the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

a post game,reminds me of kevin mchale with his upper body movements ,but more athletic than km and has better and longer range jumpshot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:

a post game,reminds me of kevin mchale with his upper body movements ,but more athletic than km and has better and longer range jumpshot.

And he can put the ball on the floor and dribble like most 2-3s. I put him between Kevin and Larry in style. Amazingly skilled for a 3-4, nevermind a 7-footer. As some have said here Dirk 2.0.  Ican-remember  another 7- footer coming out of college who had such vision, passing, dribbling, ans shooting skills. if he stays healthy, get ready, cause KO is our next HUGE Boston Celtics star. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

he already has an award being named to first team summer league,once players start getting awards they seem to keep getting them.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

KO can be a very good NBA player...but let's remember he hasn't played against REAL starting NBA bigmen yet...I promise you once he does he's going to look very, very human indeed.....

KG? Trust me, if you ask DA who he'd rather have at the same points in their career, he'd gladly pick a 23 YEAR OLD  KG...so would I.....

Mel, its not about what he has done in the summer league as much as it is about what the guy can do with a basketball at 7-ft tall. Summer league has only been what has given us a look in at his level of skill against other realistic NBA hopefuls. He is like a three in a Center's body. The guy is incredibley skilled. I believe that he will be dribbling and scoring on smaller players more than posting up against Centers all the time. Dude has got game well beyond the center position and towers above his opposition. Dirk 2.0 sounds lofty, but is it really? What 7-footer can you name has the pure BB skill coming out of college recently that this kid has shown already? Forget the competition, I'm talking just the fundamental basketall skills? Dribbling, vision, passing, shooting, moving with and without the ball, etc.......

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Let's not forget about Sully either.  Looks like DA hit homeruns in 2 drafts in a row.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

KO can be a very good NBA player...but let's remember he hasn't played against REAL starting NBA bigmen yet...I promise you once he does he's going to look very, very human indeed.....

KG? Trust me, if you ask DA who he'd rather have at the same points in their career, he'd gladly pick a 23 YEAR OLD  KG...so would I.....

Mel, its not about what he has done in the summer league as much as it is about what the guy can do with a basketball at 7-ft tall. Summer league has only been what has given us a look in. He is like a three in a Center's body. The guy is incredibley skilled. I believe that he will be dribbling and scoring on smaller players mre than posting up against Centers all the time. Dude has got game well beyond the center position.

Agreed, but I just want to wait until he proves it against some of the more athletic 6-7 to 6-10 guys he'll be playing against for real before I make reservations for him in Springfield.

Yup agreed, but, until somebody says, "Well don't forget about so-and-so, the 7-footer who came ot of U of ? who looked really good like KO and flopped in the NBA, I can't help but REALLY believe what I am seeing. Run the test......who compares to this kid's skill level at 7-ft. straight outta school? I can't come up with anyone over the last 40+years. You? Like at least one NBA exectuive was quoted as saying last week, "Olynyk is proving good enough to get an NBA GM who passed on him in the draft FIRED!" He's better than where he got picked for sure....KO shoulda been a Lottery pick this year.......somebody screwed up! 

About right now, if we could pull a true center, we would have a damned good team in 2-3 years with the guys we have right now. For those looking for a Lottery picknext year too, they are dreaming..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

youth is the answer.

lets not get ahead of ourselves with all the KO hype please.

he looked like an NBA player playing against D-league players in the summer games.

thats' GREAT!!!

but lower the expectations a bit as the season starts. He will still be a rookie and then playing against OTHER REAL NBA players.

so don't expect 18pt, 8 reb, 4 ast a game off the bat folks. it's not fair to him.

the Dirk, Bird, McHale comparisions are WAY too soon!!

let him play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

youth is the answer.

lets not get ahead of ourselves with all the KO hype please.

he looked like an NBA player playing against D-league players in the summer games.

thats' GREAT!!!

but lower the expectations a bit as the season starts. He will still be a rookie and then playing against OTHER REAL NBA players.

so don't expect 18pt, 8 reb, 4 ast a game off the bat folks. it's not fair to him.

the Dirk, Bird, McHale comparisions are WAY too soon!!

let him play.

OK, fair enough, BUT gimme some comparisons to other 7-fters who have come out of college with similar skill sets to this kid. Give it a try KDP.............who?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Let's not forget about Sully either.  Looks like DA hit homeruns in 2 drafts in a row.

Home runs?

I'd be happy with a couple of solid singles.

He certainly didn't wiff with either pick.... so far.

Pud

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Mel, its not about what he has done in the summer league as much as it is about what the guy can do with a basketball at 7-ft tall. Summer league has only been what has given us a look in. He is like a three in a Center's body. The guy is incredibley skilled. I believe that he will be dribbling and scoring on smaller players mre than posting up against Centers all the time. Dude has got game well beyond the center position.

Agreed, but I just want to wait until he proves it against some of the more athletic 6-7 to 6-10 guys he'll be playing against for real before I make reservations for him in Springfield.

Yup agreed, but, until somebody says, "Well don't forget about so-and-so, the 7-footer who came ot of U of ? who looked really good like KO and flopped in the NBA, I can't help but REALLY believe what I am seeing. Run the test......who compares to this kid's skill level at 7-ft. straight outta school? I can't come up with anyone over the last 40+years. You? Like at least one NBA exectuive was quoted as saying last week, "Olynyk is proving good enough to get an NBA GM who passed on him in the draft FIRED!" He's better than where he got picked for sure....KO shoulda been a Lottery pick this year.......somebody screwed up! 

About right now, if we could pull a true center, we would have a damned good team in 2-3 years with the guys we have right now. For those looking for a Lottery picknext year too, they are dreaming..........

Oh heck, I love the guy...I think it's gonna turn out to be one heck of a pick, probably DA's best given what they gave up for what they got...2 2nd rounders to move up?..that's actually NOTHING, those 2 2nd rounders...lmao...what a wrooking....if Rondo gets his mind right, the way this guy runs the floor they might actually get some semblence of a fast break going...they just have to get someone who can board and outlet pass...right now, who can do that?...Not UnFab....they need a center who can bound, play paint defense, block a few on occassion, and outlet pass....

No doubt. So that brings me back to how do we best use Rondo, et al, to get a quality PG AND the 5 you describe. That is the best use of RR at this point, if at all possible, in my mind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to bigbostonceltics's comment:

I agree with MelWitt that this is just Summer League and obviously KO will be facing much stiffer competition. However, another thing {beside his on the block game} that he looks to do better than KG is finish around the Basket. I do NOT want to knock KG and really appreciate what he did for the C's culture but he was quite often times KG seemed very "hurried" when he had the ball near the Basket. Not saying that he brought the ball down for smaller players to hack at but there were countless times he missed point blank shots and/or 2-5 footers and seemed rushed. KO seems to be more poised around the hoop. That being said, KO has a long way to go to even be put in the same breath with Garnett but the many missed bunnies around the hoop by KG was a pet peeve.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

[QUOTE]

Home runs?

I'd be happy with a couple of solid singles.

He certainly didn't wiff with either pick.... so far.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Fab Melo?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I think that the regular season should start before KO becomes the second coming of anyone.

Good players should dominate in the summer league. Great players have to prove themselves against great talent at the next level.

KG did have a great post up game, he just used it less and less as he aged. He found that he could extend his career and still shoot over 50% by shooting more from the elbow. Over the last six years, he led the league as the most consistant offensive player. Not bad for a player that does less post up play.

No, he no longer averages more than 20 points a game, but he is still playing at a high level playing team ball.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

i like the direction the team is heading in,the young kids want to make the playoffs and they want to make it this upcoming season .they may not make it but i like their attitude.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

OK, fair enough, BUT gimme some comparisons to other 7-fters who have come out of college with similar skill sets to this kid. Give it a try KDP.............who?

[/QUOTE]

well......I don't know yet, he has yet to play against REAL NBA players.

he MAY end up being the second coming of Dirk....maybe.

who knows.

if he's anything CLOSE to that level....I will be VERY happy that Ainge got him.

I will note that Dirk averaged 8pt, 3 reb, 1 ast on 40% FG shooting as a rook.

lets not make the expectation sooo hight, that he fails in everyone eyes after just one year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No waiting. That's not how it's done here on BDC forums. We need all encompassing, accurate generalizations about a player's ability and career trajectory long before he ever plays in a single game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

It is no fun to be like Bill SImmons and wait until after a Jeff Green is doing some Worthy imitations  for  3 months to say, "Boy, Jeff Green is starting to become a strong finisher on the break."  Thank you brilliant Bill.  The guys who saw Jeff flash his stuff last preseason and noted it are much more interesting.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Woah woah woah, hold the phone.

Did the OP seriously say "more athletic than KG" and nobody on here corrected him?

I mean, if you're saying a 22 year old Olynyk vs. a 37 year old KG ... maybe

Otherwise, its not even close. Are you kidding me? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

it's funny that people are talking about how he gets out and runs now....that seemed to be the biggest knock at first,  but, yeah, he definitlely runs AND he can handle the ball...great pick