the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Re: the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

In response to R9R's comment:

Woah woah woah, hold the phone.

Did the OP seriously say "more athletic than KG" and nobody on here corrected him?

I mean, if you're saying a 22 year old Olynyk vs. a 37 year old KG ... maybe

Otherwise, its not even close. Are you kidding me? 

He said he is more athletic than Mchale.  Which may be true, unless you take into account the average player in the NBA is much more athletic now than during Mchale's time.   Mchale would probably rank higher in athleticism compared to his contemporaries than Olynyk would against the current NBA. 

Big Al was supposed to be the next Mchale too.  Sheesh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

OK, fair enough, BUT gimme some comparisons to other 7-fters who have come out of college with similar skill sets to this kid. Give it a try KDP.............who?

well......I don't know yet, he has yet to play against REAL NBA players.

he MAY end up being the second coming of Dirk....maybe.

who knows.

if he's anything CLOSE to that level....I will be VERY happy that Ainge got him.

I will note that Dirk averaged 8pt, 3 reb, 1 ast on 40% FG shooting as a rook.

lets not make the expectation sooo hight, that he fails in everyone eyes after just one year.

[/QUOTE]
    OK, lets start with Dirk's rookie year. I can with say with complete certainty that KO will average more than double digit-pts per game as a rookie if he remains healthy. Argument???? The expectations from me are based on his actual skill level right now. The guy is a matchup nightmare, period. He will shoot 10-15 ft jumpers over 3s and 4s ALL DAY LONG. Argument???? I'm not predicting "as he developes", I'm talking about right now. He is an inside outside type of guy. He will kil 3-4s on the post and from the perimeter. Arguments???? This isn't a guess. This is based on a guy who should have been a lottery pick and is 7 FEET TALL AT THE 3-4 most of the time. He is a freak. plain and simple. Dribble drives, step back fades, up and unders, already in the NCAA tourney and all summer league long. Again, NBA executives have been quoted as saying "OLNYK has proven in summer league that he is already good enough to get GMs who didn't pick him in the draft FIRED." Nuff said??? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

And here I didn't even want the kid.... at the center position. B4 the draft, I was wanting them to take Dieng or some other defensive minded center (if that's the route they were going to take). DID NOT WANT THEM TO TAKE KO. Shows why Danny boy is the man for this job and not me. Bumping him over to PF position with his skill set is definetly the way to go. Not that he won't play a bit at the center position. One thing I noticed the scouting reports got wrong was this kids rebounding skill. Looks like he can rebound to me. Dominant in summer league, now let's see how he  does against the best in the world.

I'm of the opinion that I don't know squat about scouting talent. Last year I wanted Leonard or Melo. Not sure how Leonard is working out, but Melo..... geez.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

KO is not McHale.  McHale could be standing flat footed and still shoot over the top of many players.  He was tall and had incredibly long arms.  He was also a fantastic defensive players as a result.

KO is going to be KO, better ball handling skills, shooting range and speed than McHale, somewhat defensively challenged like Dirk and with shades (just shades) of the passing skills of Bird.  He seems to be unique and has great potential to be an excellent player.

I have to hand it to Danny, he swings for the fences.  When he connects, it looks great and when he misses, it looks bad.  JJJ for Marshon Brooks?  Fab Melo has looked bad so far.  But pulling in Sullinger was excellent.  Now he pulls out Olynyk, a fromer point guard who suddenly grew to be a 7 fter, did not get a chance to play because of big men ahead of him, took a year off to develop his big man game and really only has had 1 year of competitive big man experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

KG in his prime or even in 2008 (before he got injured and lost most of his above the rim game) would eat up KO 9 out of 10 plays. Let's get real. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

were not talking about kg versus ko just the difference in their offensive game.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Some comparisons made by NBA scouts;

Bargnani

Hawes

Splitter (floor) to B Lopez (ceiling)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Some here have already anointed Oly as an All-Star !!!!!

posted at 7/13/2013 8:29 AM EDT

• Fierce34
    • First: 12/2/2009
    • Last: 7/13/2013

Definitely KO is the next Celtics star.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:

a post game,reminds me of kevin mchale with his upper body movements ,but more athletic than km and has better and longer range jumpshot.

the only thing that you said that was correct was olynyk has longer J range.  the rest of it you're wrong.  mchale had way better moves in the post juking and shooting.  not even close.  nobody has been close other than maybe al jefferson and a couple other thoroughbred post guys in the last 20 years.

the problem with olynyks little shovel shot where he's pushing it with both hands is that it's easily blocked and no compelling fakes are in store for anyone who is swinging to cover up the initial bad defense.  mchale had impossible to block shots that were infallible when 2 or 3 guys were draped all over him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

KO is not McHale.  McHale could be standing flat footed and still shoot over the top of many players.  He was tall and had incredibly long arms.  He was also a fantastic defensive players as a result.

KO is going to be KO, better ball handling skills, shooting range and speed than McHale, somewhat defensively challenged like Dirk and with shades (just shades) of the passing skills of Bird.  He seems to be unique and has great potential to be an excellent player.

I have to hand it to Danny, he swings for the fences.  When he connects, it looks great and when he misses, it looks bad.  JJJ for Marshon Brooks?  Fab Melo has looked bad so far.  But pulling in Sullinger was excellent.  Now he pulls out Olynyk, a fromer point guard who suddenly grew to be a 7 fter, did not get a chance to play because of big men ahead of him, took a year off to develop his big man game and really only has had 1 year of competitive big man experience.

also worth mentioning that mchale also was very barrel chested and strong for his weight.  olynyk on the other hand looks like a tub of pudding on the upper body.  needs to bulk up.  i'm sure he will. 

cripes, give the kid 5 years to play pro ball before you call him mchale already.  just ridiculous

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

How could you possibly compare oly to splitter.  First of all, right now splitter is better.  But beyond that, splitter is a true center.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Well, I agree with the first two.  You know what meatloaf says.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

From day 1 I said Oly reminds me of a young Dirk.

Dirk is one of the worst defenders in NBA history.

But he's an All-Star and he has a ring.

This one we agree on.  To borrow from Tommy Heinsohn, "The most importnt thing is for the rookies to feel that they belong.  They can build up from there."  He made that statement about Sullinger.

There is no question that KO believes that he belongs, just like Melo does not believe that he belongs.  KO has enough skills and room to develop that he will be an All Star.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

From day 1 I said Oly reminds me of a young Dirk.

Dirk is one of the worst defenders in NBA history.

But he's an All-Star and he has a ring.

Fierce, since we are making bold predictions. I predict that Sullinger becomes a better player than Olynyk, though I doubt either make it as allstars.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

How could you possibly compare oly to splitter.  First of all, right now splitter is better.  But beyond that, splitter is a true center.  

I don't know .... Fungus thinks I said that but as my post says, those are some comparisons made by NBA Scouts (not me).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Kellly O' played well in a handful of summer league games - let's put him in the hall of fame. 

"The guys who saw Jeff flash his stuff last preseason and noted it are much more interesting. "

Actually the most relevant guys are guys like me who still worry if Green is soft and wonder why he still seems to disappear in long stretches. I'm not really interested in those who can look into their crystal ball and see that Green has potential. He needs to show he can bring it, night in and night out. 

That said he did have a surprisingly good playoff run and I am hoping he will pan out. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't know .... Fungus thinks I said that but as my post says, those are some comparisons made by NBA Scouts (not me).

[/QUOTE]

I meant you in the universal sense.  I guess what I should have said was "they".  whoever said it was t thinking.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I meant you in the universal sense.  I guess what I should have said was "they".  whoever said it was t thinking.

[/QUOTE]

And that was his floor comparison ... his ceiling comparison was B Lopez but let me point out that he was making the comparison based on Oly being a center and of course we know that Danny intends to use him more at PF. He also said he'd have a lengthy career but wouldn't be an All-Star for those that like to make wild predictions based on 4 days work at summer league .... Hahaha!!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1670490-kelly-olynyks-pro-player-comparison