The Knicks Will Make the Celtics a Better Team

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

Re: The Knicks Will Make the Celtics a Better Team

yes i agree...i also think that the knicks would have beat the heat! which is why it sucks we didnt get the 2nd seed...but this will give us some momentum going into the second round

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

My LA buddy says we made LA a "grimmier" team with our "grimy" defense....  but I'll buy into this assumption. 

We can only get better, and more efficient as time goes on. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

You both are so wrong it's ridiculous.  MIAMI PLAYS DEFENSE!  Plain and simple.  How can a first round series stuggle against NY make us a better team?  There is nothing going on in this series that will make the Celtics better.  We cannot score against THEM?  They are causing our starters to get extended minutes IN THE FIRST ROUND.  We're going to be exhausted BEFORE we even play the Heat.

The Knicks would never be able to stay with Miami merely because Miami CAN SCORE and PLAY DEFENSE.  I know Melo had a great game but we almost let Melo and the Four Cab Drivers beat us IN THE GARDEN in a PLAYOFF GAME.  I'm sorry but that is inexcusable.  Yes, it's inexcusable to ALMOST let them beat us.  I know we won but we should not have ALMOST lost.  Nothing about this series currently or in the future will make the Celtics better.

We played Miami a week ago from Sunday and got "run".  We are STILL playing like that team TODAY.  If THIS TEAM were to meet Miami in the 2nd round of the playoffs, THIS TEAM would not stand a chance.  We'd get "run" again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to The Knicks Will Make the Celtics a Better Team:
    I think the Celtics will advance and play the Heat in the 2nd round. This series against the Knicks is a good exercise for the Celts. The Heat also have 3 great players and don't have a dominant big man, so there are similarities.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I agree, 7 and 6 in the playoffs this year will be a very good accomplishment and provide the much needed incentive to improve for next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

its funny that everyone attacks miami's lack of a big man...but has anyone seen the way bosh has been playing? 20 and 10 is still 20 points and 10+ rebounds of production

plus joel anthony is playing very inspired defense at the hoop right now...add big Z and possibly haslem in the 2nd round and miami is going to be a very, very tough out for anyone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

This thread has nothing to do with the Heat!

I agree, Petey, I think we are in trouble, but they always seem to find a way to win.  I think we get by the first two rounds, then have another classic with the Bulls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from strider9. Show strider9's posts

What's with all the negativity surrounding the Celtics? They won. We have't been playing well the last month or so. We played better but the Knicks aren't really a 6th seed. I full expect them to challange for the best record in the east next year. I want to see how we play in Madison Square Garden before I write them off. I think J.O. gives us a chance to play better perimiter defense which is what we are lacking lately.(no need to double-team) Carmello being Carmello. He does what he does. You CANNOT stop him when he's hot. Period!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framdude. Show framdude's posts

I hope so, but only from the standpoint of getting the bench guys acclimated to the playoffs. But after watching last year's playoff series, I can safely say what happens in one series stays in that series. Just ask Orlando last year, they swept both their series and ended up losing. Cleveland swept Chicago and ended up losing. so it is futile to predict the outcome of one series based on the performance of another series.
    matchups dictate the flow of the game/series and the fact that we struggle during this series does not necessarily mean that we will get burned in the next series. let us close out NY to worry about MIA. even MIA has not done anything yet, they have to go and beat PHI in Philly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

framdude, you make a valid point.  However, Miami HAS done something.  They destroyed a decent 7 seed who was at full strength by attacking and never letting up.  We are playing a 6 seed at less than full strength AT HOME and we're stuggling to win.

stider9 said it right -- let's see how we play in MSG.

Let's win THIS series.  But the premise of the thread "The Knicks Will....." is crazy.  They aren't making us better.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, the Celtics are already battle-tested so I don't know how much better we'll be winning some close games against NY.  That's why WE'RE winning them, because we're already better in those situations.  Not sure how much better this will make us when we're already comfortable in those situations.

The one area that Miami excels in that the Knicks don't is with DEFENSE.  Miami's 3 get after you in ways that NY's don't.  Also I think what Wade brings makes Miami's 3 superior to NY's.

Joel Anthony seems to cause our bigs trouble but I'd like to "think" he could not outplay our bigs over a playoff series.  However, the way they've been playing, who is to say that our big 4 will outplay their big 3?

THIS Celtics team is not the team that owned Miami for the first 3 meetings.  THIS Celtics team is more like the one that got blown out just two weeks ago.  And honestly, it's disturbing that they truly have not improved much since that loss in Miami.

I just hope we come out focused on Friday and steal a win.  I want this series ended so we can move on to the 2nd round as quickly as possible.  We don't need to let Miami rest and wait for us while we "muck" around with NY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: The Knicks Will Make the Celtics a Better Team:
    You both are so wrong it's ridiculous.  MIAMI PLAYS DEFENSE!  Plain and simple.  How can a first round series stuggle against NY make us a better team?  There is nothing going on in this series that will make the Celtics better.  We cannot score against THEM?  They are causing our starters to get extended minutes IN THE FIRST ROUND.  We're going to be exhausted BEFORE we even play the Heat. The Knicks would never be able to stay with Miami merely because Miami CAN SCORE and PLAY DEFENSE.  I know Melo had a great game but we almost let Melo and the Four Cab Drivers beat us IN THE GARDEN in a PLAYOFF GAME.  I'm sorry but that is inexcusable.  Yes, it's inexcusable to ALMOST let them beat us.  I know we won but we should not have ALMOST lost.  Nothing about this series currently or in the future will make the Celtics better. We played Miami a week ago from Sunday and got "run".  We are STILL playing like that team TODAY.  If THIS TEAM were to meet Miami in the 2nd round of the playoffs, THIS TEAM would not stand a chance.  We'd get "run" again.
    Posted by Petey62

Agree with most of this

The game 2 Rondo is not playing like he was over 2 weeks ago in miami

JON is better, I have to think Green and Delonte will be more adjusted to their roles come the 2nd rd.

Rondo WILL outplay whoever they throw at him by a wide margin.

The combination of KG/JON in 42-44 mins on Bosh will mean we have two taller guys known for being tough vets who will not be playing the same high mins as Bosh. I like them to outproduce him.

Green needs to do the same thing with LBJ. We can't make it a match-up of our big 3 vs. theirs. It has to be Ray with some DWest and PP vs. Wade. PP and Green vs. LBJ and

Baby and hopefully Shaq then long the mins vs. Anthony, Howard and Ilguaskas. While the scraps they give to Jones, Miller and chalmers can be set-up so we have Ray or Paul on Jones, Paul or Green on Miller and DWest on chalmers.

We need to beta Miami with rested efficient multitude of defenders and getting out to quick leads that hopefully feature the O'Neal bro's and KG being nasty down low and rondo pulling a NY game 2 and running it down their throats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

rameakap, all of that sounds good "on paper".  However, I am not taking anybody's "one game" performance, especially when it happens to be his (Rondo's) career playoff scoring high and counting that as playing different over a 2 or 3 week period.  I would not expect Rondo to play like he did in game 2.  But what I am saying is that these guys have been playing consistently "inconsistent" since the trade deadline.  We've done that before but we've noticeably "flipped the switch" come playoff time.  For some reason, we just can't reach that switch now.  This IS NOT year's past.

JON should be able to outplay his counterpart for Miami.  Green and Delonte should dominate Miller and Chalmers.  Our bigs should outplay their bigs.

That's what we say but that hasn't been what's happening on the court.  And that's what concerns me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You'd have to expect averages of Rondo's close to last years Cavs series of 20 points, 12 assists and 7 rebounds to know we'd win in 6.

His total playoff avg's from last year probs gets us to a do or die game 7... that being 15.8p 9.3a 5.5r and 1.9 steals.

Anything less than that and we lose in 5 or 6.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fiercest34, I agree but I am not so sure that the situations of game 1 and game 2 were beneficial in the least to our newcomers.  Doc doesn't seem to trust anyone other than the guys who have always been there.  JON and Shaq are proven battle-tested players.  However, I'm not so sure the big 4 will need to be battle-tested with them as much as with Baby.

Right now, none of the newcomers are even in the vicinity of playing clutch minutes in these games and, honestly, it doesn't look like Doc believes in them right now.  Green and Krstic played a tough 6 game series last year against LA.

I just believe the guys who will be on the court for clutch minutes are guys who've been together for years now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from strider9. Show strider9's posts

I personally believe the Heat pose only a slight improvement over Cavs from year. The Celtics have played down to a lower level recently. And now they are not as familiar with the newer players. I feel confident in our core group of players minus Big Baby who cannot seem to find his outside touch and seems to be making mistakes on his defense as well. I wouldn't stay with BBD if he doesn't perform over the next couple of games. We can't count on the new guys when they haven't produced and we can't count on having Shaq back either. All said I still believe we can get the job done but we probably wont be dominant like the last couple of years.

Sections
Shortcuts