The Need for Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: The Need for Perk

BINGO!

HAHAHA!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KG makes Shaq a lot better.  I hope Perk is good but this guy is very limited.  When he is in there let's not forget the incredible number of ill timed turnovers he makes. He can kill you that way.  Shaq should definitely start unless his game unravels.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Shaq should start, not a good idea to start Perk this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

I don't think it really matters who starts. Shaq just plays 20 minutes a game anyway.  Perk will be fighting for minutes with JON and Davis.  Shaq's minutes wont change.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: The Need for Perk:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it really matters who starts. Shaq just plays 20 minutes a game anyway.  Perk will be fighting for minutes with JON and Davis.  Shaq's minutes wont change.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

Shaq is very effective in the 1st qtr. That's where most of his points come from.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

when it comes down to it, i think Shaq will be alot better against backup centers on the bench. as Rondo normally stays in the game with the bench alot of the time, i dont think shaq getting the ball will be a problem. i think hes going to be used very sparingly, in key situations (putting fouls on ppl, enforcer). Remember the defensive capability we have with Perk in the lineup. 

also, remember at the beginning of last year when perk came in doing well on offense AND defense..he developed that little hook and jumper..it started to disintegrate as the season wore on, but he said he has been working alot on that. if that Perkins comes back, i dont think there is a question he needs to start if hes healthy enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : Shaq is very effective in the 1st qtr. That's where most of his points come from.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

That might be just because he gets tired man.  Not because it's the first quarter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Its weird how the legend of Perk has grown into a monster.

Really, whats everyone so excited about? Perk is extremely limited in his game...thats before taking 6 months off for knee surgery... cant imagine whats hes gonna look like now.

Hes an offensive zero... misses FT's, gets whistled for illegal picks, has bad hands, doesnt rebound... top 2 in Techs... oh, he plays good defense, usually.

Come on folks.... cant even consider him a starter with Shaq around for two extemely important reasons.

First is Shaq is much better player in almost every aspect, even at his age. Perk can do some thiongs better defensively (even tho he also has cement shoes on) but other things (like clobbering oppsing lane intruders into submission) he doesnt

Second and most important why Shaq should start and play against the other teams starters is... he gets them in foul trouble.  Shaqs low post game is hard to stop against any player....and the only way to defend it is hope he misses bunny shots (which he does), double team  or Hack-a Shaq ...

Better to get the other teams starters in foul trouble than to let 2nd teamers foul him at will.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : That might be just because he gets tired man.  Not because it's the first quarter. 
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

Shaq as the starter has been working out well for the Celtics this season. No need to fix something that ain't broke. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Perk gives the team another wide body with six additional fouls to give. Can't see how this can be bad for the team. The topic is about the need for Perk and not whether Shaq is a better player than him. We need both of them healthy, particularly since the health of JON remains suspect. Let the game circumstances dictate who between them should start and who should come off the bench. Besides, Perkins is not likely to play major minutes this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : Shaq as the starter has been working out well for the Celtics this season. No need to fix something that ain't broke. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I don't care either way.  Like I said Shaq will still get the same amount of minutes.  It doesn't matter to me when it happens. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : I don't care either way.  Like I said Shaq will still get the same amount of minutes.  It doesn't matter to me when it happens. 
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll find out after Perk returns. 

From what I saw, Shaq and KG work well together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : Guess we'll find out after Perk returns.  From what I saw, Shaq and KG work well together.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

You may be right man but I think Perk and KG work well together too.  I think anyone would work better next to KG.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Need for Perk : You may be right man but I think Perk and KG work well together too.  I think anyone would work better next to KG.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

The Celtics struggled last season in the 1st qtr. of games. This season the Celtics have more or less remedied that problem. The only difference from last season to this season is Shaq starting at Center and not Perk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it really matters who starts. Shaq just plays 20 minutes a game anyway.  Perk will be fighting for minutes with JON and Davis.  Shaq's minutes wont change.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

"Shaq just plays 20 minutes a game anyway"...  Perk plays about 25...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

When Shaq plays his 20 minutes per game is very important... which is why he should keep starting. He gets teams in foul trouble.

Getting the opponents starters in foul trouble is preferred to Shaq playing against their 2nd teamers. Big difference imo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I would let Perk get game speed down and then start Perk. Shaq and BBD would destroy teams 2nd units. There wouldn't be any worry about Shaq's fouls at that point.

Who's going to match up with Shaq off another teams bench??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]I would let Perk get game speed down and then start Perk. Shaq and BBD would destroy teams 2nd units. There wouldn't be any worry about Shaq's fouls at that point. Who's going to match up with Shaq off another teams bench??
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I dont see why another teams bench matching up against  Shaq matters. Nobody can match up against him, starter or reserve. 

Its not like Shaq is scoring 20 a game for us but one of his values is drawing fouls and forcing double teams ... leaving others open.  Why not let the opponents starters have to be the ones fouling him...and our starters benefitting  from having to double him??

Also, notice how Shaqs numbers have fallen since first Rondo, then KG went down. He obviously needs those 2 to play at a high level. 

With Perk it doesnt matter.. hes no offensive threat even with the ball in his hands under the basket.. usually results with him having to wind-up before jumping and getting his shot blocked or the ball stripped..  Now coming off knee surgery, I wonder if he can touch the rim

No brainer to me  Shaq /> perk

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]Its weird how the legend of Perk has grown into a monster. Really, whats everyone so excited about? Perk is extremely limited in his game...thats before taking 6 months off for knee surgery... cant imagine whats hes gonna look like now. Hes an offensive zero... misses FT's, gets whistled for illegal picks, has bad hands, doesnt rebound... top 2 in Techs... oh, he plays good defense, usually. Come on folks.... cant even consider him a starter with Shaq around for two extemely important reasons. First is Shaq is much better player in almost every aspect, even at his age. Perk can do some thiongs better defensively (even tho he also has cement shoes on) but other things (like clobbering oppsing lane intruders into submission) he doesnt Second and most important why Shaq should start and play against the other teams starters is... he gets them in foul trouble.  Shaqs low post game is hard to stop against any player....and the only way to defend it is hope he misses bunny shots (which he does), double team  or Hack-a Shaq ... Better to get the other teams starters in foul trouble than to let 2nd teamers foul him at will.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Karllost, I would agree with you but the problem is THE REFS DON'T CALL FOULS ON THE OTHER TEAM FOR SHAQ LIKE THEY USED TOO. He's the one that's getting the fouls called on him. I can't remember one game this year when Shaq has put the other teams bigs in foul trouble. I think the refs know that if the C's can have Shaq on the court dominating on this team the game is pretty much over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Maybe it's me but I don't see where starting Shaq is THAT obvious.  Lately, Shaq has given the Celtics NOTHING.  I have never seen Shaq miss so many bunnies as I've seen over the past two or three weeks.  He'll sprinkle in a decent game but oftentimes that's when the whole team is clicking.  Last night is an example.  He looked horrible in the first quarter when, as some posters suggest, he is at his best and is less tired.

Shaq could not get much against Kurt Thomas.  He missed layup after layup and seemed to be stuck in mud.  I know KG is out but I would have thought Shaq would take it up a notch and rebound more.  If he cannot rebound against Kurt Thomas, how can we honestly expect him to get a rebound against Bynum and Gasol.

We made the O'Neal signings to fortify our front line and this hasn't happened.  Other than a productive game here or there, we're not getting much from them.

For that reason, we DO need Perk.  Perk does the dirty work that Shaq and JON are incapable of doing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey, Shaq can't "Take it up a notch" at his age, weight, and leg problems.  He's giving all he can in the first quarter but as the time goes on in the game, its hard for him to move that 325 pounds around.

I think he operates best in the first quarter with the other weapons on our team.  When the game slows and we need more D, that's when Perk is more valuable.  But, when we start off with Perk and Rondo on the floor, we just don't have enough offense on the floor.   That's what I remember about Perk.....good D but combined with Rondo's lack of shooting, that put way too much pressure on Ray, Paul, and KG.  Shaq is able to catch and dunk (heck, just being able to catch is more that Perk did a lot!!!).  He had stone hands, too forever to go up, got blocked from behind, etc.  Let's not forget who Perk REALLY was on offense - a liability.  

I never wanted to play without Perk.  I just don't want him starting the game.  He's no different in that way from Nate and BBD.  He's a great great great help off the bench, but he's not starter material.....we just never had a center who could start the game with offense to help the starters.

Start Shaq, play Perk, BBD, Nate, and others as the situation warrants.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, I think you're right about Shaq not being able to take it up a notch.  However, I have to disagree about his offensive contributions in early parts of games.  I think that can be debated.

Shaq has alot of energy early on and he seems to play too fast and therefore misses too many bunnies early.  He also picks up senseless fouls.  Also, the Celtics have been just as bad offensively starting games this season as last (see huge early Orlando lead on Christmas Day) and I believe it's because we don't look to get Ray, Paul and KG off early.  Instead we're going into this black hole who cannot finish like he once could.  I'd much rather see us get Ray, Paul or KG going and then look to Shaq when we can.

The area of improvement this season has been in our ability to execute and NOT lose games in the 4th quarter like we did last season (except for same Orlando Christmas Day game).  We're doing better at the end of game, not necessarily at the beginning of them.

Quite honestly, at this point in his career, DOES Shaq really have that much of an offensive advantage or offensive game?  I'd rather we get whatever production we get from Shaq to be with the 2nd unit.  Shaq is less of an option with the 1st unit because it's more important to get Ray, Paul and KG going. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to The Need for Perk:
    [QUOTE]i find it funny that after about 10 games this year, everyone was saying, "we dont need perk, he stinks, shaq is twice as good as perk, we are fine, he doesnt matter, dont wanna see him back." and in the last week and a half, ive seen the complete opposite. i will admit i was torn on who should start when both are happy..but seeing the truth now its clear, CANT WAIT FOR PERK!!
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

When Perk was in year 4 he had stone hands, could not participate in the offense, could not make a foul shot, was a complete non-factor unless of course it was proficiency in getting into foul trouble, being a general d ick, p issing about every call, thinking he had never fouled anyone, and convincing Cs fans that he was an important aspect at beating the Magic....... since year 4, ummmm.. he is the same.

He still gets in foul trouble all the time, complains all the time, the difference between his perception if his game and his actual game can be seen from space.

Give me either Lopez, either Gasol, Hibbert, Noah, Howard, and a whole bunch of others and I would be very happy.

Perk gives them another 6 fouls and not a lot more.

What is really odd, on this board there are actually people that upon Perk's retirement there will be a discussion that goes something like this......

Rusell, Wilt, Kareem,.... Perk....  Hakeem, Patrick, Howard, Yao, blah blah blah.....

Simply laughable conversations come on this board and there are some that take them seriously and truly believe their opinions and don't have the ability to step back an look at reality...., like Rondo at the point there are a dozen other centers in the league that would, if exchanged for Perk, the discussion of his need would be irrelevant. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

When Perk returns, you will see the defense intensity and rebounding pick up..of
    course, KerG needs to be there also....Those two make it very difficult for the other team to get second shots..Perk alters a lot of shots that doesnt get recorded on the stat sheets...Ultimatley, Kg is the instigator and every one feeds off his energy..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]When Perk returns, you will see the defense intensity and rebounding pick up..of course, KerG needs to be there also....Those two make it very difficult for the other team to get second shots..Perk alters a lot of shots that doesnt get recorded on the stat sheets...Ultimatley, Kg is the instigator and every one feeds off his energy..
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

This is a very interesting opinion considering their offense and defense are both better this year..... so in other words, Perk has not played one second but they are scoring more points and giving up fewer points than last year............  as I have said any number of other times, if Perk never plays another game for the Cs, it would not be that big a deal.

Sections
Shortcuts