The forgotten man

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

The forgotten man

Young, our very young pick, may turn out to be the diamond in the rough.  The more I study the guy the more I think he has a shot at being a very good NBA player.  It is a gamble, but he has all the tools needed to develop into a star.  He is so young that he might just be a flop, but he also might the a bright star.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Re: The forgotten man

In response to romneywins' comment:

Young, our very young pick, may turn out to be the diamond in the rough.  The more I study the guy the more I think he has a shot at being a very good NBA player.  It is a gamble, but he has all the tools needed to develop into a star.  He is so young that he might just be a flop, but he also might the a bright star.

I feel anxiety over the James Young pick @ #17

It seemed like the Celtics really wanted one of the three guys picked just before.....Adrien Payne, TJ Warren or Jusef Nukic......

My anxiety comes from what I feel is a missed opportunity to get a guy the Celtics REALLY wanted, just like they did last season with Kelly Olynyk , they were there at #16 and knew Olynyk wouldn't be on the board when they picked, so they spent a few assets and $$$ and moved up to #13 to get a sure thing - and Kelly Olynyk has proven to be the real deal, is there any other returning Celtic player you're more excited to see this season than KO ?

My point is , this years #17 pick was from the KG/PP trade....I just think the Celtics should have moved up and gotten a 2nd "sure thing" in this years draft, another player who absolutely will be in the rotation and play at least 20 minutes a night as a rookie.....

James Young ? It scares me that he "seems" , especially with how invisible he's been since draft night , like the classic draftees who is "2 years away from being 2 years away" , like he's going to be a D League guy this season, will get some minutes next season, and then in his 3rd year is the young guy who is "2 years away from potentially being a solid contributor to the rotation?

Maybe James Young is invisible because Ainge is waiting for the 30 day period (players must be signed for 30 days before they can be traded) to pass before he can package James Young in a trade for another young player.

Any of those 3 players picked before James Young would have been a better fit on this roster and would have played serious minutes as a rookie.

My biggest fear is that James Young will play 5 minutes a game , get into 35 or 40 games , and we go into NEXT season still wondering if he can play.

Maybe you're right and James Young turns out to be a star player, borderline All Star like Klay Thompson, Chandler Parsons, Monta Ellis, Josh Smith , ect.......

It just scares me they didn't move up and get a sure thing like TJ Warren. Anyone see TJ Warren in the summer league ? He looked like a 5 year vet and his game is more than a little reminiscent than Paul Pierce's , just a natural flat out scorer who's going to average close to 20 points for the next 10 years....

Yes, James Young is the biggest question mark going into training camp......hope they didn't reach on a kid who's 2 years away from being 2 years away...........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

He's still only 18, so we need to give him some time.  I wanted Warren or Nurcic myself, as everyone knows.  But, they were gone, as was LaVine, so we took Young.  I would rather have Young than Head-Case-Hairston any day.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"hope they didn't reach on a kid who's 2 years away from being 2 years away..........."

Well, he's the only guard on our roster who can actually shoot the ball. If you're a fan of actually being able to shoot a basketball, you should feel good about James Young. 

This pick was not considered a "reach" by any of the folks who watch the draft closely. If anything it was more on the "steal" side. 

Every pick is a risk. You're talking about the 17th pick here, it's not worth losing sleep over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"hope they didn't reach on a kid who's 2 years away from being 2 years away..........."

This pick was not considered a "reach" by any of the folks who watch the draft closely. If anything it was more on the "steal" side. 

Wasn't Kobe Bryant 18 years old when he was drafted...?   .....I think Moses Malone entered the ABA at age 19...there are several youngsters who came into the league at a very young age.....some made it...even became stars....others did not....who knows what Young may become....he did look awfully good in the tournament from what I saw of him.....time will tell....

[/QUOTE]

THE DUKE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Agree.  I also would have taken Young before Warren, Nurcic and especially Lavine.  IMO he was the best and most complete player on the board with the most upside.  We are VERY fortunate that we was there for our second pick.  I expect that he'll be our starting SG in a couple of years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Who knows?! LOL...the kid is, well, A KID! You can't expect him to produce in any real meaningful way for AT LEAST 2 years when his real body growth will be at about an end and his maturity and physical filling out will begin. What does he know about playing in the NBA?! NOTHING...the kid is a blank page, perfect for a coach like ours.

I willing to give DA and his staff the benefit of the doubt on this one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktronic. Show ktronic's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Who knows?! LOL...the kid is, well, A KID! You can't expect him to produce in any real meaningful way for AT LEAST 2 years when his real body growth will be at about an end and his maturity and physical filling out will begin. What does he know about playing in the NBA?! NOTHING...the kid is a blank page, perfect for a coach like ours.

Gfy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to ktronic's comment:

Gfy

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Chairman of the Rondo Youth Brigade speaks eloquently, as usual!

And with that he shall join his fellow sophisticate Shamrock on the "IGNORE" list! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to ktronic's comment:

Gfy

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Chairman of the Rondo Youth Brigade speaks eloquently, as usual!

And with that he shall join his fellow sophisticate Shamrock on the "IGNORE" list! 

Phewwww!!!! thought you had forgotten about me Cindersmella......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

shamrock, with all due respect, Give our Melly a break. You may be one of the clueless Rondont lovers or not agree with Melly, but he is one of only a handful of knowledgeable, funny, and entertaining posters on this and the Patriots boards. Disagree with more class.  This board is not worth high blood pressure.  Its entertainment. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

shamrock, with all due respect, Give our Melly a break. You may be one of the clueless Rondont lovers or not agree with Melly, but he is one of only a handful of knowledgeable, funny, and entertaining posters on this and the Patriots boards. Disagree with more class.  This board is not worth high blood pressure.  Its entertainment. 

With all due respect Eldunker, Smelderado is a grown man. One, who by the way, relentlessly insults other posters whom he disagrees with. I think even Sir Smellingsworth himself would agree that if you are gonna dish it out, you have to be ready to take it too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Dunky, thanks for your support...don't worry at all...in one ear and out the other....IGNORE is a perfect device when someone's delicate sensibilities have been ruffled for lord knows what reason...let him shake his tail feathers...who cares? It's the net!

Here's to a better season than last!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

I have very low expectations for Young this season. Who is he going to take minutes from? Green? Smart? Wallace? Bradley? All of them will play ahead of Young at the 2 or 3. And he missed ALL of Summer League! Not good. He is in Gabe Pruitt territory at the moment.

June 17, 2008
    Boston 131
    L.A. Lakers 92

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to cshashaty's comment:

I have very low expectations for Young this season. Who is he going to take minutes from? Green? Smart? Wallace? Bradley? All of them will play ahead of Young at the 2 or 3. And he missed ALL of Summer League! Not good. He is in Gabe Pruitt territory at the moment.

June 17, 2008
    Boston 131
    L.A. Lakers 92

See , that's what I'm talking about, J. Young is in Gabe Pruitt territory when it comes to rookie playing time, that's dangerous. They have to clear up the roster so James Young HAS to play 20 minutes every night.......this rookie needs to play every night, none of this appearing in 35 games and averaging 7 minutes a game and playing 20 D League games , that's Gabe Pruitt territory, JD Giddons, Kedrick Brown (ouch !)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[/QUOTE]

I feel anxiety over the James Young pick @ #17

It seemed like the Celtics really wanted one of the three guys picked just before.....Adrien Payne, TJ Warren or Jusef Nukic......

My anxiety comes from what I feel is a missed opportunity to get a guy the Celtics REALLY wanted, just like they did last season with Kelly Olynyk , they were there at #16 and knew Olynyk wouldn't be on the board when they picked, so they spent a few assets and $$$ and moved up to #13 to get a sure thing - and Kelly Olynyk has proven to be the real deal, is there any other returning Celtic player you're more excited to see this season than KO ? 

[/QUOTE]

It seems pointless to compare the kid to players taken before him. The picks after him are those that should be used for comparisons. It's been reported many times that Ainge tried to trade up but had no takers; it wasn't that he didn't, it was that he couldn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I dont think he gets the minutes you want PHX.  Some of the guys we passed probably would have gotten more playing time, so now we have to deal with his youth and inexperience whether we like it or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to billge's comment:

I dont think he gets the minutes you want PHX.  Some of the guys we passed probably would have gotten more playing time, so now we have to deal with his youth and inexperience whether we like it or not.

this year is going to be like watching paint dry.  give ALL the young'uns their minutes and let's see who's worth having on a team after this year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hello, I am Maud A1 just here to say that I am the new Maud for the Celtics front burner board and I would like to tell you that I will be fair and unbalanced. It would appear that my first intervention whill be the affair of the Mel -Shamrock don'tgetalong..  While it may or may not be true that Shamrock is the Shamwow guy, and as an aside, I heard those charges in Miami were dropped, I think that Mel is very judicious in stating his opinions, and as another aside, Mel we still on for dinner?, I ffind in Mel,s favor so I am afraid that the Sham will have to go to his room, but only for the afternoon. Wow this is tiring. Call me if you need me guys., as I was appointed by the powers that be (me). to tame this unruly board to the SATISFACTION of all . More later. Much , much later

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticfan71. Show celticfan71's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

With all due respect Eldunker, Smelderado is a grown man. One, who by the way, relentlessly insults other posters whom he disagrees with. I think even Sir Smellingsworth himself would agree that if you are gonna dish it out, you have to be ready to take it too.

Eldunker - I agree, the shamrock kid might have taken it too far with a post or two (though I did get a kick out of some of them). However, if ever a poster deserved to be so brutally schooled, it's this Mellymel character. I have been reading posts here for a while, and that guy is a blowhard and a bully. I have to admit, I almost enjoyed seeing him on the receiving end for once.

For the record, I am a "trade Rondo" guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

In response to cshashaty's comment:

June 17, 2008
    Boston 131
    L.A. Lakers 92

See , that's what I'm talking about, J. Young is in Gabe Pruitt territory when it comes to rookie playing time, that's dangerous. They have to clear up the roster so James Young HAS to play 20 minutes every night.......this rookie needs to play every night, none of this appearing in 35 games and averaging 7 minutes a game and playing 20 D League games , that's Gabe Pruitt territory, JD Giddons, Kedrick Brown (ouch !)

true

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to celticfan71's comment:

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

Eldunker - I agree, the shamrock kid might have taken it too far with a post or two (though I did get a kick out of some of them). However, if ever a poster deserved to be so brutally schooled, it's this Mellymel character. I have been reading posts here for a while, and that guy is a blowhard and a bully. I have to admit, I almost enjoyed seeing him on the receiving end for once.

For the record, I am a "trade Rondo" guy.

LOL...thanks Shamwow dude... ya can't hide under a new name...BTW, you sound just like a certain NY Jets troll from the football threads ....IGNORE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hello, I am Maud A1 just here to say that I am the new Maud for the Celtics front burner board and I would like to tell you that I will be fair and unbalanced. It would appear that my first intervention whill be the affair of the Mel -Shamrock don'tgetalong..  While it may or may not be true that Shamrock is the Shamwow guy, and as an aside, I heard those charges in Miami were dropped, I think that Mel is very judicious in stating his opinions, and as another aside, Mel we still on for dinner?, I ffind in Mel,s favor so I am afraid that the Sham will have to go to his room, but only for the afternoon. Wow this is tiring. Call me if you need me guys., as I was appointed by the powers that be (me). to tame this unruly board to the SATISFACTION of all . More later. Much , much later

LMAO...still on old timer...we old dudes have to eat our oatmeal together!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

this year is going to be like watching paint dry.  give ALL the young'uns their minutes and let's see who's worth having on a team after this year. 

Agreed....a long, slow year with few decent subplots if the young guys don't get a chance to play and get better....no real "5", two "stars" that aren't stars at all and who'd be far better off personally and professionally on other teams and a team that cannot attract decent free agents...the proof on the last point is the actual lack of good FA's signed.....the eyes don't lie!....unless the young guys play well and look to be improving even with contract dumps and lots of available $$$ to spend who will come here if there's no plausible chance to win a championship within the length of their contract term?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I fear the young guys will be pretty much like the Sox young guys.  Young guys, not young guns.

Sections
Shortcuts