The playoffs---- Fools gold for the mediocre teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

The playoffs---- Fools gold for the mediocre teams

Making the playoffs is relatively easy. Being crowned the champ! Now thats another story. Here are some facts regarding just how difficult it is to be #1.

Since the 1979-80 season 37 teams have had a winning percentage of .750 or better. 16 won championships for a win percent of 43.2%.

Since 1979-80, 140 teams (all made the playoffs) had a winning percent of between .650 and .749. 16 won a championship for a 11,4% rate.

Since 1979-80, 341 teams (311 made the playoffs) had a winning percent of between.500 and.649.  2 won a championship for a .006% rate. Those 2 teams were the 1994-95 Rockets with a.573 win percent. That club was led by Olajuwon and Drexler- Both Hall Of Famers. The other team was the 2005-06 Heat with a winning percent of.634. That team featured Shaquille, Wade,Mourning and Peyton.

Just making the playoffs doesn't do it for me. However I realize that some fans are content with that and I applaud their optimism

seems

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: The playoffs---- Fools gold for the mediocre teams

I don't believe that any sane Celtics fan believes that if the Celtics can make the playoffs then they can win it all... 

So are you implying that the Celtics should not play hard and just let teams roll-over them and lose on purpose?  Look, world class coaches and competitive athletes don't work that way.    

What is the point of your post?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I agree and disagree.

Personally, I have no idea what this team really needs to become a true championship contender, other than a "presence in the paint / rim protector" This is why I would be thrilled if the Celtics over-achieve and make it as the 4th seed. This way we get a realistic 1st round matchup that may be winnable. If we win, we get to see how we match up in a series against MIA or IND. This experience will be valuable for our guys, but also for our front office who have the chance to make moves in the offseason to become that contender. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't believe that any sane Celtics fan believes that if the Celtics can make the playoffs then they can win it all... 

So are you implying that the Celtics should not play hard and just let teams roll-over them and lose on purpose?  Look, world class coaches and competitive athletes don't work that way.    

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

There is still great value in making the playoffs even if you have no chance of winning the title.  This is especially true for teams developing young talent. 

And I do not agree that making the playoffs is easy.  Just ask that genuis Rick Pitino.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eldunker

Players should play to win-Coaches should coach to win. General managers should wield and deal as they see fit with an eye to the future as well as the present.

Three ways to improve a team. Free agency,trades and the draft. Personaly I'm quite happy when they lose(for draft pick reasons). I also hope that Ainge is able to make moves that create signifcant Cap space. I also believe that trades that are made should be made with an eye on the future.

seems

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I'm actually ambivalent about the C's making the playoffs.  On the one hand, even if they get their heads handed to them, it can provide excellent developmental experience for guys like Sullinger and Olynyk.

On the other of course it decreases their chances of getting that great player you can bulid around.

I am really enjoying watching this team right now.  So far, they've exceeded all my expectations and being in first place with a sizzling .400 win percentage has nothing to do with it.

If DA decides to go the tank route, I'll just root for the Pacers and put the C's on the back burner.  How can a Celtic fan not like a team built by Larry Bird?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"And I do not agree that making the playoffs is easy.  Just ask that genuis Rick Pitino."

hmm well it's not that hard to do this year, as of the standings right now. The Celts are historically bad for a division winner - that's a fact. 

I applaud them for playing over their heads. 

I like how hard they are playing. 

Ainge needs to decide whether he wants to push for playoffs or lottery and make roster adjustements accordingly...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Everything is being ruined by media control of our minds.

The games are played for a reason , don't you even enjoy watching the Celtics ?

I'm sick of this theme about tanking and lottery talk

I'm sick of this "fantasy" element dominating discussion of the NBA , it's ruining the sport

I watch every Celtic game I can and I love watching Sully, Olynyk, Bradley, Green, Fav, Crawford, Lee, Bass ,ect....

I like seeing them come together and I like seeing the young guys learn how to be winners in the NBA

Why don't you just shut off the Celtics until the 3rd week in June if that's all you care about ?

Everything is being ruined !

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everything is being ruined by media control of our minds.

The games are played for a reason , don't you even enjoy watching the Celtics ?

I'm sick of this theme about tanking and lottery talk

I'm sick of this "fantasy" element dominating discussion of the NBA , it's ruining the sport

I watch every Celtic game I can and I love watching Sully, Olynyk, Bradley, Green, Fav, Crawford, Lee, Bass ,ect....

I like seeing them come together and I like seeing the young guys learn how to be winners in the NBA

Why don't you just shut off the Celtics until the 3rd week in June if that's all you care about ?

Everything is being ruined !

[/QUOTE]

why don't you just stay off of BDC if you can't handle the fact that other people have different opions than you?

[/QUOTE]

You might need to buy a mirror.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SeemsToMe made a point. You might not agree with it but he did make a point. Your own statement:

"Look, world class coaches and competitive athletes don't work that way"

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with this statement as do the facts. A world class coach (Doc, okay up for debate with some of you) and competitive athletes (PP) have DONE IT in 2006-2007. DA was the man overseeing. It happened. 

This is not a Disney movie. Professional sports is deadly cut-throat. College players get $$ in brown paper bags, players tapped up, contract buy-outs & re-signing. Every trick in the book has been used. DA wants to win championships. Fair play to him. He's rebuilt a culture of getting the Celtics to think like that. If he pursues tanking then let him alone and don't cry about Celtic pride and playing hard, and professional athletes etc. It's been done. Get over it. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some Celtic fans haven't learned their lesson or they just became Celtic fans when KG and Ray came to Boston.

I think some of us remember 1993 and 1995, when the Celts made the playoffs with the likes of Dee Brown, Rick Fox, and Xavier McDaniel.

How did that work out for the Celts?

If the Celts make the playoffs this season and they have a losing record, that means the Celts will be picking 15th or 16th in the 2014 Draft.

So it will be a 1st round playoff exit and no lottery pick.

That's the worst case scenario.

[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to Louisio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some Celtic fans haven't learned their lesson or they just became Celtic fans when KG and Ray came to Boston.

I think some of us remember 1993 and 1995, when the Celts made the playoffs with the likes of Dee Brown, Rick Fox, and Xavier McDaniel.

How did that work out for the Celts?

Well said my man.  

If the Celts make the playoffs this season and they have a losing record, that means the Celts will be picking 15th or 16th in the 2014 Draft.

So it will be a 1st round playoff exit and no lottery pick.

That's the worst case scenario.

[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000!!!

[/QUOTE]