled into MSG, made the first basket of the game, limped around for awhile, made another basket, and they were off and running to their first title ever in 1970. Even though it wasn't the Celtics, it was still a wonderful thing to watch! Great thread, RU Worthy!
    Posted by champs08

I grew up in the NYC area and hated those Knick teams, esp the 69-70 team...What an era for NY sports though... The Amazing Mets shocked the world, the Knicks  and the Jets..... probably the most improbable, shocking year or so in sports history all happening in NY..

Sections
Shortcuts