the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: the one thing kelly o has that kg does not

For whoever said DA hit 2 home runs the past 2 drafts in Sully and KO...wait a minute

Sully showed us some stuff we really needed... boards and an inside game. No question hes a player that can contribute. However, there was always concen about his back from other teams and voila, he missed a big chunk of last season because of it.. How successful his surgery was is an unknown and his ability to be the same player is also an unknown. For this reason, jury is still out on Sully.  If his back issues were a new development, then I wouldnt hold DA accountable.  Jury still out

KO.... hes looked good in the summer league and will probably be a player for us. But its the summer league. Each year there is postings here about our rookies looking good at times in the summer league and theyre the next _____________.  Time to let KO play a season in the NBA and then make a judgment as to whether he was a great pick.

Lastly, KO's post game and Ill relate it to his defensive game. Of the couple games where I watched him play some in the summer league, I noticed many times KO going up to block a shot and missing it.. His body was there, had decent position but it seems he has shorter arms compared to other players.. Im wondering how that translates in his effectiveness posting in the nba..  Maybe some of his moves remind of McHale but dont get carried away. Kevin was a magician down low with a nice mid range jumper and played defense and blocked shots.  More particularly his post moves were one of the greatest  ever imo... perhaps with Kareems sky hook and a couple others

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

I'm worried about Sully's conditioning.  I thought that this surgery would be a godsend for him in that respect.  But according to some at summerleague when he was there as a spectator he looked heavy. Even for him.  He said himself that he needs to work on conditioning.

I myself have had a discectomy.  When it was done I was 210lbs at 6'2", about 20 lbs overweight.  The #1 thing my dr stressed is that it was very important for the future of my back that I stay light.  The stationary bike and long swimming sessions, combined with light impact yoga brought me down to 180 in 6 months.  I wasn't allowed to do bulk building exercises so the weight just dripped off.

Sully should have the same or similar routine.  He should be the lightest he's ever been after the surgery, unless he isn't taking it seriously.  Which unfortunately seems like it may be the case.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

From day 1 I said Oly reminds me of a young Dirk.

Dirk is one of the worst defenders in NBA history.

But he's an All-Star and he has a ring. 

To be close to Dirk KO needs:

1) A work ethic close to Dirk who is IMO on the level of Ray and Kobe.

2) BBIQ like Dirk.

Dirk is a bad 1vs1 defender cause he has poor laterel speed but with a man covering him up (Chandler) he is an ok team defender due to his BBIQ.

On Top: Dirk is taller, especially due to his arms, which makes his jumper impossible to be blocked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

For whoever said DA hit 2 home runs the past 2 drafts in Sully and KO...wait a minute

Sully showed us some stuff we really needed... boards and an inside game. No question hes a player that can contribute. However, there was always concen about his back from other teams and voila, he missed a big chunk of last season because of it.. How successful his surgery was is an unknown and his ability to be the same player is also an unknown. For this reason, jury is still out on Sully.  If his back issues were a new development, then I wouldnt hold DA accountable.  Jury still out

KO.... hes looked good in the summer league and will probably be a player for us. But its the summer league. Each year there is postings here about our rookies looking good at times in the summer league and theyre the next _____________.  Time to let KO play a season in the NBA and then make a judgment as to whether he was a great pick.

Lastly, KO's post game and Ill relate it to his defensive game. Of the couple games where I watched him play some in the summer league, I noticed many times KO going up to block a shot and missing it.. His body was there, had decent position but it seems he has shorter arms compared to other players.. Im wondering how that translates in his effectiveness posting in the nba..  Maybe some of his moves remind of McHale but dont get carried away. Kevin was a magician down low with a nice mid range jumper and played defense and blocked shots.  More particularly his post moves were one of the greatest  ever imo... perhaps with Kareems sky hook and a couple others

Correct on most if not all counts. However, one doesn't need to be a shot blocker to be an excellent defender(although it doesn't hurt). For instance, Karl Malone was an excellent defender w/out blocking many shots as well as Seed(BB) in Orlando. Of course strength is also a factor but that can be added as well(Karl Malone). Notice both of my examples are PF's. Centers' should have the ability to block more than an occasional shot, however. One of the two positions should have a shot blocker. Neither Sully or KO seem to possess this capacity. I hope it doesn't present a problem when they are paired together...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

[QUOTE]

Correct on most if not all counts. However, one doesn't need to be a shot blocker to be an excellent defender(although it doesn't hurt). For instance, Karl Malone was an excellent defender w/out blocking many shots as well as Seed(BB) in Orlando. Of course strength is also a factor but that can be added as well(Karl Malone). Notice both of my examples are PF's. Centers' should have the ability to block more than an occasional shot, however. One of the two positions should have a shot blocker. Neither Sully or KO seem to possess this capacity. I hope it doesn't present a problem when they are paired together...

[/QUOTE] When they are paired together could be a problem, because neither is a great athlete, or are great leapers. But they both seem to have the ability to be in the right place to get the rebound. Both seem to have high bbiq's and are good at getting position. Maybe it will work out, KO has been better than expected so far, but it is only summer league.

By the way, it's good to see you posting again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] When they are paired together could be a problem, because neither is a great athlete, or are great leapers. But they both seem to have the ability to be in the right place to get the rebound. Both seem to have high bbiq's and are good at getting position. Maybe it will work out, KO has been better than expected so far, but it is only summer league.

[/QUOTE]

It really is. Hey Remember when I used to troll Pud constantly (because he is so easy) and then Tomobo and you and Karl got involved, and then all four of you all got worked up and started freaking out every time I commented and you all thought I liked Rondo even though I dont at all?

And I used to laugh and laugh and you 4 all put on your hard hats and went to work fighting about Rondo, when you were doing it with someone who could care less and was just pushing your buttons?

Oh man that was a lot of fun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks Ky, I've always valued your insight. I think you could be correct in their collective BB IQ's making up their lack of athleticism. Otherwise we will have to rely on offense & clock management to win games. There's always the lottery card as well(less reliable)...

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It really is. Hey Remember when I used to troll Pud constantly (because he is so easy) and then Tomobo and you and Karl got involved, and then all four of you all got worked up and started freaking out every time I commented and you all thought I liked Rondo even though I dont at all?

And I used to laugh and laugh and you 4 all put on your hard hats and went to work fighting about Rondo, when you were doing it with someone who could care less and was just pushing your buttons?

Oh man that was a lot of fun.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. I don't remember that

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ky, I always valued your insight. I hope you're correct about their collective BB IQ's compensating for their lack of athleticism. Otherwise, clock management & offense will have to win the day. There's always the tanking option but that makes for a long year...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I'm sorry. I don't remember that

[/QUOTE] I thought I remembered  a familiar serpent song/dance refrain.. but as it turns out I was just feeling some  intestinal gas.

Sorry poster.... make an impression next time.... might help jog my memory a bit.

Pud

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Says the weasel that got mad at Ainge for picking Jared Sullinger over Moultrie and PJ3.

HAHAHA

If I'm not mistaken that was not about Sully but over his Melo selection ... we didn't need to make two risky picks back to back when after Sully both Moultrie and PJ3 were available. And it seems that I and others here have been correct so far ... Melo is a bust!

I still wish we had taken PJ3 over Melo. I have little hope that Melo ever becomes an NBA player of any significance.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to Jump-ball-overtime's comment:

I think that the regular season should start before KO becomes the second coming of anyone.

Good players should dominate in the summer league. Great players have to prove themselves against great talent at the next level.

KG did have a great post up game, he just used it less and less as he aged. He found that he could extend his career and still shoot over 50% by shooting more from the elbow. Over the last six years, he led the league as the most consistant offensive player. Not bad for a player that does less post up play.

No, he no longer averages more than 20 points a game, but he is still playing at a high level playing team ball.

Will Kelly be an NBA star? I find it mildly amusing that we want to be cautious with expectations for Olynyk's NBA career yet already begin to compare his game with past NBA stars. I watched the Orlando Summer League games and came away extremely impressed with Kelly. Yet as a fan my opinion doesn't begin to compare with what other high profile "experts" are saying. Can they too be fooled or are we all seeing a star in waiting who needs PT to round out his game?

It has been rightly commented that Kelly has an all-around skill set "rarely" seen in a 7' player. Despite the Summer League level of competition cream does rise to the top. What endears me most about Kelly's game is that he is multidimentional in what he offers. One past criticism is that Kelly is so busy with help defense that he is out of position to defend his own man. Does he do this out of team necessity or because he ..ala Melo...doesn't understand the finer points of basketball? The answer should be obvious.

I saw in Kelly a 7' PG, a point forward  ala Bird, movement around the basket ala McHale and court vision ala Rondo. Oh, did I mention that he seems to be a Dirk clone too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to Jump-ball-overtime's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that the regular season should start before KO becomes the second coming of anyone.

Good players should dominate in the summer league. Great players have to prove themselves against great talent at the next level.

KG did have a great post up game, he just used it less and less as he aged. He found that he could extend his career and still shoot over 50% by shooting more from the elbow. Over the last six years, he led the league as the most consistant offensive player. Not bad for a player that does less post up play.

No, he no longer averages more than 20 points a game, but he is still playing at a high level playing team ball.

Will Kelly be an NBA star? I find it mildly amusing that we want to be cautious with expectations for Olynyk's NBA career yet already begin to compare his game with past NBA stars. I watched the Orlando Summer League games and came away extremely impressed with Kelly. Yet as a fan my opinion doesn't begin to compare with what other high profile "experts" are saying. Can they too be fooled or are we all seeing a star in waiting who needs PT to round out his game?

It has been rightly commented that Kelly has an all-around skill set "rarely" seen in a 7' player. Despite the Summer League level of competition cream does rise to the top. What endears me most about Kelly's game is that he is multidimentional in what he offers. One past criticism is that Kelly is so busy with help defense that he is out of position to defend his own man. Does he do this out of team necessity or because he ..ala Melo...doesn't understand the finer points of basketball? The answer should be obvious.

I saw in Kelly a 7' PG, a point forward  ala Bird, movement around the basket ala McHale and court vision ala Rondo. Oh, did I mention that he seems to be a Kirk clone too!

Way to go Mosk-- cal it like theyare playing it.  Kelly's style is more Bird-like than Dirk-like.  Others here are good to temper our exuberance--but--- Kelly is playing like Bird when he was his Indiana State level.  Kelly is playing great shooting forward and point forward even though he is guarding a big on defense.   He breaks the old molds in terms of position.  RedsArmy quoted some exec as saying he provides positon flexibility for a rebuilding team because he can play with anybody as you don't know who will end up on your team.  Kelly will play well with Sully no matter what they call the officail position of each player.  Stevens will just have to give proper help with some defensive match ups.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts