The Great Point Guard (Rondo) Debate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

The Great Point Guard (Rondo) Debate

With the influx of many talented point guards over the past 5+ years, the NBA is rich with PG's who can shoot, score, pass, distribute, defend, run offenses, and can quarter-back their team to be a formidable threat night in and out. However, no two are built the same. With that said, there's also 30 teams in this league. Each having about 2 PG's per team. That's roughly 60 PG's in the league (true PG's/combo PG's, what have you).

The debate is where our beloved/intolerable Rajon Rondo falls into this group of the worlds elite. I personally don't understand why people would want to get rid of him considering he easily falls into the top 5-10 PG's in the league (arguably). So here we are, having a top 5-10 PG out of roughly 60 in the league, and some want to complain about his game, relationships, ego, etc. Are we this spoiled in Boston that a top 10 elite PG in the world, isn't good enough for us? Why? Cause he's not the total package that CP3 or DRose is? Even though some of his #'s eclipse theirs? Tries to pad his stats (who doesn't)? Nobody on his team likes him (arguable again)? Personally, I'm just tickled that we have an elite PG here in Boston. He may not be the one you want, but at least we have one. And it happens to be the one who's the most fun to watch with his creativity and smart play.

So all you who love to point fingers, and need to stick people in catagories of hater/supporter or whatever. Appreciate what you have here in Boston. All the experts agree he's a rare and unique talent. Enjoy him while he lasts. We are all entitled to our own opinion. Don't bash, single out, try to out-wit, or resort to childish name-calling towards others when their opinions don't match yours.

That's my take on this whole thing. Unique talent like Rondo is too far and few in between to just toss away. We may not see another as good as him in a C's uniform for another 20+ years people. Appreciate what we have. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: The Great Point Guard (Rondo) Debate

Well said. I certainly appreciate him. I do however need to point one thing out.

"Don't bash, single out, try to out-wit..."

OK,the first two parts are all well and good, but I will absolutely try to outwit if outwit is to formulate a more rational and fact based opinion than another on this board. If your opinion is that everyone in the locker room hates Rondo, I am not going to politely respect your opinion. I am going to ask for evidence to back that up and point out that there is a history of players actually loving Rondo as a teammate and point you to the comments of those closest to the situation like Grande, Max, Tommy, Scal, and even Danny.

So no, its never ever a requirement to respect ones opinion if it is not respectable. Otherwise, good post sir.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

We need someone to make plays next year. The only good passers we have next year are rondo, sully (if), and olny.  Assists without rondo will be rare.

Take a guy like lee.  He can pass to a target, but doesn't seem as aware of the options.  Crawford sees the rim altough I think he has potential to expand his game more than other 2s on this roster   including brooks. 

anyway, we will need rondo to make this work at all.  Even an equal pg like teal for example wouldn't necessarily fit as well, because he penetrates to score more and shoots more (better of course.)

plus rondo will be exciting and sell some tickets.  He gives us a face for now. The more I think about it the more I think rondo stays at least a year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

He's being paid vets min to come in and clothesline Lebron in the second round.

weird, I posted this to the mwp thread

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

That's my take on this whole thing. Unique talent like Rondo is too far and few in between to just toss away. We may not see another as good as him in a C's uniform for another 20+ years people. Appreciate what we have. 

there are very few Celtic fans who want to "just toss away" Rondo.

I doubt the majority of Celtic fans see Rondo as a talent that we may not see in another 20 years also....that would be futre hall of fame type player.

In MY opinion you over value Rondos' play...that said he IS a top 5-10 PG in the NBA currently.

so those of us that are OK with Rondo being traded now or soon or even promote him being moved in this re-build. see it as a way to get better in the long run.

no one wants to"toss Rondo away for nothing". Personally I would be happy to get say Monroe and Knight for Rondo. I see it as making the Celtics a better team in the long run.

ROndo is the top PG in assists (or was with Pierce and KG anyway).

He also is a bad FT shooter and has little 3 pt range

you can't accept one without the other and they both matter if you have the ball in your hands at crunch time.

you also need to remember that ROndo is going to wnt MAX money in two years. when he wil be 29  I think. I beleive THAT also changes the equation on Rondos' value to the team.

While I am fine with him being here at current salary (if Management decides it's best) I thnk he is VERY over valued at max money.

yes there are a FEW on this board who you could call "Rondo haters" ,,, they thnk he has NO vlaue whatever.

there are also some here who apparently think Rondo is a future hall of famer

most here see the truth as somewhere in the middle

Look, If Pierce can be traded, becasue the team thinks it will make the celtics better, then Rondo is NOT un-touchable and SHOULDN'T be in anyones mind....IMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Well said. I certainly appreciate him. I do however need to point one thing out.

"Don't bash, single out, try to out-wit..."

OK,the first two parts are all well and good, but I will absolutely try to outwit if outwit is to formulate a more rational and fact based opinion than another on this board. If your opinion is that everyone in the locker room hates Rondo, I am not going to politely respect your opinion. I am going to ask for evidence to back that up and point out that there is a history of players actually loving Rondo as a teammate and point you to the comments of those closest to the situation like Grande, Max, Tommy, Scal, and even Danny.

So no, its never ever a requirement to respect ones opinion if it is not respectable. Otherwise, good post sir.

Its kinda hard to take anything seriously from a guy who calls himself R9R when he talks about Rondo. It like hearing a Mom talk about their own child. Come on R9R, you cant see past the Rajon Rondo fat head you have on your bedroom ceiling, Dude!  What a joke U r, and so pathetic.  I bet you have a Rondo tattoo. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

I doubt the majority of Celtic fans see Rondo as a talent that we may not see in another 20 years also....that would be futre hall of fame type player.

In MY opinion you over value Rondos' play...that said he IS a top 5-10 PG in the NBA currently.

so those of us that are OK with Rondo being traded now or soon or even promote him being moved in this re-build. see it as a way to get better in the long run.

no one wants to"toss Rondo away for nothing". Personally I would be happy to get say Monroe and Knight for Rondo. I see it as making the Celtics a better team in the long run.

you can't accept one without the other and they both matter if you have the ball in your hands at crunch time.

you also need to remember that ROndo is going to wnt MAX money in two years. when he wil be 29  I think. I beleive THAT also changes the equation on Rondos' value to the team.

While I am fine with him being here at current salary (if Management decides it's best) I thnk he is VERY over valued at max money.

yes there are a FEW on this board who you could call "Rondo haters" ,,, they thnk he has NO vlaue whatever.

Look, If Pierce can be traded, becasue the team thinks it will make the celtics better, then Rondo is NOT un-touchable and SHOULDN'T be in anyones mind....IMO

Please don't mock me. That's rude. I think you've gotten off base with what this thread is about my friend. I'm comparing Rondo to other current, elite PG's. Not his trade value, contracts, or whether or not he should even be traded (which I'm not against).

"I doubt the majority of Celtic fans see Rondo as a talent that we may not see in another 20 years also". I'm not sure if I was just insulted or not. I thought I was also in the "majority" of C's fans... Anyway, looking back.... when was the last time we had someone of Rondos' caliber at the point? I'm talking about what he is.... a perenial allstar among the elite PG's in the league, who's also had his name thrown around in MVP talks. These are facts, not opinion. Dennis Johnson is the only other 1 close in my mind. How long ago was that? 20+ years, right? Rondo is not only a top assist PG, but also one of the top rebounders as well. Something this team desparetly needs.

As a side note - I happen to think Monroe and Knight for Rondo is tossing him away. What credentials do they have? But that's just me. I can't speak for the majority. I don't expect us all to agree on trade ideas. In fact, I love hearing all the different sides of the issue.

All the same, thanks for your input dude.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

"I personally don't understand why people would want to get rid of him considering he easily falls into the top 5-10 PG's in the league (arguably)."

Youre trying too hard to sound neutral but you give yourself away. He cant easily fall into the top 5-10 arguably...  

I dont think anyone suggests we get nothing for Rondo because some team will certainly give more than hes worth imo.. However, its impossible to reconcile losing the great PG to season ending injury and the team immediately turns a long losing streak into a long winning streak.

Did that happen when we lost KG or anyone else? Coincidence, right??

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

So Rondo is not a great PG because of what happened last season?

What about what Rondo did in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?

Like I said, if you can't acknowledge that Rondo is one of the great PGs in the NBA today, you're either a moron or a hater.

Fierce, what you show is that he WAS ranked #9 and that was based on him having  played with 3-HOFers his whole career. When he dropped down to 2, he went 20-23. Without any this year and recovering from ACL, what will he be? COME ON MAAAAAAAANNN! Good PG on a team with 3-HOFers is all.............

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

So Rondo is not a great PG because of what happened last season?

What about what Rondo did in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?

Like I said, if you can't acknowledge that Rondo is one of the great PGs in the NBA today, you're either a moron or a hater.

Rondo one of the great PGs in the NBA today..... and there was FUNGUS hating away two years ago with his maniacal "Occupy Rondo" efforts to get rid of our great ASPG... for some Laker doofus as I recall.

How quickly FUNGUS forgets who the moron/hater really is.

Look in the mirror, why don't you.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Please don't mock me. That's rude. I think you've gotten off base with what this thread is about my friend. I'm comparing Rondo to other current, elite PG's. Not his trade value, contracts, or whether or not he should even be traded (which I'm not against).

not sure how you feel I was "mocking" you with my post?

I certainly meant no dis-respect.

I was taking a part of what you said, that I took you to mean that Rondo is a  type of player that we haven't seen in Boston for 20 years.

to ME that means hall of fame type player.

I don't think that Rondo IS that type of player, that he has too many flaws. But that is just my opinion.

I understand others feel differently for sure.

as for contracts...well they DO matter in the NBA.

Rondo at $11M is different than Rondo at $5M or Rondo at $15M.

I still believe that before next season starts (not THIS coming season perhaps) Rondo will be traded away.

I think we all hope IF that happens the Celtics get a good bounty of players that make them better in the long run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

not sure how you feel I was "mocking" you with my post?

I certainly meant no dis-respect.

I was taking a part of what you said, that I took you to mean that Rondo is a  type of player that we haven't seen in Boston for 20 years.

to ME that means hall of fame type player.

I don't think that Rondo IS that type of player, that he has too many flaws. But that is just my opinion.

I understand others feel differently for sure.

as for contracts...well they DO matter in the NBA.

Rondo at $11M is different than Rondo at $5M or Rondo at $15M.

I still believe that before next season starts (not THIS coming season perhaps) Rondo will be traded away.

I think we all hope IF that happens the Celtics get a good bounty of players that make them better in the long run.

I just don't think contracts have any relevance when comparing the talents of elite PG's in the league. Didn't want to get off topic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

However, its impossible to reconcile losing the great PG to season ending injury and the team immediately turns a long losing streak into a long winning streak.

lots easier to reconcile, karl, when one immediately preceeds the two streaks you reference with two more streaks of 6 wins and 4 losses all of which included rondo excepting the knicks win. yep, them '12-'13 Cs were a streaky bunch and - as it turned out - basically a crap team with or without 9.

bp

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

"Youre trying too hard to sound neutral but you give yourself away. He cant easily fall into the top 5-10 arguably..."

Didn't know I was trying to be Mr. Secret Agent Man on this topic. Concensus says he's a top 10 PG. perenial allstar. name thrown around in MVP voting (all repeating myself). yet I have him over valued? ....OK

"some team will certainly give more than hes worth imo..."

Ah... that gives you away too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I blame the Arabs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.