The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.

1. Bill Russell Celtics
    2. Abdul Jabbar  Lakers
    3. Kobe Bryant  Lakers
    4. Larry Bird     Celtics
    5. John Havilcek  Celtics
    6. Jerry West   Lakers
    7. Shaquille O'neill  Lakers
    8. Bob Cousy  Celtics
    9. Elgin Baylor Lakers
    10. Paul Pierce Celtics

The Celts and the Lakers have been the cream of the crop since foundation, I have left out George Mikan who I never saw play, and this may be a mistake , but I would like too see how the objective fans rate their favorite Celt laker combined top ten. Just for fun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.

In Response to The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.:
    [QUOTE]1. Bill Russell Celtics 2. Abdul Jabbar  Lakers 3. Kobe Bryant  Lakers 4. Larry Bird     Celtics 5. John Havilcek  Celtics 6. Jerry West   Lakers 7. Shaquille O'neill  Lakers 8. Bob Cousy  Celtics 9. Elgin Baylor Lakers 10. Paul Pierce Celtics The Celts and the Lakers have been the cream of the crop since foundation, I have left out George Mikan who I never saw play, and this may be a mistake , but I would like too see how the objective fans rate their favorite Celt laker combined top ten. Just for fun.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

I  didn't include Wilt , who was a legend and probably would have been the most dominant player of his era, except for the fact that he played against the greatest player of all time Bill Russell. Also Wilts greatest years were in Philadelphia , he also had bad years with the Warriors in SF.  Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. :

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun.:
    [QUOTE]I  didn't include Wilt , who was a legend and probably would have been the most dominant player of his era, except for the fact that he played against the greatest player of all time Bill Russell. Also Wilts greatest years were in Philadelphia , he also had bad years with the Warriors in SF.  Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. :

wow are you kidding you will have to move shaq up to 2 or three the best big man ever to dominate an era

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : wow are you kidding you will have to move shaq up to 2 or three the best big man ever to dominate an era
    Posted by vegasredsox[/QUOTE]

sorry as i look even more PP over magic who you left out he could be in the 3 or 4 range and PP not even in their class and im a celtics fan

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I can't speak to the eras before the 80s, and I'm going to break my list in two:

Lakers:
    Magic
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Cooper (defense is half the game)
    Worthy
    Wilkes
    Scott
    Gasol
    Green

Celtics:
    Bird
    McHale
    Pierce
    Garnett
    Parish
    Rondo
    DJ
    Maxwel
    Ray
    Archibald

And since we're about to play the 76ers:
    DrJ
    Malone
    Iverson
    Dawkins
    Toney
    Cheeks
    Motumbo
    Jones, Bobby (as good a defender as cooper)
    Collins
    Hollins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Anyone that puts Kobe over Bird is a moron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

How about comparing "original" Hall of Fame players from each team...? .....meaning they started their careers with the franchise.....each team has 10...

Celtics:

Cousy
    Russell
    Ramsey
    Havlicek
    S Jones
    Heinsohn
    KC Jones
    Cowens
    Bird
    McHale

many would place three others on this list....but each played one season with another franchise to start their career

Macauley (StL Bombers)
    Sharman (Wash Caps)
    Risen (Roch Royals)

Lakers:

Baylor
    Goodrich
    Johnson
    Lovellette
    Martin
    Mikan
    Mikkelsen
    Pollard
    Worthy
    West

Interestingly, all 10 Celtics starred in the shot clock era....8 Lakers did as well....(Mikan retired the year the shot clock was introduced which was the 54/55 season...he came back the next year but played sparingly and retired again....Jim Pollard also played in the inaugural season)...

These teams have such a storied history and, like the number of championships, mirror each other in so many ways....

footnote: I'm not sure why the Lakers first title, won in the BAA counts in the NBA list of champions....when the NBA was formed (49/50) I believe it consisted of twelve teams....the league began to contract a few years later, leaving the Royals, Warriors, Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Hawks, and the Nats..most of these franchises moved to larger cities...only Boston, New York, and Stl retained their franchises...(the Bombers would become the Hawks...)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I have vowed to not join the insanity.  And I will not engage in any baiting.  However, I find this thread interesting................so, I will list my top 15 by position, even though some may not belong to either BOS or LAL.

1st team all-time
    Magic
    MJ
    Bird
    Duncan
    Russell

2nd team all-time
    Big O
    Bryant
    Dr. J
    McHale
    Kareem

3rd team all-time
    Stockton (for now)
    West
    Worthy
    K. Malone
    Olajawon

That's it - as you can see - mostly BOS or LAL anyway.....my apologies to Wilt, Pippen, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor and Shaq!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I'd have to put Baylor ahead of Dr J.....and Wilt ahead of Olajawon....but that's just me....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Um. Where is Magic. And Bird at 4. Crazy list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Is this a list of the best players in NBA history to ever to play for the franchises or who was the best as a Laker and Celtic in their careers for the teams and how they stack up in a top 10?

Wilt doesn't make a list of comparing the Greatest Celtcs/Lakers b/c he played there for just 5 years, same w/ KG and Ray.

Kareem meanwhile had an entire career worth of seasons just on LA despite his 6 seasons, 3 MVP's and 1 championship as a Buck he still has 5 titles and 3 MVP's as a Laker.

This is a pretty accurate version:

1. Russell
    2. Kareem
    3. Magic
    4. Bird
    5. Kobe
    6. West
    7. Havlicek
    8. Shaq
    9. Pierce
    10. Cousy

Baylor would be 11. You could really swap/debate Kareem and Magic as the greatest Laker ever all day long. Kobe will never pass Bird even if he has 5 titles to his 3 and they both have 2 finals MVP's b/c of Kobe being a known selfish player who was basically Pippen for his first 8-9 years to Shaq's Jordan and his best years (05-08) were some of his Laker teams worst. He got only 1 MVP while Birds dominant streak from 83-88 was the teams best and he was MVP THREE times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone that puts Kobe over Bird is a moron
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

For the record, I do not put Kobe over Bird.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Do even trolls understand that Kobe for the first three titles he won was a very small factor?  Kobe is from an era of overhype where players flashiness and lack of substance is overweighted in determining a player's greatness.  Jordan light is all he really is.  An immensely talented but selfish player.

Larry Bird is the polar opposite, brilliant as a team player with equal individual skill to match.  I will always maintain that Bird and Magic were superior as players due to the renaissance period they played in.  Jordan being younger never competed with them when they were at their best.  After Jordan started winning Bird and Magic were gone and the league was no longer as balanced and full of talent.  If Magic and Bird had not played against each other head to head those eight titles would have gone to one or the other.  Not saying Jordan was not great but the league was not as good when he won his six.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : Do even trolls understand that Kobe for the first three titles he won was a very small factor?  Kobe is from an era of overhype where players flashiness and lack of substance is overweighted in determining a player's greatness.  Jordan light is all he really is.  An immensely talented but selfish player. Larry Bird is the polar opposite, brilliant as a team player with equal individual skill to match.  I will always maintain that Bird and Magic were superior as players due to the renaissance period they played in.  Jordan being younger never competed with them when they were at their best.  After Jordan started winning Bird and Magic were gone and the league was no longer as balanced and full of talent.  If Magic and Bird had not played against each other head to head those eight titles would have gone to one or the other.  Not saying Jordan was not great but the league was not as good when he won his six.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]I am not a fan of Kobe Bryant's as either a teammate or an off court individual. But it is not fair to say Kobe was a small factor in the early 2000 run of three championships.

When any game as in crunch time the Lakers had one player to go through and it wasn't Shaq because of his foul shooting. In fact often Jackson would take O'Neal off the floor to avoid Hack-a-Shaq.

Kobe Bryant is a stunning talent. I gained a lot of respect for him in Game 7 in 2010 when he could not hit a shot, so he went to boards and killed us with rebounds.

I think it is hard to compare other players to Bird and Magic. Very complete players...  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

How Elgin Baylor doesn't pop into your mind means you never saw him play.
    Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Kobe are on a different plane.
    Russell
    Bird
    Cousy
    Havlicek
    McHale
    The first names I think of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : Do even trolls understand that Kobe for the first three titles he won was a very small factor?  Kobe is from an era of overhype where players flashiness and lack of substance is overweighted in determining a player's greatness.  Jordan light is all he really is.  An immensely talented but selfish player. Larry Bird is the polar opposite, brilliant as a team player with equal individual skill to match.  I will always maintain that Bird and Magic were superior as players due to the renaissance period they played in.  Jordan being younger never competed with them when they were at their best.  After Jordan started winning Bird and Magic were gone and the league was no longer as balanced and full of talent.  If Magic and Bird had not played against each other head to head those eight titles would have gone to one or the other.  Not saying Jordan was not great but the league was not as good when he won his six.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

there literaly dozens of 20-25ppg swingmen who would have won titles with the Shaq/Phil Lakers.

You could have put Vince or TMac or another all-star who didn't have the wrong attitude like Kobe did (you know, desperate desire to be an alphadog and pad his stats to improve his 'historic legacy' over working with shaq to add more rings) on those teams and not only would they have won the 3 in a row... but likely a few more in the 03-07 range as well.

If you put Kelly Tripucka, Bernard King, Kiki Vandewege, James Worthy, Adrian Dantley on the celtics in place of Bird, they do not win 3 titles and go to 5 NBA finals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]How Elgin Baylor doesn't pop into your mind means you never saw him play. Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Kobe are on a different plane. Russell Bird Cousy Havlicek McHale The first names I think of.
    Posted by JohnTAlouette[/QUOTE]

I never saw him play

but I put him at 11th, right after Cousy at 10

they certainly wouldn't dominate today's game the way they did their own, but both were the guys that blazed the paths for Rondo, CP3, Pierce, LeBron, etc. and would still be very good players even in 2012

no ring for Elgin tho... thats why the Cooz edges him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BynumizaHERO. Show BynumizaHERO's posts

I do not see Bynum on anyone's list?

And for the record, I DO put Kobe over Bird as anyone with common basketball knowledge would also do.

Thanks!

Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

You are a prophet!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : there literaly dozens of 20-25ppg swingmen who would have won titles with the Shaq/Phil Lakers. You could have put Vince or TMac or another all-star who didn't have the wrong attitude like Kobe did (you know, desperate desire to be an alphadog and pad his stats to improve his 'historic legacy' over working with shaq to add more rings) on those teams and not only would they have won the 3 in a row... but likely a few more in the 03-07 range as well. If you put Kelly Tripucka, Bernard King, Kiki Vandewege, James Worthy, Adrian Dantley on the celtics in place of Bird, they do not win 3 titles and go to 5 NBA finals.
    Remember after Shaq left for Miami he said he would have preferred Paul Pierce instead of Kobe.  Calling him the Truth.  With Paul they would have won at least one more title.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : You are a prophet!!!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

haha, either a moron or a teenager but either way, someone who has no clue about the history of the game... even if I can't remember the layers from the 60' and 70's I've pored over their states online and read dozens of biographies... can't let the pink hats ruin a real discussion with weak sauce like 'Kobe over Bird' haha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

1. Russell

2. Magic

3. Bird

4. Kareem

5. Kobe

6. Havlichek

7. West

8. Cousy

9. Baylor

10.Pierce

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bird beats Kobe in almost every category.....different positions but comparing two basketball superstars....

Kobe gets the nod in scoring avg...25.4 to 24.3....but Bird wins in FGP (.496 to .453)...3 Pt Shooting (.376 to .337)...and FTP (.886 to .838).....simply put...Kobe shot more...

Bird is tops in RPG (10.0 to 5.3).....SPG (1.7 to 1.5).....APG (6.3 to 4.7).....BPG (0.8 to 0.5).....

Kobe wins the turnover battle (3.0 to 3.1).....

Statistics favor Bird....also Bird won 3 consecutive MVP's and was top 5 an additional 11 times.....Kobe won 1 MVP and was top 5 7 times

Kobe has 5 titles to Bird's 3......but Bird was the Alpha Dog his entire career....Kobe played Robin to Shaq's Batman....

Bird all day long.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Greatest Celtic, Laker top ten team. Just for fun. : Remember after Shaq left for Miami he said he would have preferred Paul Pierce instead of Kobe.  Calling him the Truth.  With Paul they would have won at least one more title.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Great point

The NBA would have been a more enjoyable league if a selfish bad human being like Kobe Bryant got to go for stats and never win a title in his hometown of Philly (where he'd go if the '96 draft was done over)

Shaq woulda loved being paired with Pierce (or even someone like Iverson or TMac) and won at least 1 more title as you said in his LA career.

and I'd have loved my Celtics to end up with Ray-Duncan-Dirk out of the 96-98 drafts:-)

Sections
Shortcuts